PDA

View Full Version : anyone see this article about long hair in hollywood?

Micayla47
January 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/best-long-hairstyles-time-slideshow/blake-lively-photo-2565317-230100662.html
lovely women, lovely hair, but i wouldn't consider most of these people as "long-haired" (with the exception of Cher and Stevie Nicks). also, i think a few of them are sporting extensions.

AnqeIicDemise
January 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/best-long-hairstyles-time-slideshow/blake-lively-photo-2565317-230100662.html
lovely women, lovely hair, but i wouldn't consider most of these people as "long-haired" (with the exception of Cher and Stevie Nicks). also, i think a few of them are sporting extensions.

I can guarantee a lot of them are wearing extensions. Its a Hollywood standard these days. Kind of sad, but understandable considering all the heat styling these ladies go through.

Amygirl8
January 22nd, 2013, 05:54 PM
"elbow length" "waist length" locks.
I say to myself trying to place the image of APL hair with the words.
Does not compute.

A lot of girls really loved Miley Cyrus' hip length hair (albeit extensions) so I'm surprised she didn't make the list lol.

AnqeIicDemise
January 22nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
"elbow length" "waist length" locks.
I say to myself trying to place the image of APL hair with the words.
Does not compute.

A lot of girls really loved Miley Cyrus' hip length hair (albeit extensions) so I'm surprised she didn't make the list lol.

hehehe I know! I was looking at the Mariah Carey picture going 'um.. Her waist starts in the middle of her back?'

Amapola
January 22nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
Not sure about this but... don't actresses often have to wear wigs for certain parts in films? Maybe having long hair (the way an LHCer would consider the hair long) would not work under a wig. But on the other hand I know Weird Al, who has gorgeous curly hair, wears wigs, so maybe they could, I don't know.

Kat
January 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM
I think we had a thread a while ago about why celebrities might wear extensions and such.

If an actor, I'd almost think you'd have to; I doubt you can play every role with long hair so they might spend a lot of time cutting to whatever role they're playing? And while my hair, in Heidi braids, is pretty flat to my head, I'm not sure if it's flat enough to hide under a wig or not...

In2wishin
January 22nd, 2013, 07:42 PM
I think we had a thread a while ago about why celebrities might wear extensions and such.

If an actor, I'd almost think you'd have to; I doubt you can play every role with long hair so they might spend a lot of time cutting to whatever role they're playing? And while my hair, in Heidi braids, is pretty flat to my head, I'm not sure if it's flat enough to hide under a wig or not...

I remember the TV miniseries War and Remembrance where Jane Seymour played a Jewish Holocaust victim. In the post-camp scenes her character's hair had to be really short (or shaved head, I don't remember exactly) and she wore a skullcap/super short wig. They had to get all of her long, thick hair under it so her head looked really odd, like she had a deformed skull.

chen bao jun
January 22nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
It's Hollywood!
It's not supposed to be about real.
And people are crazy nowadays. I saw an article this month with Jennifer Hudson wearing a truly obvious hairweave, and as part of her interview she explained how she took care of her 'hair'. She's a lovely lady, but....
(i almost died laughing)
Also, although some of the ladies have what looks like short hair to people in LHC, it was truly long for the time they were famous in. Veronica Lake, for instance, became a Hollywood star after people had been doing flapper haircuts right next to their heads for the previous twenty years. So yes, her bra strap hair looked VERY long in comparison. Ditto with Brigitte Bardotte. The fifties were all about cropped hair, though there were some high ponytails seen during that time.
Everything is fake nowadays--I wonder if 'natural' will ever come back. It's sad when natural beauty is derided because more money can be made making people chase after ideals that are impossible without caked on makeup, plastic surgery, fake hair, fake body parts...It all reminds me of the Hans Christian Andersen nightingale story...

JCM
January 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM
http://www.theshowpen.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/ben2.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Technology/gty_beyonce_inauguration_jef_130121_wblog.jpg

Sharysa
January 22nd, 2013, 10:37 PM
Seconding the fact that some of them DID have exceptionally long hair for the period they were famous in.

Yeah, it's really unrealistic that an actor would always get roles that suit their appearance, but I was a cosplayer for a few years and it turns out that you CAN get waist-length or longer hair into a wig without too much problem. However, there is usually a LOT of crunch time for actors, so cutting your hair is usually the easiest alternative for most of them.

Bald caps are another problem entirely, as someone else mentioned already. :P

AnqeIicDemise
January 22nd, 2013, 11:01 PM
Seconding the fact that some of them DID have exceptionally long hair for the period they were famous in.

Yeah, it's really unrealistic that an actor would always get roles that suit their appearance, but I was a cosplayer for a few years and it turns out that you CAN get waist-length or longer hair into a wig without too much problem. However, there is usually a LOT of crunch time for actors, so cutting your hair is usually the easiest alternative for most of them.

Bald caps are another problem entirely, as someone else mentioned already. :P

I can testify on this.. while I got away with wearing wigs when I did do theater it was chiefly because my hair was so short. The longer haired ladies would use their hair -- or if they asked kindly enough and persisted, got wigs. But this was not always the case. Depending on the production and the company it was cheaper to have the actor cut, dye or grow their own hair out for that particular role. And Theater is more forgiving than film. Most film cases unless you're a big enough start to throw your weight around and have a clause in your contract preventing a director from say, chopping your hair off or making you go form blonde to brunette to redhead or any other combination, your looks are at the mercy of said director. You want the part? Gain fifty pounds-- loose 75 lbs, bleach your hair, undercut it, etc. I think the only thing directors are not allowed to ask is that you permanently alter your appearance.

But even then, some of the more dedicated actors are more than willing to get a piercing or tattoo -- especially now a days-- for a given role.

ETA: yeah, and bald caps are a freakin' nightmare. Most directors try to avoid the usage of prosthetics unless they have to just because it can take *so long* to put the stuff on and take it off. Time is money after all. Most production companies would rather not let thousands of bucks go to fairy dust when their lead has to spend 4+ hours putting on make up.

Though sometimes, they rather do that if they want that which cg cannot produce.

MaryO
January 22nd, 2013, 11:39 PM
Mmmm, not all that impressively long, hey? And some of that hair is in atrocious condition! :eek:

MaryMarx
January 23rd, 2013, 02:43 AM
Lots of beautiful hair!
But yes, about the length descriptions... APL is "impossibly long". ;)

spidermom
January 23rd, 2013, 06:34 AM
I know - the descriptions; "mile long" for barely BSL?

Long_hair_bear
January 23rd, 2013, 07:35 AM
http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/best-long-hairstyles-time-slideshow/julia-roberts-photo-2565307-230100597.html

Then theres this similar article about famous hair over time. :)

Bagginslover
January 23rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Wigs over long hair is very possible. I cosplay Jacob Black from the Twilight series, and I have iii waist length hair. I am able to wear a wig with hair less than an inch long, and it looks like its my own. My old hairdresser even stopped me in the street once while I was wearing it one day and lamented over the loss of my hair! If I can put my hair up in a cheap symthetic wig at my length, Hollywood can do it with their expensive wigs and shorter hair!

rock007junkie
January 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
I found it a bit ridiculous since the length wasn't even that much (at least by LHC standards) and the fact that the had Beyonce there was just laughable. It's a well known fact that she wears a weave...a fantabulous one, but a weave nonetheless.

Sharysa
January 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
your looks are at the mercy of said director. You want the part? Gain fifty pounds-- loose 75 lbs, bleach your hair, undercut it, etc.

Totally forgot to mention that, since my own theater prof has drilled it into my head. He's mentioned that since he lost his hair (he's in his fifties now), his roles changed from "nice guy" roles to Big Scary Villain roles. I barely recognized one of his headshots from when he was in his twenties. :P

A lot of people don't realize that only actors with enough money, acting skills, or fame can decide not to follow the director's orders for a role, because if you DON'T, you're most likely out of a job. Most of them do what s/he tells them because 1) they really want the role, or 2) they really want the money.

ghost
January 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
Sure, their hair is mostly APL or BSL (what I usually consider medium length), and a lot of people make a fuss over "long haired" celebrities who are wearing wigs or extensions...but I don't think there's anything wrong with wigs or extensions. After all, a lot of us freak out over the hairstyles in Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit, Cate Blanchett in Robin Hood, etc...and most, if not all, of those long haired characters are in extensions and wigs.
I wish Cate Blanchett were able to grow her hair out to LOTR-length, though, she wears it so beautifully.

Chromis
January 23rd, 2013, 03:41 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/images/Technology/gty_beyonce_inauguration_jef_130121_wblog.jpg

Not funny and not KNIT.

For those wondering what this is about: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sarah-jessica-parker-looks-like-a-horse

Angelica
January 23rd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Julia Roberts used to have fabulous hair so did Jane Seymour. Neither have particularly nice hair any more, perhaps they were both wearing extensions or something. I remember admiring Nicole Kidman's hair as well, but then all the curls went. Lauren Bacall is beautiful and always looks great in her photographs. I remember the film Jane Seymour was in, she was lucky. Nowadays stars are shaving their heads, just look at Anne Hathaway for her film role.

JCM
January 23rd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Not funny and not KNIT.

For those wondering what this is about: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sarah-jessica-parker-looks-like-a-horse

I am not a fan of females with full heads of fake hair. Sorry.

jacqueline101
January 23rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
I have to agree most people nowadays wear extensions and wigs.

MotherConfessor
January 23rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
The hair was not really "long," but that is a matter of perspective and I can let it go. There were some extensions, but hey, if it works for you, who am I to say what people can wear on their heads. What really surprised me was the idea that these were the "best of all time" or some such. Frankly, some of them were pretty blah. Shannon Doherty's half up is frizzy and that Blake Lively braid is nothing special. Both have nice hair, but the best?

gibsongirl71
January 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM

Hahaha! Though I think Ms. Beyonce has enough cash to buy only the finest human hair, so that poor horse is safe...for now...

RileyJane
January 23rd, 2013, 09:04 PM
i did and i thought they missed a few people. and i completely agree that some of them didnt exactly have long long hair, when i think of long hair i think of my moms hippie classic length hair with flowers in her hair. it should of been called women with influential hair or something :P

AnqeIicDemise
January 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Totally forgot to mention that, since my own theater prof has drilled it into my head. He's mentioned that since he lost his hair (he's in his fifties now), his roles changed from "nice guy" roles to Big Scary Villain roles. I barely recognized one of his headshots from when he was in his twenties. :P

A lot of people don't realize that only actors with enough money, acting skills, or fame can decide not to follow the director's orders for a role, because if you DON'T, you're most likely out of a job. Most of them do what s/he tells them because 1) they really want the role, or 2) they really want the money.

Yup. I'd never be the leading lady because a) too tall b) too fat c) too big breasted. (le gasp) I was always supporting roles, though. After a while I found myself type casted as the fat funny friend, the stern grandmother or the over religious matron. Mostly because I do have a body type that lends itself super easy for older ladies...After a while I got frustrated.

Sharysa
January 23rd, 2013, 10:08 PM
People tend to think I look thirteen, with me being tiny and Asian. On the plus side, I can play young roles for about twenty years. On the minus side, I'll probably be playing young roles for about twenty years. :p

I also foresee a looooot of "Asian" roles, since people constantly mistake me for Chinese or Japanese.

Micayla47
January 23rd, 2013, 10:29 PM
I am not a fan of females with full heads of fake hair. Sorry.

it may not be KNIT, but it's definitely funny

spirals
January 24th, 2013, 03:04 AM
"Except for Cher, these hairstyles aren't excessively long. The phrases 'impossibly long' and 'miles long' seen attributed here are not fitting. I just suppose it's pointless for most celebrities to actually grow out their hair very long if they can just get new extensions every week." 'Fess up. Who posted this? :D

MonaMayfair
January 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM
My hair's past waist length, and I can easily get it under a wig for work (I'm an actress) or just because I like wearing wigs for the fun of it, which I do a lot.
I just put it in 2 braids, under a wig cap.
Anyway, to me, anything from BSL is "long" and I don't care in the least whether it's real or not, if it looks good, that's all that matters.
Has anyone seen the (fake) hair in Maison Close? (French TV show about a brothel set in 1871) Gorgeous!

LadyKate
January 24th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Can someone explain to me what KNIT is? Besides something you do with yarn.

Chromis
January 24th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Can someone explain to me what KNIT is? Besides something you do with yarn.

It is defined in one of the stickied threads: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=12&a=8 :flower: