PDA

View Full Version : seborrheic dermatitis stressing me out.

Luna12345
January 24th, 2013, 02:18 AM
Hi everyone,

After two and a half years of growing my hair...it's finally long but now I just feel like chopping it off because I now
have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and my face....I know this is so disgusting and so uncomfortable. It all started at the beginning of my pregnancy and my baby is now 3 months old. I can not wash my hair daily because it's too long and with a baby I just don't have that time. I've been using head and shoulders shampoo but its drying my hair out and on the days I don't use it the seborrheic dermatitis returns.
I'm so desperate that I've even considered using monistat on both my scalp and face since it's an antifungal.
Has anyone tried this. I'm so tired of my face being red and itchy with flakes...I'm desperate for a cure and I dont want to use anything with corticosteroids because of the bad side affects.
My seborrheic dermatitis seems to be worse on my face than my scalp....and I already suffer with 9ther ski problems because I have so many allergies but so far this has been driving me nuts because it's on my face and the itch is really intolerable. Has anyone suffered with this issue and found some relief ? Please let me know what has worked for you.
Thanks in advance =).

ladyfey
January 24th, 2013, 02:32 AM
I get the same thing! my face really suffers with it. The only thing that helped me was Nizoral or Dandrene shampoos. The active ingredient in these is ketoconazole, which is an antifungal. Very different from other antidandruff shampoos. I really like the Dandrene, it decreases oil for me like nothing else, but both clear my skin and save my scalp. They get rid of some of the yeast which is probably what your skin reacts to. With the Dandrene, I have been able to decrease shampooing to twice a week, which I would have thought impossible before. I get it on-line, it is more expensive than non-ketoconazole shampoo, but so worth it to me and I use it less often anyway. Good luck!

kittengirl
January 24th, 2013, 10:34 AM
I can't help you with the scalp problem since DH has a similar thing and we are still working on it, but for your face I would try Mario Badescu Control Cream. I use this cream on anything red or flaky and it literally cleared up within a few hours. It might be worth a try. You can find it on Amazon or on the Mario Badescu website.

melusine963
January 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM
You really need an actual antifungal shampoo, like ladyfey is suggesting. Head and Shoulders just isn't going to cut it. I've had great luck with Nizoral in the past.

starlamelissa
January 24th, 2013, 03:53 PM
My husband washes daily with suave scalp solutions shampoo in the ocean scent, on his beard and scalp. Conditions with suave naturals on the ends only, also in an ocean scent.

He uses a hydrocortisone cream on any red spot that appears, and that zaps it.

His hair is apl and this routine keeps it under control. Seriously, try daily washing with an anti dandruff shampoo and using a hydrocortisone cream on your face and hairline. If that doesn't help then seriously see your family doc for a prescription medicated shampoo and prescription cream.

Long hair is great, but I'd shave my head before I would put up with the symptoms you are describing.

Luna12345
January 24th, 2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks guys. I'm getting some nizoral to try today and if that doesn't work than I'll try some of the other suggestions. I hope something works. =)
Thank You!

pelicano
January 25th, 2013, 02:54 PM
The only things that help me are: neat glycerine (stings a bit, but really helps), and fish oil (taken internally).