PDA

View Full Version : The "Save your shed hairs to make a hair doughnut" thread

rowie
January 25th, 2013, 04:44 PM
...or save your sheds to make anything you like- pin cushions, fillers for Edwardian Pompadours, rats nests, and many more... Find a special container and start collecting your sheds, and in no time you'll be able to start a project that you find will make use of your sheds, which is a good way to recycle in a way.:)

Original Post:
Wow it has been a long time since I visited the LHC, and I love the new LHC. Hello to all! I've missed everyone.:love:

This thread was inspired from the rats nest thread (old LHC archive) where members would save their shed hairs to make a nest to hold shampoo bottles. I think there might be other threads from the old archives, but I think this thread is different because I want to save my shed hairs to eventually make a ginormous hair doughnut for a sock bun, but just in case feel free to merge in similar sites I might of missed. :) I thought to myself, why use a heavy sock when I can use my own hair, and plus I don't feel so bad anymore when I find a some long strands of hair in some of my shedding. This project to me is like saving all that hard work of caring for the hair and putting to good use those shed hairs for my very own personal sock bun. Personally, it would make it feel like i'm less cheating since i'm using my own hair, I know sock buns to some people is not cheating, but I'd just feel better knowing that i'm using my own hair.

Winter time is where I shed the most, and I thought this would be a perfect ongoing project for me in the early stages of my long hair growth journey. Please feel free to join me and post your own log of starting your hair doughnut. It's really easy, just grab a large zip lock bag and start collecting your shed hairs for whenever you detangle, brush or comb your hairs (I even like to collect my shed hairs after a shower, and now I look for opportunities...).

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_B77ECBB4-00E8-484E-B098-6E8FD0FFA705.jpg

Eventually, you'll have collected enough shed hairs to start shaping it into a ring, which will be your foundation of building that hair doughnut. I can't wait to share and read some of your progress. Good luck!

1 or almost two months of collected hair shed. Ahhhhhh I'm such a heavy "shedder." Oh and those white dots aren't flakes they are white hair bulbs! It's much more evident on really dark hair! This is a new project to me that I'm just doing on a whim, and so I hope to discover how this will turn out with all those who wish to participate.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_2747E18F-34EF-47F9-A7DA-66B01A506B3A.jpg

Nae
January 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
I have been working on this in order to make two rats so I can have fun with some Downton Abbey-esque hairstyles. It is taking forever. I have been trying for about a month now.

rowie
January 25th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Wow, so what care have you been doing to your rats? Do you shampoo it occasionally? I think I might do a monthly clarifying rinse followed with coconut oil, but so far my doughnut isn't drying out.

Nae
January 25th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Huh. I never thought about it much. I suppose that if it starts to get funky I would use a bit of shampoo on it. Do you think it will dry out over time?

I am not sure how much I will use them. I can't imagine they would get dirty really fast. I will have to think about this one lol.

rowie
January 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
That I don't know, but it seems like if you keep it moisturized when it feels or looks dry was a common advice from the old rats nest thread. For me, I just discovered something important after writing this thread, and that is to consider ones' own ponytail circumference when you get to a point of shaping it into a doughnut. . At first I tried to use a crochet hook to loosen the doughnut but it wouldn't budge, then I washed it, and had to to resort to cutting it!!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/rinicry.gif

I even washed it with my clarifying shampoo as another attempt to try to make the hole bigger, but it did not work, but instead it shrunk my doughnut. As a last resort, I grabbed my grandmother's scissor because these are vintage sheers that can cut through anything. I don't use this on my hair just to clarify, it is looking rusty, but grandma's scissor's never failed me.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_25355FDA-DB2E-41C7-8648-F92C36F80034.jpg

Now i'll have room to add more shed hairs in the future. I just don't know how i'm going to work the new shed of hairs into place. I guess I'll just keep winging it. Oh and cutting this dougnut was somewhat traumatic for me, feeling like the cutting motion I did made me think that this sensation is how it would feel like if I were ever to cut my ponytail. ahhhhhhhh
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_7BB4075A-70FA-4DB7-8ADA-57617813A73D.jpg

Letting it air dry and leaving it alone for now.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_B5D8D243-AD2F-4522-9423-E7DA8626DEF1.jpg

Narya
January 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
I am saving my shed hairs to make a doughnut, too.

I started on December or so, but as I wasn't able to save any on the holidays, with travelling and all that, I'd say I only have a month's worth. Which is about the size of a big hamster (I am shedding a lot lately! Ugh!).
I haven't started with the shaping yet, but maybe I should. Good point about the ponytail size, I hadn't even thought of it!

hafattack
January 25th, 2013, 06:30 PM
This is very cool and resourceful.. how do you keep the hairs together?

patchoulilove
January 25th, 2013, 07:09 PM
This seems really cool. Can any length shed hairs work?

Nae
January 25th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Well, I am making a rat and not so much a doughnut but if I rub the hairs together between my palms they form this sorta dreadlock thingy. They just cling to each other. I find they do better if I wait to have a bigger bunch to add to my little "rat" just a few hairs will work but they don't stick on as good. If I was doing it all over again I would just keep all the sheds in a big plastic bag until I thought I had enough then roll them all together like making a play-dough snake.

ETA: Any length seems to work except super short. Probably anything over about 6 inches would be good.

rowie
January 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I am saving my shed hairs to make a doughnut, too.

I started on December or so, but as I wasn't able to save any on the holidays, with travelling and all that, I'd say I only have a month's worth. Which is about the size of a big hamster (I am shedding a lot lately! Ugh!).
I haven't started with the shaping yet, but maybe I should. Good point about the ponytail size, I hadn't even thought of it!
I'm kind of in the same boat! I started around November, then traveled during the holidays. Good thing I saved my sheds during my travels. Luckily, FSA at the airports didn't question my small zip lock bag hehehe:o. I hope you stick around. I'll be in here for awhile as i'm hoping to recreate a doughnut to make at least this size sock bun or bigger. I know I'm a heavy shedder in general, someone told me that if you have a lot of thick hairs then naturally more hairs will shed. I don't know if this is true for all iii thickness. This photo was shot when I was at shoulder length, and I'm now at BSL. I guess it will be tricky to make sock buns the longer my hair gets as I've noticed from the different techniques on here.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_A73F97CD-6BF8-42CB-9C3E-016172C99FA0.jpg

This is very cool and resourceful.. how do you keep the hairs together?

This seems really cool. Can any length shed hairs work?
Thanks you two! In answer to you both, what works for me is just simply collecting my shed hairs (I keep any length of sheds) in a zip lock bag and taking out all the air out of the bag. Luckily I have two weeks of hair shed that I can keep with my cut up doughnut. I probably will take Nae's advice and just keep on collecting until I am ready to shape it again. Depending on how straight or curly your hair is, in theory the more you collect the more your shed hairs will tangle in the bag. You can always use a crochet hook to tangle the hairs further when you are shaping the doughnut. I guess it is like somewhat using the methods of making a a dread lock, only, you are shaping it into a doughnut to fit the right circumference of your ponytail.

Here is an example of collected shed hairs I kept that I can add to my broken doughnut:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_B30F2ED9-4184-4BC5-8A20-97FA23B8A740.jpg

Here is a closeup. Notice how my shed hairs are starting to tangle up. I'll probably collect a lot more shed hairs (maybe many months worth of shedding) before shaping it. Thanks again Nae for this tip!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_03EFBE12-EE13-493B-A6EF-2A78D90DE2DC.jpg

patchoulilove
January 25th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Great! I hope to join this project soon. I've always wanted a hair donut to make a nice sock bun! Now I can make my own. :cool:

Ocelan
January 26th, 2013, 02:41 AM
I've been collecting not all but most of my shed hairs since last April. First few months I untangled them to make a small ponytail of shed hairs but they do tangle up so easily so lately I'm just been stuffing them into a box. There's starting to be a lot of them and I think I might soon have to do something with them. There would probably already be enough for a doughnut AND a hair rat.

It's not that I really need them but I feel bad throwing away long shed hairs so I've been saving and saving... I was also thinking of making a needle cushion filled with hair. :)

Neneka
January 26th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Good idea for a thread! I have been collecting my shed hairs for maybe 5 months now but I don't really have much of it. I shed very little and my hair is quite short. I have to look if I have enough to start shaping the rat. :)

Meli
January 26th, 2013, 03:48 AM
There was an article on how to make sock bun doughnuts, but unfortunately it is currently unavailable due to the server move. However, in the article it was suggested to find a cylinder-shaped item with a circumference similar to one's ponytail. Maybe even a little bigger than the ponytail circumference, I don't quite remember how it was. The item should then be inserted through the hole in the doughnut and kept there during the felting process. This will prevent the hole from getting too small. Hope that helps. :flower:

Hosta
January 26th, 2013, 04:53 AM
I have been saving my shed hair for about 8 months. I bought a bun hairnet at Sally's and put the hair in that. I made a rat to have lift, but you could stuff the net into a roll and sew it into a doughnut shape.

rowie
January 26th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Great! I hope to join this project soon. I've always wanted a hair donut to make a nice sock bun! Now I can make my own. :cool: I'm so glad! I did notice from my first hair shed doughnut that it felt extremely light and airy. I hope the end result will be similar! Happy collecting. :)

I've been collecting not all but most of my shed hairs since last April. First few months I untangled them to make a small ponytail of shed hairs but they do tangle up so easily so lately I'm just been stuffing them into a box. There's starting to be a lot of them and I think I might soon have to do something with them. There would probably already be enough for a doughnut AND a hair rat.

It's not that I really need them but I feel bad throwing away long shed hairs so I've been saving and saving... I was also thinking of making a needle cushion filled with hair. :)

I do notice that shed hairs tangle up easily, which makes the process even easier, unless you are making a ponytail. hehehe. I can't wait to see what you make out of your shed hairs! Yes, I especially feel bad about loosing long strands, but luckily I get a good mix of length every time I shed. I guess I just became overly compulsive and saving any of my sheds. I like your idea on making a pin cushion. I'll probably make that after I make my doughnut. Good idea! Thanks!

Good idea for a thread! I have been collecting my shed hairs for maybe 5 months now but I don't really have much of it. I shed very little and my hair is quite short. I have to look if I have enough to start shaping the rat. :)
You are so lucky that you shed little! I'm glad that you are also saving your sheds, it will prepare you for when you have longer hair and then you can make whatever you like. I like Oclean's idea of making a pin cushion, and it is more versatile because you can make it any size! You can add ribbons or thread to make a colorful pin cushion.

There was an article on how to make sock bun doughnuts, but unfortunately it is currently unavailable due to the server move. However, in the article it was suggested to find a cylinder-shaped item with a circumference similar to one's ponytail. Maybe even a little bigger than the ponytail circumference, I don't quite remember how it was. The item should then be inserted through the hole in the doughnut and kept there during the felting process. This will prevent the hole from getting too small. Hope that helps. :flower:
Yes! I had a hard time looking for old threads on google to maybe add the links on here. I couldn't even find the original rats nest thread, and now I know it's due to the server move. Thanks for the heads up, and maybe the archives will work again. Thanks for the tip on the suggestion to make the circumference bigger! Now I now that it is better to make the hole maybe twice as big as the circumference of my ponytail, because I can make the hole smaller easily by filling it with more shed hairs since it is harder to make a hole bigger. Now all I have to do is find and object with the right size. Thanks for this tip! :)

I have been saving my shed hair for about 8 months. I bought a bun hairnet at Sally's and put the hair in that. I made a rat to have lift, but you could stuff the net into a roll and sew it into a doughnut shape.
I like your idea of taking a hair net and then stuffing my sheds in there. This will be a good technique in the future if I want to protect my hair shed doughnut from shedding or making it it smoother since I don't have the patience to use my crochet hook to make my doughnut look perfect. Are you a heavy shedder, and are you almost about to do something with your shed hairs or do you just collect your shed hairs?

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2013, 07:52 AM
I had been saving shed hairs for over a year and did make one lopsided ring but I had to scrap the whole project when I discovered that carpet beetles had done major damage to my silk and woolen things and that they like any animal fiber, including human hair. Maybe I'll try again in a couple years when I feel confident the beetles are gone.

rowie
January 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I had been saving shed hairs for over a year and did make one lopsided ring but I had to scrap the whole project when I discovered that carpet beetles had done major damage to my silk and woolen things and that they like any animal fiber, including human hair. Maybe I'll try again in a couple years when I feel confident the beetles are gone.

OMG! I'm so sorry.:blossom: But you really bring up an important point about whether I should consider how I can protect my sheds from insect infestation. Now I'll have to do research about carpet beetles, ok it's common in Colorado homes and I found this site to be helpful : Carpet Beetles (http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05549.html). hmmm I wonder if using some form of insect pesticide chemicals would be damaging to my sheds. Or maybe I can put some cedar wood in my zip lock bag to keep it smelling good while keeping some form of insects away from my sheds. Good call! I'll have to look into this further.

neko_kawaii
January 26th, 2013, 09:21 AM
I should think that if you keep dry sheds in a sealed container like a zip top bag they wouldn't be a vector for infestation.

rowie
January 26th, 2013, 11:49 AM
I should think that if you keep dry sheds in a sealed container like a zip top bag they wouldn't be a vector for infestation.

You are probably right! But since I plan to use my zip lock bag for a very long time before replacing it, I need to consider factors such as holes and the usual wear and tear. I'll probably end up putting some cedar balls in my bag because I like the smell of cedar. The cedar ball probably won't protect my sheds from all types of insects but at least it will bring me some comfort. I do have some cedar oil that I can mix up with some natural EO's that combat insects like lemongrass if I decide not to use the cedar balls in the future. hmmm now that is an idea, a way to protect my sheds while having it smell good. :)

QMacrocarpa
January 26th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I tried this a year or two back, but it didn't work very well for me. The hair donut I made wasn't at all stretchy, so it was kind of awkward to get it over my ponytail. I don't think you'd want the hole to be a lot bigger than your ponytail diameter, so I don't really know a good way to deal with the issue of getting it onto your hair. Since my hair donut could not be "rolled", I couldn't use it for a rolled sock bun, which is the type I could do most successfully.

I kept my sheds in a cloth bag so they would be sure to dry. In a sealed plastic bag I think you'd want to be really sure that any hair you add is dry so you won't get mold. I didn't do any washing of my sheds during the accumulation phase, I don't think that would be necessary as long as everything is kept clean and allowed to dry if any wet sheds are added (shower sheds, e.g.).

I had much more success with a knitted bun-rat, in a yarn-color that matched my hair. Nowadays I pretty much avoid hair elastics, and other buns have lured me away, so I don't really do sock buns anyway, but I do like the idea of a hair-stuffed pincushion! I still have a big bag of sheds, so I could try that. :-)

rowie
January 26th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I tried this a year or two back, but it didn't work very well for me. The hair donut I made wasn't at all stretchy, so it was kind of awkward to get it over my ponytail. I don't think you'd want the hole to be a lot bigger than your ponytail diameter, so I don't really know a good way to deal with the issue of getting it onto your hair. Since my hair donut could not be "rolled", I couldn't use it for a rolled sock bun, which is the type I could do most successfully.

I kept my sheds in a cloth bag so they would be sure to dry. In a sealed plastic bag I think you'd want to be really sure that any hair you add is dry so you won't get mold. I didn't do any washing of my sheds during the accumulation phase, I don't think that would be necessary as long as everything is kept clean and allowed to dry if any wet sheds are added (shower sheds, e.g.).

I had much more success with a knitted bun-rat, in a yarn-color that matched my hair. Nowadays I pretty much avoid hair elastics, and other buns have lured me away, so I don't really do sock buns anyway, but I do like the idea of a hair-stuffed pincushion! I still have a big bag of sheds, so I could try that. :-)

Wow thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll probably push on and continue with experimenting. I think the experimenting aspect is the fun part of this project, sharing my trials and errors is what I hope people can get something out of it. I've learned so far from you all to save my sheds in general, and accumulate collecting as much sheds before shaping it. I'll tweak your advice on making the hole to match my circumference by making it so that it has some leg room, but not much.

However, if this experiment fails (knocks on wood) then at least I have the option of making a pin cushion. Maybe I should change the title of this thread into "Save your shed hairs to make anything- pin cushions, doughnuts, and more," or something like that. It would be interesting to come up with different useful items we can make for shed hairs. So far I'm just continuing to collect my shed hairs like the rest of you, and then I'll press on.

Neneka
January 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Hi! I started shaping the doughnut (or a pin cushion :)) today and gave it a shampoo bath. I had a lot more shed hairs saved than I thought. I have also saved my "mullet" (growing from a pixie cut...). It seems like it is long enough to include in the doughnut.

I put the hairs around a bottle of nail polish so the doughnut won't be too small. Now I am just waiting for my SO to see my little project. There might be some screaming...

The lack of stretchyness sounds like a problem. But experimenting is indeed fun anyway.

Angelica
January 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I've thought of doing this as well instead of cheating with donut rings that I purchase from Claire's Accessories. It does seem such a shame to waste all that hair. I don't shed much either though.

mzBANGBANG
January 28th, 2013, 10:00 PM
If you formed it over an elastic, would it potentially be a little more stretchy or just snap?

gossamer
January 28th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I've been saving my sheds for about 3 months now, though as the dustbin shows when I've swept my apartment, I'm not getting to all of them before they end up on the floor. SO has yet to discover the creepy looking plastic bag of them. I think I'll use them to make a long rat for an Edwardian style pompadour rather than a doughnut, however.

maborosi
January 28th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I've been saving my sheds for about 3 months now, though as the dustbin shows when I've swept my apartment, I'm not getting to all of them before they end up on the floor. SO has yet to discover the creepy looking plastic bag of them. I think I'll use them to make a long rat for an Edwardian style pompadour rather than a doughnut, however.

lol! Oh god if my mom were to find a bag of my shed hairs, she would probably blow a gasket.

I'm not sure if I want to do this or not. It's a really neat idea, but my hairs are half red and half black and so I don't know what a doughtnut of them would look like?

Hmm...now you all have me tempted to give this a try...

~maborosi~

PraiseCheeses
January 28th, 2013, 10:21 PM

:lol:

I have a jar of yet-unorganized shed hair on my desk and a small but growing ponytail of root-oriented sheds hanging in my closet. The day DBF finds it will no doubt be veeeeerrrryy interesting.

A while back I was inspired by Dianyla's braided shed collections. Still have no idea what I'll do with mine.

gossamer
January 28th, 2013, 10:30 PM
lol! Oh god if my mom were to find a bag of my shed hairs, she would probably blow a gasket.

I'm not sure if I want to do this or not. It's a really neat idea, but my hairs are half red and half black and so I don't know what a doughtnut of them would look like?

Hmm...now you all have me tempted to give this a try...

~maborosi~

http://xad.xanga.com/179e145542132284569411/m227061867.jpg

Yeah, this is going back in the drawer in the closet where it belongs now!

Neneka
January 29th, 2013, 02:58 AM
maborosi, I am trying to grow out my natural colour so it the doughnut could end up looking funny. I still want to try this. XD After all I might end up dyeing my roots anyway.

I don't know about forming it around an elastic but if it could be formed around a string or a ribbon. Like making it long and with string it could be tied around ponytail.

Neneka
January 29th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Soo. I am trying to add a picture of my project hoping that you won't find it too gross. It's still just a baby rat. My hair is really not prone to matting. I almost never have tangles and my hair is silky and sleek type but I hope shampoo baths will help it. There is a lot of shorter hairs included but they seem to hold fine.

http://i48.tinypic.com/oqx5if.jpg

rowie
January 29th, 2013, 09:35 AM
http://xad.xanga.com/179e145542132284569411/m227061867.jpg

Yeah, this is going back in the drawer in the closet where it belongs now!

Yes I'm the same way! I'm probably going to do monthly updates of my bag for now! Wow you look like you are ahead of the game, but if I remember you have super long hair! Once I have a bag full, then maybe I will shape it. I love your idea of making an Edwardian Pompadour. It's such a cute idea and a perfect project for those with super long hair. Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Soo. I am trying to add a picture of my project hoping that you won't find it too gross. It's still just a baby rat. My hair is really not prone to matting. I almost never have tangles and my hair is silky and sleek type but I hope shampoo baths will help it. There is a lot of shorter hairs included but they seem to hold fine.

http://i48.tinypic.com/oqx5if.jpg
Oh wow! It looks amazing. Thanks for sharing! I hope it has a little more room for the circumference of your ponytail. Now I have to find an object that will give a little more room to accommodate my ponytail circumference. My mistake the first time was I didn't take my circumference into consideration. I was hoping to start a foundation like this, but now I have a broken doughnut with shed hairs. hehehe I'll probably update again next month to see how my bag is doing.But thanks for your update. It gives me an idea of how I can shape mines when I am ready to do this again.

rowie
January 29th, 2013, 09:38 AM
If you formed it over an elastic, would it potentially be a little more stretchy or just snap?

I thought about doing this, but I find that once you shape the doughnut it will lock into place, and so I found out the hard way that i'd really have to give a little more room on top of my measurments. However, your idea could be a good idea if you have very straight hair and having a hard time starting a foundation doughnut, i'd just makes sure the band is the right tailored circumference (with a little room) for one's own ponytail.

Neneka
January 29th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Oh wow! It looks amazing. I hope it has a little more room for the circumference of your ponytail. My mistake the first time was I didn't take my circumference into consideration. I was hoping to start a foundation like this, but now I have a broken doughnut with shed hairs. hehehe I'll probably update again next month to see how my bag is doing.But thanks for your update. It gives me an idea of how I can shape mines when I am ready to do this again.

Thanks. :) I hope your project goes well. Without reading about your "ordeals" I would propably ended up doing the same mistake :D. I am shaping mine around a bottle of nail polish that has bigger sircumference than my ponytail.

Ok... I went to measure. What the... My pony sircumference is suddenly 8 cm/3,15 inches without all layers that still can't reach my pony! Wow... What I surprise! I have more thickness than last time I grew my hair! I think I have more thickness than ever! Anyway the little bottle I use to keep the hole stable has 10 cm/3,9inches sircumference. Luckily my dougnut is still not totally matted so I can still stretch it if I need to. I would think that 2 cm/0,8 inches difference would be enough.

Thinthondiel
January 29th, 2013, 10:16 AM

I thought about doing this, but I find that once you shape the doughnut it will lock into place, and so I found out the hard way that i'd really have to give a little more room on top of my measurments. However, your idea could be a good idea if you have very straight hair and having a hard time starting a foundation doughnut, i'd just makes sure the band is the right tailored circumference (with a little room) for one's own ponytail.

I imagine that technically, if one somehow managed to keep the elastic stretched while forming the doughnut (while still being able to make it as circular as possible), it might be possible to do the elastic thing. It would be sort of like a scrunchie made out of hair. :p Unless the doughnut turned out firm enough to keep the elastic from un-stretching again (I've never tried making one of these things, so I don't know how firm they are).

rowie
January 29th, 2013, 11:40 AM
OK Neneka your base doughnut inspired me to try again. This time I documented what I did so that people can get idea. Thinthondiel, it is very firm once you make the base ring. I have a 5 inch ponytail circumference and decided to find a 6 inch circumference, I figure bigger will be better since I can always add more shed hairs to the center to make it smaller if I needed to in the future.

Hard to find an object, but I did! My deoderant. hahaha

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/475FC27B-47C4-417F-A651-6C251DE0A7B2-605-00000024FDFB5899.jpg

Shed hairs out of the bag. I have to say this looks unappealing right out of the bag. But look how easily my hair tangles.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/FEE6B94C-05A7-433B-8049-DD9A2A2CBBE4-605-0000002500262DF1.jpg

Stretching it out and preparing to put it on the object for shaping!
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/C8AF989E-BAA5-466F-8B3A-AB67ABCBF4B3-605-000000250356ECF8.jpg

Mission accomplished! Now what to do with the shape...

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/8A9A2094-4F82-4CD1-890C-F31C20F05595-605-0000002507555B67.jpg

My hands decided to fold it in and try to lock the hairs into place by folding and rubbing it into a locking motion.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/141CD23A-118A-4781-94EA-FB867568D9A9-605-0000002509AB549A.jpg

It didn't feel secured so I used my crochet hook (any size, but the smaller hook size, the better) to lock the new sheds at each end of the original doughnut.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/8B21C8D0-5B99-42A7-97F7-41A05F78DB7E-605-000000250BC70149.jpg

Final result. At least I have a base, but I need to collect more shed hairs to start patching weak areas and to continue to shape it as I continue to collect more sheds. I hope you all can get something out of this. Peace out.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/CBE35CA3-BA2E-4DD5-83F3-6310C89A0850-605-000000250F48E495.jpg

CurlyCurves
January 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Creepy, but cool thread :)

rowie
January 30th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Creepy, but cool thread :)
Thanks! It's fun for me and hopefully it will be useful. If it fails, I hope to make a pin cushion out of it. :)

Katleen
January 30th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hey Rowie, it's great to see you're back! I was wondering where you were :happydance:

I've been thinking about collecting my shed hairs too, but not really to make a donut but rather a hair rat. I got this book (I think it's "vintage hairstyles") where they show a sort of box that women used to put on their vanity to collect all the hairs from their brush, and use it to make a hair rat. I'm only thinking how I would put it and keep it together, but I should start with finding a container to save them in...

dragonfly90
January 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Haha, my hair isn't nearly long enough to do this. I was just thinking how hilarious it would be if I started collecting my sisters hair from our shower drain. She sheds A LOT and her hair is bright red (I just dyed it). She'd think I was suck a freak!

Ocelan
January 30th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Has anyone, especially the slippery haired people, thought of using a felting needle to kind of felt the hairs into shape? It seems like it could work since it does with wool. I don't have a felting needle yet, but I've been contemplating on getting them for felting purposes anyway.

rowie
January 30th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Hey Rowie, it's great to see you're back! I was wondering where you were :happydance:

I've been thinking about collecting my shed hairs too, but not really to make a donut but rather a hair rat. I got this book (I think it's "vintage hairstyles") where they show a sort of box that women used to put on their vanity to collect all the hairs from their brush, and use it to make a hair rat. I'm only thinking how I would put it and keep it together, but I should start with finding a container to save them in...

It's so nice to see you again Katleen.http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/Kdollz/myfavd30.gif I think you have a wonderful idea. I've re-edited my description of this thread so that it lets people know that they can make anything they want. So far your idea coincides with gossamer,and her project is to make a nest for Edwardian pompadours. I'm also going to make a pin cushion out of my doughnut, if it should fail. Yes, please do find a container and start collecting all the hard work you put into your sheds. I find a zip lock bag works fine for me but you can find a special cedar wood box, just to name a few... I hope all is well with you, and please do keep us updated on your project when you start to build it. Happy collecting! I hope to see you on the hair length boards.

Haha, my hair isn't nearly long enough to do this. I was just thinking how hilarious it would be if I started collecting my sisters hair from our shower drain. She sheds A LOT and her hair is bright red (I just dyed it). She'd think I was suck a freak!

You'll get there in no time! you can always start anytime, you can collect the short hairs and use them as fillers in the future for whatever project you plan to do. I think all lengths of hair would work perfect on a pin cushion type project.

Ocelan:
I like your idea of using a felt tool! I'll probably go to a craft store and check it out. I use a crochet hook and I find it hard to make my doughnut looking neat, so at least you give me another avenue I can look into! Thanks!:cool:

Neneka
February 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hi guys!

Has anyone, especially the slippery haired people, thought of using a felting needle to kind of felt the hairs into shape? It seems like it could work since it does with wool. I don't have a felting needle yet, but I've been contemplating on getting them for felting purposes anyway.

I bought a felting needle today and tried it. My dougnut is a lot firmer now. My hair is very slippery too and it has no tendency to mat but I can see some hope now. One day it will be firm non-shedding doudgnut. I tried small crocheting hook too but that didn't work quite well.

silverthread
February 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
I decided yesterday to start gathering my shed hair to make a hair rat. Until yesterday, every time I washed my hair, I'd lose 40 or so hairs. Yesterday, I only lost 5 or 6. Go figure. Guess it'll be a while before I get my rat.

rowie
February 4th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I decided yesterday to start gathering my shed hair to make a hair rat. Until yesterday, every time I washed my hair, I'd lose 40 or so hairs. Yesterday, I only lost 5 or 6. Go figure. Guess it'll be a while before I get my rat.

Great! Welcome.:blossom: Please do update us when that happens in the future. This is so exciting.

silverthread
February 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Score! I used my baby BBB this morning and found a bit more hair for the rat.

Vintagecoilylocks
February 5th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I saw "Out of Africa " last night and now I have long hair and this sounds like just what I need to do some of her buns. I have curly but thin fine hair.

Narya
February 6th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I've found my shed hairs like to felt by themselves in little clumps (about the size of a bullet) that then do not want to stick to one another at all! For a while, I had some kind of yucky looking group of felted "bullets" that would not budge. I was tempted to give up, but suddenly I remembered that using dish soap helps felting, and voilą! It's still ugly (so no photo) but it's doughnut shaped! :joy: In fact, it is as big as my rolled socks, so this may take me less time than I expected :D

rowie
March 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Congrats Narya! I'm still having a hard time making mine smooth out. I did try putting some aloe vera gel in the end in hopes that I could train my hairs to stay in a certain position . But I ended up just leaving my doughnut alone, it did smooth it out a little, but I have to figure out how I'll smooth it out once I get to an appropriate size.

Here is my update, sorry it's a little late since I almost forgot about this thread!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/41734d4e-a831-4a62-a42f-7d0158edf383_zps80274f87.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/02b7bd19-fa50-4580-a454-4205d123246b_zps97592aa2.jpg

I noticed it was harder to put my doughnut back into the deodorant that has my right ponytail circumference. I decided to leave the doughnut in place with the deodorant to maintain the right ponytail circumference, and keep it in my zip lock bag while I continue to collect my sheds. Like I said, afterwards I put some aloe vera before I put it back into the bag. Hopefully i'll get better results next month. Until then! I'm glad some people like Narya are ahead. Thanks for keeping the thread alive people. :blossom:

Anabell
March 9th, 2013, 10:25 AM
...or save your sheds to make anything you like- pin cushions, fillers for Edwardian Pompadours, rats nests, and many more... Find a special container and start collecting your sheds, and in no time you'll be able to start a project that you find will make use of your sheds, which is a good way to recycle in a way.:)

Original Post:
Wow it has been a long time since I visited the LHC, and I love the new LHC. Hello to all! I've missed everyone.:love:

This thread was inspired from the rats nest thread (old LHC archive) where members would save their shed hairs to make a nest to hold shampoo bottles. I think there might be other threads from the old archives, but I think this thread is different because I want to save my shed hairs to eventually make a ginormous hair doughnut for a sock bun, but just in case feel free to merge in similar sites I might of missed. :) I thought to myself, why use a heavy sock when I can use my own hair, and plus I don't feel so bad anymore when I find a some long strands of hair in some of my shedding. This project to me is like saving all that hard work of caring for the hair and putting to good use those shed hairs for my very own personal sock bun. Personally, it would make it feel like i'm less cheating since i'm using my own hair, I know sock buns to some people is not cheating, but I'd just feel better knowing that i'm using my own hair.

Winter time is where I shed the most, and I thought this would be a perfect ongoing project for me in the early stages of my long hair growth journey. Please feel free to join me and post your own log of starting your hair doughnut. It's really easy, just grab a large zip lock bag and start collecting your shed hairs for whenever you detangle, brush or comb your hairs (I even like to collect my shed hairs after a shower, and now I look for opportunities...).

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_B77ECBB4-00E8-484E-B098-6E8FD0FFA705.jpg

Eventually, you'll have collected enough shed hairs to start shaping it into a ring, which will be your foundation of building that hair doughnut. I can't wait to share and read some of your progress. Good luck!

1 or almost two months of collected hair shed. Ahhhhhh I'm such a heavy "shedder." Oh and those white dots aren't flakes they are white hair bulbs! It's much more evident on really dark hair! This is a new project to me that I'm just doing on a whim, and so I hope to discover how this will turn out with all those who wish to participate.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/IMAGE_2747E18F-34EF-47F9-A7DA-66B01A506B3A.jpg

What a great thread! I just start to collect my sheds (again) when I found this thread. I feel just like you about all the "keep my hard work" issue, and the cheating feeling about the sock buns. The fact that my hairs is not attached to my scalp anymore doesn't make them less silky\soft\shiny (insert any good feature about your hair). I did this in the last summer, when I had more free time. I collect my sheds for like two month and then I did a little braid from all of them. But it was took too much time to pull every single strand from the shed ball and make them lay straight. A doughnut idea sounds a little easier and less time consuming. I will follow after this thread and look for more interesting ideas. In the meantime I just keep collect it. I hope I can upload soon the picture of my braid from the summer...

redtuss
March 21st, 2013, 06:54 AM
I just LOVE the fact that I was just last month or something telling my SO when he was making fun of me and my hair that "at least I'm not saving my shedded hair!!" and today I was going thru the trash can to get all the hairs out.. LOL!

Got hold of a good chunk from my excavation to wash and stash away for a future donut! Thank god I grew wiser, although now I grieve all the hair I've thrown out over the last couple months haha!

Anabell
May 4th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Hey guys!
I just have some crazy idea that I want to share:
I just thinking about do some kind of hair extensions from my shed hair. But not the regular ones that you add to make your hair longer\thicker. I want to make some long twists or little braids, and then use them for this hair style
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=10963&attachmentid=4068(when
(Thank you Eresh. this is theonly one I manage to find...)
(when you wrap the braid around your head and sewing a ribbon around instead a bobby pins..). So I want to do this kind of "ribbon" that match to my hair color and texture. But it will take really long to create one... I will wait for summer when I have more time.

Neneka
May 4th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Anabell, that's really cool! I would really like to know if you try it. :)

My doughnut has starting to look really weird. There is red and green hair in it but somehow I just can't stop. This is almost like an obsession to me. :lol:

Ocelan
May 4th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I have over a year worth of hair gathered now but so far I haven't done anything to it other than the first 3 or 4 months worth of shed hair sorted into a little ponytail (when I still was doing that last summer). The rest in the box has enough for what I believe would make a pretty decent doughnut but I haven't bothered yet to actually do the doughnut or a pin cushion or something.

I shed quite little I think. I clean my tangle teezer from hair about every 2 weeks or so and there isn't a huge clump of hair there then either. So I guess it's a good thing, but if I were to gather hair for bigger things it would take a long while. My hair strands are medium in thickness but my 3 to 4 months worth of shed hairs sorted into a ponytail resulted into a thickness of about half a pencil and those still took hours and hours to sort (the bulbs facing the same way so no upside down hairs). So I won't be dreaming about any extensions of my own hair (not that I am an extension type of person anyway as I'm pretty low maintenance) but I was thinking of maybe dyeing the small ponytail I have into some wild color. It would probably need bleaching first though! O.o

Anabell
May 4th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Anabell, that's really cool! I would really like to know if you try it. :)

My doughnut has starting to look really weird. There is red and green hair in it but somehow I just can't stop. This is almost like an obsession to me. :lol:

That sounds pretty cool. I want a photo to know what it look like!

So I won't be dreaming about any extensions of my own hair (not that I am an extension type of person anyway as I'm pretty low maintenance) but I was thinking of maybe dyeing the small ponytail I have into some wild color. It would probably need bleaching first though! O.o

What a great idea! It sounds fun. Wow. You have a lot of patient. I made a little pony tail by myself the last summer, so I know how much time it takes. Most of the time I try to keep all the hairs in one direction like you, but sometimes I just put them in whatever direction they were...

rowie
May 5th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Omg I almost lost the hole again so for like 4 months i've been keeping it like this:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/null_zps90d15c3d.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/shyboyfriend/media/null_zps90d15c3d.jpg.html)

I don't know how i'm going to shape it but i'm just gonna go with it.

rowie
May 5th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Oh yeah, here is how it looks like now for perspective purposes:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/null_zpsec960968.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/shyboyfriend/media/null_zpsec960968.jpg.html)

stachelbeere
August 2nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
Hi everyone, joining in :)

so I collected quiet a bit of shed during the last few days - I had a temporary increase of shedding. And I lost a lot of volume around the area where you can part your hair, which I am sad about. I decided to use that shed and make a... 'bumpit'. You know, something that will hold a 'pouf', that you would normally achieve when you tease your hair. That way I could get my volume at the top back ;) it's better than throwing all that shed away...

Now I have no idea where to begin. Do you think I should 'dread' the hair into a nest? actually 'tease' the hair? arrange the shed in one direction, layer it on top of something? should I sew on extension clips? I could also use bobby pins... hmmm. There are so many things to consider but I have never done anything like this before.
I'm not to sure how dense the hair piece should be... when I look at your hair doughnuts they look so dense and heavy!

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to learn from your experience :)

I thought about saving my shed up to make a clip-in fringe but I think that'd be too challenging for now - maybe I'll do that once I gain some experience :)

Leeloo
August 2nd, 2013, 07:20 PM
Never thought about making a fringe from the shed! Perfect color match. Thanks for the suggestion.

CurlMonster
August 2nd, 2013, 08:52 PM
How hard do you think it would be to attach shed hairs to a weft to make a little clip-in of your own hair? I'm thinking it would be quite cool to make a little clip-in and then I could bleach it and maybe dye it some crazy colour and I wouldn't have to worry about the damage (but I'd also know I wasn't wearing fake hair or someone else's hair). I like the idea of it and I shed a lot everyday so I don't think it would take very long either!

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2013, 09:04 PM
I might try this.

stachelbeere
August 3rd, 2013, 02:28 AM
How hard do you think it would be to attach shed hairs to a weft to make a little clip-in of your own hair? I'm thinking it would be quite cool to make a little clip-in and then I could bleach it and maybe dye it some crazy colour and I wouldn't have to worry about the damage (but I'd also know I wasn't wearing fake hair or someone else's hair). I like the idea of it and I shed a lot everyday so I don't think it would take very long either!

yeah, that was my first idea - but I can only do this when my hair reaches a certain length ;) because my hair would always grow longer than the extensions.

If I were you I'd check youtube. there are so many videos about making wigs and wefts

Ocelan
August 3rd, 2013, 07:51 AM
Recently I've also been interested in making clip-in dreadlocks from my shed hairs. Could also braid them with yarn or add some wool into them for color. I still have all my sheds from over a year's time saved up but I haven't really done anything with them.

Also we now have a big bag of our belgian shepherd dog hair which I intend to make into yarn, but that's another matter. :)

Neneka
August 20th, 2013, 02:11 AM
How are your doughnuts and other projects doing? I have still been collecting shed hairs and my doughnut has grown. I have also dyed my hair three times while making it. There is hennaed hair, green hair and some reddish blondette hair. I have also used a felting needle on it and it has helped to make it more firm.

Here is a picture of it with a doughnut I bought and with a sock I turned into a doughnut:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/bfjp01.jpg

And here they are sideways. My doughnut is clearly still too thin:

http://oi42.tinypic.com/abgrwx.jpg

The hole in the middle looks small (it looks smaller on the pic than in real life) but I am sure I can fit my hair through it with a ponytail tool.

SongofLove
August 20th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Wow Neneka, that doughnut looks great!

I'm just starting to collect my shed hairs. I should have started a long time ago, 'cause I always feel a bit bad for some reason when I throw my shed hairs away after combing...Like I'm wasting some precious resource :D

Neneka
August 20th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Thanks. :) I too feel bad if I have to throw shed hairs away but at least this project has made me feel better about shedding. (And my so thinks my doughnut is incredibly creepy :lol:)

tigereye
August 20th, 2013, 04:34 AM
I'm collecting shed hairs, but not for a doughnut. I'm wanting to make one of those hair bracelets that they used to have in victorian times. The difficulty is in keeping the sheds untangled. So far, thats the part thats not going well.

kme81
August 20th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I have over two years worth of shed hair in a little baggie; I only collect the hair that comes from my Tangle Teaser, so it is not everything---but it is most of of the sheds! I don't really know what kind of rat I want to make yet. Right now I just keep collecting. :) It doesn't look like very much and it needs to be washed, but it is sort of fun to watch the collection grow!

Agnes Hannah
September 12th, 2013, 03:15 PM
just found this post, eariler this week I made a rat with hair from my hairbrushes. Am also going to make a small bumpit and bun ring next. Its better than watching all those hairs go down the plughole or in the bin. When my hair was long before, i used to save the sheddings, and make mini hair extensions. I used to put a small plait in my own hair catching the extension,which I had sewn together and put a little silk cap on the top with a loop for the purpose. The small plait would hold the extension in place.

Stray_mind
September 13th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'll join. It's a brilliant way to track your shedding! :joy:

bekstamonkey
September 13th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I've also been saving my sheddings. I used to think I shed a LOT, but this is about 6 months worth of shed, thought there'd be a lot more. I'm waiting til I have at least double this amount before trying to turn it into a donut...
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/bekstamonkey/hair_zpse7ebc847.jpg (http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/bekstamonkey/media/hair_zpse7ebc847.jpg.html)

Now wondering what I can create with my old dreads....hmmm....
http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o594/bekstamonkey/dreads_zps8c865df4.jpg (http://s1149.photobucket.com/user/bekstamonkey/media/dreads_zps8c865df4.jpg.html)

MissCarrion
September 22nd, 2013, 08:38 PM
I had never really considered saving my strays after brushing and combing to make hair rats, but now that I think about it it's a really obvious idea haha! I'm going to start keeping mine from now on :D

jacqueline101
October 4th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I wanted to check back in I'm still collecting shed hairs. I guess my hair isn't shedding as much as it did.

Agnes Hannah
October 9th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I've just cut my sons' hair and my husbands hair, hubby suggested I kept the cut hair for a rat! He is so understanding! the rat will be a strange colour though, grey and light brown.
Still collecting my own combings though.

rowie
October 9th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Here is my update on my doughnut. I keep this in a big zip lock bag. My gawd my doughnut has grown. I think I might be done, maybe i'll just keep going with it since it is fun!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/931e0f94-2275-4dbb-8d60-e77000af7c91_zpsca3f9961.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/5c7f1821-8bb1-4eb1-b154-3d52af625fc1_zps7d8b0fcd.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/5c750103-f245-4008-a842-12e6cde379d9_zps60d854cc.jpg

jacqueline101
October 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Here is my update on my doughnut. I keep this in a big zip lock bag. My gawd my doughnut has grown. I think I might be done, maybe i'll just keep going with it since it is fun!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/931e0f94-2275-4dbb-8d60-e77000af7c91_zpsca3f9961.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/5c7f1821-8bb1-4eb1-b154-3d52af625fc1_zps7d8b0fcd.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/shyboyfriend/5c750103-f245-4008-a842-12e6cde379d9_zps60d854cc.jpg

Wow your shed hair donut is big but nice.

rowie
October 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Thank you! I guess i'll wait a few months again before I come back with another update. Hope to see y'all again. I am anticipating it and hopefully it will be another significant growth. Good luck everyone and happy shed collecting!

Norman
October 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Victorian/Edwardian ladies kept the hairs they brushed out in a "hairtidy". These are available as original antiques on e-bay . They come in many materials such as silver and glass and the prices often reflect this . It might be fun to know that you are carrying on a tradition from the past by using an original container designed specifically for that purpose.

rowie
February 6th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Well, I just wanted to send my long overdo update. My hair shed doughnut is now at a decent size to do a sockbun. I don't know if I'll keep adding to it, but for some odd reason this whole experience if anything has given me the habit of collecting my sheds and putting them in a zip lock bag to add to my doughnut. I don't know if I want a mega doughnut. I don't know what i'll do. Sometimes I enjoy this process and sometimes I hate it cause I realize how much hair I loose, but at the same time it felt good to try a sock bun and feel like i'm not cheating cause i'm using my own hairs. The best part is you can stick a hair stick easily in this doughnut! Without further ado my hair doughnut now:

http://i.imgur.com/ZGpRnZml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7EtTSel.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/96mKODml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8oUm9Rml.jpg

Loviatar
February 6th, 2014, 10:34 PM
That's very cool rowie, looks great.

I have synthetic hair rats, which I made by cutting up old theatre wigs past their best. But real hair rats would be more fun. It would take me forever though as I don't shed a lot.

I like the idea of a vintage hair receiver to keep sheds in. Laura Ingalls Wilder talks about her Ma having one, in her books. Thanks for the idea Norman.

Doreen
September 27th, 2018, 02:33 AM
I'm bringing this thread back as cooler weather approaches (hopefully) and I start to shed more... Who's with me?

I just cleaned my 2 brushes and rolled the shed into a ball as tight as I could. It's marble-sized. I'm thinking by the end of the year I'll have enough for a couple rats or a small donut.

ravenskey
September 27th, 2018, 09:16 AM
I'm bringing this thread back as cooler weather approaches (hopefully) and I start to shed more... Who's with me?

I just cleaned my 2 brushes and rolled the shed into a ball as tight as I could. It's marble-sized. I'm thinking by the end of the year I'll have enough for a couple rats or a small donut.

I'll join! I have not been able to find a hair bump anywhwere - doughnets yes, bumps no. So I've started saving my sheds to make one.

daisy rei
September 27th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Oooo, I like this thread! :) I wish I could still see the pictures!

I have a lop that sheds four times a year (almost more hair comes off of her little rabbit body than the huge dog) and her fur is so unbelievably soft and a gorgeous blue color.....I really want to start collecting all of the little tuft balls and turning them into "faux angora" yarn.

Alex Lou
September 27th, 2018, 10:03 AM
So I'm just saving shed hair to do strand tests. But does anyone else have a problem with lint? And what do you do about it? My hairbrush always has lint among the shed hair and I'm not sure how to separate it out.

I have a lop that sheds four times a year (almost more hair comes off of her little rabbit body than the huge dog) and her fur is so unbelievably soft and a gorgeous blue color.....I really want to start collecting all of the little tuft balls and turning them into "faux angora" yarn.

I've always dreamed of using my great pyrenees's super soft and pure white fur to make yarn. But the years that have passed without me taking any action probably mean that I never will...

ravenskey
September 27th, 2018, 10:14 AM
So I'm just saving shed hair to do strand tests. But does anyone else have a problem with lint? And what do you do about it? My hairbrush always has lint among the shed hair and I'm not sure how to separate it out.

Not sure if this will work, but before I actually use the sheds in my hair, I'm going to wash them with a sulfate shampoo. My thoughts are that it will make them squicky clean and as they're no longer on my head, I won't have a problem with them being dry!

bparnell75
September 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Yes I have done this for years. I collect them off of my hair brush every few days and then roll them around my finger to make little curls.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4505/37053933534_42cae0e33e.jpg
Then as I collect more I wrap it around the first curls and so on until I have a substantial little pouf.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4506/37054220184_5292711e55.jpg
I then use them to make poufs around my face.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4457/37053930114_d3577cf097.jpg
I also make bigger ones for larger poufs or for rolls.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4455/37053931984_f804e32996.jpg
I use clips to secure my hair most of the time, but I have used pins. I do not wash them and it seems ok.

bparnell75
September 27th, 2018, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=Alex Lou;3595766]So I'm just saving shed hair to do strand tests. But does anyone else have a problem with lint? And what do you do about it? My hairbrush always has lint among the shed hair and I'm not sure how to separate it out.

I there is lots of lint I reject those strands. There will be days after just washing that will give you fairly clean sheds.

Stray_mind
September 27th, 2018, 10:31 AM
I have an entire tail of my hair... The hairdresser chopped it off and gave it back to me... not sure if i should make something out of it.

cjk
September 27th, 2018, 12:07 PM
I have an entire tail of my hair... The hairdresser chopped it off and gave it back to me... not sure if i should make something out of it.

In old England, Elizabethan or Victorian, it was common to crochet or braid hair as a remembrance. A memento of someone. And keep it close to your heart.

daisy rei
September 27th, 2018, 04:23 PM

Use it as a paranda to thicken your braid!

Stray_mind
September 27th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Use it as a paranda to thicken your braid!

Hmmm that is an interesting idea! It's dyed with Henna though, so it would be a two toned braid, hahaha.

I have about 50 cm of hair in that tail.

leayellena
September 28th, 2018, 02:48 AM
Visit a doctor if you shed with white bulb so much

Stray_mind
September 28th, 2018, 03:40 AM
Visit a doctor if you shed with white bulb so much

Was that for me? It's not my Shed hair, but my ponytail which was cut off at the hairdresser when i decided to chop to chin from about Hip. :D

bparnell75
September 29th, 2018, 10:31 AM

I used to put my cut off tail into a snood with my short pony tail to make it look a lot bigger.