PDA

View Full Version : Getting hairfall from catnip rinses :/

goldloli
January 22nd, 2013, 07:34 AM
Some of you may know I was a catnip devotee, it gave kerastase like shine and definitely cut down on splits. I guess I either have to give it up or change routine. I've noticed hairfall from the very first use, but blamed it on the oil scalp massage I did that day. My hair was still coming out everytime I used it. A little worried I stopped using it and came to try it out again last week, bamm hairs coming out in my hands while bathing. I might use it on the bottom half of a ponytail or braid.

I've hear some of you guys use it as a leave in after conditioner? How do you go about this without it giving weird texture from mixing with the waxes in conditioner? A leave in spray would be more convenient but the one time I used it like that, gave tangles.

Salmonberry
January 22nd, 2013, 09:55 AM
What time of year did you start doing these rinses? I always shed a lot of hair in November/December. It's finally slowing down now. Maybe the shed is unrelated to the catnip and it's just a coincidence. Perhaps agitating your hair a lot more with the rinses caused more hair that was already destined to come out to fall out while you rinsed.

You could also just get it on the ends and avoid letting it touch your roots. If there is any correlation between the catnip rinses and your shedding then it would have to be related to it touching your scalp.

goldloli
January 23rd, 2013, 09:22 AM
no it's definitely the catnip, im not one to jump and blame things without giving them a fair trial. i used it in summer for a few months when i first joined, stopped due to suspicion it was the cause. again a few times in the fall, stopping due to hairfall and my last try was now in winter. my shedding was around 3 times my normal amount with every use. i don't get shedding from normal conditioner on scalp but i have noticed straight oils or select conditioners can cause hairfall for me. perhaps its the natural oils in catnip causing it?

obviously it wont be a problem if i continue use just on lengths on ends, i was hoping someone would chime in about using it as a leave in. its really good stuff despite the problems i've experienced and def wont discontinue using it.

oh and its not the action of rinsing as i use cold water rinses, other herbal and sometimes acv without an issue.

spirals
January 23rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Hmm, maybe you're allergic to it or something. I'm able to use catnip tea as a rinse after every wash and my fall is minimal. I don't leave it in, though. I rinse it out and then condition.

goldloli
January 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
My scalp seems not irritated at all :confused: idk what being allergic would entail since ive never been allergic to a hair product before, i presume there would be rashes or something, no?

I use it between shampoo and conditioner too, only leaving it on for 10 mins while i shave legs.

Madora just sent me a link so i can ask ktani for advice. I've been thinking after seeing someones homemade thickener made from gelatine in another thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109944&page=2&p=2373901&viewfull=1#post2373901 Maybe I could make a hair gel from catnip tea and gelatin instead of water? that way i could have benefits of both and control application so i know for sure its not being applied near my scalp. that would be so cool, like a volumising split end protector made from 100% natural ingredients. add some lemon oil for shine... gosh this sounds like a wonderful idea, especially since im on a product no buy. oo i have some collagen and glycerin mix i could add too!

MotherConfessor
January 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Hmmm, that hair gel thing sounds downright interesting. Keep us posted on it!