PDA

View Full Version : Semi-permanent color question

rock007junkie
January 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM
After seeing all the beautiful colors on the manic panic thread I've started thinking about adding some color to my strands. However, i'm wondering if semi-permanent...as opposed to permanent hair color causes damage to the hair. I haven't had any chemical treatments done to my hair in years.

misspurdy06
January 23rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
Semi does do damage but not as much as permanent. I used Natural instincts once and it lifted my roots a little and made my hair dry. Manic Panic is almost neutral but I did find it a tiny bit drying just a tiny bit.

A good rule of thumb with any amount of hair dyes is to expect some damage.

ravenreed
January 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
I used demi-permanant for several years with minimal damage. It used 9 volume peroxide, and I made sure to coat my hair in coconut oil for about a half hour before applying. I had been previously using more standard box dyes and found demi-permanent was so much more gentle to my hair! It was like night and day. I have since switched to Elumen and have been having even better luck with that.

akilina
January 23rd, 2013, 09:23 PM
To clear something up..Semi permanent uses no developer. Manic Panic only partially penetrates the hair shaft with small dye molecules.
Demi does use a developer, and only deposits color into the shaft. Permanent lifts then deposits color.

I have used demi permanent with no damage whatsoever for years now.

Semi permanent dye would give you most likely no damage whatsoever. It just sort of lightly fills in your hair And even if you did use demi permanent color the damage would be very minimal (assuming you do not use box dyes.)
To clarify on that...I really have never used a box dye that doesn't damage my hair. Even if it is not permanent. They somehow manage to always thrash and destroy my hair.

If you are going to go the Demi permanent route instead of just Semi (like manic panic), make sure you go to some sort of supply store and get a tube of color you want, and 10vol developer only.