PDA

View Full Version : Odd Habits: Walking around carrying an open bottle of shampoo & smelling it?

JCM
January 15th, 2013, 05:52 PM
http://us.cdn4.123rf.com/168nwm/limonzest/limonzest1006/limonzest100600324/7218922-shopping-cosmetics--woman-smelling-bottle-of-shampoo-in-supermarket.jpg

I remember going to the store with my cousin and me and her would immediately head over to the shampoo aisle and lift open the caps of the bottles and we would smell every single one of them. We were about 5 or 6 at the time.

Gradually I progressed into carrying a bottle of shampoo with me around the house and sometimes also when I would leave the house. This lasted until I was in the 9th grade.

Sometimes I still get the urge but I stopped doing this a long time ago.
To this day my family still ridicules me about this.

Very odd I know.
Is this normal behavior?

BranwenWolf
January 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I sniff my own perfume or my own hair, or a bar of soap frequently, so I don't see why this is any different.
Yes, I sniff myself in public.

JCM
January 15th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I sniff my own perfume or my own hair, or a bar of soap frequently, so I don't see why this is any different.
Yes, I sniff myself in public.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0zlaopw6qo

Ooh La La... Ooh La La...

My cousin and I would sing the music used in shampoo commercials while we were sitting at the dinner table.
Have you ever done that before?

BranwenWolf
January 15th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Tresemme...Tresemme.... oooo la la!
I did a rather over-the-top impersonation of the woman going orgasmic in the Herbal Essences commercials, once. To the point where people were stopping and staring. It was pretty funny, actually.

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I still smelling shampoo and conditioners at the store if I'm interested in buying one.

renia22
January 15th, 2013, 09:14 PM
I'm totally a sniffer. In my basement I even have a stash of a couple of shampoos (and some perfumes) from back in the day, that remind me of happy childhood times. It's like sniffing emotional glue :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7TwST-Jz6V4

Might I add that not only does my shampoo have to smell good & I like to occasionally sniff it, but my bath products, cleaning supplies, hand soaps, etc all have to smell good too, or I won't buy them.

rock007junkie
January 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM
That is one of the first things I do when choosing a hair product! If it doesn't smell good to me I won't buy it. By the way JCM, I ADORE your signature picture!!! Metallica is my all-time favorite band and James Hetfield is my boyfriend (all in my head of course)

theemeraldskull
January 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
I don't think it's that weird... I always smell hair products before I buy them.

I also smell my own hair ALL. THE. TIME. Seriously, Aussie shampoo smells like heaven. :D

Ravenwind
January 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Since you mentioned you took the bottle with you around your house and even when you leave, (I'm going to get a psychological here) maybe it was something you did to cope with something? Or maybe it was pure habit. Whenever I buy shampoo and conditioner I always have to smell it first, and if it smells really good I may not stop for a while xD I'll even go in my shower just to pop open the lid and get a whiff of it. But, it has never formed into a habit.

JCM
January 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Tresemme...Tresemme.... oooo la la!
I did a rather over-the-top impersonation of the woman going orgasmic in the Herbal Essences commercials, once. To the point where people were stopping and staring. It was pretty funny, actually.

Ooh La La... Ooh La La... :applause

JCM
January 16th, 2013, 02:18 PM
That is one of the first things I do when choosing a hair product! If it doesn't smell good to me I won't buy it. By the way JCM, I ADORE your signature picture!!! Metallica is my all-time favorite band and James Hetfield is my boyfriend (all in my head of course)

:rockerdud

Me too but I kind of have a love/hate relationship with them.
There was a period when they cut their hair and they changed their music and those were some tough times for many of their original fans.
But we still have their first 4 albums to go back and listen to and thats good enough for me. :rockerdud

JCM
January 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Since you mentioned you took the bottle with you around your house and even when you leave, (I'm going to get a psychological here) maybe it was something you did to cope with something? Or maybe it was pure habit. Whenever I buy shampoo and conditioner I always have to smell it first, and if it smells really good I may not stop for a while xD I'll even go in my shower just to pop open the lid and get a whiff of it. But, it has never formed into a habit.

Not sure.
I think it was just a habit that developed over the years.
After all, it smelled good.
Very good. :)

arelrios
January 16th, 2013, 03:12 PM
May I join? I would smell everything...
I am addicted (not really) to smelling shampoos, perfumes, soaps, etc... and as some of you mentioned, if it doesnt smell great, I wont get it... I LOVE smells...

By the way, I tend to smell my food too..

Falcore
January 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM
I used to love running to the isle and smelling this certain shampoo, though I haven't seen it around for years now, so I stopped. Anyone remember Revlon Flex? That stuff smelt soooo good!

PrairieRose
January 16th, 2013, 04:43 PM
I love smelling shampoos and lotions. My grandmother used to have tons of shampoo in her bathroom. When I was young I used to love smelling them and deciding which one to use.
Smells are very important to me and remind me of people. Once I came across some vanilla almond Jergens lotion and it reminded me of my grandmother. I guess she must have used that lotion or something similar. I kept the bottle and still pull it out every so often just to smell my "grandmother".

rcblinn
January 16th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I don't really think so...in fact, my cousin and I still do that to this day!

The sense of smell is very much linked to memories and how we relate to them...so the way I see it, maybe your subconsciously remembering happy times with the family. I love the smell of books, I often will go into bookstores sometimes just to smell the scent of a new book! :)

JCM
January 17th, 2013, 10:21 AM
This is amazing! I am not alone. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

spidermom
January 17th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I smell any product that I consider buying.

Seeshami
January 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM
If something smells bad I put my braid over my face instantly. The naughty mess also gets fussed with when I am agitated or nervous and I will turn my rings around on my fingers too if fussing with the mess is to obvious.

krustallos
January 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Well, in the past people used to carry around handkerchiefs infused with perfume and smell them at the streets or anywhere, whenever they felt nervous or just for pleasure.
So weird it isn't, I suppose.

I've never done it myself, though, at least with nothing artificial. I keep a stick of cinnamon in my working table, because I draw them every once in a while for practice on texture and shadows, and sometimes when I'm thinking hard on something, I grab it and smell it. Also, I used to carry some leaves of rosemary on the pocket of my trousers for good luck, and sometimes when I had my hands in there I'd smell them afterwards and rejoice.

The predilection for shampoos seems a bit peculiar, still. Is it because something really attracts you in that specific characteristic smell they have, or because it could be just anything with a nice scent but you just got used to shampoos?

Oh, and I remembered of a book that might be of interest to anyone who read the title of this thread and felt compelled to read it: it's called A Natural History of the Senses, and the author is Diane Ackerman. It's pretty much only leisure reading, but it has a lot of information on the relation people had with exploring the senses over history, and also some interesting analysis on why certain smells cause certain reactions. I specially liked this part where she talks about how some aromas are considered pleasant because something in them causes a quick, momentary inhibition of the olfactory system before you can actually scent them. Orchids do that, for example.

Othala
January 18th, 2013, 08:46 AM
All I will contribute to this thread is the pheromonal effect the smell of Alpecin shampoo has on me. If I were to carry a bottle around with me sniffing it, no man would be safe.

MegaMystery
January 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I always smell shampoo/shower gel/bodylotion/bodybutter, basically anything I put on my body that I want to smell nice (not face cream for example, I'd rather have that odorless or at least not strongly scented) before I buy it. Also, if the smell isn't so good to me anymore after a while, I don't want to use it (The body shop strawberry body butter seemed perfect in the store, but on my skin it smells like plastic with a very fake strawberry scent! So i guess i'll put it on my feet.. waste of money! :(). I also like to smell my hair/my skin when I've used a body butter/shampoo/conditioner that smells really nice, I especially love it if the scent sticks around all day! (so I guess that's kind of like walking around with a shampoo bottle right? :D)

LadyCelestina
January 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I could bathe in Nivea kid's hampoo/body wash with the colour changing seal on the package. The smell is just so sweet and peachy I can't put my nose away!

I like smelling henna in my hair - I sniff it all the time then :eyebrows:.

JCM
January 18th, 2013, 10:42 AM
The predilection for shampoos seems a bit peculiar, still. Is it because something really attracts you in that specific characteristic smell they have, or because it could be just anything with a nice scent but you just got used to shampoos?

Possibly.
But honestly, I dont know.

eros
January 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I still have a wee bit of shampoo left that I used when I was hanging out with my crush all the time (like 2 years ago!) I don't use it anymore, (don't have any left,either) but I sniff it sometimes. the scent just makes me nostalgic, reminds me of old times ..:oops: pathetic, I know!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 20th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I always love to smell shampoos and conditioners before I buy them. I used to buy green apple shampoo because it smelled so divine. One day I couldn't get enough of it and tasted it! It actually tastes like shampoo, not little green apples, lol!
I love a shampoo that you can smell on your hair for days, but unfortunately I don't know of any like that in NZ.