PDA

View Full Version : Gelatin as a protein treatment?

thenewstephie
January 15th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Has anyone ever tried this?

I came across this recipe for a deep protein treatment.

http://www.blackhairinformation.com/deep-conditioning/back-to-basics-home-made-protein-treatment/

I was just wondering about it because I'm kind of scared to try it, because isn't gelatin... well, ...jelly like??? lol

raingirl
January 15th, 2013, 03:10 PM
gelatin only gets jelly like when cool. If you have it on your head it should stay sufficiently warm and melty.

I've been considering trying a protein treatment like this for a while. Hmm....

Vivalagina
January 15th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I use this recipe (http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/p/science-y-hair-blog-recipes.html) for my gelatin treatments. This is the only type of protein treatment my hair likes, and it is super cheap as well.

rock007junkie
January 15th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I haven't used it but there is a huge thread on this in the naturallycurly.com forum. Girls seem to love it.

Allychan
January 15th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I tried this after reading about it and actually liked it better than the egg treatment I was doing. Highly recommend.

:p I also eat jelly for dessert, I count it as the 'protein' part of the meal

thenewstephie
January 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
yeah... I just tried it and it worked great. I'm really satisfied with it. Thanks for the link. I'm gonna play with the recipe, because it was a little watery.

Sillage
January 15th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I'll have to give this a try, thanks for posting the link

Louise148
January 16th, 2013, 04:53 AM
Just a heads up. I tried that link and my anti virus software caught a virus from it. Thankfully it recognised it and quarantined it but just thought I should let you all know that there is one lurking about there.

newmooncrafts
March 29th, 2014, 12:46 AM
trying this now! Fingers crossed it helps. I have some serious damage from two runs of Color Oops. Other girls have not reported much damage, but they probably have some conditioning routines; I have just been doing BS and ACV.

lindaslocks
November 14th, 2014, 05:06 AM
So glad I found this! I've been looking for a protein treatment for mine and my daughter's hair to help with foil damage. Thanks

purplevickie
November 14th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I realise they are completely different, but coconut oil makes my hair crispy... should I avoid this treatment too?

I just dyed my hair last week and am finding it's very frizzy and dry, so would like to do something to pamper it.

Rosetta
March 31st, 2015, 08:44 AM
This is really interesting; never thought of using gelatin for hair, but it's so cheap it's worth a try! Just one question: the recipe in the link (in 1st post) said you need to sit under a dryer for 20 mins; is that really necessary? Obviously I don't have a sit-under dryer in the house (the kind used in salons), but I don't really like using any kind of hairdryer at all if I can avoid it...

JustPam
March 31st, 2015, 08:56 AM
This is really interesting; never thought of using gelatin for hair, but it's so cheap it's worth a try! Just one question: the recipe in the link (in 1st post) said you need to sit under a dryer for 20 mins; is that really necessary? Obviously I don't have a sit-under dryer in the house (the kind used in salons), but I don't really like using any kind of hairdryer at all if I can avoid it...

I did one recently and left it as I leave all my deep treatments, under a shower cap and a microfiber turbie wrap. It turned out very well, super shiny straight hair. And heads up if you try it, don't get freaked out when it gets all sticky and half-set in your hair, it does just dissolve when you wash it out! But yeah it feels like wallpaper paste, haha!

See my result here if you want http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=127171&page=58&p=2967465&viewfull=1#post2967465

morrigan*
March 31st, 2015, 09:00 AM
I love using gelatin as protein treatment, but i don't use hair dryer, i just mix it wit warm water, and put it on hair, wrap it in plastic bag and pull over wool beanie.
And it make my hair really shiny

Rosetta
March 31st, 2015, 09:10 AM
I did one recently and left it as I leave all my deep treatments, under a shower cap and a microfiber turbie wrap. It turned out very well, super shiny straight hair. And heads up if you try it, don't get freaked out when it gets all sticky and half-set in your hair, it does just dissolve when you wash it out! But yeah it feels like wallpaper paste, haha!

Thanks for the info, and the heads-up! ;) Good to see you had such great results, and morrigan* too :)

I love using gelatin as protein treatment, but i don't use hair dryer, i just mix it wit warm water, and put it on hair, wrap it in plastic bag and pull over wool beanie.
And it make my hair really shiny

kelseyxface
March 31st, 2015, 09:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC_KBbVv_2s I use this recipe! It also calls for your own blend of EO, I just throw lavender in there. ^.^ Myhair is bleach damaged so it loves a good protein treatment every few months, but I always follow up with SMT for the best results. My hair stays so shiney and soft and not bleach damaged looking for months.

meteor
March 31st, 2015, 10:22 AM
I do this every month or every other month or so, on ad-hoc basis. I like to do this in higher humidity (summer here), because hydrolyzed protein works as a mild humectant and helps hair hold onto moisture better. I do use a plastic cap but don't bother with blasting it with a blow-dryer... simply because I usually can't find the thing, as I never use it... :lol:

It is true that gelatin mask and deep protein treatments (e.g. Aphogee 2-step) usually have instructions to let them dry/solidify and/or to use a blow-dryer to make it harden for a stronger treatment on damaged hair, but I have no idea why that is. Why is there an assumption that letting it dry makes it a stronger treatment? :hmm: Does anybody know? :flower:

My recipe is simple and I normally eye-ball it to keep the consistency easy to apply:
- 1 packet of Knox gelatin
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of moisturizing conditioner/mask
- 1 tsp to 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp to 2 tsp of oil

When I add honey and oil and use moisturizing conditioner (with oils and cones), I don't even need to follow up with any moisturizing treatment afterwards. I prefer giving my hair protein and moisture at once.

leilani
March 31st, 2015, 10:23 AM
I love gelatin as a protein treatment!!

Orange Queen
March 31st, 2015, 12:37 PM
I had really good results with gelatin too. Hair was super shiny, felt thicker and more manageable.
Was a little bit drying though.
I read somewhere that the more you do it, the the longer the thickness lasts between treatments, but I never did it often enough to find out.

Colochita
March 31st, 2015, 12:41 PM
I use this as my only hard protein treatment now.

Here's a blog with useful information and various recipes: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/gelatin-hair-protein-treatment-faqs.html

It helps because the writer also suggests dilutions for how hard you want your protein treatment to be.

arelrios
March 31st, 2015, 12:50 PM
I do this every month or every other month or so, on ad-hoc basis. I like to do this in higher humidity (summer here), because hydrolyzed protein works as a mild humectant and helps hair hold onto moisture better. I do use a plastic cap but don't bother with blasting it with a blow-dryer... simply because I usually can't find the thing, as I never use it... :lol:

It is true that gelatin mask and deep protein treatments (e.g. Aphogee 2-step) usually have instructions to let them dry/solidify and/or to use a blow-dryer to make it harden for a stronger treatment on damaged hair, but I have no idea why that is. Why is there an assumption that letting it dry makes it a stronger treatment? :hmm: Does anybody know? :flower:

My recipe is simple and I normally eye-ball it to keep the consistency easy to apply:
- 1 tsp to 2 tsp of oil

When I add honey and oil and use moisturizing conditioner (with oils and cones), I don't even need to follow up with any moisturizing treatment afterwards. I prefer giving my hair protein and moisture at once.

I follow the same recipe.... all at once... moisturizing and protein... sometimes I add a splash of ACV ... which reminds me is time for a treatment... ;)

Robot Ninja
March 31st, 2015, 12:58 PM
Gelatin is awesome. The first time I did it I used a blow-dryer, but it was tedious and dried gelatin on your skin is not pleasant, so now I just mix up a teaspoon of gelatin in enough boiling water to let it dissolve thoroughly, let it cool, mix in enough conditioner for easy application, and glop it on in the shower. I use it nearly every wash, because CO washing is overmoisturizing my hair otherwise.

Rosetta
April 1st, 2015, 01:21 AM
Reading all your posts and recipes makes me really want to try this now, but alas it will have to wait until I next clarify :)

Breanna
April 3rd, 2015, 05:41 PM
I finally got some gelatin and I'm ready to try this! But question: do you shampoo it out or just rinse?

Nadine <3
April 3rd, 2015, 06:34 PM
I finally got some gelatin and I'm ready to try this! But question: do you shampoo it out or just rinse?

I've always applied it after shampooing, then rinse and condition like normal.

Robot Ninja
April 3rd, 2015, 07:58 PM

I just rinse, then condition.

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 09:29 AM

I apply it right after shampoo and just rinse half an hour later. Since my gelatin mask includes moisturizing conditioner, honey and oil, I don't even bother following up with any conditioner after that.

Knifegill
April 4th, 2015, 10:29 AM
Is there a bare minimum for how long to leave it in?

Quasiquixotic
April 4th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I want to try this. Do you do your whole head or just the ends?

Robot Ninja
April 4th, 2015, 10:58 AM

I've read 2 minutes somewhere.

I do my whole head.

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 10:58 AM

Wendy from Science-y Hair Blog says 3-5 minutes should provide a moderately strong treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html

I do the whole head. Gelatin (and other hydrolyzed proteins) can work as a film-forming humectant, so it can help hair feel significantly thicker, more voluminous, which is a nice effect on roots, too. :)

Quasiquixotic
April 4th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Okay, so I live in a really arid place. Since it acts as a humectant, maybe I should do it...

meteor
April 4th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Okay, so I live in a really arid place. Since it acts as a humectant, maybe I should do it...

Hmm, it depends on what your hair likes. If your hair doesn't do well with humectants in low humidity but it really likes humectants in high humidity, you can just do a light gelatin treatment while you are in the steamy bathroom.

Personally, I do try to limit gelatin (and other protein) treatments to higher humidity seasons and I don't do them in wintertime (when it's extremely dry here). But I think it's a very YMMV kind of thing.

Orange Queen
April 4th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I have some pictures in an album in my profile of before and after a gelatin treatment. They somehow uploaded in the wrong order though.
My hair was really damaged at the time, and it made it look a lot shinier and smoother.
I now add honey to the mix instead of conditioner.

Knifegill
April 4th, 2015, 04:31 PM
DOne. Hair feels stiffer, and bouncier. GOod.

Breanna
April 4th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I apply it right after shampoo and just rinse half an hour later. Since my gelatin mask includes moisturizing conditioner, honey and oil, I don't even bother following up with any conditioner after that.

I just tried your recipe and didn't quite use the right measurements so it left my hair a little dry, but I think with some tweaks and extra conditioning afterwards will do the trick :)

Rosetta
April 7th, 2015, 01:15 AM
I finally got to try this over Easter; I wonder if I did something wrong though, as it didn't really harden on my hair ;) Maybe I added too much conditioner in the mix... I also left it "only" for about 15 mins, as I'm having a bit of a cold, so couldn't bear longer. Anyway, the effects were fine, immediate increase in my ponytail circumference (though of course I know it won't be permanent) :D But my hair *loves* protein anyway, it's a total sucker for it...

arelrios
April 13th, 2015, 09:30 AM
I might have put too much honey in my mix ... and I have now honey smelling hair lol... hair is shiny and soft and it has definitely helped the rough feeling in my ends.... hair is big, but in a good way ... lol...

I need to remember to do this treatments more often ;)

CastaDiva
April 13th, 2015, 10:23 AM

- 1 tsp to 2 tsp of oil

I'm going to try this tomorrow. How much, in grams, is it in a packet of Knox gelatine? Is it around 7 grams?

ETA: I found the measurements in grams and dl so I'm good to go :)

meteor
April 13th, 2015, 12:02 PM
I'm going to try this tomorrow. How much, in grams, is it in a packet of Knox gelatine? Is it around 7 grams?

Yes, I think it is. :agree:
I think 1 packet of Knox unflavored gelatin powder is supposed to be ~ 0.25 oz, 7.2 grams, 2 1/2 teaspoons, but I've never measured it out myself.
Science-y Hair Blog has good recipes and explanations of what different concentrations and additives can do: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
I like to do this after a good clarifying shampoo wash. :)

CastaDiva
April 13th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks, meteor :flower: I hadn't read that blog post but just did, and I found the correct measurements and other information there :)

almorin
April 19th, 2015, 08:48 AM
I tried this for the first time after reading this thread, and the results were amazing. My hair has never felt so thick and sleek after a protein treatment before. Thank you all for the great information posted here and the links to the blog! :applause :beerchug: :joy:

cutekitty
May 22nd, 2015, 05:40 PM
Hey guys,

I have some gelatin sheets that have been sitting in the kitchen cabinet for a while now, and I'm interested in trying a gelatin treatment. Does anyone have experience with making one using sheets instead of powder?

Seventy7
May 23rd, 2015, 04:08 AM
Yep, I did it a few weeks ago.
I measured the gelatine by weigth. I put the sheets in cold water for a bit to get soft, following the standard use guide on the package. After squeezing the water out, I dissolved it in a bit of hot water without trouble.
Then added the other stuff I wanted in there and applied it while it was warm, but not too hot.
It was really easy, actually. And my hair seemed to love it.

cutekitty
May 23rd, 2015, 05:19 AM
Thank you! How many sheets did you use? I have a package of 9 and the total weight is 17 grams.

Seventy7
May 23rd, 2015, 06:09 AM
Wendy from Science-y Hair Blog says 3-5 minutes should provide a moderately strong treatment: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html

I do the whole head. Gelatin (and other hydrolyzed proteins) can work as a film-forming humectant, so it can help hair feel significantly thicker, more voluminous, which is a nice effect on roots, too. :)

Thank you! How many sheets did you use? I have a package of 9 and the total weight is 17 grams.

The link in the top post gives all the measures. I used about 7 grams. I think it were 4 or 5 sheets. For you, 3 or 4 sheets should be fine. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

cutekitty
May 23rd, 2015, 11:53 AM
OK, thanks :)

Jadestorm
June 28th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Has anyone tried using agar agar instead of gelatine?

Anje
June 28th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Has anyone tried using agar agar instead of gelatine?

Agar is a polysaccharide, not a protein. I don't think it'd work in the same way.

ETA: If you're looking for a vegetarian option, I've seen various suggestions with soy sauce or liquid aminos. Both contain hydrolyzed proteins, though I'm not sure of the peptide chain length.

PixieP
June 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I'm gonna henna/cassia my roots later today, would it be ok to use the gelatin treatment right after rinsing the henna out? I should do it this week and it would be good to get it done today!

vampyyri
June 29th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Agar is a polysaccharide, not a protein. I don't think it'd work in the same way.

ETA: If you're looking for a vegetarian option, I've seen various suggestions with soy sauce or liquid aminos. Both contain hydrolyzed proteins, though I'm not sure of the peptide chain length.

How would you apply these? I'm vegetarian and could never imagine putting gelatin in my hair :tmi: ... soy sauce seems illusive to me, wouldn't the salt (even in low sodium) dry out your hair? I would love to try a protein treatment on my ends in particular. Would you apply it directly or in an SMT? :ponder:

PixieP
June 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM
For the gelatin treatment at least you should SMT afterwards, I'm guessing it would be similar for a vegan option. In the links meteor gave there is a link further on to vegan options.

Anje
June 29th, 2016, 10:41 AM
For me personally, I've gotten good results dumping a Tablespoon or so of soy sauce (I just use whatever is in the fridge, which tends to be the thick "superior dark" variety instead of the more normal runny stuff) into an SMT, but my hair tends to be sensitive to protein and I don't want to overdo it. I don't do it very often either, like once or twice a year! So I mix it into the moisture treatment, which seems to limit it a bit. Flaxen suggests just mixing a Tablespoon of soy sauce or liquid aminos in a cup of water and pouring it over clean hair. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47142&p=1068792&viewfull=1#post1068792) (ETA: It's worth mentioning that Flaxen is fairly light blond, and says she never noticed a color change, but it wouldn't hurt to strand-test.)

I haven't noticed the salt causing any negative issues with how I use it, with what I use. However, low sodium soy or liquid aminos are probably a good choice. Realize too that the hydrolyzed protein binds to sodium chemically, which is going to make that pretty high without there actually being a lot of free salt.