PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! Can't clean hair

elanrach
January 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM
Ok, so I'm seriously ready to shave my head...or cry. I have more than 3 feet of long straight, fine blonde hair. But I now have a problem...I can't get it clean! I live in Asia, and don't speak the local language. I can't get clarifying shampoo here. I tried baking soda followed by ACV. I've tried shampoo 3 times in a row. My hair ends up drying in oily chunks. Help! I've tried olive oil, honey, conditioner mixture, in case my hair was too dry. I can't get aloe vera here, so it's the closest thing to SMT I can do. I just want squeaky clean hair. Please help.

MissAlida
January 21st, 2013, 09:42 AM
I don't really have any advice, since you pretty much said everything I wanted to suggest. But, maybe you could give us some more information regarding as to what you have used before your hair got oily...Was it like this always, or did you change your products? A heavier conditioner can make your hair very oily. This has happened to me. Also, a soap can leave buildup only after one use. Another thing that popped into my mind, is that some people use oil to cleanse their skin, since oil dissolves oil. So maybe you could try oiling it, then washing it with shampoo. I don't know. Maybe a guru will chime in. :confused:

MissAlida
January 21st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Oh, I used to get the cleanest hair with mixing BS and shampoo. But if they didn't work on their own, I'm not sure if they would work together...

Kaelee
January 21st, 2013, 09:52 AM
It might be the water there. What part of Asia are you in?

We have several Asian members here, they could probably advise you better than I could.

lapushka
January 21st, 2013, 10:12 AM
Can't you buy a known brand of shampoo through ebay or something? :)

Climber
January 21st, 2013, 10:20 AM
Seconding the suggestion that it might be the water. When I lived in Taiwan I washed my hair with water that had been boiled and filtered. Pollution was a big problem where I lived, and I washed daily.

long-hair-lover
January 21st, 2013, 10:36 AM
Get a clarifying shampoo and try to condition only the ends of your hair, I have really oily hair and used to condition my whole head but noticed it just made my hair heavy and stuck to my head so I stuck to shampooing just my scalp and conditioning only my ends so try that and maybe shampoo twice with the clarifying shampoo:)

Do let us know how things go what you try and what (if anything) works
Hope things get sorted out for you soon xx

Macaroni
January 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Here's a rather strange suggestion: Take a 1/2 inch section of hair. Shampoo with diluted dishwashing liquid. Dry the section and see how it feels.

I only suggest this because it's known to clarify hair that is overcolored.

Angelica
January 21st, 2013, 11:19 AM
Use a bit of dry powder shampoo to soak the grease or oil up. If you can't get dry shampoo just use a little of talc. Also try ebay for options.

elanrach
March 1st, 2013, 10:56 PM
Update:
HAIR IS CLEAN!!! :) I finally ended up using body wash...Olay something...that, at least, got my hair to "squeak", a little. What finally did it was aspray bottle with ACV and shampoo. Wet hair, add shampoo, then spray a little shampoo/vinegar, rinse. It worked!!!! My hair is now a little dry, but I can handle that...a little coconut oil. I'm so happy.

Lilli
March 2nd, 2013, 05:45 AM
It sounds like what my hair does if I use something with way too many cones too high up in the ingredients. A lot of Asian hair is coarse and their products may have too much cones for your fine hair. Dishwashing liquid will remove that but it will dry out your hair. I'd use diluted dishwashing liquid on the roots only until you can get something from ebay.

jacqueline101
March 2nd, 2013, 07:12 AM
I second the baking soda and maybe some shampoo.

JCFantasy23
March 7th, 2013, 01:32 AM
It sounds like what my hair does if I use something with way too many cones too high up in the ingredients. A lot of Asian hair is coarse and their products may have too much cones for your fine hair. Dishwashing liquid will remove that but it will dry out your hair. I'd use diluted dishwashing liquid on the roots only until you can get something from ebay.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I had what I felt was dirty hair for years. It was greasy by mid day, stringy sometimes with a dirty look and "piecey" Through these forums years ago I discovered the cones warning some have, and when I tried no cones this went away. Ironically I wasn't even trying it for the greasiness as I didn't know it would solve all that. For the first time in my life I never have "piecey", stringy, or dirty hair. I used to use clarifying shampoos to try and do deep clean but it never did anything good. Baking soda didn't either but make my hair feel dryer but not look better. I also discovered through experimenting I can't condition the top of my head, only can from the bottom of scalp and down, or else it will be too dull, limp, and major hair loss the next day. And I do HAVE to condition, otherwise the hair starts drying and tangling fast. I apparently have picky hair!!!

embee
March 7th, 2013, 09:25 AM
I cannot use baking soda at all, it makes my hair like straw and takes forever for that effect to wear off. However, diluted (very very) dish washing liquid is a good cleaner and diluted vinegar will rinse away any residue.

Sounds like you've found a solution and I hope it keeps working for you.

RavenBaby
March 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
If you have the problem again try fairy liquid or any washing up liquid for plates etc. It cleaned my hair 100%.

Calaelen
March 7th, 2013, 12:19 PM
I'm glad to hear you have solved your problem. I was going to suggest my favourite ever kitchen cleanser, a whole whole egg beaten with lemon juice, or ACV. I beat an egg into juice of one lemon apply to dry hair wait 20 mins then rinse with lukewarm water. Nothing makes my hair happier than this, and it gets it "squeaky" clean.

I've always omitted oil, because I have fine hair that doesn't need much to over moisturize it. I prefer to use coconut oil sparingly on my ends if they need it.