PDA

View Full Version : Going Auburn in March-Care qs & UVB q

feb26
January 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
So have decided to go from v dark brown (almost a choc shade) to spicy auburn-like Julia Roberts hair was when she was a redhead-link to pic below-
http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=upZcgUG_oKcGDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.bestcelebrityhair

I have done quite a bit of research & am aware red fades fasts: my best bet is 1-2xs week shampoowith no SLS & v cold water, lots of UVB protection with my hair products. Am curious what the jury says re heat styling 1x/wk with an ionic 2peed hairdryer (hot&warm, no cold shot setting). It does have porcelain body too if this makes a difference.
If anyone has any haircare tips for colored long hair I'd love to know pls -am currently waistlength & will be maintaining. I've looked at henna as an option but tried it once before & had no change in color at all, plus I get migraines. So the idea of wrapping my hair up with something heavy in it & blasting it with heat every few hrs to "try" & achieve a similair look is just not appealing. sorry gals, i know alot of you are into that.

My 2nd q is: what specific ingredients do i look for in uvb products claiming to protect from the sun??
if you know of any good ones pls let me know. tx!!

MidnightMoon
January 19th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I can't really help you with your question but I might have a suggestion about the color.
Since you'll be dyeing your hair the un-natural way and you're going for a lighter shade you'll be bleaching your hair in the process (not separately, but box dyes-/salons/etc do that) so it will be more porous and perfect to use vegetable non permanent deposit only dyes, like Manic Panic or special effects.
So, instead of worrying about the fading Id suggesting looking for a shade of red you like and mixing it with your conditioner, You won't have to colour the whole length to mantain the red and it's not damaging.
And I mention the length colouring because when I dyed my hair redish (in the lighter side of red, like a bit orangey) a few weeks after dyeing I was left with this weird blonde-brown colour without red in it...I mean, it was still a bit red/orange but in most lights t seemed like light brown/yellowish blonde, etc.

feb26
January 19th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately am out in BC & have never seen Manic Panic. We pretty much have Shoppers Drug Mart & Sephora's & that's about it for specialty stores that would carry this. (have heard of this brand though!)

feb26
January 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM
k so did a google search for active ingredients for uvb protectants & here's what i found:
http://www.silviadwomoh.com/index.php/articles-for-african-women/african-women-hair-care/73-uv-hair-protection-101

basically, a hat is my best bet & there will be some fading likely to occur due to my hair's length. HOWEVER, pretty sure I can correct any fading by recoloring tip to toe 1x/yr. Bumble & Bumble has a new line out, Color Minded which is getting excellent reviews: so, likely will be trying them!
Have also found out Aveda has a color strengthening treatment which basically contains protection from uva/uvb.

If anyone finds any further info or products though pls contact me STAT! tx

MidnightMoon
January 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately am out in BC & have never seen Manic Panic. We pretty much have Shoppers Drug Mart & Sephora's & that's about it for specialty stores that would carry this. (have heard of this brand though!)

Well you could order some online
you would need that much as it is quite strong and you would put it in your conditioner.
They don't sell it in shops here where I live either, I just buy it in amazon

feb26
January 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I dunno, I really like to see something before I buy it. The Aveda Madder Rose conditioner I've been using for awhile now is lipstick red in the tube--and all pics I've found online of the product do NOT show what it looks like inside the tube.No offense, I'm just odd that way :)
I did look quickly at Manic Panic's home page just now & it'd be hard to choose a shade-they've got a lot of selection!