PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of braiding

Bambi
January 17th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Hi everybody!
I have started to braid my hair almost daily(atleast every night when I sleep) and I'm wondering more about the benefits you have noticed in the over all quality of your hair. Apart from minimizing tangles:).
Thanks!

jacqueline101
January 17th, 2013, 02:50 AM
I don't know why braids help hair they just do. The braid waves are neat too.

ZenaZoo
January 17th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I braid my hair at night, I can see the length is easier to manage in the mornings, but around my nape, it gets all loose and looks as though it's breaking, I get whispy bits from around neck length, this has only started since. Braided at night, even a high braid,

An suggestions?

Bambi
January 17th, 2013, 03:23 AM
I sleep with two braids, seem to be working fine but I'm not sure..hopefully someone has a good answer to your question^.

melusine963
January 17th, 2013, 03:46 AM
For me, braiding at night is only to reduce tangles (and the resulting breakage when I de-tangle) and to stop my hair from strangling me in my sleep. Having a long braid is also great for quickly checking the hairs that stick out for splits every night, since I don't always have time to do a proper s&d.

Astraea
January 17th, 2013, 04:04 AM
My hair is able to hold moisture much longer in braids than when out and though my hair doesn't normally experience much end or mid-shaft breakage (unless my diet is lousy), braiding makes it virtually non-existent.

natt i nord
January 17th, 2013, 04:45 AM
I braid my hair at night, I can see the length is easier to manage in the mornings, but around my nape, it gets all loose and looks as though it's breaking, I get whispy bits from around neck length, this has only started since. Braided at night, even a high braid,

An suggestions?
Did you try to make a (low) ponytail first and braid the ponytail? My hair is very fine and smooth and because of that I have the same problem as you with any kind of braid, even at daytime. Some shorter parts always slip out of the braid.
With a ponytail first everything holds in place, at least while I'm wearing a braid at daytime.

Alexblue
January 17th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I have noticed much less breakage after braiding at night. Many people use topknots when they sleep to also prevent tangles but my hair is pretty delicate and I noticed breakage after awhile where the topknot was positioned. I also don't use an elastic at the end of the braid. My hair unravels an inch or so by the morning but nothing to produce tangles.

Bagginslover
January 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM
I can't sleep in a topknot- my roots hate being pulled that way, and when I let it down and restyle it the next day I have a sore scalp. So I braid at night. Sometimes the waves are undesireable, but if I know I don't want them, I'll sleep with a t-shirt over my hair instead to help prevent tangles.

Fortresca
January 17th, 2013, 06:03 AM
My hair is able to hold moisture much longer in braids than when out and though my hair doesn't normally experience much end or mid-shaft breakage (unless my diet is lousy), braiding makes it virtually non-existent.

I expierience exactly the same. My hair is never better then when braided at least for 24houres. Soft, silky, wavy, beautiful.

Lightningfury
January 17th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I love braids and ever since I went to the renaissance faire and brought this book from the lady who does the fancy braids there I love it even more. *rolls eyes* Why do I always sound like an advertisement when I try to tell people about something kewl.

Anyway it's braid your own hair by Karen Ribble.
I think she has a website but any way there were lots of braiding techniques and patterns in there that were really kewl. Like the dutch crown, and upside down braids and it's really been helpful.

I'm wearing a dutch braid this morning. Dutch braids are when the braid seems to sit on top of the hair instead of the inside pattern of the French braid which is more common where I'm at.

Madora
January 17th, 2013, 09:05 AM
I've been wearing braids for a good many years and find they are excellent for minimizing tangles. Also, they're so versatile that you're never out of ideas on what to do with your hair. Braiding is a great way to protect your strands, provided you do not pull the braids tightly and are careful to remove the end elastics carefully (i.e. not just pull 'em off). Also, it helps to vary the placement of said bands. If your hair is long enough, you can dispense with bands all together.

QMacrocarpa
January 17th, 2013, 08:45 PM
In addition to tangle-prevention (the biggie for me), I like the way overnight braids sort of calm my natural curl. I don't secure the end of my sleeping braid anymore, mine doesn't unravel much. I find the act of braiding rather soothing too, so a nice before-bed thing to do at the end of the day.

rock007junkie
January 17th, 2013, 09:08 PM
To me braids hold moisture better. I also like the fact that it is easier to style in the morning.

berr
January 17th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I like the way braids hold in moisture. However, I don't like the way the very ends get really dry. I find it better to keep my hair up.

Sharysa
January 17th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Echoing the experience that braids cut down on tangles and hold in moisture. Although sometimes waking up with still-damp hair isn't a good thing for me.

Seeshami
January 18th, 2013, 12:00 AM
My Mommy dearest swears, absolutely SWEARS, that it helps hair grow faster. Proof has yet to be established but she has sworn it for as long as I can remember.

I braid my hair all the time because I can't imagine the torture and havoc a free Naughty Mess would cause. I already know he will immediately hold me hostage if I go into work, so many wonderful things to get stuck to.

Milui Elenath
January 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Apart from the moisture holding which I echo as well :) braiding is a natural way of preening the hair, smoothing the natural oils down the shaft - well it is the way I do it. I know my hair would be a lot happier if I braided it more and it is definitely better for sleep for me than a top not. I just need to remember to make the time for one (or more) of a morning.

sharonluvscats
January 19th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I love braids! I wear a Dutch braid pretty much every day. It's not a very common look around here so I get compliments sometimes. I love the braid waves I get from them too. My hair doesn't have a lot of volume and tends to just sit there looking all flat. Braid waves give my hair a ton of volume. My braid is long enough now that I can hit people with it. This is a lot of fun!

JadeTigress
January 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
This just occurred to me while I was getting dinner last night:

I've always had a lot of hair until recently (past shoulder by the time I was a year old and classic by the time I was five), and until I got old enough to do my own hair, my mom kept it in a braid every day.

I think I need to start braiding my hair again.

chen bao jun
January 20th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I pretty much HAVE to braid my hair, especially after washing, or the tangles kill me and also I burst out all over with single strand knots. Braiding also stretches out my curls. I'm not sure of my hair type (3b?3c?4a? or some combination) but when I wash it it shrinks up almost to my ears. When I braid it right after washing, its below my shoulders when I undo it--long enough to put in buns and updos, which I can't do otherwise. (Its armpit length stretched). Anyway, braiding keeps it under control and keeps the ends moisturized (I tuck them into the braids). Don't know if this makes sense, but its pretty much impossible to manage unbraided and behaves very well once it's been braided, I don't know why.

Luminaria
January 21st, 2013, 01:03 AM
I've been braiding my hair in small braids for the past 2 weeks, and it has reduced tangles and the need to detangle.

Luminaria
January 21st, 2013, 01:08 AM
I pretty much HAVE to braid my hair, especially after washing, or the tangles kill me and also I burst out all over with single strand knots. Braiding also stretches out my curls. I'm not sure of my hair type (3b?3c?4a? or some combination) but when I wash it it shrinks up almost to my ears. When I braid it right after washing, its below my shoulders when I undo it--long enough to put in buns and updos, which I can't do otherwise. (Its armpit length stretched). Anyway, braiding keeps it under control and keeps the ends moisturized (I tuck them into the braids). Don't know if this makes sense, but its pretty much impossible to manage unbraided and behaves very well once it's been braided, I don't know why. Same here! I'm soo tangle-prone and single strand knot-prone! It seems like I can't leave my hair loose without it turning into a lion. BTW, We seem to have similar hair type

karenpetal
January 21st, 2013, 01:39 AM
Echoing comments - braids hold moisture, avoid tangles, braid waves for night wear
Great to keep hair out of face and looks good for outdoor activities
French and dutch braid look kewl .....

NoRush
January 21st, 2013, 05:34 AM
I braid to sleep to minimize damage, french braid is my favorite, I don't move at night and my hair is (so far at APL) pretty much tangle free all the time, I don't like the waves because I don't have any taper so my tassel leaves the dreades straight ends. As for during the day, they're a life saver in a windy city like mine, for working out and with the work I do (paramedic) they keep hair neat and out of the way. I love them :)

faellen
January 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM
I braid my hair most nights. I used to just leave it loose but since braiding I find it is less tangled in the mornings.

I won't braid it if I want to wear my hair loose the next day though, as I dislike how braid waves look as it is still straight at the top. If that makes sense?

chen bao jun
January 21st, 2013, 09:59 AM
I braid my hair most nights. I used to just leave it loose but since braiding I find it is less tangled in the mornings.

I won't braid it if I want to wear my hair loose the next day though, as I dislike how braid waves look as it is still straight at the top. If that makes sense?
Dutch braid (cornrow) to solve this problem.

Vijikanth
January 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
After much difficulty learnt braiding and now its almost my default style. But when I go out I wear a ponytail. Sleeping style is surely a neat english braid...:)

SouthernBelleUS
January 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
High winds in wintertime reek havoc with your hair here on Long Island! Picture Medusa.... Braids & braided buns keep the hair out of your face, keep it from catching on your jacket, seatbelt & husband's elbow, and keep it from whipping into an EF5 Medusa tornado above my head while getting into the car or walking into a store from the car. ;)

Just bought some pretty Indian parandas on e-bay! *Oh Boy!* The male unit (DM?) is from Bombay, India; and, although I'm just a white chick, I can get away with them. Now I need to follow Arrow's tutorial & make home made paranda! :)

I need to learn to french braid my own hair now too....

Vrindi
January 21st, 2013, 03:40 PM
Just bought some pretty Indian parandas on e-bay! *Oh Boy!* The male unit (DM?) is from Bombay, India; and, although I'm just a white chick, I can get away with them. Now I need to follow Arrow's tutorial & make home made paranda! :)

Hehe! I'm as anglo-eurepean looking as you can get, and I wear Indian styles all the time. You should see the looks I get when I wear a sari!

As for braids, my go-to hairstyle (if I have one— I change it up a lot) is a long, loose english braid. The front pieces always slip out sometime during the day. When I workout or climb, it's usually in some kind of "battle braid," as my husband calls it. I love fishtail braids. Even when my fine hair frizzes out of them, they're still pretty. Braids are an easy way to make any bun look so much more complicated than it actually is too.

For sleeping, I tend to braid my hair or sleep in a loose top knot with spin pins. when it's braided, I find that pigtail braids keep the little shorter ends at the nape of my neck from escaping and getting tangled. Also, braided pigtails are my hairstyle of choice when I'm camping. Or if I'm going to be spending a long time traveling and not a lot of chances to freshen up. They look cute, they keep it tangle-free, and disguise the fact that you may have gone several days without a shower.

longcurlygirl<3
January 21st, 2013, 03:44 PM
I mostly braid for tangles, since these curls are be crazy!Also to maintain moisture and in a way protects my hair.

faellen
January 22nd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Dutch braid (cornrow) to solve this problem.

Just can't do this on my own hair. Tried and failed.

long-hair-lover
January 22nd, 2013, 07:11 AM
I started braiding my hair about 8 months ago each night before I went to bed and slept in it (wet or dry) and my hair is soft, shiny and detangle free when I get up. Before I was doing this, my hair got all knotted up and matted at the back of my hair making each hair shaft feel rough from when I was moving in my sleep (especially if my hair was wet). Then when I would try to brush it, I would lose lots of hair and I could hear it breaking.

I found out about braiding my hair before bed from LHC and I am so glad I did, out of everything I have discovered on here, this is by far the best tip to help grow healthy long hair:o

Bambi
January 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your kind and informative replies! My night-time "ritual" is now to first comb my hair(with a wide-toothed comb) and then slowly brush my hair with my bbb. I allow myself to take as long time as I need and just try to relax and stay in the present moment, just me and my hair. Then I braid my hair in two pigtails and I'm off to bed. I find that I really look forward to this now as I get both the benefit of trying to take good care of my mane, aswell as practicing mindfulness.

Sharysa
January 22nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
I love braids and ever since I went to the renaissance faire and brought this book from the lady who does the fancy braids there I love it even more. *rolls eyes* Why do I always sound like an advertisement when I try to tell people about something kewl.

Anyway it's braid your own hair by Karen Ribble.

Her website is AWESOME, and I really want to get both of her books. Hopefully after my own laptop's fixed, I'll have money to spare for a birthday gift to myself by March!

monika
January 22nd, 2013, 04:06 PM
I love the waves after overnight braiding. I also like to wear braids during the day.

longforthis
January 22nd, 2013, 04:47 PM
I just started wearing braids (simple english) when I noticed that my hair was becoming damaged to the dry Winter air. I didn't really think of modifying my hair care with the season.

Any tips for the straight ends? lol if I wear my hair down, it seems I have to rewet it again. I guess I could at the ends, but I have curly hair so it might mess up the look of braid waves.

Already I have noticed a difference in moisture! My hair is becoming so soft. I need to start braiding more often. It hurts a lot less than a ponytail, and not as damaging.

Fairlight63
January 22nd, 2013, 05:35 PM
If I braid it & bun it I forget about it. If I just bun it, I am taking it down every few min. & playing with it. It keeps my hands out of my hair, LOL
I think that it also may help it grow faster.

TheMechaGinger
February 5th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I like braids except the ends of my hair seem to get dry in them after a while, especially if I sleep on them. The length stays nice but the end that sticks out from the elastic gets pretty straw-like. So what I do is spray my hair with water at night and then put it into a loose cinnibun on top of my head and secure it with two giant bobby pins. I don't seem to get damage from that and I get the benefits of damp bunning too

Lilli
February 6th, 2013, 07:43 AM
I just do it at night so that I don't have to wake up a bit in order to roll over without trapping my hair somewhere, but I HATE the look of braidwaves - straight on top, wavy in the middle, and then straight at the ends, so I wash it in the morning.

Elina
February 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Did you try to make a (low) ponytail first and braid the ponytail? My hair is very fine and smooth and because of that I have the same problem as you with any kind of braid, even at daytime. Some shorter parts always slip out of the braid.
With a ponytail first everything holds in place, at least while I'm wearing a braid at daytime.

Thanks for the tip, natt i nord, I'll defenitely try that!
I sleep with a braid too, but my hair is very fine and in layers so there are always strands that are loose or slip out of the braid.

silverthread
February 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
My braid is long enough now that I can hit people with it. This is a lot of fun!

My new number one reason for wanting a long-hair braid:joy:

chen bao jun
February 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Just can't do this on my own hair. Tried and failed.
I'm not sure what you mean by failed? couldn't get it done or that it looked lousy?
If it just looked lousy, it doesn't matter just to sleep in.
I would practice making two--one on each side--that way you can see what you're doing. take up three strands at the top of one side, as if you are going to do a little braid. then do one normal pass, and then start catching up a little more hair and adding to each piece as you braid each time. It can really help to use barrettes and clips to keep the hair that you are not braiding out of the way.
Possibly you have slippery straight hair? that's harder to braid. In that case, it works better when your hair is slightly dirty--at least not squeaky clean, if you know what I mean..

Cowgirl16
February 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I do a simple braid in my hair every night and I have done this since my hair was about waist. I find it reduces tangles and my hair choking me (or my DH) in the middle of the night. It also helps to keep moisture in my hair and smooth it out. I will often put shea butter or coconut oil on my hands and run it down my hair prior to braiding making sure to get extra on the ends.