PDA

View Full Version : How has LHC improved the quality of your hair?

Rufflebutt
January 18th, 2013, 09:52 PM
So... I joined this site a little over six months ago. At that state, my hair wasn't exactly badly damaged but it was definitely headed there. With my bad habits(constant flat ironing, monthly dyeing, teasing, ect.) it wasn't going to stay relatively healthy for long and I was beginning to see the first signs of serious damage on my hair. It wasn't quite as shiny as it used to be, it didn't brush as easily, I was starting to see split ends and white dots on a regular basis. So... I knew my hair needed a total revision.

Then I found these forums. I was lurker for a while, and then I joined. I stopped flat ironing my hair(except for my bangs, which I'm not planning on growing out), I stopped dyeing my hair and I'm halfway through transitioning, I started doing regular trims to help get rid of damaged hair until I'm ready to grow again, and I completely changed my hair products. Oddly enough, I found that my hair does better without any leave-in conditioners than with them.

And so, here I am. Six months later. I've finally grown to enjoy my natural texture, my ends feels so much better. I actually have to SEARCH for split ends to trim not, they were everywhere before. XD My hair is so much more manageable. And my ends are so much nicer. Before I didn't really have much of a hem line, it was kind of just a ragged and torn looking end to my hair. I trimmed away most of the bad damage now.

I'm so happy! My hair is so much better and to think how much worse I'd be if I kept up my horrible habits. Now your turn! Tell your story!

Hylia
January 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Thats great news. Well I joined LHC when my hair was at shoulder length, it was pretty thin and ugly. That was like 2 years ago? well anyways ever since I joined I stopped using heat on my hair everyday, I stopped dying it for a year almost, only stuck to henna. Then the 2nd year I dyed it with manic panic ONLY. Which I found did not damage my hair at all, if anything helped my hair grow even longer. So in two years my hair went from shoulder to waist. I am now at waist, after having to cut off two inches after dying taking the manic panic out of my hair and dying it. But im really happy with my hair, its a lot thicker and healthier.

NightOwl26
January 18th, 2013, 11:03 PM
After joining a year and a half ago I have way less breakage and dryness after I quit bleaching and heat styling my hair. Now I only use semi permanent dye to blend my roots until they're more grown out.

Ravenwind
January 18th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Before joining LHC my hair was in bad bad shape. It didn't look like it, but I could feel it. In high school I dyed my hair with chemical dyes and straightened my hair everyday without a heat protectant, and completely fried the top layer of my hair. It was so bad and looked bad too. My hair was also down to my lower back. Since then the top layer of my hair has not grown past my shoulders (and I am STILL trying to grow them out!) So, I started looking into natural hair care and began with oil, brushing my hair more (to smooth out the fried-ness), trimmed more to get rid of damage, and stopped straightening so much. I also began dyeing my hair with henna.

Almost a year ago this month, I got extremely fed up with my hair and chopped it off (literally, I put it in a ponytail and hacked away). I wanted to go for an angled layered bob, aaand...it looked awful. I had an emergency haircut the next day, and the stylist thinned the crap out of my hair and my layers were even shorter. I was NOT happy. After that, I promised myself to NEVER cut my hair again. I will grow it out and it will be long forever!

Now, my hair is almost BSL, and I have been experimenting with oils, boosting my hair growth and improving the condition of my hair. I also am growing out my natural hair color, which is to my ears now. My layers are growing and my hair is in the best condition it has ever been in a very long time, thanks to LHC :)

Iolanthe13
January 18th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Before I came here, I was in the process of ruining my hair with heat styling and chemical dyes that faded within a week (the infamous red hair dye problem!). Every time I had a hair cut, it was shorter than the previous time because there was so much damage - and in two years of dyeing my hair, it had gone from nearly hip length and healthy to APL and breaking off. I finally got frustrated with the fading colour and the loss of length, read up about henna, and ended up here. That was around last December; I joined the forum a little later after lurking.

Since last February, I have gone from APL to waist, and the texture of my hair is completely different - smoother, softer and thicker, most of the time. I can air-dry it without worrying much about frizz. The henna colour is beautiful and permanent, unlike the chemical dyes, and I feel better knowing I've reduced the potentially dangerous chemicals I put on my body. I've also saved money on salon visits and expensive, over-hyped products.

Damage takes ages to grow out, and I'm still frustrated with the splits and the straggly ends. However, my hair was nowhere near this smooth even before I dyed it - and a year or so ago, I would have thought my hair would need weekly dye jobs and bathtubs of Kerastase to look like this!

Sharysa
January 19th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Before finding LHC and UTT, my hair wasn't bad, but I kept flat-ironing or blowdrying it. As a result, the top layer was ridiculously frizzy. Every time I got around shoulder-length, it turned into a shapeless mess.

And then I started growing my hair out last year in hopes of landing a role, and the frizz started to calm down when I got to mid-back length. So after I didn't get the role and realized that I actually liked long hair in itself, I looked around for how to take care of it. Just from a couple of weeks of braiding my hair, the top layer of my hair finally cut down on frizz and started to get some shape. (Frequently that of braid-waves, which I heart.)

So to keep my hair looking awesome, I'm using homemade Dr. Bronner's-based shampoo, almond oil and sweetgrass essential oil, and drinking nettle tea. Hair is showing LOTS of promise on getting to waist-length by the end of this year, or early next year.

Also, I can actually DO stuff with it now!

kidari
January 19th, 2013, 02:09 AM
My hair looks the best it's ever looked, thanks to LHC. It is much easier to manage and take care, not to mention cheaper than it has ever been. I have not been to a salon in over three years and I do not ever use heat styling tools, which I used to spend tons of money buying the best thinking they would cause less damage. I also spend less on hair care when in the past I would purchase brands like Alterna and Kerastase only. Now I buy mostly drugstore with natural products like oils, honey, coconut milk... with the occasional splurge on high end haircare products.

MaryMarx
January 19th, 2013, 02:29 AM
Good for you! :)

The LHC gave me all the inspiration for stop dyeing and flat ironing my hair, and I mean ALL the inspiration. It was thanks to the people on here with healthy virgin (curly) hair that I finally could come to peace with my hair in its natural state. And I'm so happy for that. As you can see in my album, I could never have started to think about growing my hair out if I had not come here. :)

Mischamiu
January 19th, 2013, 04:36 AM
I joined about 1.5 years ago too, I had started growing about 6 months before (so that would make 2 years!) but I was still looking for the right haircare. I never used a flat iron on my hair but cutting out the blow drier was a big one for me! It really made wonders. I also started using sulfate free shampoo during the summer and I'm really enjoying it, cones do no good for me neither :( My hair was kind of damaged with bleach and I've been growing that damage out for three years ( I'm also doing some honey treatments!). I get A LOT of compliments on my hair when I do the "plopping and scrunching" wich I never did before. This year I want to start S&D and buy a BB brush. :D

NoRush
January 19th, 2013, 06:14 AM
I joined about 7 months ago, my hair was in good shape since I had had a full blown chop (from bsl to chin) a year before and I had taken resonably good care of it so, after a trim to even the hemline (from inverted bob), I joined and my hair has never looked better, it's full, shiny, tangle free (a first for me), only a few split ends on strands with sun damage from summer, I started getting picky about my shampoos and conditioners, I gave up cones which, as it turned out, were responsible for a good % of my "tangliness", found oils, bless them, I now sleep with a braid, experimented with cassia(which btw didn't go too well, I'll have to try it again but I'm kinda scared of the massive shedding) and I'm currently experimenting with SLS free shampoo, my scalp doesn't seem to like those much :shrug: you'd think that a sensitive scalp with dermatitis would do best on sls free but :bs: anyway, I've never been happier with my hair.

A few other things I've since given up are hot blowfrying, for it is completely unnecessary on my hair and curling irons and such, heat styling doesn't work on me so why put up with the torture?

The community has given me a wealth of information one would be hard pressed to find elsewhere and above all the feedback is the best, exchanging opinions and results :o I've become a bit OCD but as long as it doesn't interfere with my daily life I'm not gonna worry about it :P

Neneka
January 19th, 2013, 06:44 AM
I used harsh chemical dyes and wasn't really gentle with brushes or combs before LHC and my hair was full of split ends. After I chopped the damage off I haven't seen a single split end. My hair is short but I remember I had a lot of splits last time I was at this length and my hair was bleached. I never used much heat and I was into no poo before LHC so it could have been worse.

Amygirl8
January 19th, 2013, 07:16 AM
I think I might've cut off all my hair in rage if I hadn't seen LHC by now lol.
It was in really bad condition, my ends were horribly thin and scraggly, my hair had no shine, if I let it loose it looked more like string than hair. The ends were blonde. I kid you not. I know that the older hair is the lighter it gets because it has had so much exposure to the sun, but my ends right now are just a couple of shades lighter than the roots. Before, they were downright blonde.
It was ridiculous.

Now I have a true hemline and have cut off a good 5 inches of damage since I joined. My hair's not that much longer than from when I started and there's still damage, but it's under control and my hair is much shinier and healthier.
I'm ready to grow to TBL!
(Plus I'm hennaing my hair during March break, my mom actually suggested we add a red tint to my hair and when I mentioned henna I was so surprised that she knew all about it! =D )

rtree721
January 19th, 2013, 07:25 AM
It has been almost six months for me and I do see a difference. But my hair is still mostly damaged from heat styling... My hair was a little past bsl when I joined so it will take me a long time to trim off the damage. I wish I had found TLHC when my hair was chin length and I started to grow it out. If I was to cut off all the damage my hair would go from waist to above shoulder and my hair grows very slowly. :( But at least now I am taking better care of it and lessening the amount of damage that I am causing. I long for the day when all of my pre-LHC hair is cut off and my hair covers my entire back. :D

Xxanderia
January 19th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Well, I joined about six months ago. Right now I'm still at the point where I'm trying to figure out what my hair likes and doesn't like.
When I first joined I had natural hair (fine, but lots of it, and a very ashy mousy brown color.) After seeing the henna threads I was hooked on the idea. I did a total of about four full hennas and five glosses, and I lost so much hair after every time. Which is unfortunate, because I wanted to go to the deep burgundy and I loved how my hair felt thicker afterwards. Needless to say I was too scared about loosing much more hair to continue with the henna, so I went back to a chemical dye. Since doing that I am now doing a weekly honey treatment to lighten it a bit as the chemical dye seemed to latch on a bit too well, ending up much darker than I had planned.
LHC has reminded me though to pay a little more attention to my hair. I no longer use a ball-tipped brush, I do not heat style anymore either. So now I just have to figure everything else out! :p

Long_hair_bear
January 19th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Oh in so many ways! I used to dye, bleach, and flat iron! I used to use SLS shampoo every day! The LHC introduced me to stretching washes, hair sticks, hair oils, the TT, all my fav hair toys artists, and different braids. My hairdresser was shocked when I didn't need a trim for 9 months! My hair is now softer and less frizzy because of the lovely gals and guys of the LHC! :)

rock007junkie
January 19th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Absolutely! prior to joining here my hair wasn't really that bad but I'd observe a little breakeage here and there. Henna and regularly oiling my hair have stopped that

jacqueline101
January 19th, 2013, 09:05 AM
My hair has showed less frizziness, grew out my perm naturally, and I learned the proper way to comb. Learned about oils, monistat, and bbb. I've learned the reason for up do and protective styles.

Kayla Nyx
January 19th, 2013, 09:46 AM
My hair has never been better. I used to flat iron couple times a month, rip through my hair with a brush and dye it constantly. I never trimmed my hair and with the abuse i was putting it through i had pretty chewed on ends and my overall hair looked pretty bad. Now i only use a comb and ive started braiding at night after cutting my bsl hair up to shoulder. I love my hair now, i just have to remember to micro trim every 7-9 months.

akilina
January 19th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Rufflebutt, you should totally take a picture!! I remember seeing how your hair was when you first got here..I bet its looking great now!

Being on this site has helped. When I stray away from this website I tend to be very naughty and mean to my hair and chop it off, straighten it, curl it, bleach it, etc etc...
I joined but then had a long time where I did not come here...maybe even a whole year. I came back for a few months but left again. I was in beauty college for 13 months and never came on here in that time..so it was bad. I went blond twice and had my hair styled every day to kill time.
Now this time around I have stuck here for a consistent year and several months now and my hairs health is really improving again. I have had two chops though..the last one I had a few months ago will surely be the last of the chopping. I only have 4 more inches of layers to grow out! My hair is not all that bad. Being conscious of things like..being careful with it..oiling it several times a week, no heat, using my BBB and TT, Doing deep treatments, has helped the most. Now I just need to quit obsessing about the length ^_^

pittie-lover
January 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Before joining I took pretty good care of my hair. I never really used heat tools and I have never really been into dyeing to. Yes I have chemically dyed it a few times but it was usually once a year. After joining I learned to stretch my washings and learned how to use oils as a leave in and my hair is thanking me for it! I have hennaed my hair once not sure if I liked it or not. I am planning on trying it again because I really like red hair.

natt i nord
January 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
When I joined my hair was something between APL and BSL, dyed with chemicals, frizzy and had split ends over and over.
4 years later I'm at waistlength and a hennahead - the chemical dye hasn't fully grown out yet, but I am on my way and my hair is much softer and healthier. I learned how to do updos and I'm trying to reach hiplength by the end of the year. :)

alexis917
January 19th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I've learned the art of benign neglect!
I've also stretched my washings a bit more,
and have grown fond of oiling.

dwell_in_safety
January 19th, 2013, 01:28 PM
I joined over a year ago, and my hair's improved a truly ridiculous amount. Where is used to be frizzy, full of splits and broken hairs, it now has smooth ends, and it's really hard for me to find any splits at past waist length. I NEVER thought my hair could ever be this nice. Only having to wash it roughly three times a month, at this point in time, really suits me, too. It's low-maintenance, which fits best with my personality and where I am in life. I couldn't ask for better hair, all things considered, and I still have quite a bit of dye-damaged hair to chop off.

dollyfish
January 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
MUST include pictures! I don't appreciate my hair enough and looking through old photos helps lol...

Before I joined I *had* already started growing my hair out... but I flat-ironed literally every day (at least my bangs, if not all my hair) and my hair was so damaged from the heat, bleach, and dyes on top of dyes that it was nearly straight (maybe a 1b or 1c), straw-like and came out in chunks when I pulled my hands through my hair. And I thought that was normal!!

May 2011, I had grown out the bleach/dye enough that I wanted to cut it off to get rid of the demarcation line, and because I got sick of my then-BSL hair because I had no idea how to take care of it or what to do with it. So this picture is technically "virgin" hair! But it's still so heat damaged and over-washed that it looks like straw. And yeah, no waves to speak of
http://i.imgur.com/ZeHstfs.png

Now that I actually know how to take care of my hair, the waves I haven't had since I was 6-years-old have come back! Plus, my hair is super shiny and healthy. This is technically with henna, so it's not "virgin hair," but I'm growing the henna out because I'm tired of it.
http://i.imgur.com/rOKfW8u.png

Very pleased, all in all. Thanks LHC :cheese:

PetuniaBlossom
January 19th, 2013, 02:41 PM
I joined about 6 months ago but had lurked for a few months before that. I had virgin hair, having only had one or two perms when I was in my 20s (in my 70s now) and had it straightened once. I've never dyed or bleached it, instinctively knew that teasing was bad and avoided it. I rarely used a blow dyer, stopped the occasional use of curling irons decades ago. So with all that, you'd think my hair would already have been in great shape when I got here, right? But not so. It was always dry and frizzy. Lots of split ends, and never, never any shine. I only shampooed and conditioned every 3 days. So what the heck?!
So then I found LHC, thank goodness. Learned about OILS, oh my gosh, oils for the hair: coconut, castor, olive, argan. Tangle Teezer! Satin sleep cap. Vinegar rinse. Scalp massages. CWC. Protective updos (a million thanks to whoever invented the Nautilus bun.) Microfiber towel to BLOT, not rub hair dry. Self-trimming.
And now? Sometimes I look at the shine of my hair and just can't believe it's so satiny looking. I look at my ends, soft and healthy and gently curling. I've stretched to washing only every 5 or 6 days. Honestly, it's like having a brand new head of hair.
I'm so very grateful for this wonderful site and the wise and generous people who have shared all their hair knowledge. It's made a huge difference. LHC forever!

goldloli
January 19th, 2013, 08:02 PM
i just sat here, doing my first single braid in a very long time to try it out for sleeping... my goodness, talk about hair quality!

its thick and silky for about 3/4 of the braid length. the first few inches of new growth are incredibly thick and obvious contrast between the thin damaged layered ends. that's what lhc has done.

TheLuckyLurker
January 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM
When I joined I'd been keeping my hair in a pixie cut for some time, so I was lucky to start with healthy virgin hair. In fact I came to this site specifically because I'd decided to grow my hair out again and wanted to know how to do it [I]right[I]. The last time my hair was this length I was tearing through it with a hard-bristled brush and ripping the pick atatchment of blow dryer through it (seriously; I broke off half the teeth, and sometimes followed that up the next day with a flat iron. And heat protectant? What was that? :)) I know better this time around.

Happytresses
January 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I have been on here for four months. I have learned so much about my hair. I think about my hair when I make certain decisions now. Even what I eat. lol. I am dealing with dandruff issues at this point. I want to use natural remedies because I know that a healthy scalp equals healthy hair. My hair is not as dry as it use to be and it feels more "flexible". I S&D on a regular basis and I haven't trimmed since November. I think that in a few more months my hair will be even healthier. I do my tea rinses once a week so this helps a lot too. LHC has helped my hair journey be more bearable, as well as my hair.

Lostsoule77
January 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
I found this site twice. Once I was looking how to remove black hair dye (a demi that never came out.) I can't recall the second time. I never stayed after reading the posts though. Then I ran across style videos that mentioned this site! Lurked for a bit then joined. I never used permanent dye. Hadn't blow dried my hair since middle school and straightened it about once a year. Was only shampooing about 2 times a week, but with a 2-in-1 and no extra conditioner! When I went to salons for a trim they were always amazed at how healthy my hair was. My hair was TBL, but the ends were still bad and split. I learned to oil and sleep with a braid. Doing S&D and leave in conditioners along with doing a clarifying wash once in awhile. Plus so many beautiful styles! Plus so much more! My hair is now longer, but in so much better condition! This place is priceless for it's information, support, and people!

MasCat
January 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Thanks to LHC I either gave good hair days or Epic hair days. It's epic time today :D