PDA

View Full Version : terminal length hair achieved by anyone?

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 04:59 PM
has any one reached terminal length hair? how do you know when you have reached it? perhaps you may just be experiencing a temporary slow period in growth?

spidermom
August 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I have heard that you can consider yourself at terminal length if you have had no growth whatsoever for one full year. Then, just to be sure, trim off any damage and give it another year or two.

EdG
August 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I think I'm at terminal. I haven't had any trims in almost four years, and my hair tapers down to nothing. :)
Ed

redpenny
August 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I believe that I have reached terminal length because my hair hasn't grown past a certain length for the past year and 8 months. My ends are a bit thinned out too as well.

pdy2kn6
August 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I think I'm at terminal. I haven't had any trims in almost four years, and my hair tapers down to nothing. :)
Ed

Your hair is amazing! That is how I hope mine to achieve one day. How long has it taken you to achieve such a phenomenal length? Did you trim it many times? Do you have more pictures of your amazing hair? The fairytale ends are inspiring!How do you usually wear it on a day to day basis? plait/down/bun? Sorry to be nosy, it is just so inspiring to see such great hair and it really encourages me to keep patient!

Kat
August 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I think mine's getting there...it's much thinner at the ends than at the top (this is really obvious when I have it braided). Mine's about as long as EdG's. I'm thinking it's time to cut some off, because I hate the thin-ends look. But I'll have to have a good look at it first and see if I'm at that point yet.

Anje
August 26th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Where's Trolleypup? He's been at terminal for at least a few years, somewhere about midthigh.

EdG
August 26th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Your hair is amazing! That is how I hope mine to achieve one day. How long has it taken you to achieve such a phenomenal length? Did you trim it many times? Do you have more pictures of your amazing hair? The fairytale ends are inspiring!How do you usually wear it on a day to day basis? plait/down/bun? Sorry to be nosy, it is just so inspiring to see such great hair and it really encourages me to keep patient!Thank you pdy2kn6!

I've had long hair for a long time. My hair grows at a typical rate of 0.5 inch per month, so I have at least 8 years worth. I wear my hair loose, just like in my signature picture.

There are a lot of people with truly phenomenal hair on this board. I wish you the best in your hair journey and welcome to LHC! :)
Ed

FrannyG
August 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Your hair is amazing! That is how I hope mine to achieve one day. How long has it taken you to achieve such a phenomenal length? Did you trim it many times? Do you have more pictures of your amazing hair? The fairytale ends are inspiring!How do you usually wear it on a day to day basis? plait/down/bun? Sorry to be nosy, it is just so inspiring to see such great hair and it really encourages me to keep patient!

Hi Ed! :waving: You've hijacked yet another thread, I see. :) Well done! :bowtome:

EdG
August 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Ed! :waving: You've hijacked yet another thread, I see. :) Well done! :bowtome: Thanks Franny! :)

pdy2kn6 - it has been a running joke since I joined the board about how many threads I've hijacked due to hair complements. Please don't feel embarrassed. Most members are probably tired of this joke. :D

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread. :cool:
Ed

bte
August 27th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I have been at terminal length for about ten years - after 14 years of no trims and no growth for the last ten years, I reckon I can say I'm at my terminal length, which unfortunately isn't nearly as long as I would like it to be! Good luck with your journey - most in this community achieve thud-worthy lengths well before reaching terminal!

pdy2kn6
August 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks Franny! :)

pdy2kn6 - it has been a running joke since I joined the board about how many threads I've hijacked due to hair complements. Please don't feel embarrassed. Most members are probably tired of this joke. :D

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread. :cool:
Ed

Because you wear your hair down all the time, do you find your hair tangles easy? I find my hair tangles really really easily whenever I have it down, which is a shame because I love it flowing free in the wind. Haha, it is no wonder with a long amazing mane like yours, that you take over most threads haha.
Thanks for replying

EdG
August 27th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Because you wear your hair down all the time, do you find your hair tangles easy? I find my hair tangles really really easily whenever I have it down, which is a shame because I love it flowing free in the wind. Haha, it is no wonder with a long amazing mane like yours, that you take over most threads haha.
Thanks for replyingTangles are a big problem. I find that almost all tangles are caused by lint. Hair worn loose tends to be a lint magnet.
Ed

DaveDecker
August 27th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Tangles are a big problem. I find that almost all tangles are caused by lint. Hair worn loose tends to be a lint magnet.
Ed

In my case, almost all tangles are caused by shed strands that aren't yet free of the mane.

Kat
August 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Wow Ed, I take it back after looking at your pics again. The last one is dark and I didn't realize it was THAT long! Mine's not nearly that long! More like the May of 07 one.

Mine tangles easily when worn down too. Not only that, but it doesn't stay looking good very long--it doesn't stay in one pretty, smooth curtain like some peoples' hair does. After a few minutes of being down it starts looking stringy and tangly and nasty--pair that with the fact that it gets in the way very easily, and I never leave it down!

truepeacenik
August 30th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Dave and Ed, you are both right, at least in my mane.
stuff attracts and the sheds start twirling around it!
To pdy2kn6, it is a stall until you are willing to face it.

also, and more seriously, stalls can happen, they do happen and they drive me around the bend.
I know I'm not at terminal because I'm seeing verrrrry slow growth, a mini spurt and back to sloooow again.
I'm also really starting to face some damage in underlayers, so I have an area where hair is thinner since my trimming created a layer in a section growing at my nape.

harpgal
August 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM
In my case, almost all tangles are caused by shed strands that aren't yet free of the mane.
This is very true of my hair as well. Those loose strands cause a lot of problems.

EdG
August 30th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Wow Ed, I take it back after looking at your pics again. The last one is dark and I didn't realize it was THAT long! Mine's not nearly that long! More like the May of 07 one.Thanks! Because my hair tapers down to nothing, its length is not readily apparent - only a few tens of strands reach my calves. :)

Dave and Ed, you are both right, at least in my mane.
stuff attracts and the sheds start twirling around it!That's my experience too. A piece of lint will wrap itself around several hairs, which become stuck together after washing. Broken hairs then follow. :(
Ed

rchorr
August 30th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I think mine has hit terminal. It's been tailbone length for a LLLLOOOOOONNNNNNNNGGGGGG time! I'm SO bummed, too. I was hoping for classic length. Oh, well. Sigh.

RCHORR'

Kat
September 1st, 2008, 05:29 PM
I've found a lot of trouble with tangles caused by lint...back in college, my ex had a fleece blanket that we had to take off the bed because it got so much lint in my hear (it was pretty obvious it was that one--the blanket was teal and I kept finding uber-nasty tangles wrapped around little bits of teal lint!). My hair also tends to tangle around any damage in the strands as well...which I'm sure is not helped by me trying to detangle it!

thankyousir74
September 1st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hey Kat,

Psssst! What does your terminal hair look like? Some of us would really like a pic ;) This thread is bound to be filled with inspirational photos :sighs:

8 years? hmmmmm I'll be....25? maybe 24 as I have a year's growth already... I can't wait ^_____^

Kat
September 4th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Funny you say that when I was just thinking I need to take another hair pic, esp. since I want to do a henna gloss soon and I want a "before" pic.

Gotta recharge my camera batteries, though--they died halfway through vacation. *sigh*

Dianyla
September 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
It may be slightly premature to say this for sure, but I believe I have reached terminal a few months ago. I tracked my growth rate for years and I get a very consistent 1/2" of new growth every month. Once I reached my current length, it stopped getting longer. If I trim back an inch, it grows right back in two months, and then stops. The best test is to observe the same length for at least a year despite no trims.

The shape of my ends (a very steady even taper down to nothing) is also consistent with terminal length. I've noticed that there seem to be two types of "end shape" with terminal length. My ends (as well as trolleypup's) form a rather short shallow V shape. The ends of some other folks' hair tapers in a longer deeper V, sometimes with a few dozen hairs that extend to make like a Y shape.

EdG
September 4th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The shape of my ends (a very steady even taper down to nothing) is also consistent with terminal length. I've noticed that there seem to be two types of "end shape" with terminal length. My ends (as well as trolleypup's) form a rather short shallow V shape. The ends of some other folks' hair tapers in a longer deeper V, sometimes with a few dozen hairs that extend to make like a Y shape.Hee, hee! I'm that Y-shaped person. :D

Here's another part of the mystery: if I hold my hair in front of my head, my ends will be fairly even. :)
Ed

Dianyla
September 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Here's another part of the mystery: if I hold my hair in front of my head, my ends will be fairly even. :)
It makes sense if those longest hairs (the stub of the Y) are rooted near the crown of your head...

EdG
September 4th, 2008, 10:11 PM
It makes sense if those longest hairs (the stub of the Y) are rooted near the crown of your head...I think they may be rooted towards the back of my head. I notice my hairs in front and near the crown don't grow as long.

This may warrant further investigation at DaveDeckerCon. :)
Ed