PDA

View Full Version : Changing routine for a cooler, drier climate?

Tabihito
January 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
So I'm moving to San Francisco in a few months, and one of the things I'm somewhat irrationally worried about is how that's going to change my hair. I've spent most of my life, and all of my long-haired life, in super-hot, super-humid southeastern Texas. As a result, the only things I know how to deal with are heat and humidity. Also wind and occasionally sand and salt water, but since I'll still be in a coastal area, that I assume won't change. In fact, I won't have temperature extremes of any sort, something that I am dearly looking forward to; I never want to see another Texas August again.

However, I don't know what to do with less-extreme weather. My hair seems to love the humidity. Well, at the very least it gets much curlier, which I rather like. My hair in the winter always seems so much... less fantastic. And now I'm moving somewhere that's effectively winter year-round, though with even less humidity. How can I imitate the effects of a near-tropical climate on hair without actually living in that climate any more? Also, what about brushing? I'm currently one of the wavies that can get away with brushing, but is static going to become an issue, or does it have to get colder for that? I had major static issues in Norway, but it was also very, very cold there.

Also, if anyone in that general area wants to point me towards stores that carry decent hair products, please feel free to. I buy everything from a regional grocery store down here, which doesn't exist outside the state, so I'm going to be at a total loss for a while. Essentials like toilet paper, food, and furniture are usually easy to find; hair care is less so.

akilina
January 26th, 2013, 12:13 PM
All of the times I have ever been there its always been humid..weather its cold or slightly warm Its right on the bay so I don't see how it could be dry at all. The fog adds a ton of humidity too.
I guess I am not much of a help at all.

It is probably much "drier" than Texas though so that makes sense.
I would just figure it out when you get here and play it by ear. What works for someone might not work for you.
Like I said..I guess I am not that much of a help. There are quite a few ladies(and gents!) that live there that can help :]

Good luck with your move! It sounds really scary to me.. I am the type that would never want to live in the big city though. Its interesting to visit but I can't imagine it being a permanent thing.
I hope it all works out well! Im sure you will get your routine down soon enough.

Moving from NV back to here was awesome. I just let my hair do its thing and my hair loves it here so much.

Tabihito
January 26th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah, "drier" is very, very relative. Winter averages 60-70% humidity, and summer is over 90% (August is closer to 98%- any wetter and it'd be raining) around here. San Francisco is by no means dry, but Texas (well, coastal Texas; the west is actually arid, and central is semi-arid) is extremely wet. It's like both drowning and roasting at the same time some days, not a fun experience.

jeanniet
January 26th, 2013, 01:28 PM
You may find that your hair likes the cool moisture. I don't live in SF, but about 50 miles north, and we do get quite a bit of fog. My hair completely wigs out in warm humidity, but not so much here. If you find that your hair needs more moisture, you could try damp bunning overnight. Just spritz it with distilled water, bun, and then see how it feels in the morning.

I don't think you'll have a lot of issues with static. I don't, and we're drier in the summer than SF even with fog and overcast. I use a brush, too but not daily.

robin000
January 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I moved from Austin to SF a few months ago, and I haven't found the climate to be problematic. Probably the biggest difference for skin and hair is a drastic reduction in sweating, but that's a pretty good thing. I haven't experienced any symptoms of SF being drier than Austin (for what it's worth), and in fact, I didn't get chapped lips this winter (which I used to battle every winter in Texas). Unless you are a surfer, I doubt you'll be in the water too much / at all. The only thing I've had to learn to contend with is wind. Certain times of year (June and July, in my short experience) and almost always near the ocean the wind can range from strong to ferocious, which makes leaving your hair down a disaster.

truepeacenik
January 26th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I grew up in north central Texas, with summers spent in Houston and Galveston Island.
I'm now in Oakland. Via some desert, but I can tell you not to worry.
I do get some static, but we have gas heat. If you use a clothes dryer, you will see some static. Not more than NC Texas.

What I have problems with here is drinking enough water since I don't feel dry or overly warm (often). That plays into some dry skin, and likely hair.
I use a lighter conditioner, by watering it down,methanol I did in CO.
Whole Foods 365 unscented works a treat and isn't that pricy. Trader Joe's conditioners are ok, too, and what I'll get to tide me over if getting to Whole foods is inconvenient.