PDA

View Full Version : mid back abyss

lolar
January 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hello, I'm trying to grow my hair back to waist after cutting to chin 2 years ago. I''ve always had long hair so never actually remember growing it before, it was just always long. I'm currently at the awful 'mid back abyss' stage and it feels like it's never going to end. From chin until now when quite quickly but this bit is taking forever! I have about 3 good inches to go yet and I plan to get a trim in that time. Anyone else at this stage or just made it to waist? How long did you have any mini milestones in between to keep you going?

Thanks, Lola

eros
January 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
in for replies. at the same stage, aswell! benign neglect helps ALOT.

bunzfan
January 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Its the worst stage took me about 9 months from BSL to waist.

patienceneeded
January 18th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Same stage, although my ends have finally started to touch waist. I've been here for about a year and have trimmed 3 times to get rid of damage from old chemical dye and straightening iron usage. I would have made it sooner if I had not trimmed so much, but the ends needed it so I'm at peace with the amount of time it has taken. Wearing my hair up consistently and taking length pictures every once in a while has helped with my impatience.

Long_hair_bear
January 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I'm at the same stage too, caught between BSL and waist. What keeps me going? Look in the mirror at your hair and say, "Wow, isn't my hair pretty?!" This may sound vain, but it really helps to remind yourself how pretty your hair really is long and how much prettier it will be as it grows. :)

Carolyn
January 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
It really is an abyss isn't it? I went from almost tailbone to top of BSL over the last year. I'm glad I didn't go clear up to MBL. The bottom of my bra strap is fairly low on my back but I expect it to take me 2 years to get to waist. I usually gain 3" each year with trims. I was so anxious for it to grow last time but this time I really don't care when I get there.

Long_hair_bear
January 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM
It really is an abyss isn't it? I went from almost tailbone to top of BSL over the last year. I'm glad I didn't go clear up to MBL. The bottom of my bra strap is fairly low on my back but I expect it to take me 2 years to get to waist. I usually gain 3" each year with trims. I was so anxious for it to grow last time but this time I really don't care when I get there.

Its is for me. :( The constant, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" in my mind that I try to ignore sounds like Donkey in Shrek 2. I try to just ignore it and let it grow, since a watched pot never boils, but I'm not the patient type and seek instant gratification. :)

dollyfish
January 18th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I'm in the mid back abyss for the first time in my life!! I've always had either a bob or a pixie, so I've never had to deal with this impatience before.

Ugh. Reading LHC both helps and hurts! :lol:

I try to appreciate how nice my hair is now, at this length. It's not that I don't like it, and have some unhealthy expectation that once it gets to my goal length it will suddenly be better, so I try to remind myself that my hair is just fine!

shutterpillar
January 18th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I'm right there with you. I've been hanging out in MBL since September. Hoping to get to waist by the time my 1 year mark of joining LHC rolls around. It's frustrating, thats for sure, but I just try not to think about it.

peacecat3
January 18th, 2013, 02:36 PM
That stage for me has felt like YEARS. It is maybe what separates the longhairs from other lengths. Part of the reason may be, at least for me, due to the fact that my hair is relatively fine and snarls easily. The area between bra strap & waist is where my hair gets snagged under straps, in open car windows, around cabinet drawer pulls when I bend over to grab that pot in the back, and between my back and chair/sofa/etc. I've finally truly began living with my hair up EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. and finally, after forever, feel like I'm making just a little bit of headway past waist, though I know that realistically, I'm closer to TB. It's most helpful to keep it up, not just restrained (like in a braid) but UP, and well moisturized.

That's my :twocents:

lacefrost
January 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM
I agree, it's super frustrating. I think MBL is also the length at which you decide you want better hair quality, so you do more trims than you did at BSL or that you would at waist. Like, once I hit BSL, I decided I really hated my layers and wanted to get rid of them. So even though I was set to hit waist in August, my trims have kept me an inch or two above it. I just got a nice thorough trim last week so I'm now 2 inches away from waist. (sighs) So I'm doing no trims in 2013 with plenty of S&D.

rock007junkie
January 18th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I agree, it's super frustrating. I think MBL is also the length at which you decide you want better hair quality, so you do more trims than you did at BSL or that you would at waist. Like, once I hit BSL, I decided I really hated my layers and wanted to get rid of them. So even though I was set to hit waist in August, my trims have kept me an inch or two above it. I just got a nice thorough trim last week so I'm now 2 inches away from waist. (sighs) So I'm doing no trims in 2013 with plenty of S&D.

I so agree with this. It has taken me FOREVER!!! But that's because I keep trimming to thicken up hemline. I'm not trimming anymore this year. Wanna see how much it'll grow

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I'm at bsl I'm heading to mbl. I hope it goes quicker then the apl to bsl.

rtree721
January 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I totally know how it feels to be stuck in the abyss. I only just got out of it. It took me 1 year and half to go from bsl to waist. It doesn't help that from my neck to my waist is long and from my waist to my hips is super short.

Lunadriael
January 18th, 2013, 05:48 PM
I've been stuck here for ages too. My hair is so fine and splits really easily. I forgot to do anything at all to it for 7 months and then I noticed all the damage, so in the process of trimming it off I haven't got anywhere! I'm really hoping I can get to waist, as I've never had my hair that long before and it would be awesome. :) It's just really hard to tell whether I should accept that my ends are going to wrap around themselves constantly and be a little bit damaged, or whether I'm ruining my chances by not trimming it. Most people say it takes about a year to get to waist from BSLish though, so I am probably being impatient and need to sit it out. I've been tying it up more and got a hairnet to sleep in, so hopefully that will help things along. ^-^

hanne jensen
January 19th, 2013, 04:51 AM
MBL is an abyss for me too. I've been here for 2 years. All of 2012 I maintained my length to get rid of old damage. It seems that at MBL my hair is super fragile. I'm hoping that I'll reach waist in another 3 months. Hopefully I won't need to do any major chops this year.

alexis917
January 19th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I just got an inch and a half trimmed off of my hair,
and it's still an inch and a half past BSL.
My short term goal is waist, and I had no idea it was this long- my hair dresser blow dries it,
which is damaging, I know, but I like to see what the cut looks like before I leave the salon!
I have ultra thick hair, and I've given up on blowdrying it myself.

Micayla47
January 19th, 2013, 10:46 AM
i'm in mid-back abyss and i've been here many many times. in fact, this is the longest i've had my hair in my whole life because i never have the patience to wait it out. this is the point where i always cut, perm, dye, bleach, whatever. that was before lhc. this time i'm going to tough it out and get to waist. in my mind long hair begins at waist, so that's my first goal.

gibsongirl71
January 19th, 2013, 11:49 AM
uggggg... I am in the abyss too. My hair is too long for my fave tails up style, but at bsl thanks to the thickness I can't do a fig 8 bun yet. Boo! I can do a nice french braid tho. I did the math and I should make waist by October of this year. I think I will try for TB length after I reach waist. We shall see..

Rocket22
January 19th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Worst stage yet! but I figured I just hit a stall because all the other stages went well... but I did finally get there, but we will see how long for the wl to tb. ugh.... hang in there it will happen :)

lapushka
January 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM
I think the best thing to do is to find an updo that you like, that you can stick to daily so you won't notice any of it. Did the trick for me!

sunnydee92
January 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM
This is where I am as well! It's such an awkward stage, haha. Can't wait until my hair is waist and beyond :D Happy growing!

Aveyronnaise
January 20th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I'm here right now as well I was almost at waist but then I had to have a trim . I am about to start working full time so hopefully I'll have to put it up and forget about it until it gets waist and beyond arrrgg.

ZenaZoo
January 20th, 2013, 02:36 PM
I'm floating around waist, depends if I'm having a short hair day or a long one, either way I'm just about there.
I have a short waist, luckily! But I feel around butt crack length will be my goal at the moment,no like it at waist, but because I have a hi waist, it doesn't look right, to me anyways, people always say oh wow, look at your hair, how much it's grown, but that's usually only cause I rarely have it down and they see it drying for best part of a day.
I like the feel of it on my back more so if its that length I won't have to push my head back =)
Happy growing :hifive:

gillybeanxo3921
January 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I've been stuck here for a while. Blah it sucks.

Loveisaverb
January 20th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Currently been here for 6+ months, trying not to measure so much anymore but bleh, waist here I come.

dollyfish
January 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I found my own personal solution to the mid back abyss! :cheese:

I'm growing out my bangs, and I've found that forgetting about the length of my hair and focusing on the length of my bangs helps me feel better. The mile stones are small and frequent! For example, the shortest part of my bangs passed the bottom of my nose this month, and the longest part of my bangs is ~1 cm past the bottom of my ear! Woohoo! Feels like progress ;)

Audhumla
January 20th, 2013, 03:48 PM
My mid-back abyss stage has been made all the more painful by a 6 month complete stall in growth that started at BSL the day I got a haircut back in May -_-
I think I can safely attribute this stall to the thinning that was done on my ends because my fringe grew at least 4 inches in those 6 months.
Note to self never go to the hairdresser when tired because you will agree to have your ends thinned.
So I've been growing from BSL for about 8 months and gained approx 2" on my length in that time and I've got 3" to go.
It feels like forever but I've distracted myself by paying attention to the condition of my hair so when I get to waist I can enjoy it.
I did have one really nice mini-milestone the other day though when I was hugging my DBF he put his arms around my waist while we were hugging and there was a good 2" of hair being pressed against my back under his arm ^_^
I was really happy but I didn't say anything in case he thought I was a crazy lady who was more excited by her hair than her sweetheart lol

Ligeia_13
January 22nd, 2013, 07:22 AM
Well, I've been at the same length for about...6+ months now!

faellen
January 22nd, 2013, 09:42 AM
I am also at the abyss and it feels like I've been here forever! I'm quite high waisted but I feel that I can't truly call my hair waist length yet, as I have a quite deep u-shaped hemline and even though the tip of it just about reaches waist, I just don't feel quite "there" yet!

Sharysa
January 22nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
I totally feel everyone's pain.

I'm at mid-back length, but since my torso is so short, most of my other milestones were only a few inches away and now I'm in that "GROW FASTER PLZ" stage. I need half a foot to reach waist-length while straight, and then I need eight to ten inches to reach waist-length while wavy.

And since it's winter, my hair growth has slowed WAY down. I've only gotten an inch of hair in the past couple months.

Katleen
January 23rd, 2013, 07:30 AM
I totally understand... Right now I seem to be stuck around BSL. Not completely there yet, only my longest layer. Since I have a high waist, it will take me less time to go from BSL to waist, than from APL to BSL, I hope... It's been about 10 months now I think, but I did have a fairly big trim a few months ago, where I lost about two inches in length. I figured nothing would take me as long as from shoulder to APL, but I'm feeling waist is still a very long way to go :rolleyes:

Wearing my hair up as much as I can, taking good care of it and hoping the cold nasty weather will soon be over, that 's all I can do for the moment...

chen bao jun
January 23rd, 2013, 07:34 AM
I wish I would get to the mid-back abyss! I'm JEALOUS of you guys lol

Rosetta
January 23rd, 2013, 07:38 AM
LOL, I feel like I've been in the mid back abyss for most of my life!! Or, before I learned to take better care of my hair, it was rather "around BSL abyss"... Luckily I don't have any specific goals these days, so I don't really mind ;)