PDA

View Full Version : Up do issues

ZenaZoo
January 20th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Elastics, i don't have any with the metaL on but I know they're damaging, I don't use them much, maybe a few times a week at the end of a braid, or loosely just to hold hair together while I make a bun and use a clip just above my bun with the ends of my hair to secure it, I know this causes breaking/ weakening f my ends, but I can't seem to secure a updo many other ways, this is the quickest, simplest way for work, I can't use sticks for work and most claw clips are too small, scrape my scalp and just fall out with the weight. Braiding is fine for a while, but I get a baggy neckline, I can't stand flappy bits round my neck as I wear a shirt all day and it gets stuck in there and just irritates.
Im a bit stuck at the moment, my hair is around waist, been around this for a few months now after a 1cm trim to neaten my ends.

Pictures taken 3/4 months ago, but about the same thing,
lone braided and wrapped, one twisted around,

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af235/zenazoo/image-4_zpsf551ff1a.jpg
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af235/zenazoo/image-4_zps7ad4619e.jpg

anyone got any suggestions about the clips? Ay alternative ways of holding my hair up without bobby pins, I loose them, they don't like my hair and side out,

thanks in advance:o

akilina
January 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I 100% recommend a Double Pointed needle hair fork!!! You get a double pointed knitting needle and bend it in half over the skinny part of a door knob. This is seriously theee best hair fork I have ever used in my life. I even wear them to bed and it stays all thru the night and I pretty much thrash in my sleep.
They are very discreet too...they go right in your hair and you can not even see them. It would pass at work because they wouldn't even be able to see it/have a problem with it.

PrincessIdril
January 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Spin pins
Those things are just magic, no one can see them and they are so effective at holding up hair. I also find them to be a lot more comfortable and easier to use than sticks

ZenaZoo
January 20th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I've never tried a hair fork, might give it a go, as for sin pins, I've heard a lot about them but never tried one, maybe it's time to invest, thanks guys!!

plainjanegirl
January 20th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Do the spin pins get caught in your hair ?

akilina
January 20th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I can't stress enough how great the knitting needle pin is. They are fairly cheap and you can pick out whatever color or thickness you want. Red or pink would be awesome to match your hair! I have never tried spin pins before, so I don;t have an opinion on them.

Seeshami
January 20th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I love my spin pins. I have never gotten a fork to work for my hair but that's normal for me. I also noticed one of my spin pins is getting bent, I never knew The Naughty Mess could destroy a spin pin but it looks like he's been trying.

Edit:

There are also Paranda. You can braid past your ends and then use what ever to secure the paranda.

longNred
January 20th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Spin pins are nothing short of miraculous. I got the long set, and the short set, I LOVE them. And no, they do not get stuck. They turn in, hold amazingly, and turn right out.

Long_hair_bear
January 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
spin pins and hair sticks :)

Madora
January 20th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Long hair needs something stronger than bobby pins to keep it up. I prefer 3 inch crimped hairpins myself. They hold like a rock and are easy to use.

However, you might try and omit using that clip as the hair you clip..i.e. the hair nearest your scalp, will eventually pay the price by weakening and breaking off.

Wearing long hair comfortably is a matter of sectioning it..i.e.

1) Detangle gently
2) Make a horizontal part from the top of one ear to the top of the other (around the back of the head)
3) Take all the hair above the part, comb it out gently, and loosely braid it. Tie off with elastic.
4) Take that braid and coil it in a bun, pinning the edges of the braid against your scalp with crimped hairpins. Pin in the 4 directions (north/south/east/west. Tuck the tail under the bun.
5) Take the remaining hair, comb it out, then braid it loosely. Coil it around the braid alredy made, pinning as you go. Tuck in the tassle. Voila..one sectioned braided bun.

You can use the same method with cinnabuns, or rope braids, or do a Cameo bun. The sectioning helps distribute the weight of your hair.

ZenaZoo
January 21st, 2013, 02:05 AM
I've been trying nt to use it but it seems the only thi to work at the moment, ill try sectioning later, when I used or half updo it always used or get angled, but my hair does not tangle much anymore, I hardly ever brush it, maybe once e a week before washing, I've been looking not forks, spin pins, when I gt paid I might be a selection and see what works,

Thanks guys!

torrilin
January 21st, 2013, 09:31 AM
When Madora is referring to sectioning, it's not a half up. The thicker your hair is, the harder it is to just twist it and put it up. So to dodge this, a lot of people with thicker hair will do sectioned updos. The current hairstyle of the month is triple buns, and a lot of ladies are doing them to look like a single bun. You can do a similar thing with small buns along the nape of your neck. Add a decorated hairpin or two, some thought to your part, and you end up with something like La Dolly Vita's Little Black Dress (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcEt-mTVKM&list=PLF328B7C305D1780C&index=4) undo.

Vortex or rose buns use a similar idea. Rather than making small buns, you wrap the strands around each other. There are a lot of Youtube videos showing these sorts of buns, and I don't have a favorite.

Since you list your thickness as ii tho, I doubt that sectioning will cure everything. It's very helpful for very thick or very long hair, and right now yours is neither :). Using better techniques for putting up your buns should help a lot. My hair is really slippery, and trying to put it up with a single claw clip is doomed before I even start. My hair just laughs at the very idea and slithers off. Bobby pins are similarly awful. Forks, spin pins, hair sticks and using 2-4 mini claw clips around the edge of a bun all work much better. You can also experiment with different updos. Hypnotica's (http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica) youtube channel is done by a woman with fine, straight and slithery hair similar to mine. Yours is probably a good bit coarser, but many of the ideas she shows should work well for you. The older the video, the closer her length would be to yours... these days her hair is more towards fingertip length, so some of the tricks she's showing in new videos will take more length than you have. OTOH, she's great inspiration if you're freaking out at the idea that straight or fine hair can't look good long :D.