PDA

View Full Version : Buns for layered waist length? Plus a stick question.

Bagginslover
January 17th, 2013, 06:18 AM
My hair has just hit waist (yay!!) but I am still stuck doing the same old boring bun everyday (its my own modified cinnabun, it may have a real name, but I just stumbled on it one day and its great!).
My shortest full layer is about APL, with face framing layers going as short as an inch or so below chin (I'm keeping my face framers, but plan to grow out the canopy layers).
Any ideas for some different looking buns I can do? I use sticks, Fakearres (can't afford a real one ;) ) and amish pins.

Also, I always wear my sticks horizontally, as if I position them vertically, the end catches in my nape hairs and pulls. It really hurts and either pulls out hairs, or snaps them. I know lots of you wear vertical sticks, how do you position them so they dont catch?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :o

Fortresca
January 17th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Is your hair very thick, so you can'T do other buns?
I'm between hip and tailbione, but the shortest layers are about APL. I do so many buns, I just twist or braid them, so the layers won't stick out so much.

Vertical sticks I only wear in high buns or hairstyles, that bring a lot of hair between Stick and head, like Figure8 or French Pinless.

Long_hair_bear
January 17th, 2013, 07:48 AM
For horizontal sticks, I like the Chinese bun, braided and unbraided. For X sticks, I like the woven bun. :)

jojo
January 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Nautilus, Gibraltar , equalibrium, braided bun, rose bun lots of different ones for waist length hair! You can place the sticks where you want with these too!

torrilin
January 17th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Depending on your thickness, you should be able to do a knot or Celtic knot bun. A knot bun is EXACTLY as simple as it sounds, and a Celtic knot is a slip knot instead of a "plain" knot. You can twist your hair or not before you tie it in a knot, it all depends on your preference. I prefer not, but my layers are all natural layers from my shed/regrowth cycle. I know plenty of other folks prefer at least some twisting for these buns. Knot buns have been hairstyle of the month before, so there's a pretty detailed thread on them.

Both sorts of buns will fasten with damn near any hair toy known to humankind, and in curlier hair, they will sometimes hold with no fastening at all.

spirals
January 18th, 2013, 02:17 AM
My favorite is the orcid bun you make using the stick. I have to section it because it is too thick to have enough tail to wrap around the base. It's my go-to, but I can do a figure-eight or infinity if, again, I section my hair. Something I think is pretty and secure is an english braid you wrap into a cinnabun or bee-butt and then deconstruct (pull loops this way and that to make it bigger and messier). It can be held wth a stick. I generally prefer messy buns, as I have loose curls.