PDA

View Full Version : What is optimal hair growth?

lapushka
January 25th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Thought this was an interesting video on growing hair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjSAsSdcNw

leslissocool
January 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
That's pretty much how I see it.

I have "fast growing" hair, but it didn't grow nearly as fast (it fell off) when my nutrition and health was bad. When I had chicken pox I shedded like a maniac, when I was anorexic my anemia made me start literally losing my hair.

With a 1 inch per month growth rate genetically, I think mostly it comes from working out and releasing stress and nutrition along with my nutrition (my sister has poor nutrition and her hair grew to waist slightly slower than mine, so I do think it's genetics, however mine did grow faster). I am sleep deprived now though, my kids don't really sleep since we moved so I do expect less growth this month.

She hits on something I have been mentioning on the whey protein powder thread, which hair and nails are the very last place your vitamins and proteins go and that's why some people have great results adding one protein shake to their diets. There are many myths about protein intake, most people that eat meat think they have enough and that's not true, so tracking your vitamins and nutrients and making sure you have enough so it goes into your head is important. I was told this by my doctor when I had pregnancy induced alopecia, the twins were sucking the vitamins out of me at such rate that my hair and nails and my skin were having issues. He told me to supplement with liquid vitamins (on top of prenatal and eating them through food) and I felt a lot better when I did.

shutterpillar
January 25th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Great video!

longforthis
January 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I found that video a little while ago, and thought it was very well done!

I remember something that someone once said, "DNA is the blueprint, nutrition is the building blocks." or something along those terms. :face:

silverthread
January 26th, 2013, 06:54 AM
That is one of the most well-spoken, easy-to-understand, and logical youtube videos I've seen on hair growth/care. Thanks for posting it, Lapushka.

lapushka
January 26th, 2013, 07:02 AM
That is one of the most well-spoken, easy-to-understand, and logical youtube videos I've seen on hair growth/care. Thanks for posting it, Lapushka.

It is, isn't it? I thought so too! Especially when she's talking about how you cannot go beyond your growth point. Sometimes you get people who ask how they can make their hair grow more/faster. You can't. There it is! It's just all about patience combined with not trimming too much of that growth back off.

jacqueline101
January 26th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Great video.

*Wednesday*
July 29th, 2017, 10:13 AM
****Bump****:D Always a good reminder.

TatsuOni
July 29th, 2017, 10:35 AM
It is a good video and what I'm always trying to explain when people are asking me how they can get their hair to "grow super fast". :)

Serimel
July 29th, 2017, 02:05 PM
Great video! Thanks for bumping! :)

meteor
July 29th, 2017, 02:50 PM
^ Oh yes, I miss Lucy's Corsetry's hair-related videos. :)

Dark40
July 29th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Great video! My hair growth rate is pretty fast each month. I would say 1.5 inches a month, and I've noticed with my nutrition my hair has grown out a lot since I've started eating a healthy diet with lots of protein.

Alissalocks
July 29th, 2017, 11:01 PM

Love Lucy, love her corsets! Love her hair!

lapushka
July 30th, 2017, 03:50 AM

I have to say I do miss them too. I wish she'd make more hair related vids, but her focal point is corsetry, so... fairly little we can do, I think. :o