PDA

View Full Version : Help with avc rinse.

Angel Barchild
January 24th, 2013, 03:32 PM
After hearing all the wonderful things people have to say about avc rinse I finally got up the nerve to try one today. This was a horrible idea. My hair feels like sticky straw. Can anyone help me with why this happened, and how I can fix it. I put my hair up in some braids to hide it for now but I have no idea what I'm going do about it. My hair is normally very slick and smooth, now it's rough and sticky and gross. :sad

shutterpillar
January 24th, 2013, 03:36 PM
How much did you use? Did you dilute it at all?

Angel Barchild
January 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
How much did you use? Did you dilute it at all?

I did two tablespoons of acv in two cups of water. I found that ratio online.

Vrindi
January 24th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I had a similar experience when I first tried it. Sounds like you used undiluted or too much? Here's what I do now:
I got a small spray bottle from Target. I put about 1/4 cup ACV in the bottom. I fill the rest with filtered water, about 1 1/2 cups or so. Before I get out of the shower, I squeeze the extra water out of my hair, and spray the diluted ACV all over my hair. The spray bottle helps to get it evenly and actually gets it on my hair instead of all down my back. I squeeze out the excess. That's it.

shutterpillar
January 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Hmmm... you may try diluting it some more. I do two tbsp in about 32 oz... sooo... 4 cups. One thing I have seen here is that everyone's measurements for their rinses are different, and it takes some touch-and-go before you get it right. At least it did for me.

I hope someone else can come help you further, because more diluting would be my only suggestion.

knhess
January 24th, 2013, 03:46 PM
That's strange! I'm sorry this happened to you! How exactly did you do it?

I could only imagine that happening if you put it on undiluted and left it on or something.

I usually do 1/4 cup of acv to 2 cups of water after I've shampooed and then I left it sit for a couple minutes and proceed with conditioner.

Angel Barchild
January 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
That's strange! I'm sorry this happened to you! How exactly did you do it?

I could only imagine that happening if you put it on undiluted and left it on or something.

I usually do 1/4 cup of acv to 2 cups of water after I've shampooed and then I left it sit for a couple minutes and proceed with conditioner.

I did my normal shampoo (Aussie Mega Moist) rinsed it out and then poured the diluted acv rinse on my hair. I let it set for just a few seconds then squeezed out the excess and wrapped my hair up like normal. At first I thought it was great, because when I went to detangle my hair there were no tangles. As it dried it just got gross. Though to be fair the sticky has allowed me to put my hair up in a way I never could because it was so slick before.

feb26
January 24th, 2013, 04:48 PM
I always do 2Tbsp acv in an empty bottle of shampoo. I fill it to the top with water, shake & use it after shampoo & condish. I rinse if out & have never had any problems & get a nice shiny head from doing this. Not sure if I'm doing it off, but maybe try it this way. I agree, you probably had too much vinegar. maybe try a really good leave in condish or a masque to restore moisture?

maborosi
January 24th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah I haven't had stellar results with ACV like a lot of people, and I'm starting to wonder if I just do it wrong. I don't think I usually used distilled water (could be part of it- we live in an area with slightly hard water) but other than that, my hair wasn't mega-smooth or shiny after trying it. :(

~maborosi~

Kelikea
January 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Check to make sure that your acv is indeed just vinegar, without any additives. Some can have colors and flavors added, and maybe that could affect your hair.

Amygirl8
January 24th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Maybe instead of just squeezing the excess out you take water and rinse most of it out?
Your hair might not like it being left on.

Keep trying! I just started them too and I mostly like that my hair is now shiny and frizz-free after blowdrying, since before it looked dry and dull.

Angel Barchild
January 25th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Well my hair is a little better today, less sticky. I'm going to hide it up for a couple days and then wash it like normal. It really makes me unhappy. It's kind of like when you over condition except that the hair feels rough as well. I hope it's not damaged. Well you live and learn.

ravenreed
January 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
You have to rinse it out really well.

I did my normal shampoo (Aussie Mega Moist) rinsed it out and then poured the diluted acv rinse on my hair. I let it set for just a few seconds then squeezed out the excess and wrapped my hair up like normal. At first I thought it was great, because when I went to detangle my hair there were no tangles. As it dried it just got gross. Though to be fair the sticky has allowed me to put my hair up in a way I never could because it was so slick before.

Amapola
January 25th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Agree with Ravenreed. That's what I do - rinse it out.

Although I use citric acid not ACV.

I rinse it, and then put some conditioner on my hair after rinsing all the citric acid out. This works well for me, I tried vinegar at first but really prefer the citric acid. Some people use lemon juice. You might have to try a few things before you find what you like the best.

AmberJewel
July 15th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I was wondering about whether you're supposed to rinse after doing a "rinse". I sometimes do an infusion made from chamomile and thyme and add a tbsp. of ACV. I pour it through my hair after CO washing, but wasn't sure if I should rinse it out. This is using about 2 cups of water, maybe a little more.

Anje
July 15th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I was wondering about whether you're supposed to rinse after doing a "rinse". I sometimes do an infusion made from chamomile and thyme and add a tbsp. of ACV. I pour it through my hair after CO washing, but wasn't sure if I should rinse it out. This is using about 2 cups of water, maybe a little more.
Try it both ways, see what you like better. Some people rinse their vinegar rinses out, some don't.

Anje
July 15th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Try it both ways, see what you like better. Some people rinse their vinegar rinses out, some don't.

jupiterinleo
July 15th, 2014, 02:53 PM
You could also try plain white vinegar. I think that the more raw versions of ACV can leave a weird coating on the hair because of all stuff floating around in it, which is why you have to usually shake up the bottle before use.

molljo
July 15th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Seconding white vinegar. I prefer it to ACV, and I dilute it A LOT, like 1/2 cup in a 15 cup pitcher, let it sit a few minutes, and rinse it out with cool water. Strongly agree that you really have to play around with types of rinses and various dilutions to find what works for you.

Larki
July 15th, 2014, 05:06 PM
I have only tried a vinegar rinse once, and I used 1/3 cup white vinegar to 1 1/2 cups water. I noticed absolutely no difference in my hair at all. :p