PDA

View Full Version : Hair Poof - thin hair

raingirl
January 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Anyone have any good tips for doing a "hair poof" when you have thin hair? Like this:

http://mybestfriendshair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Hilary-Poof1.jpg

Now that I'm doing protective styles and hair up almost all the time, I'm learning that the pulled back look just doesn't suit me. But, now that I'm not blow drying and CO, I'm finding the way that my hair air dries means I can't do a poof. And the CO is making my hair less fluffy and more weighed down.

So my thin weighed down wavy cow-lick hair just doesn't co-operate. I tried doing the style when wet but the hair just falls over as it dries....

Suggestions? Maybe just blow dry the front? I have a cow lick and previously I had to blow dry the area so that I could do the poof.

raingirl
January 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Obviously without teasing or hair spray...but I think that goes without saying here! :)

Amapola
January 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I have thin, fine hair and this is what I do. I wash my hair a few hours before going to bed, and then go to bed with it still a little damp. I bend over and comb it all to the top of my head, towards the floor, and put it up with a flexi in some sort of top knot bun, usually a figure 8. Then I sleep with it in that top knot. In the morning, it is nice and as "poofy" as my hair ever gets.

Of course, several hours later it is desperately striving to be flat again, but for a while at least I can enjoy relatively poofy hair!

papera
January 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Maybe this video will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Oi2iIvQgw

I don't like that hairstyle on myself, so I have never tried it, but maybe it works with your hair? Good luck!

chen bao jun
January 25th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Buy one of those things--those poof inserts. I forget the name, maybe somebody else remembers? They are like these little plastic things, you put them in your hair and comb hair over them and they give you some lift. The directions say to tease your hair, but DONT do that. they work without teasing. You can buy them on the internet, but I found them in the dollar store.

Natalia
January 25th, 2013, 08:16 PM
They make forms out of the same netting as bun forms attached to combs in order to get the poof. Ive seen them at clairs in the mall.

torrilin
January 25th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Anyone have any good tips for doing a "hair poof" when you have thin hair? Like this:

http://mybestfriendshair.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Hilary-Poof1.jpg

Now that I'm doing protective styles and hair up almost all the time, I'm learning that the pulled back look just doesn't suit me. But, now that I'm not blow drying and CO, I'm finding the way that my hair air dries means I can't do a poof. And the CO is making my hair less fluffy and more weighed down.

So my thin weighed down wavy cow-lick hair just doesn't co-operate. I tried doing the style when wet but the hair just falls over as it dries....

Suggestions? Maybe just blow dry the front? I have a cow lick and previously I had to blow dry the area so that I could do the poof.

If you try searching on "pompadour" you'll probably get better results. I don't particularly like this look on me, but I have a pretty round face and a strong widow's peak, so it looks a little odd. It was a somewhat popular style in the 1940s and 1960s, so vintage bloggers often have good suggestions for achieving it. A lot of them are ok with teasing and hairspray, but they'll also use "rats" or other tools to get volume and quite often you don't need to layer as many methods as they do.

If you decide that you do need product to get the look you want, pomade or a silicone free alcohol free gel will tend to be more long hair friendly than hairspray. I tend to go with the gel since it's easy to find. A lot of posters just use alcohol free aloe vera gel, tho stuff like LA Looks also works.

If the problem is just that you need more shape at the front, there are a lot of ways to get it. It might be a pompadour doesn't work well with your wave pattern, but twists, accent braids, victory rolls, finger waves or pin curls might do better. Sometimes even just doing a side part rather than a center part or no part will give enough shape.

LaFlor
January 25th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I'm able to get that look even when my hair is thin and flat. After you have parted the section where you want the poof to be, make sure to twist the section around a couple of times and then push it forward and clip it. The twisting keeps the hair that is pushed forward in place... something like this http://theowlsden.blogspot.com/2011/10/diy-mini-pompadour.html. Just don't twist it as tight as she does. I clip mine with bobby pins. Hope that helps :flower:.

teal
January 25th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Seconding LaFlor. I twist and push forward and then clip as well. I use a small amount of hair, as well. Sounds counterintuitive but it holds shape better with less hair. Also, no product. This is coming from someone who has always had "limp" hair.

raingirl
January 26th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Thanks! Lots of suggestions I will try out!

kdaniels8811
January 26th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Nightblooming has an article on this, search her hair articles. This is how I always wear my hair, thanks to her.