PDA

View Full Version : How to get my old hair thickness back?ponytail circumference and hairstrand thickness

lole18
January 23rd, 2013, 10:02 AM
I started shedding really bad 6 years ago(when i first got my period) and lost 3\4 of my hair!! my circumference was 2.7 now it's 1!! my hair was meduim thickness now it's very fine and limp! i've been trying to do everything to save the hair i have now and grow out my old hair but it still isn't getting better! please help me with some tips? also i heard castor and coconut oil help with the thickness.. is that true? how should i apply it and when will i notice a difference? :( i got really depressed i'm 19 now and i loved my hair when i was younger now i'm so insecure about it

JadeTigress
January 23rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
I would say go to the doctor. You should've gone 6 years ago, but now is better than never. The first thing that comes to my mind, since the hair loss started with your first period, is hormonal issues.

But with the castor oil, just massage it into your scalp. You can use it by itself or mix it with other oils. Everyone is different, but a lot of people have gotten results from it. :)

kaydana
January 23rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
:grouphug:

Have you spoken to a doctor about this? Seems like a lot of hair to lose and there are a lot of health problems that can cause thinning, so if you haven't been already it might be a good idea to go and make sure that this isn't a symptom of a bigger problem.

lole18
January 23rd, 2013, 10:35 AM
I would say go to the doctor. You should've gone 6 years ago, but now is better than never. The first thing that comes to my mind, since the hair loss started with your first period, is hormonal issues.

But with the castor oil, just massage it into your scalp. You can use it by itself or mix it with other oils. Everyone is different, but a lot of people have gotten results from it. :)

:grouphug:

Have you spoken to a doctor about this? Seems like a lot of hair to lose and there are a lot of health problems that can cause thinning, so if you haven't been already it might be a good idea to go and make sure that this isn't a symptom of a bigger problem.

I went to the doctor 2 years after i started thinning and he gave me vitamin and iron pills because i had anemia and i took hypothyroid medicine as well because i discovered i had it.. he said everything should go back to normal in a couple of months i went back to him and he said it isn't a health problem anymore because i'm still taking my vitamins and thyroid pills.. so i want a remedy to help with this :( how long should i keep the castor oil on my scalp? what oils should i mix it with ? and should i put it on my hair so i could regain the coarseness? now it's so fine! i want it to be atleast fine to medium :( also when will i notice a difference in my hair? thanks a bunch!

kaydana
January 23rd, 2013, 11:32 AM
There's a whole thread on using castor oil for hair growth (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265&highlight=castor+oil). Lots of different ideas for what oils people have mixed it with and how they've applied it, so that should help. I really hope you manage to get this sorted. If it does work, don't expect results straight away. Your thickness can only return as your hair grows back so even if it works perfectly it'll be months until you start to regain thickness.

lole18
January 23rd, 2013, 11:44 AM
There's a whole thread on using castor oil for hair growth (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265&highlight=castor+oil). Lots of different ideas for what oils people have mixed it with and how they've applied it, so that should help. I really hope you manage to get this sorted. If it does work, don't expect results straight away. Your thickness can only return as your hair grows back so even if it works perfectly it'll be months until you start to regain thickness.

Thanks so much :)

lole18
January 24th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I started shedding really bad 7 years ago now my hair circumference is 0.8-1 :( i tried slowing down the shedding but i'm not gaining my old hair back.. what do you think of my routine and what more should i add? I wash my hair twice\3 times a week with an sls free shampoo then put on conditioner and detangle with a comb while rinsing it i leave a towel on it for 20-50 minutes and take it off then put one teaspoon of parachute coconut oil from my ears down and braid it or put it in a bun also once a week i do a scalp\hair oil treatment sometimes with coconut oil sometimes castor.. what should i add? also whats the best thing u reccomend for shedding and gaining thickness? i have apl 2b i "very thin and fine" frizzy hair :) the first thing i want to work with is the thickness then the length :) help me? i dont mind if the product is expensive or hard to find i'll try my best to find it i want my old hair back :(

starlamelissa
January 24th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I'd see a doctor, before I bought a new product. Your routine sounds fine.

jacqueline101
January 24th, 2013, 04:40 PM
I agree it could be a medical issue.

spidermom
January 24th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Why do you use so much oil? I wouldn't even put an entire teaspoon of oil into my thick hair.

Not that I think that's the reason you have lost so much hair.

maborosi
January 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Have you talked to a doctor? That is a LOT of loss and it's probably not from your routine!

Take care of yourself! :flower:

ETA: Do you know what your circumference/thickness was before you started shedding?

Also, IME, henna/cassia has really thickened up my individual hairs and made them incredibly resiliant. BUT! You need to get to the bottom of why you're having issues with your hair shedding before you try new hair experiments.

~maborosi~

lole18
January 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I'd see a doctor, before I bought a new product. Your routine sounds fine.

I agree it could be a medical issue.

Why do you use so much oil? I wouldn't even put an entire teaspoon of oil into my thick hair.

Not that I think that's the reason you have lost so much hair.

Have you talked to a doctor? That is a LOT of loss and it's probably not from your routine!

Take care of yourself! :flower:

ETA: Do you know what your circumference/thickness was before you started shedding?

Also, IME, henna/cassia has really thickened up my individual hairs and made them incredibly resiliant. BUT! You need to get to the bottom of why you're having issues with your hair shedding before you try new hair experiments.

~maborosi~

I'm already taking my iron and hypothyroid pills and checking with my doctor regularly so that isn't it. as for the oil how much should i use? no it is not the reason why my hair fell because i just started using it! i tried henna and it didn't work for me :( what's cassia and how should i use it? :)

maborosi
January 24th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Cassia is kind of like henna, but the effects aren't as strong and it doesn't typically change the hair's color much (It might if you have very light hair, though, or it could give it more of a warm glow). It's a good alternative if you want to do an herbal treatment, but don't want the permanency/color change of henna.

~maborosi~

lole18
January 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Cassia is kind of like henna, but the effects aren't as strong and it doesn't typically change the hair's color much (It might if you have very light hair, though, or it could give it more of a warm glow). It's a good alternative if you want to do an herbal treatment, but don't want the permanency/color change of henna.

~maborosi~
I read it the thread that it should be applied a couple of times a months for 1-2 hours.. will make my hair less or more curly? i've been looking for things to make it more curly and if it wont atleast i dont want it to make it straighter! also how many inches of circumference should i expect to gain after a weelky treatment of 2 hours for a month? 0.25? less? more? :)

maborosi
January 24th, 2013, 06:15 PM
That totally depends on your hair. My hair's naturally straight but I use both henna and cassia and so I don't know about the effects of cassia on curlier hair. I'm also not sure how it could affect the thickness of your hair. Henna and cassia have helped me immensely. I've gained stronger hair and so I don't have to trim nearly as much as before.

Check out the Cassia thread here for more information (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406)

When you used henna, what sort of things did you experience with it that made you dislike it? Do you know if it was BAQ, etc?

Also, on the subject of shedding, did you ever actually get it to slow down or are you having as many problems as you were years ago?

~maborosi~

lapushka
January 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I'm already taking my iron and hypothyroid pills and checking with my doctor regularly so that isn't it. as for the oil how much should i use? no it is not the reason why my hair fell because i just started using it! i tried henna and it didn't work for me :( what's cassia and how should i use it? :)

I'd go see a doctor and ask to make sure your pills are effective (enough). This to me says a lot, the fact that you're on some kind of thyroid medication.

I read it the thread that it should be applied a couple of times a months for 1-2 hours.. will make my hair less or more curly? i've been looking for things to make it more curly and if it wont atleast i dont want it to make it straighter! also how many inches of circumference should i expect to gain after a weelky treatment of 2 hours for a month? 0.25? less? more? :)

You can't expect to gain that much from henna or cassia. The differences are quite minimal.

starlamelissa
January 24th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Oh geez, I don't know where my brain is, but there is a forum member who went thru a major hair loss related to breast feeding and having a pituitary tumor... Anyways if someone can remember her name, she has a blog with photos of her regrowing process. It's a slow thing, you won't have a ponytail difference for quite a while, just a bunch of untamed baby hairs that slowly become an overall thickness.

spidermom
January 24th, 2013, 08:32 PM
I just use a scrape of coconut oil that would maybe cover the back of one fingernail.

lole18
January 25th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Oh geez, I don't know where my brain is, but there is a forum member who went thru a major hair loss related to breast feeding and having a pituitary tumor... Anyways if someone can remember her name, she has a blog with photos of her regrowing process. It's a slow thing, you won't have a ponytail difference for quite a while, just a bunch of untamed baby hairs that slowly become an overall thickness.

that would be really helpful i hope u remember her name :)

Agnieszka
January 25th, 2013, 03:28 AM
I would be careful with henna, it's not for everyone. I'm trying to grow it out now as I'm not too sure about a colour it gave me. I used it to make my hair thicker, but tbh the difference was so little... Also I had major shed following few weeks after using it (it was proper organic henna body quality).

I would think your shedding has something to do with thyroid or diet.

lole18
January 25th, 2013, 05:31 AM
If so how long would it take for me to get it back? :)

woolyleprechaun
January 25th, 2013, 05:54 AM
If I had the answer, I would be a very rich and popular woman...... Do you know what caused you shed? I think a lot depends on that.

LadyLongLocks
January 25th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Stay away from sls ( sodium lauryl sulfate) shampoo, especially after shedding a lot.
Hard to say how long it will take to get back. Do you know the reason for the big shed?
Just be patient and eat a good diet and avoid stress. Keep a simple healthy hair routine.
I hope your thickness returns!

Naiadryade
January 25th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Maybe castor oil? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265 Though I don't know whether it would help in your specific situation. As others asked, do you know why the shedding happened?

As for the time, I would think that once you start growing hairs to replace those you lost, it will take as long as it takes for those new hairs to grow long enough to fit in a ponytail, for them to count towards your ponytail circumference. Which will depend on how fast your hair grows and how big your head is!

LadyLongLocks
January 25th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Dont always depend on products you put in your hair. Work from the inside out. Eat a healthy diet, exercise( to increase blood circulation to the scalp) and avoid stress.

silverthread
January 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Two things in addition to the words of wisdom already given: MSM, and let your layers grow out.

lole18
January 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
If I had the answer, I would be a very rich and popular woman...... Do you know what caused you shed? I think a lot depends on that.

Stay away from sls ( sodium lauryl sulfate) shampoo, especially after shedding a lot.
Hard to say how long it will take to get back. Do you know the reason for the big shed?
Just be patient and eat a good diet and avoid stress. Keep a simple healthy hair routine.
I hope your thickness returns!

Maybe castor oil? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265 Though I don't know whether it would help in your specific situation. As others asked, do you know why the shedding happened?

As for the time, I would think that once you start growing hairs to replace those you lost, it will take as long as it takes for those new hairs to grow long enough to fit in a ponytail, for them to count towards your ponytail circumference. Which will depend on how fast your hair grows and how big your head is!

Two things in addition to the words of wisdom already given: MSM, and let your layers grow out.

The shedding started when i got my period and hypothyroid and anemia but i'm taking my hypothyroid medecine so the doctor said it shouldn't still be shedding because the dosage is corrected with my pills and i use sls free shampoo what else should i add? aloe vera or cassia or castor oil? and i havent tried msm i tried biotin but it didnt do anything also the omega pills didnt do anything and i dont have lars my hair is sl one cut :)

woolyleprechaun
January 25th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I'd go with the castor oil then. I mix it with another thinner oil or with coconut oil (and keep it in the fridge- very soothing) and massage my scalp with it. I then leave it on for around 8 hours, reapplying if its on in the day, and then CO it out. Realy does fill in the thinner bits IMO. It will take some time to see results, and even longer to see a difference in pony circumference (you will be looking at at least a year...sorry!)

lole18
January 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
I'd go with the castor oil then. I mix it with another thinner oil or with coconut oil (and keep it in the fridge- very soothing) and massage my scalp with it. I then leave it on for around 8 hours, reapplying if its on in the day, and then CO it out. Realy does fill in the thinner bits IMO. It will take some time to see results, and even longer to see a difference in pony circumference (you will be looking at at least a year...sorry!)

i dont mind that it will take a year but would it go back to the thickness it was before? now it's 0.9-1 :( and how often should i use castor oil? is twice a week enough? i heard that JBCO is better than reggular castor oil what do you think?

woolyleprechaun
January 25th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Oh, I dont realy know. I use castor oil from my local Asian grocers and it seems to do the trick. I do it every time I wash, which is anything between once a week and every four days. I will try JBCO at some point, but at the moment I am seeing results from my £2 stuff ;)
There is no way of telling what your thickness will do, sadly. Providing the cause of the shed is being adressed, your overall health is good and your haircare is careful, I see no reason why you couldn't get back to where you were. But then again, its a difficult one. I lost a great deal to postnatal shed, and its still not back to normal! All I can say is that scalp oiling certainly helped me.