PDA

View Full Version : how to tame fly aways without tugging hair back or using harmful products?

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 05:44 PM
I usually have to wear a bandanna which tugs my hair really bad and causes breakage and fallout or use hairspray which damages my hair.. do you know any other ways to tame it?

Natalia
January 21st, 2013, 05:58 PM
Aloe gel works well for me when it starts to wear off you just dampen your hands and smooth it down again the moisture makes it sticky again to grab the fuzzy's

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM
Aloe gel works well for me when it starts to wear off you just dampen your hands and smooth it down again the moisture makes it sticky again to grab the fuzzy's

What aloe vera brand do you reccommend? I tried to get the natural thing but i ended up with the green leaves i couldn't get them all out!

Natalia
January 21st, 2013, 06:21 PM
What aloe vera brand do you reccommend? I tried to get the natural thing but i ended up with the green leaves i couldn't get them all out!

I dont know if you have them where ever you are but i buy trader joes brand if you dont have them maybe fruit of the earth which you can find at drug stores and wal-mart type places. If your outside the US you will have to ask someone else i dont know what brands you might have.

Seeshami
January 21st, 2013, 06:23 PM
A light oil some times works as well but for a good hold Aloe is best.

lapushka
January 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
If you want to use a gel, try looking for alcohol-free, and/or silicone-free ones. Also a serum or a few drops of mineral oil might be nice for frizzies.

spidermom
January 21st, 2013, 07:21 PM
If I really need hold, I use a pomade, styling wax, or styling putty. A little goes a long-long way, and as far as I know, it isn't harmful.

Madora
January 21st, 2013, 07:30 PM
A few small drops of mineral oil on dampened hair helps tame those frizzies.

boudica
January 21st, 2013, 08:05 PM
Use styles with twists in them...

torrilin
January 22nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
This is kind of hair type dependent. While Spidermom (2c/f/m/iii), Lapushka (2a/f/iii) and I (1c/f/ii) all have somewhat similar hair types, you'll note we don't do exactly the same stuff to deal with flyaways. If I go full on curly girl with conditioner, curl creme, alcohol and cone free gel and scrunching to try and convince my hair to pretend it's a 2a, by the end of the day I'll have hair that looks flat ironed and basically refuses to do anything but hang in a photoshoot perfect sort of sheet. If they did the same exact thing, there'd be no flat ironed look, tho the curls would hold up fairly well. So natural curl level definitely plays a part.

Texture also plays a part. Posters with coarser hair than mine often find that they use different products from those of us with finer hair.

The look you're going for also matters. For day to day wear, I usually don't bother with using anything beyond my updo. While it won't be perfect flyaway containment, it'll keep things under control enough to suit me. If I had my sister in law's 3a hair and I wanted a super sleek look, I'd need to do more, probably a *lot* more to get the same look that I get naturally.

jacqueline101
January 22nd, 2013, 12:45 PM
I use home made hair spray. Its water and sugar mixed in a spray bottle.

lapushka
January 22nd, 2013, 01:05 PM
torrilin is absolutely right. It would help if you told us what hairtype you have! :)

lole18
January 22nd, 2013, 02:10 PM
This is kind of hair type dependent. While Spidermom (2c/f/m/iii), Lapushka (2a/f/iii) and I (1c/f/ii) all have somewhat similar hair types, you'll note we don't do exactly the same stuff to deal with flyaways. If I go full on curly girl with conditioner, curl creme, alcohol and cone free gel and scrunching to try and convince my hair to pretend it's a 2a, by the end of the day I'll have hair that looks flat ironed and basically refuses to do anything but hang in a photoshoot perfect sort of sheet. If they did the same exact thing, there'd be no flat ironed look, tho the curls would hold up fairly well. So natural curl level definitely plays a part.

Texture also plays a part. Posters with coarser hair than mine often find that they use different products from those of us with finer hair.

The look you're going for also matters. For day to day wear, I usually don't bother with using anything beyond my updo. While it won't be perfect flyaway containment, it'll keep things under control enough to suit me. If I had my sister in law's 3a hair and I wanted a super sleek look, I'd need to do more, probably a *lot* more to get the same look that I get naturally.

torrilin is absolutely right. It would help if you told us what hairtype you have! :)

I have very thin fine frizzy i 2b curls

AngryVikingGirl
January 22nd, 2013, 03:26 PM
This might not be any help for you, but my latest observation is that if I dilute the shampoo, my hair doesn't have flyaways.

cmg
January 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Some products have better anti-static properties in their mixtures.

Aloe vera-gel also works for me, but only for five seconds ;) Shea-butter is the next step, because hairpomades and waxes make it lie flat. BTW the cheapest and best aloe vera gel I found was a foot gel. Really good one with no unneccessary ingredients! I use it in my SMT as well. And a regular SMT helps against flyways also.

/ CMG

Angela_Rose
January 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Another vote for aloe very gel. I stock up during sunburn season.

I have also had luck with a tiny bit of coconut oil.

chen bao jun
January 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM
I use this too. You can get it in health food stores.