PDA

View Full Version : Really noticing the damage

W2
January 23rd, 2013, 02:52 PM
Until I ended up in here, I dyed my hair, comb or brush it violently and blow dried my hair.

I stopped the box dye in May 2011. And from October I stopped the other abuses. I did though have high lights in March 2012, to ease the grow out.

My hair has grown from shoulder to BSL, the longest it has ever been. Yay

But I can clearly see, that the buttom 12-15 cm are thinner than the rest. They are not splitting, just thinner.

I am not about to cut it all off, but I plan to trim it regularly.

It's amazing, the damage I've done to my hair in the past.

Nebulae
January 23rd, 2013, 03:20 PM
Yes, I'm seeing the same thing with my hair very clearly and I have only started taking better care of it since about six months back! I'm so happy to see how much better my hair is that has grown since then. :)
Like you, I also plan to trim my damage off as I grow.. I just don't want to lose much length right now, and babying my ends seem to help my length look decent enough.

Seeshami
January 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM
I have had a lot of issues with dye damage, micro trims and using products made for dye damage is the best thing. I have had really great success with John Frieda's intense repair system and I also really like husk placenta and olive oil leave in. It is placenta protein from sheep, knowing helped me see it's not so icky to put placenta on my hair.

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2013, 04:51 PM
My hair has been doing the same I changed routines and the damage came out. Its finally getting under control.

maborosi
January 23rd, 2013, 05:16 PM
Yup yup. The first time around when I started growing my hair, BSL/MBL-ish was when a lot of the old damage started to rear its head. I think it's pretty normal. But boy did it surprise me!

Hopefully this time 'round I won't be in for such a big shock now that I started over with healthy hair habits!

~maborosi~

rtree721
January 23rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
I am in the same boat. I almost feel like I can see the line of damage. The top 4inches of my hair is all soft and smooth and then about chin to shoulder length is where the blahhhh starts. I really feel like my hair will be a different texture once I finally cut off all that damage.

sun-kissed
January 23rd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Not two hours ago I was standing looking in my double mirror at my damage line. From APL to waist there is nothing but split ends and broken chunks of hair from my previous brushing habits.

/sigh. I believe many months of micro-trimming is in order...

Seeshami
January 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Just remember your not alone. In my getting rid of henna I colored all of my hair. From root to tip that is almost hip I have to fight the micro trim battle.

melusine963
January 24th, 2013, 02:55 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, W2. Unfortunately, my hair was already at BSL before I learned how to properly take care of it. Since I didn't want to lose any length, I've been forced to just trim most of my new growth off each year. Even though the damage has gone now, it'll be another two or three years before my taper catches up to the rest of my TBL hair. :shrug: