PDA

View Full Version : Used Color Oops, can't get the smell out of my hair! HELP!!!!

lunardaydreamer
January 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hi ladies and gents! I used Color Oops knowing it would smell like rotten eggs. I'd read all the reviews, and knew what I was in for. Only, to me it's worse than rotten eggs! It's something else in there and I've washed my hair five or six times and the smell seems like it's getting stronger!!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Is there anything I can do to get the smell out of my hair? I am very pleased with the results, but if I had known how long it would take to get this smell out of my hair I wouldn't have used it. This sounds ridiculous but it keeps me up at night, that's how terrible it is haha! Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

akilina
January 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
It never lasted that long for me...Usually if I do a DT after it it takes away the smell..
Sometimes you just have to ride it out. It will go away eventually.

Everyone seems to have a huge problem with it here and always disses on my idea...but I have been known to spritz some body spray or perfume into the area and shake my hair thru the mist. I don't spray the perfume directly into my hair or anything. My hair never turned stark green, or fell out, or got FRIED, or even dried out from this. :rolleyes:
You could make your own mix with EO's and water but that is not that simple if you don't just have a few different EO's laying around. They are a bit expensive.
Maybe a diluted ACV rinse would help? I notice that acv helps with a lot of random unpleasant smells.

Kittykins
January 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM
I found that soaking my hair in coconut milk and having it under a shower cap for at least 30 mins before rinsing helped.

Kaelee
January 19th, 2013, 08:11 PM
It never lasted that long for me...Usually if I do a DT after it it takes away the smell..
Sometimes you just have to ride it out. It will go away eventually.

Everyone seems to have a huge problem with it here and always disses on my idea...but I have been known to spritz some body spray or perfume into the area and shake my hair thru the mist. I don't spray the perfume directly into my hair or anything. My hair never turned stark green, or fell out, or got FRIED, or even dried out from this. :rolleyes:
You could make your own mix with EO's and water but that is not that simple if you don't just have a few different EO's laying around. They are a bit expensive.
Maybe a diluted ACV rinse would help? I notice that acv helps with a lot of random unpleasant smells.

I agree with this (it won't do anything bad to your hair! In fact I think I might try your method Akilina.) But I don't think it will cover up a Rotten eggs + 1 smell. :(

I would try a DT or the coconut milk that Kittykins suggested.

It takes a week for the henna smell to fully go away (I like the henna smell though, I can't imagine if it were a smell I DIDN'T like!) and that's with washing EVERY day.

akilina
January 19th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Oh yes it is definitely a quite strong smell to say the least lol! Pew..its bad. Ive used color oops so many times in my life so far. The thing that was the best was using henna after the oops...no bad smell at all left. I do miss the smell of henna....
I found that some perfume would just help with temporary relief of the smell so you can at least stand your own stench. :p
I am glad someone else agrees that this idea is not so bad at all. Some people have completely shut down the idea like its terribly absurd and just the worst thing ever. Its not like you spray it into your scalp or directly douse your hair in it.
It really helps when I have been smoking or cooking something really strong (or frying something).

Kaelee
January 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Oh yes it is definitely a quite strong smell to say the least lol! Pew..its bad. Ive used color oops so many times in my life so far. The thing that was the best was using henna after the oops...no bad smell at all left. I do miss the smell of henna....
I found that some perfume would just help with temporary relief of the smell so you can at least stand your own stench. :p
I am glad someone else agrees that this idea is not so bad at all. Some people have completely shut down the idea like its terribly absurd and just the worst thing ever. Its not like you spray it into your scalp or directly douse your hair in it.
It really helps when I have been smoking or cooking something really strong (or frying something).

I used to apply body spray by spraying it in the air and walking through it. Got all over me, including my hair.

Yea, drenching your hair in it isn't good. But it can't possibly be worse than conventional hairspray, even if you DID! (not that I think hairspray is all that good, and I don't use it.)

jillosity
January 19th, 2013, 09:04 PM
I found the stench stuck to my hair for almost 3 weeks, and was worst when my hair was wet. It will fade, but it was pretty sickening to me too. I tried a few deep treatments, and it still stuck around. Oh god, to henna again right after? Dang, right back into the frying pan!! ::shudders::

Maybe a heavy oiling, left on overnight? Then wash out and use a really smelly conditioner, the smelliest I've used is VO5 Shea Cashmere, it so heavily fragranced I can't stand using it to co-wash.

renia22
January 19th, 2013, 09:19 PM
If you want to go with a strong smelling conditioner like jillosity suggests, Curl Junkie Strengthening conditioner is super strong smelling too, as is the Shea Moisture Yucca Baobab. Stays in your hairs for days...

raingirl
January 19th, 2013, 11:07 PM
It takes a couple of weeks for the smell to go away. It will be worse when wet. I tried the coconut milk suggestion and it worked a bit, but it was still stinky when wet. I did one at the beginning of December and only really in the last week or so stopped noticing it in the shower.

littlestarface
January 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Henna took away the smell for me,gosh that color oops stinks so much,,like the pits of hell and it stayed with me for over a week.

akilina
January 20th, 2013, 12:30 AM
I think I must be lucky...The stink only lasted 1 or 2 days tops for me...Maybe 3 at most.

AnnaB
January 20th, 2013, 02:07 AM
I had same problem. I had the smell in my hair for several months!!!!!!! Every time the hair was wet it was worse. It only went away when I dyed my hair again. :( I'm sorry you going through this nit sucks.

lunardaydreamer
January 20th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Thank you EVERYONE! Akilina, I definitely used your method! And AnnaB oh god I hope it doesn't last for months lol. When my hair is wet it's definitely the worst. I did an ACV rinse, my poor boyfriend found himself my little hair disaster helper last night! I'd rather smell ACV than the color oops so I didn't mind that. He rinsed my hair in the sink for what felt like 20 minutes after even though I did the initial rinse days ago. The strongest smelling conditioner I have is the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, so I let that sit for oh about an hour and a half while we watched a movie ha! Still stinks when it's wet but I put some Argan oil stuff in it and did the good old body mist spray! I think it is a lot better when dry, but wet oh boy. Thank you so much everyone! Glad I'm not the only one. I really don't want to dye it again, but I might end up doing a gloss or something just to get the stink out if I can't take it haha.

spidermom
January 20th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I find that I notice the scent of my hair much less when I put it up.

vamq
January 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM
I got rid of the smell by slathering tomato paste on my hair.
I left it in my hair for 2 hours or so, and then rinsed it out. Worked for my hair.

I'm not kidding, tomato paste or juice works wonders for getting nasty smells out of hair :)

ETA: it can be a bit drying for your hair, but so far I haven't found anything that worked better for getting rotten egg or even vomit smells (don't ask shudder:) out of my hair.

jacqueline101
January 20th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I'd try the perfume idea.

littlestarface
January 20th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I left it in my hair for 2 hours or so, and then rinsed it out. Worked for my hair.

I'm not kidding, tomato paste or juice works wonders for getting nasty smells out of hair :)

ETA: it can be a bit drying for your hair, but so far I haven't found anything that worked better for getting rotten egg or even vomit smells (don't ask shudder:) out of my hair.

I thought this too lol and I did a tomato sauce,honey,evoo mix in my hair to try to take away the smell and it was disgusting,,smelled like vomit mixed with rotten eggs for days.

Seeshami
January 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mermaid in some baking soda and water and then a deep treatment with things that smell pretty.

I also did Dove go fresh body spray to mask it and I think it only stuck around for three days. I switched from using color oops to a different brand and the smell faded faster. It was called.....(runs to check da blog)....DeColor Time

from this place:
http://www.finest-cosmetic.com/DECOLOR%20HairColor%20Remover%20System%20for%20col our%20removal%20from%20a%20permanently%20dyed%20ha ir

vamq
January 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I thought this too lol and I did a tomato sauce,honey,evoo mix in my hair to try to take away the smell and it was disgusting,,smelled like vomit mixed with rotten eggs for days.

That's weird.
Maybe because of the evoo? I had bad reactions mixing evoo with ketchup earlier (smelled like vomit indeed). But using either ketchup or evoo alone, I had no problems whatsoever :shrug:

misspurdy06
January 20th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Spray some perfume on your brush and brush your hair. It will cover up the smell (mostly) and wait for it to go away.

jillosity
January 20th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I'm imagining the strong sulfur/dead thing smell my hair had from using color oops twice, and trying to think of what perfume notes might harmonize with it to "cover" it..... uhhhh....

And I'm drawing a complete blank ;) lol

RavenBaby
January 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Exact same thing happened to me with a similar product (Colour Be4), The smell made me feel awful for days but my friends didn't notice anything and thought I was crazy, All I did to get rid of it was use clarifying shampoos and scented conditioners for a little while, Also I wear perfumes a lot so that helped mask it.

Rufflebutt
January 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM
There's really nothing to do besides wait for it to go away. I coloroops my hair once and that was what I ended up doing.

renia22
January 20th, 2013, 06:34 PM

This is interesting, it's the same thing you do for cats or dogs when they get sprayed by a skunk. It actually works for skunk smells, I had to do this with tomato juice on my kitty a couple of times.

CJCHair-stylist
January 27th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Tomato sauce is commonly used for removing chemicals from the hair, like chlorine for example. It could very well help you with the smelliness and neutralize the odour. I would then follow up with a tablespoon of white vinegar in a cup of water as a rinse. You can double up according to your length.

Unofficial_Rose
January 27th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Someone on here once suggested going for a swim in your local pool - apparently the pool chemicals neutralise the sulphur. I can't remember exact details.

I have, however, tried it personally after Color B4 and I can confirm that it works.

Luminaria
June 8th, 2015, 03:46 AM
I know this reply is a few years too late, but if you want to get rid of the smell of Color Oops, use a tomato paste mask. After you have rinsed off Color Oops, apply tomato paste to your hair and cover it with a shower cap for as long as possible. Rinse well and shampoo.

Janja
July 20th, 2018, 03:08 PM
https://i0.wp.com/bella.in.rs/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/decolortime2.jpg?fit=600%2C706&ssl=1 Did someone used this stripper to strip henna and indigo from hair?