PDA

View Full Version : Oily scalp help!

IndigoOptimist
January 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Ok, here's the long and short of it: I try to only wash every 3-4 days. However, after 1 day my roots start to look really oily and by day 2 they feel awful, but my length is still fine for another 2 days. I use dry shampoo (or baby powder if I run out) to make it look better, but it still means that after the first day I can't wear it down if I want to and have to cover it in dry shampoo. This is also a problem because of work, even if it's up you can still see that my roots are a bit greasy and my boss keeps telling me I need to wash my hair before every shift because it looks dirty!
I've tried only washing my scalp with shampoo and coating the rest in conditioner, but I still end up with dry ends and then after day 1 the roots for greasy again!
I've tried CO and it doesn't work for me. It's ok for the odd one off, but not for long term.
I'm so annoyed by this that I've blogged about it, there are pictures there too if you want to see and maybe a little more info/ranting, depending on how you look at it. http://indigo-optimist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/scalp-grease-problems.html

Does/has anyone else had this problem and how did it deal with it? I'd like to have a less oily scalp, but I cannot think of anyway to stop my head from producing oil haha!

Mucho thanks for your help!!

renia22
January 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hi IndigoOptimist- Wish I could give you a miracle product, but I have yet to find one myself. I have the type of oily-at-roots hair that looks terrible if I don't wash it daily. I do find that lemon shampoos are good (Lush makes one), as are nettle or rosemary rinses. I've also been using pure aloe/ rosemary essential oil on my scalp nightly and wash it out the next morning, and I've noticed by the second morning my scalp does not look as oily. Not good enough to skip a wash unless I am just lounging around the house, though. But it does seem that rosemary is very clarifying/ toning on the scalp.

IndigoOptimist
January 17th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Thank you, I'll have a look into rosemary then!
My boyfriends dad drinks nettle tea, I might have to steal some for an experiment :p

renia22
January 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have tried nettle tea before on my scalp and liked it. Klorane also makes a nettle shampoo for oily hair, you might be able to find it in the UK (not sold here in the US but I've shipped it over from Bulgaria before). Good luck!

summerstarlet
January 17th, 2013, 05:13 PM
You said in your blog post that you put conditioner all over your head. Does that include your scalp? If it does, that could be why your hair is getting greasy so quickly. I wash my hair every other day and it's recently been able to go to every three days so. If you're conditioning the scalp as well, then try only conditioning from about the nape of your neck or ears down. That will cut down on the amount of conditioner on your scalp. Good luck :)

bunnylake
January 17th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I have the same problem which is why I usually wash my hair daily. You might just have to start doing that. You could look into scalp-only washes, or wash every other day at least.
For me, switching to sulfate-free shampoo has helped to calm my scalp's oil production. Also, using much less conditioner is helping. Somehow even if I just use it from the ears down, my scalp gets greasy fast. Now I use it ONLY on the last couple of inches of my ends. Try NOT conditioning your whole head. It might feel weird doing it/as it's drying, but you might like the results. Also try skipping out on oils and cones.

IndigoOptimist
January 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM
You said in your blog post that you put conditioner all over your head. Does that include your scalp? If it does, that could be why your hair is getting greasy so quickly. I wash my hair every other day and it's recently been able to go to every three days so. If you're conditioning the scalp as well, then try only conditioning from about the nape of your neck or ears down. That will cut down on the amount of conditioner on your scalp. Good luck :)
I have thought about doing that, but some of my layers are only shoulder length and I don't want to not condition them. I may try that though and see how they go. Thank you!

IndigoOptimist
January 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I have the same problem which is why I usually wash my hair daily. You might just have to start doing that. You could look into scalp-only washes, or wash every other day at least.
For me, switching to sulfate-free shampoo has helped to calm my scalp's oil production. Also, using much less conditioner is helping. Somehow even if I just use it from the ears down, my scalp gets greasy fast. Now I use it ONLY on the last couple of inches of my ends. Try NOT conditioning your whole head. It might feel weird doing it/as it's drying, but you might like the results. Also try skipping out on oils and cones.

I tried come free conditioners, my hair went mad: static, frizzy and dry... I do use a sulfate-free shampoo bar, and it has helped. I think I will try not to condition my whole head and see what happens, it just feels so wrong!

turtlelover
January 17th, 2013, 05:59 PM
I suggest a very light spray leave-in conditioner rather than a heavier one. My favorite super light one is Matrix Instacure -- extremely light and non-greasy, but still adds some slip and protection. Aussie's leave-in isn't actually half bad either. Just keep the spray on the ends where you really need it.

lapushka
January 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I have oily hair, and the only thing that does any good -for me- is washing with the harshest shampoos possible, such as Herbal Essences, or Pantene, washing the scalp twice, then applying conditioner (to the lengths) twice.

Bagginslover
January 18th, 2013, 02:28 AM
I've found my grease level is very dependant on how I apply my conditioner. I have layers too, so to avoid my scalp I either tip my head way back in the shower, and apply it away from my head to the hair that hangs, or I part it down the middle right to the back (af if making double ponytails) and hang my head sideways and do each side seperatly. These ways I ensure my layers get good treatment, but that my scalp is missed completely, even when applying higher up. Just remember to rinse with your head hanging too, or the conditioner will just run onto your scalp anyway ;)

ravenreed
January 18th, 2013, 02:36 AM
The only way I have been able to stretch my washes to every other day is to go CO. I wouldn't go longer than that because by then my roots are greasy and my ends are dry. If I CO every other day, both are happy.

ETA: When I CO, I go right down to the scalp. It removes the oils from my hair without over-stripping. Over-stripping leads to me having rebound oiliness; my hair used to be an oil slick within 24 hours.

IndigoOptimist
January 18th, 2013, 02:44 AM
I've found my grease level is very dependant on how I apply my conditioner. I have layers too, so to avoid my scalp I either tip my head way back in the shower, and apply it away from my head to the hair that hangs, or I part it down the middle right to the back (af if making double ponytails) and hang my head sideways and do each side seperatly. These ways I ensure my layers get good treatment, but that my scalp is missed completely, even when applying higher up. Just remember to rinse with your head hanging too, or the conditioner will just run onto your scalp anyway ;)
Don't know why I haven't thought of that to be honest! It's a good idea, I may have to try that! Thank you :)

IndigoOptimist
January 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
The only way I have been able to stretch my washes to every other day is to go CO. I wouldn't go longer than that because by then my roots are greasy and my ends are dry. If I CO every other day, both are happy.

ETA: When I CO, I go right down to the scalp. It removes the oils from my hair without over-stripping. Over-stripping leads to me having rebound oiliness; my hair used to be an oil slick within 24 hours.

I think if I did CO everyday it would work for me, but I just don't have time to wash my hair everyday. Because of the hours I work, some nights I only have 6 hours before I have t be back in work, so not washing everyday means an extra hour of sleep, which really helps when you're only having 4-5 hours a night ;)