PDA

View Full Version : Ends of Hair "Cupping"?

SouthernBelleUS
January 19th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Okay, here's the deal. The ends of my fine hair start "cupping" for lack of a better word When they need trimming. I don't have an issue with split ends, but more with the ends of my hair curling into a letter J. When this happens, the hairs tend to get MUCH more tangled. Like a barrel of monkeys toy, they cup around each other and hold onto each other! Does anyone else have this happen to their hair ends? I ask because it is a BIG problem for me....

Seeshami
January 19th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Mine are normally an L but I have a few J ends as well. I just snip them off when I see them and the oil up my ends.

SouthernBelleUS
January 19th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I'm sure it has to do with the ends of the hair's diameter thinning at the ends.... So fricking annoying because I have to lose length when cutting all these J hairs! Ufffff.... ;)

SouthernBelleUS
January 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
You've got "L"s? *Hee Hee* Yeah! Someone knows what I'm talking about! Thanks for the advice!

jojo
January 19th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I get "L" hairs too occassional, i cut them off!

alexis917
January 19th, 2013, 11:22 AM
After updos that get messy through the day, I end up with "L" and "Z" shapes on some of my ends, if they're damaged.
But I don't mind much, it gives me a warning before I get split ends! It's convenient, in an annoying way.

goldloli
January 19th, 2013, 01:17 PM
so you mean ends curling up? which is what i thought you meant as i have that. or do you mean individual hairs bending at a right angle? which i think is what people are talking about when they say they cut them off.

SouthernBelleUS
January 19th, 2013, 02:07 PM
so you mean ends curling up? which is what i thought you meant as i have that. or do you mean individual hairs bending at a right angle? which i think is what people are talking about when they say they cut them off.

Yes, the ends of my hair get thin in diameter and curl up if they are not trimmed. They tend to hook together which leads to snarls/damage when combing/brushing. Once I do a S&D to trim off the thin hook ends, the hair ends are thicker and lay straight. I just hate to loose the length on the hair, but I guess it is a good thing in that it does let me know it's trim time!

It's kind of like when you shave your legs, the hair is thick and stubbly. Then, when the leg hair grows out all the way (like when you don't shave in wintertime as often) it becomes thin/finer on the ends. The only difference is that my head hairs curl when they haven't been trimmed in a while, & these hooks hook together causing much more tangles. :(

Just wondered if anyone else deals with the problem. It's upsetting to grow the hair just to have to trim the ends off. Trying to grow from Waist/hip length to tailbone and feel like I can never get there. Maybe it hits terminal....

melusine963
January 19th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Hmm, the ends of my hair are permanently 'bent' into a curve because those are the bits that stick out of the end of my braid. I haven't noticed any damage or thinning on the individual hairs. If you don't want to trim so often, I recommend just being very careful when detangling, and perhaps oiling your ends too. This will provide a bit of slip and stop the individual strands catching on each other so badly. Oiling works as a great leave-in detangler for me.

SouthernBelleUS
January 19th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Very good ideas y'all. :)

feb26
January 19th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I get the letter J & half S shapes. So glad you brought this up as have been wondering for awhile now if this is healthy growth or split ends but didnt' want to sound stoopid. I like the oiling the ends, this could be done without showering later, yes?

lapushka
January 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I get these occasionally. Usually it's from updos. They disappear when my hair's next washed, so... no worries... and no need to cut these off - at all!

jacqueline101
January 19th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Mine curl up too almost all of them. I think mine has to do with wash style.

goldloli
January 19th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Yes, the ends of my hair get thin in diameter and curl up if they are not trimmed. They tend to hook together which leads to snarls/damage when combing/brushing. Once I do a S&D to trim off the thin hook ends, the hair ends are thicker and lay straight. I just hate to loose the length on the hair, but I guess it is a good thing in that it does let me know it's trim time!

It's kind of like when you shave your legs, the hair is thick and stubbly. Then, when the leg hair grows out all the way (like when you don't shave in wintertime as often) it becomes thin/finer on the ends. The only difference is that my head hairs curl when they haven't been trimmed in a while, & these hooks hook together causing much more tangles. :(

Just wondered if anyone else deals with the problem. It's upsetting to grow the hair just to have to trim the ends off. Trying to grow from Waist/hip length to tailbone and feel like I can never get there. Maybe it hits terminal....
ahh yes i do experience this and im on the same waist to tbl journey as you. i've actually found i can trim a minimal amount and just let them grow. granted they curl and flick under/over the hem, not looking how i want, but they are pretty harmless with a modest microtrim. mine are cause by s&d, old layers and general taper. im leaving a lot of the ends to take the damage as i grow so the rest of my hair is all fresh and healthy. got about 3 inches of them that i microtrim to stop tangles + futher breakage, its working out great.

TooShort
January 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I get the "J" thing going on off and on. Never really sure why that is. I always thought is was because my hair is fine and naturally straight and it seems to happen when I let my hair air dry. BTW. Off subject I know but I love coconut oil. Is there a "better" oil for winter vs summer?

goldloli
January 19th, 2013, 10:14 PM
i would think a barrier type moisturising oil is better for winter, what with the harsh winds and central heating. maybe a jojoba and castor mix? you could even put coconut in there too!

Kayla Nyx
January 19th, 2013, 10:26 PM
i get that too and it lets me know a trim is in order. i originally planned trimming every 6 months but now i trim when the ends bend or start to feel rough and chewed at

SouthernBelleUS
January 20th, 2013, 08:12 AM
Also, those thin end curling hairs hooking together cause my hair to separate into sections/groups, so that when my hair is not brushed it looks very ratty.... Me no like ratty sections of hair. Maybe my hair is possessed! *He He* ;)

Dovetail
January 20th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Usually I get J's from hair styles, and they settle down after a wash, or if I run water over them. Sometimes I get LOOPS though, like little barrel rolls, which I cut off.

lapushka
January 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Usually I get J's from hair styles, and they settle down after a wash, or if I run water over them. Sometimes I get LOOPS though, like little barrel rolls, which I cut off.

I don't get why almost everyone in here is trimming when this occurs; seems unnecessary to me. They settle down after a wash just fine!

Dovetail
January 20th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Lapishka, my loops don't they just stay that way. usually it's from a tear in the middle of the hair or a white dot making it weak and loopy. Most of the time the loops aren't cured in the shower. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ubsKO3qbqoI/TiSQlC_aRZI/AAAAAAAABuE/YN02ubC29yo/s1600/split_ends.gif sort of like image G in this picture ^-^

lapushka
January 20th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Dovetail, while I get that that loop is different, I don't see why --when there are no splits or white dots on the hair-- it *must* be trimmed when hairs stick out at odd angles.

jojo
January 21st, 2013, 11:27 AM
Lapishka, my loops don't they just stay that way. usually it's from a tear in the middle of the hair or a white dot making it weak and loopy. Most of the time the loops aren't cured in the shower. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ubsKO3qbqoI/TiSQlC_aRZI/AAAAAAAABuE/YN02ubC29yo/s1600/split_ends.gif sort of like image G in this picture ^-^
Great picture, i get A's and E's and the occasional C,

SouthernBelleUS
January 21st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Mine is more like "taper" in the pic:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EqJPvuPRGjI/SdPG9s6IgUI/AAAAAAAAAGY/0oMX5fzJ5jI/s1600-h/SplitEndChart-vi.gif

The taper then curls up and catches on other hairs that are also curling. You definitely don't HAVE to trim these tapered ends off. I just find that the clean cut straight hair after taper cut off greatly reduces my tangles/snarls.

Hmmmmm...I think I'll ignore these tapered ends & report back! I better occupy my time better by knitting! ;)