PDA

View Full Version : Hair feels better when damp?

raingirl
January 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM
What does it mean if my hair feels super silky and soft and smooth when damp, but as soon as it completely air dries it doesn't feel as good (dryer, more tangly, etc). Does this mean my hair needs more moisture? Or is everyone's hair like this?

TheMechaGinger
January 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM
My hair is like this too, but I'm not really sure what it means either. I'll be watching in case anyone has any insight :]

thenewstephie
January 16th, 2013, 12:53 PM
My hair does that. I don't know. I always thought it was normal, but it is indeed annoying.. makes me want to walk around with a spray bottle all day just to have that feeling.lol

ratgirldjh
January 16th, 2013, 01:17 PM
My hair does this too! And what is more interesting is that if my hair feels great when wet or damp that it is almost allways the case it is going to be horrible when it finally dires!!!

When my hair feels crunchy, dry and tangly while wet or damp it almost always dries very nice and soft!!!

LOL - silly hair!!!

jacqueline101
January 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I like my ends damp they feel better.

HintOfMint
January 16th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I think when hair dries completely, the moisture that was once in your hair has evaporated, ruffling the cuticle, leaving hair feeling not as nice. I've found a good sealant, like a leave-in conditioner to help as does damp bunning, which compresses the hairshaft a bit.

raingirl
January 17th, 2013, 02:41 PM
So I guess it makes sense then. When the hair is damp, the cuticle is still smoothed down and therefore the hair feels better. As the hair dries, the cuticle raises a bit and it gets fluffy?

PixxieStix
January 17th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I think it might be more of a case where anything that is wet generally feels more slippery, so your hair when damp has water on it, which makes it feel "smoother", but once it dries reveals the true texture. Your cuticle raises when washing, but I do not think that it moves when it is just drying, it's just "glossed over". Have you tried a leave in conditioner, or some of your favorite oil as a leave in? My hair always feels amazing when damp too, but still feels nice dry as long as it's moisturized or has a leave in. The dry winter weather has left it way less nice feeling than normal, but I just up the coconut oil and deep treatments and that is helping immensely!

maborosi
January 17th, 2013, 10:37 PM
See I have a slightly different experience. When I let my hair dry just a little bit, then put oil and butter on it, then sleep on it, it feels way better when it dries. I also sometimes put conditioner on my damp hair before oiling and using butter.

I used to have that issue with it feeling not as soft or slippy, but I've found a solution.

~maborosi~

metricfuture
January 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I think when hair dries completely, the moisture that was once in your hair has evaporated, ruffling the cuticle, leaving hair feeling not as nice. I've found a good sealant, like a leave-in conditioner to help as does damp bunning, which compresses the hairshaft a bit. Yep, damp bunning always makes my ends feel as soft as they do when my hair is wet. I'm just asking for frizz and a little crunch if I let it dry completely when it's down.

dollyfish
January 18th, 2013, 07:25 AM
My hair does this quite often, and yes, it is a sign I need more moisture! Try putting aloe in your damp hair. And when you can next afford the time, do an SMT :)