PDA

View Full Version : What would you call this color, and how can I get it?

turtlelover
January 15th, 2013, 12:45 PM
I really, really like this color, and the article that accompanies this photo described this hair as burgundy. However, to me it doesn't look like what *I* would consider burgundy -- seems a bit warmer toned -- almost more maroon undertoned. Do you think you could get something like this from mixing auburn and burgundy demi color, or would I just end up with some boring shade of brown? I know that is probably possible w/ henndigo also, but I am scared because that is permanent! I want a red tone somewhere in between the cool burgundy and the orange-ish auburns, and I can't find a single demi dye that meets that description.

I http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com/upload/208080445255350111_iSd8NcdU_c.jpg

akilina
January 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM
This color looks a few shades lighter than your avatar pic..Also in your avatar where light shines to your hair..I think your hair does look a lot like this color!
But have you tried looking somewhere like sallys?? Instead of trying to find the right "box dye" maybe go to a supply store and look at all their little color swatches and find the right one. There are a ton of colors out there just like this. Maybe the main key is that your hair needs to be a little lighter to get this true color you really want.
Since I have access to a professional supply store it makes everything better and easier. There are so many more options than before when I was using box dyes from drug stores.
There has to be the perfect color for you somewhere :] I mean...I just now looked at a Wella Koleston color chart I have (which is permanent but they have all the colors in demi too) I found at least 5 or 6 colors that look identical to this one.

Nae
January 15th, 2013, 12:54 PM
This may sound weird, but it looks like the color you already have except that it looks like she has a light shining right on her, causing her hair to reflect quite prettily.

I am not sure what color to call it, maybe a Maroon or a Burgundy. It looks awfully cool though. I am not sure you could obtain this color with henndigo, that usually comes out a bit warmer. On my monitor it looks a bit purplish, especially around her roots and the ends of her hair. (Maybe the light again.)

I don't have any idea on demi colors, I am afraid I am hopelessly uninformed about chemical hair colors. Good luck!!!

EtherealDoll
January 15th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I just googled burgundy hair and this picture was one of the first that came up, so I guess it's might be a shade of burgundy hair colour ?
I would describe it just as dark purplish red. Garnier Colour Sensation's shades 5.62 and 4.60 look similar to that colour.

turtlelover
January 15th, 2013, 01:07 PM
My hair isn't TOO far from this color now, but it is DEFINITELY more purple-ish than this picture in the sun. It is a touch darker, which is fine, because my gray hairs come out as highlights when I use a lighter color, so the color still "pops". I recently used Ion demi in medium burgundy brown, and it looked much more purple on my hair than in the store. I don't dislike the color, but I think I like a SLIGHTLY warmer color on my skin tone. Not a true auburn, but definitely not as purple. I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying a burgundy-auburn mix if I am only using a demi. I might just GO FOR IT next time I am due to refreshen my whole head.

EDIT: I REALLY want to go to beauty school someday, just so I can go to the pro only stores and have far more options! Not to mention, because I like to play with hair -- especially if it is long!

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
My hair isn't TOO far from this color now, but it is DEFINITELY more purple-ish than this picture in the sun. It is a touch darker, which is fine, because my gray hairs come out as highlights when I use a lighter color, so the color still "pops". I recently used Ion demi in medium burgundy brown, and it looked much more purple on my hair than in the store. I don't dislike the color, but I think I like a SLIGHTLY warmer color on my skin tone. Not a true auburn, but definitely not as purple. I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying a burgundy-auburn mix if I am only using a demi. I might just GO FOR IT next time I am due to refreshen my whole head.

EDIT: I REALLY want to go to beauty school someday, just so I can go to the pro only stores and have far more options! Not to mention, because I like to play with hair -- especially if it is long!

More purple-ish is better anyway. :)

AnnaB
January 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/hair-colour/all-over-color/recital-preference/666-babylon-intense-red.aspx

its close to this. The older box looks almost spot on on the colour

akilina
January 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I see a lot of pink in this color almost. It reminds me of "raspberry" sort of.
If I were doing this color in the salon I would use a color very similar that the client likes too..but also add in some of the pink kicker that the Wella line(professional..not stuff from sallys) offers.

Nae
January 15th, 2013, 01:45 PM
More purple-ish is better anyway. :)

Says the girl addicted to purple!!:laugh:

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Says the girl addicted to purple!!:laugh:

We need a like button! Cause I like this! :)

Cupofmilk
January 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I believe she is or was contracted to l'oreal see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1320852/X-Factor-2010-Cheryl-Cole-dyes-hair-RED-5-99-LOreal-home-dye-kit.html.

turtlelover
January 15th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the link, and I am glad that there were more pics. :-) I won't use permanent dye on my hair, but it is nice to know what the box dye called that color. I really am in love with it *swoon*

lacefrost
January 15th, 2013, 06:27 PM
It looks like the color of my streak, actually. I used Special Effects on my hair. My hair is darker than yours so I bleached it to a medium brown and then covered it with Special Effects Candy Apple Red. That shade of red with the brown color makes a burgundy on the darker portions of my hair and redder on the true brown portions.

dainaleeo2
January 15th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Ahh this is the exact color that I did my hair in! (And oddly, the same picture that inspired me! I love Cheryl Tweedy! )
I went to Sally's and used the Ion demi-permanent color, in medium burgundy brown I believe. I added a small touch of their medium brown just to make sure it didn't turn out too intense, but it's a gorgeous color. It's a bit intense at first but it easily tones down since red, as we all know, doesn't stay in the hair too long. It also fades beautifully, so no worries about it going oddly pink or anything else (at least it didn't on my hair, and there was already brown under it). Ion also makes the color in permanent, depending on what you'd go for, but I think it's definitely worth a shot. I'm also cool toned and burgundy is good for those with cooler skin since the red is more blue based than red/orange based. :)

akilina
January 15th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I wonder if she really even used that box dye..I honestly highly doubt it >_< Even if they say she did..How can it really be trusted? I never believe it though like in the Tresseme and Pantene commercials how they have a celeb spokesperson and they say they use it..I think not. I could see a celeb totally turning their nose up to anything like that.

jojo
January 16th, 2013, 02:02 AM
cheryl Cole is contracted to Loreal castings so id check there colours out. I quite like the casting range as its quite gentle on hair.

http://www.loreal-paris.co.uk/castingcremegloss/post-event/discover.aspx. The black cherry looks similar.

Fantak
January 16th, 2013, 06:14 AM
I agree with everyone that says it looks like the colour you have but colour tends to look more vibrant when straightened/blowfried.

turtlelover
January 17th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I touched up my color today and FINALLY got the exact undertones I wanted. I used Ion demi medium burgundy brown 4RV combined with light natural brown 5N to tone down the purple.
:stirpot:
It is a bit dark, but I definitely have the undertones that I wanted! The burgundy color was MUCH nicer when mixed w/ the natural brown. After it fades for a week, it will be PERFECT! I love how shiny the Ion demi leaves my hair when you use their after color treatment. I'm in such a good mood now since I think I finally have my "holy grail" haircolor recipe! Now, to find the IDEAL products to help preserve it.....

swearnsue
January 17th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Many applications of henna.

turtlelover
January 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM
swearnsue, your haircolor is really pretty. What is your natural color?

MyGameMyRules
May 31st, 2015, 10:24 AM
nae, would you please tell me how you got that perfect color that's at the bottom of all your posts? I am in love with it! Thanks :inlove: