PDA

View Full Version : Not a big deal to some, but...

faellen
January 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM
For ages I've been saying I can't french braid my own hair. Well tonight I thought I'd give it a go, and... it turns out I can!

When I took the photo I was expecting it to look terrible but I'm actually quite proud of myself, haha. OK, it's not perfect and there are stray hairs, but I feel quite happy I have another hairstyle I can wear.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/frenchbraid1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/frenchbraid2.jpg

Anyone else accomplished something new lately? :) Even if it's something simple like mine!

Seeshami
January 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
That is awesome! I always braid dutch so I can't braid french like that. It looks great!

faellen
January 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
That is awesome! I always braid dutch so I can't braid french like that. It looks great!

Thank you! I have been able to french braid other peoples' hair but have always messed it up on my own hair, as I like to see what I'm doing! Dutch braiding is something I will have to try next!

Chromis
January 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Yeah!! :cheer:

I was totally thrilled the first time I did one too :D

Gumball
January 23rd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Whoohoo! It looks great! :thumbsup: Bonus points for having another styling option. My hair fights me with all it has when I try to french braid it, so successes are few and far between.

Tota
January 23rd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Awesome braid, so thick and shiny!

rock007junkie
January 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
It is a big deal learning how to braid and it looks like you did a great job at it :)

lapushka
January 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
Awesome braid, so thick and shiny!

Yes, most definitely! :agree:

HairFaerie
January 23rd, 2013, 04:06 PM
It looks BEAUTIFUL! Congrats! :)

moxamoll
January 23rd, 2013, 04:07 PM
I was so excited when I finally figured out French and Dutch braiding. Congratulations!! :cheers:

Madora
January 23rd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Faellen, your french braid is terrific! Congrats! I know how thrilled you can be when something new turns out fab!
For ages I've been saying I can't french braid my own hair. Well tonight I thought I'd give it a go, and... it turns out I can!

When I took the photo I was expecting it to look terrible but I'm actually quite proud of myself, haha. OK, it's not perfect and there are stray hairs, but I feel quite happy I have another hairstyle I can wear.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/frenchbraid1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/frenchbraid2.jpg

Anyone else accomplished something new lately? :) Even if it's something simple like mine!

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Looks good.

MotherConfessor
January 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
Very nice! I am still trying to master the dutch braid myself, you have inspired me to try again.

Vanilla
January 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Looks awesome. :).

faellen
January 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for your kind words! My hair did fight with me at first and I had to start again at one point, but I won in the end, lol!

MotherConfessor, definitely keep trying. I'm going to attempt the dutch braid next!

AngryVikingGirl
January 23rd, 2013, 04:56 PM
That's beautiful! Well done! :blossom:

maborosi
January 23rd, 2013, 05:04 PM
No, that IS a big deal. I am so clumsy I can't french braid my own hair, and I've tried many times. :(

Great job- it looks really nice!!

~maborosi~

Eirelin
January 23rd, 2013, 05:22 PM
It is a big deal.

Also, I learned to French braid a long time ago and was never all that happy with it. Then I tried it "backwards," discovered it was so much easier for me, and have done it that way for a long time, long before I discovered it was called "Dutch."

lunalocks
January 23rd, 2013, 06:36 PM
Beautiful braid! Congrats.

Sharysa
January 23rd, 2013, 07:47 PM
French and Dutch braids are my favorite ways to keep my hair in protective styles. Congratulations on learning to French braid!

Lostsoule77
January 23rd, 2013, 08:09 PM
Congratulations on not only getting it done, but getting it done so well! Seems like you have just about perfect spacing! :D

I learned to french braid as a preteen I think. Always liked the look of dutch braids, but had no clue that's what they were called or how they were done either! Didn't learn until years later. LOL

RileyJane
January 23rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
i actually couldnt think i could do any braids besides just a regular ole braid, but i tried to do a french as well...and succeeded! i just did a dutch braid the other day, and was extremely proud of myself too :) i guess we just need to believe in ourselves more

spirals
January 24th, 2013, 03:07 AM
Looks perfect to me....

Quixii
January 24th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Wow, that looks great!

And don't worry, I still can't French (or Dutch) braid my own hair. :)

bunzfan
January 24th, 2013, 04:09 AM
It looks beautiful and shiny :crush:

jasper
January 24th, 2013, 04:19 AM
I think it is awesome. It has been a while since I tried myself, and so far I have had only limited success.

Jeleebaby
January 24th, 2013, 04:26 AM
Well done, looks lovely, you should be very pleased

Soltimus
January 24th, 2013, 08:28 AM
That looks lovely! Very well done for a first time. I've never been able to do one myself. To be honest I don't know if I'll be able to at all. I have hypermobile elbow joints and it hurts soon after I start messing about with putting my hair up etc. I am officially jealous of you ;)

faellen
January 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Thanks all for your lovely comments!

I severely injured the middle finger of my right hand last year, and lost some of my dexterity so didn't think I'd be able to do this. So glad that I can :)

Here's a pic today in natural light (2nd time lucky!) which I think looks quite nice with the two different shades in my hair!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8369/8411694210_50ea0bf608.jpg

Madora
January 24th, 2013, 08:36 AM
That is beautiful! The more you do it, the easier it becomes!

Thanks all for your lovely comments!

I severely injured the middle finger of my right hand last year, and lost some of my dexterity so didn't think I'd be able to do this. So glad that I can :)

Here's a pic today in natural light (2nd time lucky!) which I think looks quite nice with the two different shades in my hair!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8369/8411694210_50ea0bf608.jpg

Babyfine
January 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
congratulations! And it is a big deal, at least to me, as I still can't French(or Dutch) braid my own hair, least not so I think it looks good enough to go out in public.
Looks great on you!

shutterpillar
January 24th, 2013, 08:58 AM
That is REALLY great for a first try! I've been able to do it for months now and mine still dont look that neat. LOL. Nice job. :)

embee
January 24th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Dang! That's really good. :)

All I can do is the standard English braid. And it is pretty pathetic, at my thickness (thinness).

froglet
January 24th, 2013, 01:17 PM
That is definitely a big deal. Looks amazing for your first and second try! When braiding I'm all thumbs.

faellen
January 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Thank you all! :D

When I've learned how to dutch braid I may try the "Katniss braid"!

oktobergoud
January 24th, 2013, 01:36 PM
It looks so neat!! Amazing :D

melusine963
January 24th, 2013, 02:12 PM
That looks pretty perfect to me. :) I'd be delighted if I could french braid half as well, but I'm still struggling. I've even made it one of my hair goals for this year.

long-hair-lover
January 26th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Looks lovely:o
I can't French braid, boohoo sucks to be meeeeee

faellen
January 27th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Thank you all :)

I tried a Dutch braid the other day and it looked terrible. More practice needed!

PianoPlaye
January 27th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Wow!
Well done & the bicolour really looks a m a z i n g!
Are you finding your arms ache with the fine muscle control above & behind your head? As that passes with practice.
(My first braiding lessons were on a (very patient) horse - it was only when I joined TLHC that I realised rubber bands were not recommended for human use. Still tempted to sew them in some days, but the tassel, the tassel!)

Lostsoule77
January 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM
I love the two color look! And just keep practicing the Dutch. You'll get it just like you got the French.

CurlyCurves
January 29th, 2013, 07:03 PM
:thud: can..can I touch your hair?

jlb
January 29th, 2013, 08:05 PM
i'm jealous! I used to be able to french braid until I got to the bottom where you add the rest of your hair? Then for some reason it all just fell apart. But for some reason I can dutch braid, now if only I could sort out lace braids.

Congratulations, it's wonderful

march_sun
January 29th, 2013, 08:21 PM
It looks great!!