PDA

View Full Version : Wood comb recommendations...?

Elithia
January 17th, 2013, 10:27 AM
So I am a 3a girl and for the last seven years or so I have been CO and avoided brushes or combs. I do my detangling with my fingers when my hair is full of conditioner. This has worked pretty well for me and I've never had a tangling problem, but my hair has been anywhere between chin-length to hip and back again (twice) in those seven years.

Now I'm growing out for the third time, and ever since I passed tailbone (the longest ever) this finger-combing thing just isn't working anymore. I can't get enough conditioner in for it to provide all the slip for me. I am wearing my hair up every day and braiding at night, but this morning I woke up with it matted at the nape of my neck for the umpteenth time this month -- it's serious escape artist hair and the braid just isn't doing the work for me.

Having not combed for 7 years I am completely at a loss as to where to look. I'd like something wood and really wide-toothed and not too expensive (of course. But I am on a very tight budget right now).

Thanks for your help, guys :)

Seeshami
January 17th, 2013, 11:08 AM
I love my body shop wooden comb, but I would recommend a horn comb too.

kittengirl
January 17th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Body shop vote here too! I love it!

Vrindi
January 17th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Body shop or Whole Foods is where I got my bamboo comb. $8.

Long_hair_bear
January 17th, 2013, 03:44 PM
body shop here four!

Elithia
January 17th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Wow, sound like a consensus. :) thanks everyone!

patchoulilove
January 25th, 2013, 08:40 PM
I'm planning on investing in a body shop wooden comb, but last time I was there I noticed the inner "seams" of the comb seemed rough. Is there an initial sanding of the comb that has to be done, or have you ladies been able to use the comb as is? :o

To me, the comb appears as if it might be more rough on hair than a plastic wide tooth. Is there a risk of snagging worse than plastic? I know that a lot of the incentive with natural combs is for oil distribution. Just wondering if anyone has observed cons of using a wood wide teeth v. plastic.
:hmm:

Peace~

Sharysa
January 25th, 2013, 09:17 PM
With a good wooden comb, it should already have been sanded well enough. If you have to ask us about sanding, you shouldn't buy it.

patchoulilove
January 25th, 2013, 10:18 PM
So maybe these body shop wooden combs are no longer manufactured the same way. Bummer. I'll have to look for one at whole foods sometime.

Seeshami
January 25th, 2013, 11:17 PM
They must not be, mine was completely smooth when I purchased it. I have also seen them randomly and rarely at Sally's Beauty Supply. Ulta may also have them.

patchoulilove
January 25th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I didn't think about Ulta. Worth a look anyway. Thank you :)

Seeshami
January 26th, 2013, 12:03 AM
No problem. I am sorry body shop changed theirs. I hope they still carry my favorite paddle brush, I should probably go in and get a spare if they do while I still can.

zombi
January 26th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Yet another old Body Shop wooden comb user here... I've had mine for years. Bummer to hear about some inner seam now??

Mischamiu
January 26th, 2013, 04:07 AM
I just bought a wooden comb last summer from The Body Shop... I personally really like it

MissAlida
January 26th, 2013, 04:48 AM
I don't have any american shops where I live, but I did find bamboo wooden combs in several chinese shops. They are very very cheap, and well sanded. Just saying. If you don't find one anywhere else.

Nique1202
January 26th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I'm planning on investing in a body shop wooden comb, but last time I was there I noticed the inner "seams" of the comb seemed rough. Is there an initial sanding of the comb that has to be done, or have you ladies been able to use the comb as is?

I haven't noticed any problems on the Body Shop comb I got a few weeks ago. The spaces between the tines have a couple of tiiiiny little splinter-like bits, but they've never snagged on my hair, and I haven't noticed any damage. They aren't even big enough to damage a tissue run through the tines! I'm sure they'll work themselves out over time with the conditioner and oil they're exposed to from my hair. Are you sure it wasn't just one or two particularly poorly made combs in the store you went to? Maybe if you asked them to see if there are any smoother combs in stock next time you're there.

Zindell
January 26th, 2013, 07:07 AM
I adore my Body Shop wooden combs and have a couple of them spread allover my house and in my purse. Getting those was one of the best investments for the health of my hair ever!
:crush:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Zizywa/the-body-shop-detangling-comb_zps633811c5-1_zps52027c13.jpg

czech it out
January 26th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I'm planning on investing in a body shop wooden comb, but last time I was there I noticed the inner "seams" of the comb seemed rough. Is there an initial sanding of the comb that has to be done, or have you ladies been able to use the comb as is? :o

To me, the comb appears as if it might be more rough on hair than a plastic wide tooth. Is there a risk of snagging worse than plastic? I know that a lot of the incentive with natural combs is for oil distribution. Just wondering if anyone has observed cons of using a wood wide teeth v. plastic.
:hmm:

Peace~

I had the same problem with my Body Shop comb (purchased online this past summer). In my estimation, the splinters were more hazardous to my hair than the seams of the cheap plastic comb I had used before. I had to sand the new comb with multiple types of sandpaper, and there are STILL a few stubborn splinters. I would suggest paying a bit more for a better product - I wish I had.

GrowingGlory
January 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I used to love my wooden detangling comb from The Body Shop. Then, suddenly, when Summer turned to Autumn, it became a drying, frizz-producing menace. Other than that, it has been great. Maybe I'll try it again this Summer. But it is smooth and generally hair friendly other than that. They sell for only $2 on TBS website, too. HTH.

silverthread
January 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM
I purchased mine from Sally. Very smooth. I "washed" it once by boiling it, and the top part shrunk, but then expanded again. No snags, no rough edges.

Olavi
January 27th, 2013, 01:33 AM
I bought my hair combs from Etsy; one with bit wider gabs, one with tiny gabs and reversible for my mom. Seller was epstone. Not only are they beautiful, but they also make my hair feel good. And tiny gabbed removes the dust very well.

I also have Body Shop comb, but I didn't like it that much. I won't get rid of it though, because it may be more usefull when my hair is longer :)