PDA

View Full Version : Should I shouldn't I?

Green Eyes
January 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hey peeps ill bit of a dilemma

im trying to grow out my box dye hair ( currently passed the year mark in December wool goo me) but I've noticed that the end of my hair don't like but I feel that they are damaged beyond control, a friend suggested cutting my hair to shoulder length however am currently just about hitting BSL and don't know if I can take the chop however my two tone hair is starting to bug me

What would u peeps do grit ur teeth n cut it or keep trucking on and slowly trim off the ends and the dyed colour?

Thanks

MegaMystery
January 21st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Try the two week rule first. Don't cut it off on an impulse, but wait two weeks (or more of course). In those weeks, try not to think about it too much, just put it up and forget about it. If you feel after that time that you still need to cut it, cut an inch or so and forget about it for another few weeks. If you feel like you really want to trim after that, go for another inch, and so on. Of course, if you feel after the first inch that your ends feel nicer again and don't bother you as much, don't cut another inch :). But if they do and you really want to, cut some more.

Vrindi
January 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
If the ends are unmanageable and you can see splits, I'd recommend cutting just that much off. Like, 1/2 an inch. Be very specific about exactly how much to cut off with your hairdresser, and bring a ruler if you need to! You don't have to chop it all off. Sometimes, just a tiny trim can make all the difference in how your hair feels. I'm growing out box dye too and I've gone from BSL to below waist in a year in a half, just cutting off 1/2 at the most in a single trim, and I've been cutting 1/4 every month or two, whenever the ends get wild.

Also, I just had my ends dyed to match the roots. I have to baby it a little extra now, but if the color is really bothering you, this might be an option for you. I would suggest you not try this yourself, go to a salon and have a good consultation with your stylist.

SerinaDaith
January 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
I am about a month off from my no more dye for a year anniversary as well, congratulations! I put my hair up and a lot of the time my dyed hair is now covered so nobody sees it or my ends, do some trimming slowly so you don't loose too much length then revisit it, if your ends are frayed no amount of tlc will bring them back to health but getting too scissor happy will not be great either.

coffinhert
January 21st, 2013, 03:56 PM
I'm going through the same thing, it's been about 2 years of growing mine out, and the ends aren't as nice quality, there's a definite differenc,e but the length is really important to me! I trim it regularly (a couple cm at a time, twice a year). Most important is to do conditioning treatments. Coconut oil, avocado, yogurt, things like that. Smoothing coconut oil into the ends of damp hair makes a big difference.

jessa
January 21st, 2013, 04:20 PM
I'm going through the same thing, it's been about 2 years of growing mine out, and the ends aren't as nice quality, there's a definite differenc,e but the length is really important to me! I trim it regularly (a couple cm at a time, twice a year). Most important is to do conditioning treatments. Coconut oil, avocado, yogurt, things like that. Smoothing coconut oil into the ends of damp hair makes a big difference.

I second this! this is also my exact situation. couldnt have said it better.

Green Eyes
January 21st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks guys for all ur comments I think I will try the two week rule n fingers crossed it will change my mind, I have just tried sum coconut oil on damps ends as it is wash day tomorrow hopefully it will help them just a bit to stop them bugging me

Natalia
January 21st, 2013, 06:18 PM
Im a natural honey blonde growing out brown/black box dye. It bugged me the most before it got to shoulder length since you could see it more, after that since i always have it in a bun it didnt bother me much and after about a year and a half two years it faded so much no one notices it unless i point it out even when its down. So my vote is wait especially if you wear it up more often.

Vanille_
January 21st, 2013, 06:36 PM
Eventually, it is all going to come off right? (the damaged colored part) So you can prolong it if you want, but I don't see the point. Taking a cut in length hurts, but your hair will be one color again and healthy and all growth from here on out will be healthy progress and you won't have to worry about damage again if you take care of it.

PixxieStix
January 21st, 2013, 08:17 PM
How about you trim an inch now, (or however much it takes to get the ends feeling better), grow until you reach BSL, and just cut off your growth every other month to maintain at BSL until the hair color is gone?

I guess it comes down to which you care about more, having all one hair color or having longer hair?

Natalia
January 21st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Just rememberd have you checked out the vitamin c and baking soda lightening threads? It can help accelerate the fade. Remember if you do decide to chop be prepared for how your going to wear it short hair isnt always so convienient.

hanne jensen
January 22nd, 2013, 01:23 AM
Dust, dust, dust. Take no more than 1/4 inch every month. You'll get rid of damage and still have growth. It's a shame that the articles section isn't up yet because there's a very good article written by Nightshade about growing out damaged hair.

Green Eyes
January 22nd, 2013, 01:46 AM
Just rememberd have you checked out the vitamin c and baking soda lightening threads? It can help accelerate the fade. Remember if you do decide to chop be prepared for how your going to wear it short hair isnt always so convienient.

I'm trying not to go with more lighten just in case, I feel I should wait thanks to all the lovely peeps out there I'd love to show us all a pic if I work out how to first

Hanne Jensen I remembered seeing that thread but I suppose it was lazy that I didn't find it before I posted lol

Thanks again peeps

Tota
January 22nd, 2013, 02:03 AM
Congrats on your success this far! I know how hard and frustrating it is to grow out dyed hair. I think the two week rule is a great idea. After that, you'll know what you really want - trim or chop. When I was growing out my natural hair I decided to just microtrim regularly, but I guess it was a bit easier for me because I had layers and it just looked like I'm into ombre style ;)

ghost
January 22nd, 2013, 02:52 AM
I've done this the hard way -chopping off my hair from waist to APL- and I very strongly recommend against it because it was heartbreaking. Adding my vote for the two week method, along with possibly coloring your ends to match your new growth (or as close as you can get), and then trimming and deep conditioning. Don't do what I did and lose more length than necessary :(

papera
January 22nd, 2013, 04:00 AM
Eventually, it is all going to come off right? (the damaged colored part) So you can prolong it if you want, but I don't see the point. Taking a cut in length hurts, but your hair will be one color again and healthy and all growth from here on out will be healthy progress and you won't have to worry about damage again if you take care of it.

I agree with Vanille here, I'd rather chop it off. Probably I wouldn't chop off everything, but 2-3 inches I would. It's just to get rid of the colour AND the damage, as spliss makes it way up into your healthy, uncoloured hair.
On the other side I can understand that at bsl you don't wanna loose length, but at the end you have to be happy with your hair and if spliss, colour and damage is bothering you a lot I would suggest cutting it off.

Well, the two-week-rule might help you in taking your decision :)

Green Eyes
January 22nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Lol i I feel like I should wait was speak to the other half n he thinks I should just leave it n trim ( he a ill biased become I chopped my hair to my chin before I joined lhc and he hated it lol) I've decided to keep treating it until feb then I will get my trim fingers crossed i don't cracked before then

Green Eyes
February 2nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Hey peeps thought I'd update us I have stand strong n not cut it or trimmed it either, I've slathered it in coconut oil the night before wash day n it seems to have helped a lot plus sock bun to the rescue as I've been leaving it alone lol thank again folks for all ur advice :D