PDA

View Full Version : Rinsing the scalp properly

Hiriel
January 27th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Maybe an odd question, how did I manage to get this far without figuring this out...?
Anyway, I want to try out ACV scalp rinses, to see if they help with my dry flaky scalp. However, my hair is thick, and past TBL now, so when wet it lies thick and heavy over my head. Rinsing out shampoo and the like I manage just fine, I lift sections of hair and there's unlimited amount of water in the shower. However, when I tried to dilute some ACV and rinse my hair and scalp, I felt like I only ever really rinsed the canopy. I had the same kind of problem when trying to give my scalp a sugar scrub.

What's the best trick for managing to rinse the scalp properly without needing bucketfuls of ACV? :p

Kelikea
January 27th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Use an applicator bottle and squeeze the vinegar rinse directly into your scalp.

Othala
January 27th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I half-fill the basin of my bathroom sink with warm water, add a capful of ACV and dip my head a few times. I then use a large empty plastic yoghurt pot to scoop up some of the ACV-water and douse the sides and back of my head with it.

Tristania
January 27th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I always wash my hair upside-down, I find that it's the best way to get my scalp properly clean without having to move my hair much.

PianoPlaye
January 27th, 2013, 11:05 AM
I like the sink idea. :beerchug:
I get the same canopy feeling with just a shower but hadn't figured out how to get around it.
That said, in the current thick snow in Lancashire, plans to try ACV are on hold!

NightOwl26
January 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I used a spray bottle. Turn the nozzle to stream instead of mist. It shoots through the hair into the scalp.

Wildcat Diva
January 27th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I also use a basin and plastic cup and rinse upside down, turning my head this way and that.

Naiadryade
January 27th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I used to use ACV on my scalp for dandruff, and it helped a LOT. Hope you have as much success with it!

I would fill a bowl with ACV and water, and take that and a spoon into the bathroom. Leaning over the sink, I would start by carefully spooning the ACV onto my scalp at my natural part. Then I would part my hair an inch or two over from there, and spoon more onto the scalp at the new part. I would continue like this, making lots of parts to get the ACV directly to my scalp, all over my head until my whole scalp (and, inevitably, the first few inches of hair all over my head) was wet. It was indeed a long and painstaking process (took maybe 15 minutes), but I didn't want to get it all over the rest of my hair since I used a much stronger dilution for dandruff treatments than I did for regular hair rinses. I would leave it like this as long as I could stand--at least an hour, but sometimes until it was dry. Then I would shower and rinse it out, letting it run through the rest of my hair with the rinse water for good measure.

When I do rinses (dilute ACV, herbal teas, etc) that I want to get all over my scalp AND hair, I fill a quart jar with my rinse solution. (You might need more for your thick TBL+ hair, mine is ii/iii and BSL.) I start by dipping my ends in the jar, feeding my hair into the jar until the jar is touching my head. Then I squeeze the excess back into the jar. I do this 3 times: once with my hair hanging over each shoulder and bringing the jar up to my temples, and once in back. Then I pour it from the jar into my scalp a little at a time, moving all over my head to make sure I get everywhere. I start right above my forehead while leaning my head back. Then I lean forward and let my hair hang in front of me, pouring onto the back of my neck, the back of my head, and the crown of my head. Then I turn my head to each side and pour onto the sides of my head. With super thick hair, you might even want to part your hair halfway between the middle of your head and your ear and pour some there, and repeat on the other side. I finish by pouring whatever is left directly over the top of my head. This way I am able to get all of my hair and scalp covered.

Of course, if you filled a sink or basin with your solution and just dunked everything in it, that would be just as effective and faster, but you'd probably need more of your solution and you'd end up wasting more too. So it depends on your priorities.

LornaDoone
January 27th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I second using an applicator bottle. I have done ACV rinses for several years now. I used to make up my rinse in a jug and pour it over my head, using my fingers to lift the hair so the rinse could reach my scalp (or so I thought). A couple months ago I started using an applicator bottle for my ACV rinses. I was amazed at how much that helped my scalp. My scalp used to break out and could even get a little scabby sometimes, but no more!

Hiriel
January 28th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I used a spray bottle. Turn the nozzle to stream instead of mist. It shoots through the hair into the scalp.

Hm, this is a really good idea! I've tried to fill a little tub and dip my head in it, but it felt very clumsy, though I think it's me who's clumsy, not the method ;)
The spray bottle or applicator bottle sounds very promising though :)

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

Vrindi
January 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM

What she said! Spray bottle works!

shutterpillar
January 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM
It's been mentioned already, but I am another that uses a squirt bottle to do my ACV rinses. :) Works great for me!

Good luck!

ArienEllariel
January 28th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Me too!

The trick is to brush out your hair upside down BEFORE you get in the shower. After washing, apply conditioner and loosely bun upside down.. I don't secure with anything, I just sorta squish the mass of hair to my head and proceed with normal showering. Then I undo the bun and rinse upside down. Proceed to wrap towel around head afterwards.. Makes combing out a breeze. :)