PDA

View Full Version : Hair feeling thinner in the winter?

schweedie
January 21st, 2013, 01:22 AM
Does anyone else experience this? The thing is, I seem to have lost a quarter of an inch in circumference over the past few months, but I haven't really noticed an extreme amount of shedding to explain it. I started wondering if perhaps it's the dry winter air that does it? Since humid air will make your hair bigger, is it possible that cold, dry air could cause it to become even flatter than usual, thereby making it feel thinner?

biogirl87
January 21st, 2013, 01:59 AM
Schweedie, I find my hair feels thinner in the winter due to the fact that I wear a hat most days. As I wear it down a lot, it seems to spread out on my neck and some parts of it go in front of my shoulders. I don't know if it has with winter air being drier but it's been a winter problem for me even when I lived in the northern part of the state where humidity was a bit less.

schweedie
January 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM
Thank you for the reply! It's nice to hear someone else has problems in the winter, too. I guess I'll just have to wait for another month or two and see if my hair feels different once the air gets less winter-y. If not, well, then I'll just have to accept that it's gotten thinner.

Mairéad
January 21st, 2013, 12:45 PM
I have both major hat hair in the winter and less texture without the humidity plumping it up for me.

raingirl
January 21st, 2013, 12:48 PM
I vote for the moisture thing as well. It's so humid here in summer and so dry in winter, that theory makes sense to me.

bunzfan
January 22nd, 2013, 12:57 AM
I agree with you, i've noticed the day after washing my hair looks much flatter than it normally does, since it got to winter and i'm having to wash it more regularly .

MORE
January 22nd, 2013, 01:05 AM
Me too! My hair is so flat right now. I also vote for the humidity thing. My hair usually has a lot more volume in the summer and I believe that's why it feels thicker then. But then again, that's the fluffiness season.:rolleyes:

schweedie
January 23rd, 2013, 03:09 AM
Well, bring on spring and summer and hair with volume, I say!

For me it's not just that it feels thinner, sadly - my measuring tape confirms that it really is, too. It'll be interesting to see if it changes with the weather.

MaryMarx
January 23rd, 2013, 03:25 AM
I would definitely like to get thicker hair in the warmer months, although the thought makes me nervous, because this will be my first summer with my "new", healthy hair and I have NO idea how it will behave in summer. :D

vamq
January 23rd, 2013, 03:41 AM
I was just thinking about this myself yesterday.
I don't know why, but always when temperatures go below 0 my hair feels thinner as well.
Feels more greasy too, somehow, while the length is very dry.
My measuring tape shows me that I "lost" some thickness (like 0.5"), but I that's more because my hair is not very wavy, almost to the point of being straight o.0'

I just hope tempertatures here will rise soon :(

MORE
January 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Agree, let's bring on summer! :D

vamp, that thing with the greasy flatness and dry length... I know that all too well. So annoying. I just tend to see it as hat season lol:p

QMacrocarpa
January 23rd, 2013, 06:53 AM
My hair feels thinner now because I had a big shed in Sept./Oct. and lost about 25% of my thickness (bummer!). My understanding is that some seasonal shedding in the fall is not unusual, so that could be a factor. I'd believe that humidity/dryness has an effect on perceived thickness too, by increasing/decreasing waviness and perhaps affecting the smoothness of individual hairs. But alas, I don't think winter dryness alone can account for the change in my hair.

hafattack
January 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
I have been shedding a Lot and i have been told its normal for winter. I battle dry length with olive oil prewash works wonders for me.

Macaroni
January 23rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
It definitely happens to me. In summer the humidity makes my hair swell, nicely :). In winter the lack of moisture in the air reflects itself in my hair, which I overcome with distilled water misting.

RileyJane
January 24th, 2013, 09:15 AM
My hair thrives off humidity. During the summer I feel like im always in a hair commercial but during winter....not so much. I think the cold upsets my hair more than it upsets me! My hair is also slightly thinner in winter

joesgirl2011
January 24th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I am feeling the same thing. My hair has been shedding like I have never seen before. I think I never noticed it before because I have kept my hair light blonde for over 25 years and now I am a medium ash brown (since October). I am getting under my hood dryer with an smt right now. Long over due.

vamq
January 27th, 2013, 05:17 PM
My hair thrives off humidity. During the summer I feel like im always in a hair commercial but during winter....not so much. I think the cold upsets my hair more than it upsets me! My hair is also slightly thinner in winter

I'm still feeling like I'm in a hair commercial during the winter.
It's just that right now, I'm the person they use to show how you look before using product X :laugh:

Anyway, I found that hair masks (I have a jar from Guhl) work wonders for my hair.
Even more strange: they work better if I barely rinse them out, something that does not work during the summer...

schweedie
January 28th, 2013, 03:26 AM
It definitely happens to me. In summer the humidity makes my hair swell, nicely :).
This is what I'm hoping is up with my hair, too. :)

I'm still feeling like I'm in a hair commercial during the winter.
It's just that right now, I'm the person they use to show how you look before using product X :laugh:
*snort* I feel you!

I just remembered that I did cassia treatments regularly over the summer/early autumn, which was when my hair felt wonderful, and then my stash ran out and I forgot to order more. I suppose that could be a factor, too! Off to order more cassia, it is.

Kwantslonghair
January 28th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Mine feels thinner and more blah too in winter. It has to be humidity as when I was in California I had almost awesome hair.