PDA

View Full Version : Is trimming necessary

Vijikanth
January 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Hi folks, I'm going to hit 3 years mark in 3 months. And I had a very small trim an year back. Mine is 3a type. Is it necessary to have my hair trimmed. I had read a lot about the benefits of trimming. But am afraid I would lag since mine is curly and length wouldn't show up so soon. I don't have much split ends. I do search and destroy. Also recently Im experiencing heavy hair loss.. :(. Please advice

Bagginslover
January 15th, 2013, 08:36 AM
If you are S+Ding your splits, and are happy with the way your ends look, I dont see a need to trim if you don't want to. Hair doesn't respond to being trimmed, so if you don't want to don't :)

Madora
January 15th, 2013, 08:39 AM
A slight trim would be a good idea since you haven't had your hair cut in a while. Best to keep the ends free from splits, even if you do S and D diligently.

Heavy hair loss could be a sign of anemia. Please see your physician to rule out anemia. Good luck!

Vijikanth
January 18th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Ok..will note it down. Thanks for the suggestions

Rufflebutt
January 18th, 2013, 10:25 PM
It really and truly changes from person to person. Some people have hair that is more fragile than others, some people don't take well enough care of their hair. My hair can go a few months, but I really enjoy the benefits my hair receives so I do mircotrims every other month.

Ravenwind
January 18th, 2013, 10:58 PM
I don't think trimming regularly is necessary unless you have damaged or split ends. And I think it also depends on how you want your hair to look. :)

Lissandria
January 19th, 2013, 03:04 AM
I think it depends on your individual hair. My hair for example: even when 100% virgin and I never use heat , the ends literally crumble without regular trims and thats that. My hair appears to stop growing. My fine, thin and dry 3a combination is a contributing factor. If your hair is like mine (fragile) I suggest regular microtrims. If not I would perhaps do a very tiny trim now and then leave it until you feel you need to again :)

jasper
January 19th, 2013, 03:55 AM
I don't trim. The consequence for me is that my hemline gets wonky because of uneven growth and I end up having the fairytale ends instead of a smooth hemline. Sometimes I cut a couple or three inches after a long period, taking off the wispiest of the fairytale.

neko_kawaii
January 19th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I just want to add that splits don't necessarily all occur at then ends of your hair where they will be removed by a trim. If there are few splits at the ends but the ends are dry and tangle easily, try clarifying to remove build up followed by moisture. If the dry ends remain it would be a good idea to trim because they will tangle more and eventually lead to more splits and splits do travel up the length of the strand that is split thus in the long term leading to lost length and thickness. If however you see few splits at the ends and they are not dry then what you need is to S&D to remove splits in the length as well as the ends. Otherwise trims are good for shaping a hemline.

lapushka
January 19th, 2013, 07:16 AM
For me... I can go a long way without having it trimmed. It takes a long long long time for my ends to fairytale. But this can be different for someone else. Personally, I haven't had it trimmed since September 2011, and my hemline is still pretty much intact.

jacqueline101
January 19th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Some hair types don't need to trim others do. I'm going to take up the no trims challenge.

Dovetail
January 19th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I only trim mine when I notice bits falling off when I brush it :(

IndigoOptimist
January 19th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I think it depends from person to person. I haven't had anyone trim my hair for me in about 4 years, and when I trim I don't take off very much.
Since joining LHC I've started micro trimming and S&D and my hair is in the best condition it's been in for a long time!
If you don't feel like your ends need a trim, don't trim ;)

dollyfish
January 19th, 2013, 01:45 PM
If you S&D regularly, do you find many split hairs? Do you have a good idea of how fragile your hair is? You know your hair better than anyone else, so if your ends are damaged, you will be the first to know if you watch out for it.

Personally, I don't trim. I literally never trim unless it's an actual haircut (eg, evening up my hemline) because my hair is so durable. My ends are especially prone to dryness, but if I make sure to oil them properly and treat my hair well I never get splits. I've found maybe one or two split hairs in the past year, and I do try to S&D when I can...I just never need to do the D part! But many people can't grow their hair *without* trims, as their ends are fragile! If you assume you don't need to trim when you do you might be losing more length than you gain, and vice versa.

Vijikanth
January 20th, 2013, 02:45 AM
If you S&D regularly, do you find many split hairs? Do you have a good idea of how fragile your hair is? You know your hair better than anyone else, so if your ends are damaged, you will be the first to know if you watch out for it.

Personally, I don't trim. I literally never trim unless it's an actual haircut (eg, evening up my hemline) because my hair is so durable. My ends are especially prone to dryness, but if I make sure to oil them properly and treat my hair well I never get splits. I've found maybe one or two split hairs in the past year, and I do try to S&D when I can...I just never need to do the D part! But many people can't grow their hair *without* trims, as their ends are fragile! If you assume you don't need to trim when you do you might be losing more length than you gain, and vice versa.

Hi Dollyfish,
I made a blunder few months back by not oiling much. I previously used to wash my hair daily and oil it so hair remains moisturized. But recently I haven't been oiling much(my hair is dry). Saw more splits. So did a thorough S & D and now it is ok. Also I want a proper hemline. Few strands are really longer and others are short. More over many have commented that my hair is not as thick as it used to be. Will trimming help in anyway. Also to mention my ends get more dry.

Vijikanth
January 20th, 2013, 02:51 AM
I just want to add that splits don't necessarily all occur at then ends of your hair where they will be removed by a trim. If there are few splits at the ends but the ends are dry and tangle easily, try clarifying to remove build up followed by moisture. If the dry ends remain it would be a good idea to trim because they will tangle more and eventually lead to more splits and splits do travel up the length of the strand that is split thus in the long term leading to lost length and thickness. If however you see few splits at the ends and they are not dry then what you need is to S&D to remove splits in the length as well as the ends. Otherwise trims are good for shaping a hemline.

Exactly. I'm feeling very upset with the thickness too. the circumference of my ponytail is pathetic. :( ...When I started people started giving negative comments. But now all have turned positive but am feeling really lost my confidence level because of hair loss. Thats why thought if trimming would help.

BellCat
January 20th, 2013, 03:04 AM
For me I think it is necessary to trim. My hair is not fine but it's thin and probably needs a tiny trim every 3-4 months to keep the ends looking healthier. Although my ends might be in good condition they get thinner and thinner the longer my hair gets :( if I had thicker hair maybe I would leave the trims unless it really needed it.

neko_kawaii
January 20th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Exactly. I'm feeling very upset with the thickness too. the circumference of my ponytail is pathetic. :( ...When I started people started giving negative comments. But now all have turned positive but am feeling really lost my confidence level because of hair loss. Thats why thought if trimming would help.

I am sad to hear you have lost confidence due to hair loss. *hug* I wouldn't worry about length if having shorter but thicker hair gives you more confidence. Have the reasons for your hair loss been addressed?

Once the loss has stopped it will grow longer! Until then, find something you like about your hair and focus on that or find a routine that allows you to ignore it as much as possible.

Vijikanth
January 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Very true. When I almost decided to go for a big cut, something struck me as to why should I start again. Why not repair the damage and get going. After all Im very close to 3rd glorious year of long hair. So did lots of research and went back to my earlier method. Wash daily and oil daily. I tried Baking soda and ACV after some research but found baking soda is not working out for me. Lots of flakes(may be the main reason for all the loss). But now I have started using silicone free shampoo and ACV for conditioning which is giving some relief. I tried few other products too in the middle. All these might have been the root cause. Also am wondering if climate is also a factor. Its cold now in India. Not as cold as western countries. But cold and dry.