PDA

View Full Version : How to Style Your Hair Like a Chavette (Female Chav)

JCM
January 24th, 2013, 08:01 PM
How to Style Your Hair Like a Chavette (Female Chav)

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/0/03/Chavette.jpg/250px-Chavette.jpg

Okay, So you've been looking around for a serious article on how to style your hair like a Chavette (Female Chav)? Well here it is! This is the "Essex Facelift" Style ponytail. The original Chavette hair-do.

1 First, shampoo and condition your hair. Try and get it really clean. This will give your hair a sleek and super-soft look and feel.
2 Blow-dry your hair. Dry it with a hairdryer until it is completely dry. Be sure to comb it through first.
3 If your hair is long, straighten it. Get it as straight as you possibly can because it will make it look better.
4 If your hair is short, don't panic. You may have to get hair extensions. It would be best to only try this hairstyle if you have longer hair.
5 Brush your hair fully, then straighten out all the leftover kinks. Make sure it is a straight as it can be.
6 Start to brush your hair into a ponytail. Do this by sliding both your hands round to the back of you head and grabbing all your hair. Slowly start lifting it upwards and smoothing down all the sides and the top of your hair as you lift. This will prevent bumps.
7 When your hair is in a high ponytail, hairspray it. If you have a fringe, use the hairspray to slick it back on top of your head.
8 'Bump' up your fringe. After slicking it back, jolt it slightly forwards to make a small coif-like bump. Spray it violently with hairspray!!! After some practice it should look really good!
9 All done! Once again, lightly spray all of your hair to keep it in place.

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thumb/9/9e/Pony-tail-hairstyles.jpg/181px-Pony-tail-hairstyles.jpg

^ It should look like this!

Tips
Use straightening serum for a slicker look.
Allow your hair to dry naturally once in a while.
Practice this hairstyle before going out in public

Warnings
Don't do this to your hair everyday, as too much styling can ruin your hair.
This is a well-known Chavster hairstyle. If you're not prepared to take some stick for it, don't do it!

Things You'll Need
Shampoo
Conditioner
Serum optional
Straighteners
Scrunchie / bobble
LOTS of hairspray
Brush
Comb
Hair extensions optional

http://i50.tinypic.com/2jafdps.jpg

http://www.wikihow.com/Style-Your-Hair-Like-a-Chavette-(Female-Chav)

truepeacenik
January 24th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Excellent cut and paste with copyright infringement.
And a dead ugly style to boot.

Alun
January 24th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I'll have you know I am from Essex. Someone here had to be, you know. "Essex Facelift", indeed!

I'm from Hornchurch, which was swallowed up by Greater London when I was 8, so we moved back to Essex. Then for the next ten years I lived in Hutton, which is only a stone's throw from Billericay. Any Ian Dury fans reading this? In his immortal words, I'm not a bleedin' thickie, and I'm doing very well!

I have the hair to do the style, but as I'm a bloke I still wouldn't look like a chav(ette). Neither do I have the bling, or the Burberry tartan baseball cap, or the tracksuit/shell suit (ugh!).

Wiggy Stardust
January 24th, 2013, 11:56 PM
I love the style, but not the subculture. Nobody but chavs wants to be a chav.

JCM
January 25th, 2013, 12:24 AM
My father is Latin American and loves soccer. I remember him constatnly watching the Premier League on cable.
He would watch and keep up with other European leagues as well.
So naturally, when I was a child he made me participate in soccer in both rec leagues and at school.
He also made sure I had all of the latest Adidas, Puma, Reebok etc... soccer related apparel.
The clothing was comfortable so I had no objections to wearing it.
Many people in Latin America dress similarly to chavs but for some reason the style is viewed negatively in England.
I havent played soccer in years but every once in a while I will wear an Adidas shirt with matching nylon Adidas pants.

kaydana
January 25th, 2013, 12:51 AM
My father is Latin American and loves soccer. I remember him constatnly watching the Premier League on cable.
He would watch and keep up with other European leagues as well.
So naturally, when I was a child he made me participate in soccer in both rec leagues and at school.
He also made sure I had all of the latest Adidas, Puma, Reebok etc... soccer related apparel.
The clothing was comfortable so I had no objections to wearing it.
Many people in Latin America dress similarly to chavs but for some reason the style is viewed negatively in England.
I havent played soccer in years but every once in a while I will wear an Adidas shirt with matching nylon Adidas pants.

It's not the style that is viewed negatively in England, it's the subculture associated with that style.

LadyCelestina
January 25th, 2013, 02:40 AM
I hope I won't hijack this thread if I ask,what is a chav or chavette?

The hairstyle looks like what most of the girls here wear when they don't have time to style their hair or are going to exercise...:confused:

Mayflower
January 25th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I don't get the point of this thread?

metricfuture
January 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM
I'll have you know I am from Essex. Someone here had to be, you know. "Essex Facelift", indeed!

I'm from Hornchurch, which was swallowed up by Greater London when I was 8, so we moved back to Essex. Then for the next ten years I lived in Hutton, which is only a stone's throw from Billericay. Any Ian Dury fans reading this? In his immortal words, I'm not a bleedin' thickie, and I'm doing very well!

I have the hair to do the style, but as I'm a bloke I still wouldn't look like a chav(ette). Neither do I have the bling, or the Burberry tartan baseball cap, or the tracksuit/shell suit (ugh!).

Wait, your given name wouldn't happen to be Dickie, would it? :)

Lindseyh
January 25th, 2013, 07:20 AM
I googled what a Chav/chavette was and read the "definition" on urban dictionary. Highly amused, though to each their own.

jacqueline101
January 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I don't get it either.

akilina
January 25th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I don't get the point of this thread?
Me....Neither...

Alun's reply made me giggle though!! Especially the "ugh!" at the end!

LakeofGlass
January 25th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Considering a good amount of the stuff I've seen on LHC typically frowns upon heavy use of hairspray, I'm trying to understand why anyone would want to make a post about spraying globs of it on. :P I can't tell if this thread is tongue-in-cheek or real. Given that I've had a few good friends who are English, I've only heard negative things about being a chav. The hairstyle itself looks very 80s/90s to me, though. But if you use the braid wrap in the photo, along with braiding the hanging ponytail, you'll have your Mord-Sith hair. ;)

Tota
January 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I didn't know (until now) what a chavette is, but to me this looks like something that Fergie from The Black Eyed Peas would wear. Not something I would want (ever), but to each their own.

ETA: But I do love and adore Vicky Pollard! And her sister Katie!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG7pN1-K63k

Amygirl8
January 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
No clue what a chav is, but this is a style that I do occasionally.
Minus the blowdryers, straighteners and hairspray of course.

It's funny because it eats up so much length, and then everyone asks me if I got my hair cut or something lol

JCM
January 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I hope I won't hijack this thread if I ask,what is a chav or chavette?

The hairstyle looks like what most of the girls here wear when they don't have time to style their hair or are going to exercise...:confused:

This is a serious thread.
I think the "going to exercise..." hairstyle looks good.

ghost
January 25th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I like high, sleek ponytails, but I don't pair mine with tracksuits.

MsBubbles
January 25th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Any Ian Dury fans reading this?

Ian Dury! :rockerdud Reasons to be cheerful!

LadyCelestina
January 26th, 2013, 08:58 AM
This is a serious thread.
I think the "going to exercise..." hairstyle looks good.

I was being serious.I'm sorry if I didn't seem serious enough - it's hard to express seriousness through a computer screen.

Really,now,I was being polite and serious with my question.No offence was meant to be made,but judging from your reaction, I did offend you somehow?

Dorothy
January 26th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Let's be gentle with the OP, looks like he's new, still in the socialization process. What did you want to talk about, OP?

LakeofGlass
January 26th, 2013, 01:20 PM
I was being serious.I'm sorry if I didn't seem serious enough - it's hard to express seriousness through a computer screen.

Really,now,I was being polite and serious with my question.No offence was meant to be made,but judging from your reaction, I did offend you somehow?
JCM didn't as, but made the statement that the thread was serious. There wasn't anything that stated being offended. :) In fact, JCM said that it would be a good "going to exercise" hairstyle. Most here are talking more about the attitude from chavs anyway, not the hairstyle. I even mentioned something about it being an inch away from a Mord-Sith hairstyle, if anyone's even seen Legend of the Seeker, based off of Terry Goodking's book series "The Sword of Truth."

LadyCelestina
January 27th, 2013, 10:03 AM
JCM didn't as, but made the statement that the thread was serious. There wasn't anything that stated being offended. :) In fact, JCM said that it would be a good "going to exercise" hairstyle. Most here are talking more about the attitude from chavs anyway, not the hairstyle. I even mentioned something about it being an inch away from a Mord-Sith hairstyle, if anyone's even seen Legend of the Seeker, based off of Terry Goodking's book series "The Sword of Truth."

Yeah,I just fail to see why do I need to be reminded that this thread is serious.And I'm curious to know what made JCM feel like I'm thinking otherwise.
I try my best not to cause any flame wars on this forum,so if I involuntarily crossed any lines by asking what is a chav or chavette,or putting those terms into connection with casuality/sport,I apologize,but I couldn't know.:flower:

I should have just googled it anyway.

JCM
January 27th, 2013, 10:59 AM

I am not offended.
Some people in England seem to be offended by Chavs though.
I just wish they would realize people all over the world fight over soccer.
The problem isnt exclusive to England.

kaydana
January 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I am not offended.

Okay, you're going to have to explain what you mean by this because I'm well and truly confused.

Chavs have nothing to do with soccer, they are youths who act in an antisocial and often violent manner who tend to dress in designer (or imitation designer) sportswear.

palaeoqueen
January 28th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Okay, you're going to have to explain what you mean by this because I'm well and truly confused.

Chavs have nothing to do with soccer, they are youths who act in an antisocial and often violent manner who tend to dress in designer (or imitation designer) sportswear.

What she said, I'm also very confused!

faellen
January 28th, 2013, 09:58 AM
If you're not from the UK you may not "get" this thread, lol, unless you've done some research. When it comes to chavvy hairstyles I mainly think of men though, with stupid shapes shaved into their head.

I am not offended.

I think you've confused chavs with football hooligans, the two terms aren't interchangeable :)

dollyfish
January 28th, 2013, 11:34 AM
For context for us Americans: "chav" is a classist slur similar to the American term "trailer trash" ("white trash"). If you've ever seen the show Trailer Park Boys, many of the characters would be considered "chavs." It's a fashion/subculture associated with poverty.

palaeoqueen
January 28th, 2013, 02:27 PM
For context for us Americans: "chav" is a classist slur similar to the American term "trailer trash" ("white trash"). If you've ever seen the show Trailer Park Boys, many of the characters would be considered "chavs." It's a fashion/subculture associated with poverty.

Not sure about the poverty bit, after all designer clothes and ginormous TVs are very much associated with chavs. It's definitely a class thing though and does tend to be associated with the poorer end of the spectrum though it's entirely possible to be absolutely loaded and still be chavvy.

hufflepug
January 28th, 2013, 02:43 PM
If you've ever watched Misfits, Kelly is supposed to be a chav.

faellen
January 28th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Not sure about the poverty bit, after all designer clothes and ginormous TVs are very much associated with chavs. It's definitely a class thing though and does tend to be associated with the poorer end of the spectrum though it's entirely possible to be absolutely loaded and still be chavvy.

Exactly this.

cathair
January 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM
For an idea of what a chav is like, fat pie perhaps?

Edit: fair warning, they are swearing quite a lot and being generally unpleasant after a short way into the video. Watch at own risk.
http://www.fat-pie.com/fridaywithdevvo.htm

I agree it probably is quite hard to get across to anyone outside the UK. It is a lot about sports wear and branded clothes, but it's more than that, it's sort of aggressive. There is the richer end of it, as others have said with the large screen TVs and cars, but there is also hangs around the streets wasted and harassing people kind of chav.

I think many many people are guilty of the hair style in their school years though. That's probably why a lot of us are here complaining about straighteners!

dollyfish
January 29th, 2013, 05:50 AM

AFAIK, it's meant to make fun of poor people who blow all their money on glitz, designer sportswear, etc. Like poor people in southern California who need food stamps to eat but spend all their salary on a BMW. Or like poor inner city New York kids who spend the bulk of their money on expensive jewelry and clothing. I thought chavs were poor people who "lived beyond their means," so to speak. It's possible to be rich and chavvy the same way it's technically possible to be rich and "white-trashy," or "thug," I guess, because it's a subculture.

Neneka
January 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I have never heard of chavs before. It's always good to learn something new. :D

RavennaNight
January 29th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Looks like the trashy bling, gold teeth, and big rims style that was popular in the USA before the economic collapse, and all the people who subscribed to the subculture had to pawn that stuff and it has disappeared now. Hmmm. Maybe this Chav stuff explains where that stuff went? See? America does export something! /snerk.

palaeoqueen
January 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
AFAIK, it's meant to make fun of poor people who blow all their money on glitz, designer sportswear, etc. Like poor people in southern California who need food stamps to eat but spend all their salary on a BMW. Or like poor inner city New York kids who spend the bulk of their money on expensive jewelry and clothing. I thought chavs were poor people who "lived beyond their means," so to speak. It's possible to be rich and chavvy the same way it's technically possible to be rich and "white-trashy," or "thug," I guess, because it's a subculture.

Not necessarily, there is a middle class* sneeriness attached to it but there are also people who proudly identify as chavs.

*NB. As I've discovered "middle class" means something different in the UK and in the US, just to avoid any further confusion ;)

Macaroni
January 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Very interesting subject. I've never heard the term and Wiki said it means "council housed and violent".

Here in the states we could use PRATS, "poorly raised and terminally stupid", from all socio-economic levels :) or
BRAD "badly raised and dumb" :).

LakeofGlass
January 29th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah,I just fail to see why do I need to be reminded that this thread is serious.And I'm curious to know what made JCM feel like I'm thinking otherwise.
I try my best not to cause any flame wars on this forum,so if I involuntarily crossed any lines by asking what is a chav or chavette,or putting those terms into connection with casuality/sport,I apologize,but I couldn't know.:flower:

I should have just googled it anyway.

Lol, it wasn't to remind you, it was meant for the rest who were reading the thread. Sometimes people do post topics that, due to their personality, are meant to be satirical, or poke fun at an idea. As someone mentioned later on in the thread, chavs tend to be referred to negatively, I would say much like Americans refer to "wanna-be ganstas." Personally I do think the two look/act pretty similar, minus the Burberry cap. Note that I didn't say like an actual "gangsta." The wanna-be's end up just using the styles and trying too hard. Given that I've had many friends from the UK over the years, that's how I've taken it to be.

young&reckless
January 29th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Burberry is actual the brand of choice for gangster (real ones and warranties) in my area now. Burberry and ugh shoes.

Alun
January 30th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Wait, your given name wouldn't happen to be Dickie, would it? :)

ROTFLMAO! No, 'fraid not!

Alun
January 30th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Chavs are a semi-violent working class (blue collar in American?) subculture. An example of chavvy bad behaviour is 'happy slapping' - knocking someone to the ground and then immediately taking a pic of them with a phone and sharing it.

Where it gets all confused is that some people use chav as an insult to label poor people with. In that sense they are using it like trailer trash. There is a difference between not liking chavs (reasonable) and labelling poor people as chavs (purely derogatory).

My whole family on both sides once lived in a housing project, which in the UK we call a council estate. Some of them still do.

So, if chav stands for 'council housed and violent' (not sure if that is a true explanation), you can see that some people might label anyone who even looks like they are from public housing as a chav, although in fact chavs tend to all dress alike (real or fake Burberry, bling, tracksuits, etc.) and have the same hair (shaved for guys and ponytails for chavettes).

In my day we had skinheads rather than chavs. La plus ca change, la plus c'est la meme chose.

LakeofGlass
January 30th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Would that be similar to a yob at all? Yob might be more thug-ish, but thugs/gangstas are considered to be people from the projects.

Dorothy
January 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Well, the video was interesting, although I didn't notice all THAT much cussing, other than the F Bombs. He may have been using cusswords this American Kansas girl doesn't know. The intersection of class and culture, macro and micro, is an interesting place. Call me a therapist, but I'm sure his misbehavior all comes from a place of pain.... But I will tell you that I think the world over, these folks are very hard to handle in group therapy. I spent a very challenging morning trying to control/manage/help a fellow like this in a room full of other suicidal and/or psychotic people, and they tolerated him a lot better than I did.