PDA

View Full Version : paddle brush or round brush?

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM
which do you prefer to use? and find is better for your hair type?

Shanarana
August 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I personally don't use a brush at all except for perhaps once in a great while. I always use a comb.

Kirin
August 25th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I use a rectangular boars bristle brush. A round brush would totally get wadded up in my hair at this length.

AJoifulNoise
August 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I use a paddle brush. I remember getting the round one stuck in my hair years ago. shudder:

nessthing
August 25th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Paddle brushing is like a guilty pleasure of mine. Good thing I don't own one; just like Shanarana I only comb. I can never seem to get a round brush through all my hair, plus I'm terrified to get it stuck.

Bene
August 25th, 2008, 11:35 PM
turned away from brushes altogether. combs are my new friends, and they make a world of difference.

edit:

i've found a brush i can use. the body shop quill brush (http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bodyshop/browse/product_detail.jsp?categoryId=cat30050&productId=prod160019). of course only on dry hair. i trade off on this one and the body shop's wooden detangling comb ("http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bodyshop/browse/product_detail.jsp?categoryId=cat30050&productId=prod6270013).

ChatoyantLocks
August 25th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I remember getting the round one stuck in my hair years ago. shudder:

Me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has happened to! I think I was in second grade and had fairly fine hair at the time. I've never gone near that type of brush since!

teela1978
August 26th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Round brushes are evil. I've tried them twice and both times they got stuck in my hair and wouldn't come out for over an hour. Avoid the round brushes!

I usually use a comb these days, but I do have a paddle brush around somewhere that I break out on occasion.

HalcyonDays
August 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I remember the first time I used a round brush - I thought you were supposed to wind the hair around the brush...
Needless to say that ended in disaster.

But up until very recently, a round brush was the only brush I used. But now I'm trying with combs instead.

AnneAdeline
August 26th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I comb my hair mostly, but own both paddle and round BBBs. I've been using the round brush, but now that I found the paddle one, I may try that.

Never got a round brush caught in my hair, though I did tangle with a comb once... :doh:

JessieJo
August 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
I haven't quite gotten rid of the brush just yet. I love the way a paddle brush feels on my scalp.

heidihug
August 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
I use a brush, but not a paddle or round brush - vented only for me. It's either that or finger-combing.

winter_star
August 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Paddle brushes. I'm scared of round brushes too... horrible thoughts are flooding back...

florenonite
August 31st, 2008, 08:32 AM
I use a brush, but not a paddle or round brush - vented only for me. It's either that or finger-combing.

What's a vented brush? Also, I, too, have gotten a round brush stuck in my hair. I was trying to curl my pin-straight hair at the age of twelve or so.

I'm contemplating getting a paddle brush (I do need a new comb, for certain) because of the way it makes my hair feel, and so I've been here looking at threads to see if they're safe or not.

Shelacious
August 31st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I only use a brush to detangle my hair, but I did use a paddle brush yesterday and fell in love again with using a brush to detangle, so I'll go with paddle brush. I don't see how I can use a round brush with my hair type anyway.

thankyousir74
August 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Me too! I'm glad I'm not the only one that has happened to! I think I was in second grade and had fairly fine hair at the time. I've never gone near that type of brush since!

OH MAN! Same here I think I was in like second or third grade, I wanted to brush my hair the way my mom did and it got stuck. I had really long hair at this point and I remember I started crying because I kept thinking I would have to cut all of it off, I was hysterical. I was desperately trying everything to get it out (including soaking my hair with water! yikes!). Eventually my mom came upstairs to get something and she found me like this. she told me to calm down and she got it out in like two seconds (WTH!). Yeah that's my unforgettable experience with round brushes

and yeah I used to use paddle/BBB but now i've been trying to get myself used to finger combing.

itsMEowKat
August 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Since becoming an LHC regular I only use a paddle BBB when oiling. I've never managed to use a round brush without it getting tangled in my hair. :rolleyes:

~Kat
=^..^=

berr
August 31st, 2008, 05:33 PM
I use a tourmaline paddle brush or a wide tooth comb.

jojo
September 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
I use a paddle brush. I remember getting the round one stuck in my hair years ago. shudder:

I did this too, you get that sweaty top lip panic! never used them again.

I use a wooden comb mostly, I also have a comb with wooden thingys in it but rarely use it these days!

Marcipangris
September 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
I use a paddle brush now, but I found a round brush useful for styling a blow-out with a blow dryer.

JessTheMess
September 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
round brushes make me :shudder:

Gumball
September 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Paddle brush or round brush? I'm going with secret option C) Comb! I've learned brushes aren't good for me and also have realized they contributed to a lot of inches of damage that I'm still slowly growing out. Combs have really changed the overall mood and condition of my hair so I'm going to stick with them for the duration.

ssjhotau2
September 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I use a comb. Even it a fine tooth comb slides through my hair without a snag, a brush tangles and breaks my hair.

rubyredslippers
September 5th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I use a very soft plastic bristle Goody paddle brush. It works well for me, gets through my hair without hearing crackles of breakage like other brushes. I've never had good luck with round brushes--they always seem to get stuck in my hair.

amiaow
September 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I have a paddle brush and find it excellent- but at this length it doesn't appear to really matter what I brush with! :)

I have noticed though that none of my brushes have the bobbly bits on the ends, they are all rounded.

Forlorn Reverie
September 5th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I use both, a paddle brush for most of my hair, and a large round brush for my bangs. I have to blow the bangs straight, or they look awful. I use a large round brush because it keeps most of the blow dryer heat from the rest of my hair.

sibylla
September 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I love round BBBs!!!Combing doesn´t give me as much volume as brushing. My hair is like a horses tail and doesn´t get damaged from brushing.

coolbreeze212
September 7th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Neither. I gave up brushes several months ago, and my hair is much happier for it. (But, I also have many inches left of a perm growing out.)

Now I only use my wooden combs, or my fingers.

Gray
September 9th, 2008, 04:04 PM
A round brush is fine for me at this length, so I use one fairly often. When it's longer I stick to a rectangular BBB, so it doesn't get stuck.

I've never been able to completely do without brushes altogether - but I usually detangle with a comb, and smooth/fluff with a BBB.

Patrycja
September 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Finger comb when wet and super DUPER wide-toothed comb when dried.Better yet-I try to finger comb all the time but sometimes,I get lazy and I reach for the comb.It's faster to detangle that way for me...

ladystar
September 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I like the paddle brush!

Curlsgirl
September 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I don't understand why the SHAPE of the brush makes any difference. It's the bristle and spacing that makes the difference for me. I have had round brushes that stuck but only when trying to blow/straighten. With just regular brushing why would it be any different than a flat brush with the same kind of bristles?

Nyghtingale
September 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I am trying to transition to combs, but I have to admit that I love having my hair brushed.

dreamhair
December 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I have 2 brushes, both are paddle brushes.

spidermom
December 11th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I once got a round brush stuck in my hair too. I see that I'm in good company.

My new brush is a soft-bristled paddle brush with a very flexible base, so it couldn't rip through a tangle no matter how determined I might be to destroy my hair. I love it. I use my hardwood comb more often, though.

embee
December 11th, 2008, 11:23 AM
It depends what you want to do. If you're looking for a good reason to chop, a round brush will give it to you, that'll be the only way to remove it from long hair. :(

SaraTaylor16
December 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Definitely a paddle brush... only... I'm trying not to brush my hair anymore unless it's in the shower drenched in conditioner. ---It's more gentle on the hair. :)

morguebabe
December 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Round brushes scare me.
I normally just comb. Sometimes I BBB, I do like to paddle but I don't own one.

Deborah
December 11th, 2008, 04:23 PM
A round brush used on long hair is, in my opinion, an instrument of torture. So, the paddle brush wins hands down.

Debra83
December 11th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Neither - although I do own them...I've hidden them away. For a long time now - even pre-LHC - I've used a wide tooth comb or fingers. Much better for your hair.

Jessikinz
December 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Paddle brushes are actually very nice on my hair...although I use my comb 95% of the time. The only time I will use my bristle paddle brush is to smooth the top of my head. For example, if I'm bunning my hair, I want the top of my hair to be nice and smooth. Combs don't do that for me. I don't brush the length when I do this though. Just enough to make my updo sleek and tidy.

Ryanne
December 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Neither, but I managed to get the round brush stuck in me hair too, twice! So the paddle brush wins.

NebraskaChick84
December 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
this exactly

lyria
December 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Goody Jojoba Oil Infused brush (super soft "bristles" mean it couldn't break hair it I wanted it to!) :inlove:

morguebabe
December 12th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Goody Jojoba Oil Infused brush (super soft "bristles" mean it couldn't break hair it I wanted it to!) :inlove:

I've gotta find this thing.

Shadow
December 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Paddle brush for sure!

Arctic
December 15th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Paddle brush :) I actually bought one few days ago, my first one! I like it but plan not to use it often and detangle before using it.

GibsonGirlV
December 16th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I use a round brush for my bangs only when I'm blowdrying them (I ONLY blowdry my bangs. Nothing else. I have a cowlick so it's necessary to keep it from showing).

I have goody's ouchless large paddle brush (they're pastel coloured) that I like a lot and also Sonia Kashuk's brush from Target (it's supposed to be similar to the infamous Mason Pearson brush). I cannot say how much I love it. It makes my hair incredibly smooth and silky. The scalp massage it gives also feels like heaven. It is the brush of dreams and only $15 compared to $100+

zen_oven
December 16th, 2008, 08:01 PM
I use a rectangular BBB, though I try to minimize the amount of brushing I do. I've never owned a round brush--always figured they were more for styling/blowfrying, and I never do that. Even if the damage from heat styling weren't a problem, I'm WAY too lazy. :D

Haith
December 22nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I don't brush, but if I did I would never allow a round brush anywhere near me lest it get stuck. Paddle brush all the way!

RocketDog
December 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
round brush = instant doom for my curly, tangle-prone fine hair

Sissy
December 25th, 2008, 12:08 PM
paddle brush, hands down! Once out of the shower I detangle with a comb. I would never brush through my hair before using a comb.

Dreamernz
December 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I've got a round boar-bristle brush, the trick is to use it like a normal brush and, unless you're doing the fringe, not to wrap the hair around it as you brush, I would guess thought that it wouldn't be particularly useful in thick hair and may get stuck

iriska
December 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
to detangle after the shower i use a round brush (plastic one... the not hair-friendly cheap ones, don't yell on me ! but i'm very careful), if i want to brush my hair when it's dry i use a round brush because it's boar bristle (but i don't turn it around the way you use a round brush if you want to do a brushing...i just use it as i would a flat brush).
i should invest in a large tooth comb...

sissadawn
January 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
I use a paddle brush most of the time, I know it's not great for my hair but i'm fond of it. The round brushes scare me a bit I've had them stuck in my hair before and my sister came close to losing a chunk of hair because she got one so stuck:poot: I did buy a boar bristle brush a few days ago to give it a try, I like it so far but it gives me a lot of static.

-Lisa-
February 27th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I use paddle brushes with natural bristles. Somtimes I also use a wood comb.

JamieLeigh
February 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
My BBB is paddle-shaped. Other than that, I just use a wide-tooth wooden comb. :)

Monkey962
February 28th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I use a very soft plastic bristle Goody paddle brush. It works well for me, gets through my hair without hearing crackles of breakage like other brushes. I've never had good luck with round brushes--they always seem to get stuck in my hair.

I wonder if you're using a similar one to mine? Mine's Goody as well, and it's one of those fancy +$10 jobs with jojoba oil infusion. I actually used shampoo to wash their jojoba oil out. I use my own. :)