PDA

View Full Version : Vote best hair breakage minimizing product\natural remedy?

lole18
January 20th, 2013, 02:43 PM
My hair's been breaking and shedding like crazy for the past 5 years now it's 1\4 what it was before and its because of hypothyroid! i know i can't do anything with the shedding but what about the breaking? i tried lots of hair masks conditioners and leave ins and olive oi but they never work? could you reccommend me something and how to apply it and when will i see a result:)?

chen bao jun
January 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I assume you wear it up in a protective style.
Have you tried a protein treatment reconstructor such as Aphogee Two Step or something like the Joico K-Pak? You can't use them every time you wash, but they do strengthen hair and reduce breakage--although I don't know if they work when you have hypothyroid. HTH.

lole18
January 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I assume you wear it up in a protective style.
Have you tried a protein treatment reconstructor such as Aphogee Two Step or something like the Joico K-Pak? You can't use them every time you wash, but they do strengthen hair and reduce breakage--although I don't know if they work when you have hypothyroid. HTH.

I wear protective styles and i tried protein treatments but they haven't worked!

Rosetta
January 21st, 2013, 12:40 AM
As for natural remedy, my vote goes to coconut oil. In my experience it really helps with breakage!

You can use it for deep pre-wash oilings and if it suits your hair type, small amounts in the ends as leave-in.

Luminaria
January 21st, 2013, 01:12 AM
What kind of products do you use? Maybe try gentler products or go no poo? Have you tried henna/cassia?

melusine963
January 21st, 2013, 01:58 AM
I vote coconut oil, because it acts as a leave-in detangler for me. The slip it gives my hair means I get a lot less damage when I brush and detangle. I've definitely seen a huge reduction in the number of splits I get since I started using this. Presumably any other kind of leave-in oil would do the trick as well.

Anapeli
January 21st, 2013, 03:18 AM
For me it's hair trimming.

LadyCelestina
January 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM
I THIRD coconut oil - read this if you want to and have some time on hand http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf . I use A LOT and add even more when it soaks into the hair.

And what else worked for me was a protein DT from time to time,careful combing and using less leave in if any at all aside from oils (? left in some GF conditioner when I planned to wear hair up and it made it tangly,so this is kinda recent.)

renia22
January 21st, 2013, 08:01 AM
I vote coconut oil. Depending on your hair type, you might want to try an overnight treatment, then wash out in the morning. The longer you leave it on, the better. If you wrap your head the heat with help, too. If you experience problems with washing it out, you can try working conditioner through your hair prior to adding water, then rinse (conditioner seems to get it out better than shampoo, especially if you work it through before adding water). Dr. Bronner's All In One Hair Cream works very well on dry, crispy ends also. It contains coconut oil, but it's cream, so it's not as greasy, so it's great for daytime use.

rock007junkie
January 21st, 2013, 09:02 AM
I vote for coconut oil as well. As soon as you incorporate it into your routine you will see the difference. If you are in need of a strong protein conditioner to stregthen your hair I cannot recommed enough Curl Junkie's Repair Me. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way. It's a big bottle and it'll last you a long while. Your hair will look and feel drastically different from the first time you use it.

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
As for natural remedy, my vote goes to coconut oil. In my experience it really helps with breakage!

You can use it for deep pre-wash oilings and if it suits your hair type, small amounts in the ends as leave-in.

I vote coconut oil, because it acts as a leave-in detangler for me. The slip it gives my hair means I get a lot less damage when I brush and detangle. I've definitely seen a huge reduction in the number of splits I get since I started using this. Presumably any other kind of leave-in oil would do the trick as well.

I THIRD coconut oil - read this if you want to and have some time on hand http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf . I use A LOT and add even more when it soaks into the hair.

And what else worked for me was a protein DT from time to time,careful combing and using less leave in if any at all aside from oils (? left in some GF conditioner when I planned to wear hair up and it made it tangly,so this is kinda recent.)

I vote coconut oil. Depending on your hair type, you might want to try an overnight treatment, then wash out in the morning. The longer you leave it on, the better. If you wrap your head the heat with help, too. If you experience problems with washing it out, you can try working conditioner through your hair prior to adding water, then rinse (conditioner seems to get it out better than shampoo, especially if you work it through before adding water). Dr. Bronner's All In One Hair Cream works very well on dry, crispy ends also. It contains coconut oil, but it's cream, so it's not as greasy, so it's great for daytime use.

I vote for coconut oil as well. As soon as you incorporate it into your routine you will see the difference. If you are in need of a strong protein conditioner to stregthen your hair I cannot recommed enough Curl Junkie's Repair Me. It's a little pricey but a little goes a long way. It's a big bottle and it'll last you a long while. Your hair will look and feel drastically different from the first time you use it.

To everyone who voted for coconut oil :) i hate leaving it after the shower so i can i leave it for a few hours before showering? how do you apply it and what brand do you use? :) i have fine hair..would that be a problem? also i detangle with conditioner in my hair in the shower it's the only way i can detangle it!

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 09:41 AM
What kind of products do you use? Maybe try gentler products or go no poo? Have you tried henna/cassia?

I might sound stupid but what are no poo products lol? i detangle with conditioner in my hair in the shower it's the only way i can detangle it! and henna made it worse so i stopped it

For me it's hair trimming.

My hair's already very short i've been trimming it a lot and it hasn't helped

Long_hair_bear
January 21st, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thats a tough one. I like coconut oil for natural remedy but for "unnatural" I like my babyface pure protein treatment. I only use it every 2 months or so though. Coconut oil is a hair staple in my house and a great prewash treatment. :)

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 09:50 AM
Thats a tough one. I like coconut oil for natural remedy but for "unnatural" I like my babyface pure protein treatment. I only use it every 2 months or so though. Coconut oil is a hair staple in my house and a great prewash treatment. :)

how long do you leave it on? and how do you apply it and what brand do you use? :)

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2013, 09:51 AM
You said you protective style-- are you able to use hairstyles where you don't have to redo them everyday? Sometimes when I do a bun I wrap it in a silk scarf at night and leave it in my hair three days. I spray on a mixture of rosewater, glycerin and aloe vera jelly to moisturize my hair while up like this.
Do you use silk scarves to sleep with and/or silk or satin pillowcases? I found they help with breakage a lot.
I've been wearing a satin sleep cap under my hats when I go out in winter weather, too. Hair ends not contacting coat or roughness of hat.
Have you ever baggied your ends?

Long_hair_bear
January 21st, 2013, 09:53 AM
how long do you leave it on? and how do you apply it and what brand do you use? :)

Leave what on? The coconut oil or the protein treatment?

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
You said you protective style-- are you able to use hairstyles where you don't have to redo them everyday? Sometimes when I do a bun I wrap it in a silk scarf at night and leave it in my hair three days. I spray on a mixture of rosewater, glycerin and aloe vera jelly to moisturize my hair while up like this.
Do you use silk scarves to sleep with and/or silk or satin pillowcases? I found they help with breakage a lot.
I've been wearing a satin sleep cap under my hats when I go out in winter weather, too. Hair ends not contacting coat or roughness of hat.
Have you ever baggied your ends?

I can never leave my hair in a protective hairstyle longer than a day! But i'll try the satin pillow case thanks! what does baggied my ends mean lol? also i wear hair bandannas that are a little tight.. i know it's a bad thing but i don't know what to do with flyaways?

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 10:07 AM
Leave what on? The coconut oil or the protein treatment?

The coconut oil :)

Long_hair_bear
January 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
The coconut oil :)

I leave it on at least 12 hours. I don't use a specific brand..... I bought a pound from one of my soap makers and use that. I learned from Torrin Paige on youtube on how and when to apply it. I usually do as she does.... I put it on dry hair before bed, braid it, and sleep in it, then wash it out in the morning. :)

woolyleprechaun
January 21st, 2013, 10:44 AM
I mix melted coconut oil with castor oil and let it set in the fridge. It certainly helps with breakage, and if you use it as a scalp oil, it will help with thinning too :)

melusine963
January 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
To everyone who voted for coconut oil :) i hate leaving it after the shower so i can i leave it for a few hours before showering? how do you apply it and what brand do you use? :) i have fine hair..would that be a problem? also i detangle with conditioner in my hair in the shower it's the only way i can detangle it!

Why do you hate leaving it in after you shower? If it's making your hair feel stringy or look greasy then you've used far too much. Coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually soaks into your hair shaft, so as long as you don't overdo it it shouldn't leave your hair greasy at all.

I use pure coconut oil - the kind that you would cook with and that is solid at room temperature. I take a little fingernail scraping of oil and melt it between my palms. Then I smoothe my palms over my hair from my chin down. The hair above my chin already gets plenty of oil from my scalp, so I avoid adding any extra there. I recommend you add less than you think you'll need the first time. It's much easier to add a little extra once the first lot has had time to soak in than it is to remove the excess.

I usually add a very generous amount of coconut oil to my hair a few hours (or preferable overnight) before I wash it. This way it protects my hair from drying out too much in the shower, and it doesn't matter if it makes my hair look greasy since it gets washed before I have to leave the house again.

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 03:56 PM
I leave it on at least 12 hours. I don't use a specific brand..... I bought a pound from one of my soap makers and use that. I learned from Torrin Paige on youtube on how and when to apply it. I usually do as she does.... I put it on dry hair before bed, braid it, and sleep in it, then wash it out in the morning. :)

I mix melted coconut oil with castor oil and let it set in the fridge. It certainly helps with breakage, and if you use it as a scalp oil, it will help with thinning too :)

Why do you hate leaving it in after you shower? If it's making your hair feel stringy or look greasy then you've used far too much. Coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually soaks into your hair shaft, so as long as you don't overdo it it shouldn't leave your hair greasy at all.

I use pure coconut oil - the kind that you would cook with and that is solid at room temperature. I take a little fingernail scraping of oil and melt it between my palms. Then I smoothe my palms over my hair from my chin down. The hair above my chin already gets plenty of oil from my scalp, so I avoid adding any extra there. I recommend you add less than you think you'll need the first time. It's much easier to add a little extra once the first lot has had time to soak in than it is to remove the excess.

I usually add a very generous amount of coconut oil to my hair a few hours (or preferable overnight) before I wash it. This way it protects my hair from drying out too much in the shower, and it doesn't matter if it makes my hair look greasy since it gets washed before I have to leave the house again.

I tried parachute coconut oil and it made me thin out even more and i couldn't get it out of my hair though i only used a little! that's why i'm asking if you have a brand that you reccommend?

renia22
January 21st, 2013, 04:14 PM
I tried parachute coconut oil and it made me thin out even more and i couldn't get it out of my hair though i only used a little! that's why i'm asking if you have a brand that you reccommend?

How did you wash it out? Was the oil applied to damp/wet or dry hair? Did you add water prior to shampoo or conditioner? My hair is fine like you stated yours is, and I find that less is more with coconut oil; that it's more the length of time left on that counts. I use a little on *dry* hair, and like I stated before, I be sure to work a good amount of shampoo or conditioner through my hair *before* adding water when washing it out (once you add water it binds oils to your hair and the oil is harder to remove, especially for us fine haired people) I like Fiji brand coconut oil (http://www.iherb.com/Organic-Fiji-Certified-Organic-Coconut-Oil-Fragrance-Free-3-oz-89-ml/15272), you can get just a small 3 ounce bottle which lasts forever if you don't use a lot. There is also one from "The Coconut Hut" (www.coconuthutbeauty.com) that seems to be thinner than most, I am not sure why. Both of these brand come in small sizes & have nice bottle tops that make it easy to get out only a little.

kdaniels8811
January 21st, 2013, 04:17 PM
Catnip tea works wonders to prevent breakage and splits. Plain old grocery store catnip.

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 04:34 PM
How did you wash it out? Was the oil applied to damp/wet or dry hair? Did you add water prior to shampoo or conditioner? My hair is fine like you stated yours is, and I find that less is more with coconut oil; that it's more the length of time left on that counts. I use a little on *dry* hair, and like I stated before, I be sure to work a good amount of shampoo or conditioner through my hair *before* adding water when washing it out (once you add water it binds oils to your hair and the oil is harder to remove, especially for us fine haired people) I like Fiji brand coconut oil (http://www.iherb.com/Organic-Fiji-Certified-Organic-Coconut-Oil-Fragrance-Free-3-oz-89-ml/15272), you can get just a small 3 ounce bottle which lasts forever if you don't use a lot. There is also one from "The Coconut Hut" (www.coconuthutbeauty.com (http://www.coconuthutbeauty.com)) that seems to be thinner than most, I am not sure why. Both of these brand come in small sizes & have nice bottle tops that make it easy to get out only a little.

I apply it onto dy hair.. i don't know how much should i put on! how many tablespoons do you use? and when wahing it out can i add a 5 minute mask instead of conditioner? i never use conditioners i dont know why lol

Long_hair_bear
January 21st, 2013, 04:46 PM
I apply it onto dy hair.. i don't know how much should i put on! how many tablespoons do you use? and when wahing it out can i add a 5 minute mask instead of conditioner? i never use conditioners i dont know why lol

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pf6cMoYYLPY

This might help you out!

I put the coconut oil in about 12 hours before washing my hair, then wash it, then let my onditioner sit in my hair for 30 minutes to an hour, then rinse it out. You really should use conditioner. :) When using coconut oil, only us a teeny amount!

renia22
January 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM

Well for reference my hair is shoulder length and thin/fine (my ponytail circumference is about 2"-2 1/4"). I put about a drop or two (the size of a mini chocolate chip, or grain of rice maybe? If that?) on my finger tips, then gently work it through my ends, especially where it's dry, split or crispy if that's the case. You can add more if you are finding your hair is absorbing it, or if it's not enough. Then put it up and leave it on overnight. The mask might work but I have never tried that myself, but if you use that, just work it through your hair really well before any water touches it. Then the oil should rinse out just fine. You can shampoo your hair if you need to after that. I also think you can use any brand of coconut oil, I just think with fine or delicate/thinner hair it just gets tricky getting it out, which is why I like the above^^ brands, because of the small sizes & bottle designs. The Fiji brand oil is my favorite, though.

lole18
January 21st, 2013, 04:51 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pf6cMoYYLPY

This might help you out!

I put the coconut oil in about 12 hours before washing my hair, then wash it, then let my onditioner sit in my hair for 30 minutes to an hour, then rinse it out. You really should use conditioner. :) When using coconut oil, only us a teeny amount!

thanks very much i'll try it!! :)