PDA

View Full Version : Soo... I cut my hair. Now I have NO tangles!

Rufflebutt
January 27th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Some of you who may remember me know that my hair was fairly long, even if it wasn't in the best condition. Today I cut my hair, it was at hip and now I'm a little past BSL, grazing MBL.

And while my hair didn't tangle a whole lot before, it had a few snags and a fair amount of splits.

Anyways, ever since the cut not only is my hemline so much thicker but my hair DOESN'T TANGLE AT ALL. I've had it down all day, not a single tangle. I'm totally not complaining and I'm a bit happy I got rid of the damaged ends! Even if I did lose some length, I'll grow it back soon enough.

When was the last time you did a major trim on your hair? How was the condition of your hair afterwards compared to before?

AnqeIicDemise
January 27th, 2013, 06:30 PM
My last trim was in August. I had to argue with my stylist to actually *get* a trim as she insisted my ends didn't need it. Then she remembered I'm trying to get rid of layers so she begrudgingly snipped off an inch. I love the feel of freshly trimmed ends. So thick! I wanted to say 'smooth and silky' but that's predominantly the status of my ends unless I have to clarify... but they definitely feel much, much thicker after a trim. I remember reading an article or maybe a post in the archives how the cuticle is open wide and holds more moisture after a trim.

mzBANGBANG
January 27th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I did what I felt was a massive trim in November and while I missthe length, the hemline was entirely worth it. In a few months you'll see noticeable growth and it will look and feel so much better!

Zabethbartsch
January 27th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I've been thinking I might have to do something similar soon... The frustrating part is that everything but the canopy is fine, but that top layer of hair hasn't had a trim in about 2 or 3 years and it definitely shows. I will NEVER have layers again (just finished growing them out!), so I think I'll have to cut an inch or so to head off the damage. I hope I feel as positively about it as you do, Rufflebutt!

leslissocool
January 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I recently cut from way past TBL (middle of my butt LOL) to hip, 6 inches total.

I miss the length, but it was worth it. I got all my layers out. I did it myself too, and my hair feels amazing.

jacqueline101
January 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I'm trying to go a year without trims. Mine has been tangly a lot lately.

spidermom
January 27th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I recently cut back from nearly classic to hip, 6-7 inches, and it didn't make one bit of difference. It's still a tangly mass of split ends.

Ambystoma
January 27th, 2013, 07:19 PM
I recently took off a very generous inch and a half (which is the most I've trimmed at once since chin, so it felt huge) since I had some obvious thinning happening in the last two inches and I'm really happy with it, my whole head of hair looks twice as thick as before, which was a surprise since as a wavy the true extent of the badness was only visible when straight so I thought I was "getting away with it" :laugh:. I'm glad you're enjoying your new trim Rufflebutt - here's to happy hemlines!

mariazelie
January 27th, 2013, 07:49 PM
In September I had about 8 inches cut and got a light fringe of bangs. It was about 3 inches above waist before the cut. I was very happy with the change and I feel like it still looks "trimmed" and nice after four months which is unusual for me, but I don't blowdry, curl, color or any of that anymore. All that length, which I was so proud of (wanted to see if I could do it) had gotten so tangly and ratty that I just gave up on the length. Plus my scalp had gone through some tender spells and I thought I would start over. I made sure it was long enough to put up and even wore it down some before I got into wool for winter, which tangles my hair like crazy. I would love to put the picture up, but alas, nothing works when I try. Recently I did put a profile picture on Facebook so I am not sure why I can't post the picture here since I have thirty some posts. I will try again sometime.

maborosi
January 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
I had my last major cut last year. I went from waist to chin. Well...at that length, it was kinda obviously not going to tangle so much. :)

It's great to hear your hair's in good shape now! I'm glad the trim helped you!

~maborosi~

lole18
January 27th, 2013, 09:43 PM
You're so lucky! my hair was never past my shoulder and it still was tangled :( it finally reached apl and i trimmed it to 2 inches shorter than sl :( i wish my hair didn't tangle or thin out this much! but congrats :)