PDA

View Full Version : Road trip hair advice and tips...please

Alaskanheart
August 25th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Hi all, its been awhile since ive posted, been very busy.

So Im moving back to Alaska this sunday.Were driving from California with our cargo trailer, and its going to be at least a 6 day trip, with kids.We will be stopping at hotels along the way, but some nights well be camping out.Im excited!

Im packing very very light.

So does anyone have any tips or experience with road trip hair?

Also , anyone have any cold weather tips ?My hair has been so dry with the 100 and up weather Weve been having here.

Thank You:)

sahiba
August 25th, 2008, 11:38 PM
How about oiling it lightly throughout your trip.It will protect your hair from pollution and give it some moisture.

Islandgrrl
August 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Wear it up and out of the way. In whatever style allows you to be really comfortable. Moisturize as often as you can and drink boatloads of water!

Chromis
August 26th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I've never really done much different with mine on road trips. Shampoo bar like normal (and on a road trip it's easy to bring along a small thing of ACV to rinse with even!) and oiling with either coconut oil or a lotion bar. Stretch out the washes more to avoid the sopping wet hair in the car or wash in the evening. Wear in a way that gets along well with your car's headrest.

C_Bookworm
September 1st, 2008, 12:12 AM
if you want to open up the windows to feel the fresh air, just make sure your hair is tied back first. i get terrible tangles when i don't

Liliana
September 1st, 2008, 12:30 AM
Good luck on your trip and have fun. Aren't you glad you'll miss the mosquitoes in Tok? When I was there they were quite giant.

A Ficcare works quite well. I find it's comfy when I lean my head against the seat. Easy to refix when it gets mussed up. For me, a braid gets messy and I look a fright by end of day.

I don't know about cold weather tips as I am a New Mexico girl now.

lawyermom
September 1st, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm in Southeast so I don't have to deal with the very dry/cold - but did want to say welcome back :)

kimberlily
September 1st, 2008, 05:03 PM
How about oiling it lightly throughout your trip.It will protect your hair from pollution and give it some moisture.

This saved my hair (and my daughter's) on the way home to visit family (we live in Northern California but we're originally from Vancouver BC). My hair mostly stayed in two braids and I put a satin cover on my seat to cut down on the rubbing. My daughter's hair matts badly and won't stay in a braid, so I just kept oiling and giving her hair a brushing every time we stopped to eat.

Xandergrammy
September 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Whenever we go on a road trip, I wear my hair in double braids. I find it the most comfortable hairstyle for traveling.

Arctic_Mama
September 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Well, the weather in Anchorage isn't bad at all - wet, and a big storm is coming in, but pretty nice around 40-ish. I second a good hair-oiling and maybe wearing some sort of headcovering during travel to keep road grime from the Alcan off.

When I moved up from San Diego, for college, I know my hair took a good month to acclimate. Coconut oil was about the ONLY thing that warded off the humidity/cold issues (FRIZZ!). GOod luck and safe travels :)

florenonite
September 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
I find that two French braids works well as they seem to stay in for days on end without getting messy. Also, for the cold weather, moisture is always good.