PDA

View Full Version : Hair Repair!

Luminaria
January 21st, 2013, 12:50 AM
Hair Experiments Gone Wrong. The past month I've tried washing with African black soap and Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle on/off. I've been using warm water to wash. Last week, I tried washing my hair with Trader Joes Oat and Honey Soap (someone mentioned it and African black soap was wayyy too harsh for me), an ACV rinse, and an almond oil rinse (apply oil and rinse with water). When I rinsed out the soap my hair felt sandy and rough. When dried my hair was fluffy and kinda silky/shiny. A few days later, I got a few scalp acne and dryness. So I decided to use shampoo next wash. I oiled my hair yesterday with coconut oil and washed with Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle shampoo today. It wouldn't lather, so I think used around a tbsp? and massaged for awhile. When I rinsed my hair , it felt weird, rough, and sandy again. I then rinsed with ACV. Then I did an almond oil rinse. Now that it's dried, it rough and crispy. It's not as shiny/smooth/soft-ish as usual....and there's alot of splits too. I think that the use of soap is the root of my problem. Did it left buildup/damaged it? Are there any ways/recipes that can help my hair recover? Thanks!

Natalia
January 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Wow thats alot of experimenting. Id go to the good old standby of an SMT or put your favorite condish on damp hair, cover with a shower cap, and keep it on and warm for at least 30 minutes. You could do a coconut milk soak as well i did it for a few hours but i think 30 minutes would be the minimum. Good luck!

NoRush
January 21st, 2013, 05:38 AM
I agree, try to pamper your hair first and if that doesn't seem to work then clarify and try again. As for the splits, you're better off cutting them now before they travel up the shaft, a good s&d and you'll be good to go ;)

allycat
January 21st, 2013, 06:15 AM
I would try a regular good old clarifying shampoo followed by a good moisturizing conditioner and try to assess things from there.

I don't know about the soap experiments, they sound like they've been harsh on your hair. But right now it sounds like you have a lot of oil build up. The coconut oil may or may have not come off with the tea tree shampoo, but the almond oil is certainly on there. Oils don't rinse off with water.

ravenreed
January 21st, 2013, 06:23 AM
I am betting that those two shampoos have protein and you may have protein overload. Try a traditional shampoo but diluted, maybe. Or possibly give CO a try. It could also be that the oils you are using don't agree with your hair. Olive oil gives me crispy hair, as does coconut oil if I use it too often.

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM
I find SMT with molasses instead of honey very moisturizing.

Luminaria
January 25th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I agree, try to pamper your hair first and if that doesn't seem to work then clarify and try again. As for the splits, you're better off cutting them now before they travel up the shaft, a good s&d and you'll be good to go ;) I trimmed a little today. I might do s&d tomorrow to get rid of some ssks.

Luminaria
January 25th, 2013, 12:28 AM
I am betting that those two shampoos have protein and you may have protein overload. Try a traditional shampoo but diluted, maybe. Or possibly give CO a try. It could also be that the oils you are using don't agree with your hair. Olive oil gives me crispy hair, as does coconut oil if I use it too often. The shampoo doesn't have protein in it and I haven't used any protein lately... I did use coconut oil as a prewash...hmmm...