PDA

View Full Version : Need a styling product - cone-free, moderate hold, nourishing? UK LHCer.

finzi
January 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Hi all

Can anyone recommend something please? I style my hair in pin curls and want something with a moderate (i.e. not rock hard, needs to be a little softer and flexible) hold, preferably cone free and something that will protect/nourish the hair a little. It may be that I need to compromise and rely on a leave-in conditioner for the nourishing element and if you think that's the case feel free to tell me! I've been using a spray by Naked Naturals (their Heat Defender spray) but as my hair gets longer I think I need something more... well, more nourishing! I find that the Heat Defender spray can leave my hair the teensiest bit crunchy and difficult to comb/brush out.

I use Original Sprout shampoo which I think is relatively gentle, and I only use cones if they are quite easy to remove (amino-cones, PEG-cones etc). So it doesn't have to be entirely cone-free as long as they're fairly well-behaved cones.

Any ideas please? FWIW, I'm in the UK, but am open to the idea of having to buy something from overseas. Depends on price etc. Obviously a product that I can buy here would be ideal!

:flowers:

sarelis
January 17th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Maybe try some aloe vera gel? I'm not sure if it will have enough hold for pin curls, but it's hair friendly :)

Oksana
January 17th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I mix boots pink curl creme with conditioner as a leave in. It gives nice defined waves that aren't crunchy and dry and holds my curlformer curls for longer.

lapushka
January 17th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Eco Styler gel is quite good (alcohol free, silicone-free). Lovely product. There's also LA Looks gel, but that has a harder hold. Besides those, I use the IC Fantasia gel, also alcohol free, but it does have silicones. Got all of those through ebay.

renia22
January 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM
How about Aubrey Organics B5 Design gel..is that available in the UK?

tigereye
January 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
I use aloe vera gel when I do sock-bun curls. I buy the double strength aloe vera gel from Holland and Barrett (origonally bought it for a very sore sunburn (yes, I get burnt in Scotland :rolleyes: )). I just dilute it in a little water in a spray bottle and spritz on my hair before I put it into the bun to curl it. Using it straight turns it hind of hard - like using a regular hair gel might, but diluting it seems to avoid the problem, while still letting it hold. Otherwise, have you tried diluting a cone-free conditioner and spritzing it on?:)

finzi
January 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Wow, thanks for all the ideas! TBH I didn't expect to get much of a response - I thought I was asking too much ;) I'll have a hunt around, order a couple and start experimenting. Am utterly bewildered by the vast array of different Eco Styler gels, but they're so cheap I guess it doesn't matter!

I like the idea of mixing a gel with a leave-in conditioner/curl cream, sounds promising.

Thank you all so much!

melusine963
January 21st, 2013, 06:39 AM
I mix boots pink curl creme with conditioner as a leave in. It gives nice defined waves that aren't crunchy and dry and holds my curlformer curls for longer.

Is it mixing in the conditiner that avoids the crunchiness? I tried some pink curl creme once on its own, and it was definitely crunchy. I'd like to give it another go if I can avoid this problem.

Oksana
January 21st, 2013, 06:50 AM
Is it mixing in the conditiner that avoids the crunchiness? I tried some pink curl creme once on its own, and it was definitely crunchy. I'd like to give it another go if I can avoid this problem.

Yes I would think so. I use it on soaking wet hair (straight out the shower) and you only need a tiny amount of the curl creme. I literally dip one finger in pot and what is on my finger is all I use.

melusine963
January 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM
Yes I would think so. I use it on soaking wet hair (straight out the shower) and you only need a tiny amount of the curl creme. I literally dip one finger in pot and what is on my finger is all I use.

Thanks for the tip! I'm glad I didn't get rid of my curl creme tub. I'll see if I have better luck following your advice. :)

Tota
January 22nd, 2013, 02:27 AM
I also suggest aloe vera gel. If it doesn't work you can still use it for SMT treatments or for you skin ;)

finzi
February 22nd, 2013, 02:53 AM
I've been experimenting with various Naked products over the last few weeks and my Eco Styler gels (Olive Oil and Extra Protein) arrived this morning. Still not sure how suitable the Naked products are but that's because I'm struggling to style my hair now that it's longer. It was about chin-length when I started styling with pin curls and now I'm at BSL I'm trying to adapt my style. Fingers crossed...