PDA

View Full Version : Odd reasons you want longer hair!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MaryMarx
January 15th, 2013, 01:46 AM
Hi!

Yesterday I was taking a walk, it's crazy cold where I live right now so I wore a hat and double everything.
The hat is kind of a beanie and my hair was up so nothing showed, which made me think 'I really need longer hair so that it flows out from my hat and makes me not look like a boy'...

My hair i SL and I don't wear it down because it doesn't have the weight needed to look good down. It just floats around looking thin.

This made me think, what's YOUR weirdest reason for needing longer hair? :)

Natalia
January 15th, 2013, 01:58 AM
To hide anything im self conscious about when less than clothed ;p

cranberrymoonz
January 15th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Maybe It's not really strange, but I want my hair to flow down my back, looking feminine en beautiful^^ When I had chin lenght hair I used to feel very naked, especially when not wearing clothes. I hope It's better when my hair is about waist:)

spirals
January 15th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I think all my reasons are the usual ones: to look feminine and younger. I guess it's odd that I always want to be different than those around me. I surely will be.

lazuliblue
January 15th, 2013, 04:04 AM
So people won't think I'm gay....which I am....but that's not the point!

When I Came Out I had a pixie cut, and my friends kept saying 'Oh don't turn into one of those butch lesbians!' and another person said they had guessed because of my hair :rolleyes:

I guess I just became really self-conscious about whether I looked 'girly' enough or not, despite the fact even with short hair I always wore dresses, flowers in my hair etc.

So yes. To me, my odd reason is long hair=I am not a butch lesbian :D

Lauram
January 15th, 2013, 05:50 AM
To feel it on my back. To feel more feminine and confident. To have something extra to play with, style. It's feels natural to me to have long hair, I'm into natural earthy crunchy stuff. My hair is only apl but I'm growing to hip/bcl.

PetuniaBlossom
January 15th, 2013, 06:46 AM
I just love hair in general. I love to play with it, brush it, comb it, feel it around my shoulders and down my back. In my next life, I want to be a hairdresser who specializes in long hair.
The odd thing is, I've been told I look better with short hair.
I don't care!

Long_hair_bear
January 15th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Here's a weird reason: Because noone has ever heard of a Tolkien elf with short hair! :) I fancy myself a Rivendell elf on the inside, so I try to mirror that on the outside. Short hair does not become a Rivendell elf maid. :)

Ligeia_13
January 15th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I guess it's not really that odd, but you know how when someone has long hair, when they walk, the hair below bsl sort of floats backwards and forwards with their steps? I want that :D

Bagginslover
January 15th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Here's a weird reason: Because noone has ever heard of a Tolkien elf with short hair! :) I fancy myself a Rivendell elf on the inside, so I try to mirror that on the outside. Short hair does not become a Rivendell elf maid. :)

I love this reason!!

Mine is really odd though-I want to be able to tuck it into my trousers!! No idea why, I just do!

woolyleprechaun
January 15th, 2013, 08:10 AM
To hide scarring on my back when wearing a vest top, or when naked. Also to hide my general insecurities about showing flesh. I would love to wear nothing but my hair, and still not be showing anything :P

rock007junkie
January 15th, 2013, 09:04 AM
My hair is my security blanket. I want it to be long enough I could hide behind it

neko_kawaii
January 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM
So that I can completely neglect it and forget about it when I'm not the mood for hair.

spidermom
January 15th, 2013, 09:26 AM
To make Thor happy.

chen bao jun
January 15th, 2013, 09:33 AM
My reason is going to sound truly bizarre. I consider myself to be black but my family is a very racially mixed one from the Caribbean and for generations a lot (not all, but most) of us have the kind of appearance where people can't easily 'place' us. I could be a lot of things from my appearance and when people first meet me their reaction is that they stare and stare and then ask 'what are you? where are you from?' This is not so bad nowadays but used to be very difficult when I was young forty years ago, when people in the U.S. weren't used to mixed race people of any kind and wanted you to fit into a clear category. It was also difficult after I married to a man who clearly looks black and had children who also look black and had people questioning my kids about why their mom looked so different from them and telling them I wasn't black. I have curly hair but when it's when its short and frizzy and not moisturized I can make it look like an afro or like what people stereotypically think of as 'afro' hair and then I don't get questioned and singled out so much as people look at your hair a lot to determine your race even when you are dark (I have dark-skinned relatives with the same kind of features I do and long type 2 hair and people take them for East Indians) and very much so when you are light-skinned like I am with green eyes.
Anyway, maybe its because I've gotten old (56 this year) but I have got tired of worrying about what other people think and about fitting in with their expectations of what people 'should' look like. I have started to feel it is absurd to go around with frizzy and dry and unhealthy hair that I am making a lot of effort to keep that way, that people call 'natural' when it is really not natural for ME. I decided to grow my hair long, as I haven't had it since I was a child and wear it the way my grandmother, aunts and other family members always did, either in a long plait (braid) or a bun. It seems as if I will feel more like 'me' in that way. And if people want to question what I am, I don't really care anymore. I will just tell them the truth, which is that I have African ancestry that I am very proud of, and that I have other kinds of ancestry too, which is historically with the case with a lot of people where I'm from and I look the way I look, and that's it. And maybe it will stretch their ideas of the different ways people look, and the different kinds of looking people that can be related to each other by blood, which will be a good thing.
Also, although I have curly type 3 hair, it's a 3B and 3C mixture which is a type of hair that many African Americans have, actually. And not only do many people with this type of hair grow their extremely long (my grandmother was classic length, unstretched) but other types of African American hair can grow long, too, with proper care. I don't think this is the most important thing in the world, because having short hair does not make a person less beautiful or less feminine and there are many lovely ways to style and wear shorter coily curls. However, I myself feel like having long hair at this stage of my life and am happy to be here on LHC and growing.

eros
January 15th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I guess it's not really that odd, but you know how when someone has long hair, when they walk, the hair below bsl sort of floats backwards and forwards with their steps? I want that :D hah,me toooo!

Jeno86
January 15th, 2013, 09:37 AM
When I find a character I love, I tend to try to emulate them or do something physically that to me represents them, like hairstyle, nail color, jewlery and so on. I decided to grow to knee length because of the character Yuko Ichihara from xxxHolic. She inspired me in many ways so this is my way to "honor" her. I also want a braid long enough to smack people with :P.

Gallery of Yuko (http://xxxholic.wikia.com/wiki/Gallery:Yuuko_Ichihara)

patienceneeded
January 15th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Because I want to grow up to be a very old lady with long hair that I will wear in a bun or loose, as I choose.

morrigan*
January 15th, 2013, 09:45 AM
To make Thor happy.

And Loki mad.

DancingQueen
January 15th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Maybe It's not really strange, but I want my hair to flow down my back, looking feminine en beautiful^^ When I had chin lenght hair I used to feel very naked, especially when not wearing clothes. I hope It's better when my hair is about waist:)

Couldn't have said it better myself. :) I tend to be less feminine in the way I act and look, so maybe I will feel more feminine with longer hair.

summerstarlet
January 15th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Nursing school mostly. It's much easier to put hair up in a bun, braid or even a pony tail than having to wash and style short hair everyday. Plus I think It looks much better on me :)

Naiadryade
January 15th, 2013, 09:51 AM
...I used to feel very naked, especially when not wearing clothes.
This made me giggle a bunch.

Also - chen bao jun, that is a beautiful reason. Thank you for sharing your story!!

One of my weird reasons, which I've shared at LHC before, is I like to use my hair as a blanket to warm up, and be able to take off the blanket but easily carry it with me for later use just by putting my hair up or braiding it. Also, kind of like how Long_hair_bear fancies herself a Rivendell elf, I fancy myself a wood/water nymph (hence the screen name). Naiads and Dryads alike are generally depicted with long, flowing hair... and I generally am aspiring to look more and more like a mythical forest creature all the time. So.

Neneka
January 15th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I want to be like my grandma. She is so cool. :D

Darkessa
January 15th, 2013, 10:04 AM
I am oddly obsessed with the way it feels when it drags across my lower back... I started growing it in the first place because I have always loved long hair, but once it got long enough to feel it on my lower back when I tilted my head back I KNEW that was something I needed to have while looking straight.

Olavi
January 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
I love combing my hair and WO made my hair really soft, so I want more of that soft hair to comb ;)

I also want to prove, that even though I am transgendered, I still can have long and well cared hair. I don't need to do and look something, in order to be "allowed" to be me. I want to prove that "gender doesn't define fashion" and "fashion doesn't define gender".

And I wan't make people think about stereotypes and how ridiculous most of them are.

LadyLongLocks
January 15th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Longer hair makes bigger buns!
and...
My original goal was knee length...but I wanted to see if I could grow longer. I went to calf length and then on to ankle. So longer than knee was really just a test and Im not crazy about that extreme length. So I guess that would be a odd reason to want it longer...to test it!
:o

Xi
January 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM
So I can sit by the fire on a winter's eve and comb out my long hair. :)

WaitingSoLong
January 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM

LOL! I feel naked, too, when not wearing clothes ;) I love that I can cover my back with my hair when naked, and all of my front, too, if I want, even my groin :)

Mine is really odd though-I want to be able to tuck it into my trousers!! No idea why, I just do!

I once read a book where the main character was a female tomboy, set back in older days where women with short hair was not socially acceptable...she would tuck her hair into her pants to keep it out of the way while she worked on cars. I had wanted to do this, too, until I COULD....not so cool. Like sitting on hair. Yes I can but...can we say...damage?

To make Thor happy.

Ok pardon my ignorance but...??? Thor the god of thunder or is thor your husband? And why would Thor want you to have long hair? LOL??? ;)

Because I want to grow up to be a very old lady with long hair that I will wear in a bun or loose, as I choose.

I confess this as a reason for me, too. But I have a zillion reasons I won't have short hair and this is one of them. I don't want to be an old lady with old-lady-helmet-hair!

I am oddly obsessed with the way it feels when it drags across my lower back... I started growing it in the first place because I have always loved long hair, but once it got long enough to feel it on my lower back when I tilted my head back I KNEW that was something I needed to have while looking straight.

So since my hair passed Classic, I can now feel it tickle my thighs in the shower. I have become quite addicted to this feeling and find it exotic. I wonder what it will feel like to tickle my knees? Calves? I do love the feeling of hair on my naked back. Especially damp, fresh washed hair. Once the kids move out I may walk around the house topless all of the time. I am sure DH won't mind. LOL

I want to prove that "gender doesn't define fashion" and "fashion doesn't define gender".

And I wan't make people think about stereotypes and how ridiculous most of them are.

Well I think some people LIKE being able to associate themselves with a social group by physical appearance, so people don't wonder and ask questions. I like to see the flamboyantly-stereo-typical gay men. I love the unique looks they usually choose and that they are OK with who they are and not afraid for the world to know. :shrug: But yes, you should not HAVE to conform to a physical look to be accepted as part of a group.

and...
My original goal was knee length...but I wanted to see if I could grow longer. I went to calf length and then on to ankle. So longer than knee was really just a test and Im not crazy about that extreme length. So I guess that would be a odd reason to want it longer...to test it!
:o

And HEAVY buns.

This is kind of where I am. I am wondering how long it WILL grow. I expect my terminal length to be around calf. The other day I asked DH if about trying to see how long my hair would go (not that I need his approval, but wanted his opinion). I do worry it will put me is some "freak" category of hair. "Freakishly long hair". I have never been an extremist and don't want to be associated with any particular group because of my hair length. I also don't want DH to worry about people discussing his wife's freakishly long hair LOL. But ultimately we decided we don't care what people think or say. We are extremely private people and no one knows much about us, so at least then they will finally have something to talk about LOL. Great...now I am singing that song...

dragonfly90
January 15th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I think I look heavier with short hair. Long hair kind of hides the undesirables :D Growing out my hair is like insurance if I gain a few pounds. Crazy I know.

jacqueline101
January 15th, 2013, 12:11 PM
I want what I once had.

Loreley
January 15th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I'm a bit like LadyLongLocks, I want to test if I can reach knee length. If I can, I know I won't stop there. :D
The other thing is that I love the victorian era and the 19th century. When I see photos or painting of beautiful long-haired women from that time I always think I want to be like that.

Darkessa
January 15th, 2013, 12:40 PM
So since my hair passed Classic, I can now feel it tickle my thighs in the shower. I have become quite addicted to this feeling and find it exotic. I wonder what it will feel like to tickle my knees? Calves? I do love the feeling of hair on my naked back. Especially damp, fresh washed hair. Once the kids move out I may walk around the house topless all of the time. I am sure DH won't mind. LOL

I am SO glad Im not the only one who feels this way!! I never knew if I was alone in my near creepy obsession with that feeling.
I love the word exotic for it... I almost find it intoxicating/soothing. Its just so..... Amazing!! :D

And if I didnt currently live with my Mother in Law... I would be topless or close to it ALL THE TIME. Haha.

akilina
January 15th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Yes! I agree that I want that "exotic" feeling ;) Its like....sexy in a way.
I want that feeling of my hair tickling parts of my back like my waist and maybe someday hip....Especially when the hair comes down and covers the uh.. "front" :o

Its just super feminine to me (not that short hair is NOT feminine) but I would feel so much prettier with long hair. Worst of all...I can not have long hair :[ Never have in my life and I am truly not sure if it will ever be long. Its just so thin and ugly.
I saw pictures of when I was 10 and I told my mom "wow!! My hair was to my waist!" And she said "yeah right its never been past your bra strap length in your life"

Apriori
January 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I just love the feel of my hair on my back. When I cut it short that was the one thing a missed the most.

dollyfish
January 15th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Like many others here, I've always been a "tomboy" and "unfeminine." I've had short hair my entire life, a pixie for most of that time. I was constantly mistaken for a boy until puberty, upon which time I was mistaken for a lesbian. Not really a problem, but it meant boys at my high school didn't approach me because they thought I was gay, and I didn't even realize this till much later! :lol:

An ex boyfriend really liked long hair, and told me I should grow it out. Easy enough, I just didn't cut it. Turned out, I really liked it! I could style it for once! I looked feminine! Like, seriously feminine. Wow!

Plus, I have a really round face. Long hair lengthens a face really well!
My favorite example of this is from the movie Tangled, as Rapunzel had a round face too ;)
http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/nov2010/Tangled%20-%20Pan.jpg
vs.
http://popcultureplaypen.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/rapunzel-short-hair.jpg

I just look so much better with long hair, and I love taking care of it, styling it, even washing and combing it, that I could never imagine giving all that up again!

Plus, I too love the feeling of hair touching my back :)

TheMechaGinger
January 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I want to be able to sit down and just have a pile of hair in my lap :D I would also love to have a legitimate reason to go to a George Michael salon and get my hair done! Also mirroring long_hair_bear, I've always seen myself as a total princess so I should probably have the hair to match right?

Tealpuffin
January 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Exactly this! :cool: I want to be able to put my hair up in a MASSIVE bun on top of my head :D

Nursing school mostly. It's much easier to put hair up in a bun, braid or even a pony tail than having to wash and style short hair everyday. Plus I think It looks much better on me :)
Yes this is my other reason. I don't know how I would be able to cope with the shorter hair. especially with 12 hour shifts. It's nice to be able to bung it up and not have to care about it.

Tota
January 15th, 2013, 03:01 PM
As a teen I used to play Lara Croft video games all the time. I will never not want a braid like hers, even when I'm 80 ;) It's just something that will stay with me forever ...

Kelli Kat
January 15th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I like the idea of having a ponytail that starts at the top of my head goes down my back. I like the way long ponytails swing.

Darkessa
January 15th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Yes! I agree that I want that "exotic" feeling ;) Its like....sexy in a way.
I want that feeling of my hair tickling parts of my back like my waist and maybe someday hip....Especially when the hair comes down and covers the uh.. "front" :o

I wanted to use the word sexy... But wasnt sure if I should. Haha. Glad you did though!!
Its true, that feeling of it brushing warmly and lightly against my lower back just feels... Sexy! Haha

And by "Front"... You mean upper front? Or lower front? Hahahaha.
Cause lower front coverage would be some LONG awesome hair. :D

dwell_in_safety
January 15th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Like others, I loooove the feeling of my hair on my naked back, swishing around my body when it's down/drying after being washed. It's the best. I also love the idea of having very long and very healthy hair, together. Lots of softness! And, right now, I am disappointed that at past waist there are still SO many buns I can't do with my hair yet. I want to be able to do all of them!

makeminea99
January 15th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I'm glad I came across this thread as I've been starting to consider a hair cut - I've recently reached hip length, and was planning on getting to tail bone this year, but it just looks so split at the moment I think I'm going to have to go back up to waist or maybe even bra strap length - bah! We'll see. I'll think about it. I suppose BSL is still decently long . . .

akilina
January 15th, 2013, 03:32 PM
I wanted to use the word sexy... But wasnt sure if I should. Haha. Glad you did though!!
Its true, that feeling of it brushing warmly and lightly against my lower back just feels... Sexy! Haha

LOL!! Ahah lower front.. I meant upper front. I dont think I could handle hair that goes all the way down there. Gah Im cracking up just typing this! My goal was always waist..then I randomly wanted hip. I don't know if I will ever want longer. MAYBE Tail bone at most..No longer than my butt though. I would not like that on myself. Its great that some people have hair that long but it is just not for me. And I don't want goals like that..I cant even get my hair to BSL.
I was not sure if "sexy" would be an okay word or not but its the best word to come up with. Or..."exotic" but replace the X with an R :]

WaitingSoLong
January 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Hair covering the lower front is awesome, too ;) I will skip the details. LOL

hypersensitive
January 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I want to beat my mom's longest hair length. From pictures in her youth, and from what she has told me, the longest she's ever gotten was past classic. From there, I just want to see how much longer it'll grow. I quite like the idea of finding out my terminal length.

lapushka
January 15th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Not an odd reason but because it's easier to live with and take care of, in general.

Soltimus
January 15th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Well, I'm a bit of a history nerd so a few years ago I was reading about people found in bogs. There were lots of pictures and descriptions of their hair and how they wore it when they died. It all looked so awesome and I got a bit jealous, so I decided to grow my hair out until I can wear it like they did.

rtree721
January 15th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I want long healthy hair because it isn't easy to have. You have to have the patience to let it grow that long and take good care of it for it to be healthy at a long length. I know so many people who say they want long hair but can't take the time to grow it. My sister pays for 18inch extensions when I just have that length for real. It makes me feel unique and more feminie to have long hair also.

raingirl
January 15th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I want long hair so I can do this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XUuFfxpTi84/TI1lyDuboOI/AAAAAAAAASE/q5ni-9ObDQA/s1600/botticelli_venus1.jpg

RileyJane
January 15th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Well, i liked using my long hair as a make shift jacket :) and i also want to have that long, flowy feeling as mentioned when im....a lil less clothed. plus i just dont feel like me without it, however un strange that seems

turtlelover
January 15th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Because someone insisted the last time that I cut it off that I could NOT grow it back and would become addicted to short hair, and I want to prove them wrong.

GoldberryHair
January 15th, 2013, 05:26 PM

Mine too! But I'm more of the Woodland Realm type ;)

Rosethorn
January 15th, 2013, 05:34 PM

Love this reason! The last time I was watching The Hobbit, I noticed that my hair is only maybe four inches shorter than Galadriel's. Yay and three cheers for things you just can't say to the non hair obsessed.

floralgem
January 15th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I guess I want long hair is because I miss when I had it at hip (The chop was for a good reason, my hair had taken a beating from all the flat iron sessions from cheerleading..) Also, I want to look like a princess and feel what it's like having hair as long as your butt.

henné
January 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Why?!?!?! Because I can! :guns:

And because I think I look better with long hair than short/er hair. And because my husband loves it. And because it's a great compliment-fishing tool :rollin: Just kidding about the last one ... but it sure is true!!!

Ok, joking aside, even though the compliment-fishing was pretty weird, the weirdest reason (it's not like it's a huge reason or something) is because I want my hair to be able to perfectly cover my breasts when I'm naked :D :o

MeganE
January 15th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Ok, joking aside, even though the compliment-fishing was pretty weird, the weirdest reason (it's not like it's a huge reason or something) is because I want my hair to be able to perfectly cover my breasts when I'm naked :D :o

Okay poll is needed here. How many of us, when we decided to grow long hair, considered this to be a benefit? ::This is where there needs to be a "hand raise" smiley:: Were we all affected by the same mermaid painting or what?

neko_kawaii
January 15th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Okay poll is needed here. How many of us, when we decided to grow long hair, considered this to be a benefit? ::This is where there needs to be a "hand raise" smiley:: Were we all affected by the same mermaid painting or what?

LOL, when my hair was growing out I did have the passing thought, "It will be nice when my hair covers my breasts again" but as a reason to grow in and of itself, no. Word your poll carefully of you will be getting some cheese from me. *grin*

trolleypup
January 15th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Heh! Judging by the replies...is this even an "odd" reason?

Not the principal reason, but...to be able to comply with TLHC's informal guideline of "no nips, cracks, pubes" when posting pictures...or having enough hair that the viewer couldn't actually tell if I was or was not wearing clothing. The first I can do, the second, not so much. :(

Shoga
January 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I want to look like a long-haired mermaid or siren. XD Even though I am absolutely horrified at swimming now (almost drowned once, it was very scary) I LOVE mythical under the sea type stuff. I suppose my lack of time spent underwater is good for my hair anyway- I still fantasize!

Darkessa
January 15th, 2013, 08:19 PM
LOL!! Ahah lower front.. I meant upper front. I dont think I could handle hair that goes all the way down there. Gah Im cracking up just typing this! My goal was always waist..then I randomly wanted hip. I don't know if I will ever want longer. MAYBE Tail bone at most..No longer than my butt though. I would not like that on myself. Its great that some people have hair that long but it is just not for me. And I don't want goals like that..I cant even get my hair to BSL.
I was not sure if "sexy" would be an okay word or not but its the best word to come up with. Or..."exotic" but replace the X with an R :]

My goal has always been Tailbone... But I have been definitely considering going longer.
I guess Ill just see when I get there! :D

Also... I though of Exotic with an R too! Haha. Seems a bit ******-y, but thats not how it feels to me, it just feels...
SENSUAL!!!
OOOH!
Sensual!
Perfect. :D

Hair covering the lower front is awesome, too ;) I will skip the details. LOL

Haha. I bet its quite fun to mess around with! ;)

Not the principal reason, but...to be able to comply with TLHC's informal guideline of "no nips, cracks, pubes" when posting pictures...or having enough hair that the viewer couldn't actually tell if I was or was not wearing clothing. The first I can do, the second, not so much. :(

That is a very interesting and cool goal!!! Haha.
I might even considering trying that someday, years from now. :P

SlipJig
January 15th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Like so many here, my "odd" reasons for growing my hair long are Tolkien (/ Peter Jackson's films) and folklore and mythology (mermaids, faeries, goddesses, etc.). I am also feeling so much more comfortable with my appearance, and more feminine, now that I am growing my hair out... and it is only at shoulder so far! I had a pixie for years. The difference is unbelievable. I am feeling more like "me." Maybe a little "odd," too, is that for the first time ever, I do not have bangs (well... I am growing them out for the first time ever, they are not gone yet), and it's as if I have a face for the first time ever! I am learning to embrace my face, haha. I no longer resemble a sheepdog. It is great to feel so much less self-conscious and comfortable in my own skin month by month: also a natural consequence of outgrowing teenagerhood, I guess.

I am so happy I made it through a mostly awkward year to get here, and I'm so excited to continue the journey!

teal
January 15th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Not so odd: I want to see how long it will grow. Getting there: DH likes it down during certain activities. Definitely odd: I want to braid it and wrap it around my neck like a scarf to keep me warm.

Wiggy Stardust
January 15th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I like the physical feeling of it. So nice and soft.

eiwonob
January 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Maybe it's not that odd, but I want long hair because it makes me feel connected to nature and to a more simple and natural way of life... no human rules dictating it, no intervention from fashion or technology... just hair growing like plants and flowing like rivers...

Waterhouse's paintings are also a reason! The ladies on them have beautiful long hair!

HumanBean
January 15th, 2013, 11:53 PM
To defy my mother.

And yes, I'm far too old to care about rebelling against her, but there it is.

MaryO
January 16th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Because when I was about 10 or 11 someone mistook me for a boy and although I have had shortish hair after that (and I won't be mistaken for a boy anymore!) it still stays in my head. I also feel like maybe having long hair will detract from my less that pretty nose!

melusine963
January 16th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Well, I'm a bit of a history nerd so a few years ago I was reading about people found in bogs. There were lots of pictures and descriptions of their hair and how they wore it when they died. It all looked so awesome and I got a bit jealous, so I decided to grow my hair out until I can wear it like they did.

Have you seen the breakdown of the Elling Woman's hair? Click on the picture in the left hand column here: http://www.tollundman.dk/ellingkvinden.asp

I'd never heard of her until I came across a youtube tutorial by Habioku, inspired by this hairstyle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL2jGJvMBI4

spirals
January 16th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Oh, yes--the nose thing for me, too. And yet I want to get it pierced. It's like, have a too-prominent feature? Make it even more prominent! Well, that does apply to my hair, too.

MaryMarx
January 16th, 2013, 01:28 AM
To hide anything im self conscious about when less than clothed ;p

A reason as good as any. :D

MaryMarx
January 16th, 2013, 01:41 AM
I want long hair so I can do this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XUuFfxpTi84/TI1lyDuboOI/AAAAAAAAASE/q5ni-9ObDQA/s1600/botticelli_venus1.jpg

Haha! I hope you mean the whole scenery! :D

Natalia
January 16th, 2013, 01:51 AM

I guess I just became really self-conscious about whether I looked 'girly' enough or not, despite the fact even with short hair I always wore dresses, flowers in my hair etc.

I can say from experiance it works :). I have yet to have one person guess im gay by looks.

I would love to wear nothing but my hair, and still not be showing anything :P

That will be SO awesome!

Once the kids move out I may walk around the house topless all of the time. I am sure DH won't mind. LOL

Well I think some people LIKE being able to associate themselves with a social group by physical appearance, so people don't wonder and ask questions. I like to see the flamboyantly-stereo-typical gay men. I love the unique looks they usually choose and that they are OK with who they are and not afraid for the world to know. :shrug: But yes, you should not HAVE to conform to a physical look to be accepted as part of a group.

I dont think he would mind at all :). And yeah i know some people who are into that, if you like it its cool with me but its just not me. You can tell more about me by whats on my keychain than whats on my body.

kme81
January 16th, 2013, 01:52 AM
This is not the only reason, but it is one of them:
I want to go to a George Micheal Salon some day and feel like I have long enough hair to warrant the visit!

MaryMarx
January 16th, 2013, 02:22 AM
When I Came Out I had a pixie cut, and my friends kept saying 'Oh don't turn into one of those butch lesbians!' and another person said they had guessed because of my hair :rolleyes:
So yes. To me, my odd reason is long hair=I am not a butch lesbian.
Haha, that’s a good reason for long hair! It’s really weird people think one would turn into a butch just because of a short haircut…

So true!

To make Thor happy.
Oh, interesting! Do you mind telling us some more?

I have a strong feeling I will get obsessed bythat feeling too, in a couple of years!

So I can sit by the fire on a winter's eve and comb out my long hair. :)
I love this reason! Me too, me too. :D

I'm glad I came across this thread as I've been starting to consider a hair cut - I've recently reached hip length, and was planning on getting to tail bone this year, but it just looks so split at the moment I think I'm going to have to go back up to waist or maybe even bra strap length - bah! We'll see. I'll think about it. I suppose BSL is still decently long . . .
Ooh, I might have saved someone’s hair. :D
Actually yes, for me BSL is looong.

That’s definitely an odd reason, but really cool. I guess you mean bogs, like in the water?

I want long healthy hair because it isn't easy to have. You have to have the patience to let it grow that long and take good care of it for it to be healthy at a long length. I know so many people who say they want long hair but can't take the time to grow it. My sister pays for 18inch extensions when I just have that length for real. It makes me feel unique and more feminie to have long hair also.
That’s true! It’s kind of a sign of character I think, all that patience.

Haha, YES, I think that would count into an odd reason! :D

Maybe it's not that odd, but I want long hair because it makes me feel connected to nature and to a more simple and natural way of life... no human rules dictating it, no intervention from fashion or technology... just hair growing like plants and flowing like rivers...
Waterhouse's paintings are also a reason! The ladies on them have beautiful long hair!
I really like your reason. Can I use it too? :)
And yes, that’s some magnificent paintings. I think if I’d ever henna my hair, it would be because of the Pre Raphaelites.

To defy my mother.
I’m with you on this one! Maybe not really defy, and not especially my mother, but no one seems to believe I will make it when I tell my family I’m going to grow to waist. I’ll show them, I’ll show them all!! :steam

natural_shine
January 16th, 2013, 03:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGxsFaQuIM

UpNorth
January 16th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Hm, my style is pretty darn masculine, and I just love the contrast. But recently I've started to dress more like a female actually, but the long hair is here to stay (but not at hip;))

When I first started to admire long hair, I found it to be more metal for some reason, nowadays I don't care about that really.

Another odd reason is that I like to have something others don't, and be unique, and I try to stay away from trends and fashion (As I'm growing out virgin hair, I've failed miserably at that lately, you know, ombre^^)

natural_shine
January 16th, 2013, 06:19 AM
I gave up on this "grow it natural" thing.

I get bored too often, I just must do something to it. LOL If I'd cut it everytime I decided to go natural again, I would be at "pixie" all the time. I just color it and let it grow, no more "back to natural" issues for me.

I henna.

MaryMarx
January 16th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Hm, my style is pretty darn masculine, and I just love the contrast. But recently I've started to dress more like a female actually, but the long hair is here to stay (but not at hip;))

When I first started to admire long hair, I found it to be more metal for some reason, nowadays I don't care about that really.

Another odd reason is that I like to have something others don't, and be unique, and I try to stay away from trends and fashion (As I'm growing out virgin hair, I've failed miserably at that lately, you know, ombre^^)

I agree on that last one! Where do you live? I live in the middle/north of Sweden in a small town and long hair here is not that usual. :cool:
But, well, by the time I have long hair it might be...
Oh but you have WL hair, that's always in fashion. :p

sarelis
January 16th, 2013, 08:57 AM
I'm growing mine longer out of boredom! It's always been long (by non-LHC standards lol), usually around waist, and whenever it got to around hip I would get it cut back to between waist & BSL. This cycle of grow & chop carried on for years, and I never trimmed between cuts either! It was just a case of ignoring it for a year or two then hacking it off. This time I figured I would go the other way, grow it longer with regular trims to keep it healthy, and learn lots of new updos for boredom busting. It seems to be working so far, I enjoy putting it up in different styles every day, and occasionally wearing it loose for a change :)

Iolanthe13
January 16th, 2013, 09:25 AM
When I had long, one-length hair before, I loved it, but it started to feel "blah". I'm growing it long now partly to see whether henna + layers will prevent that "blah" feeling.

Also, I like it when people flirt with my hair :p

Bambi
January 16th, 2013, 01:34 PM

I second exactly everything you said:) Hannon le:).

Vampyria
January 16th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Apart from the fact that I feel more confident and feminine with longer hair, and I have always wanted it there are some more.

It's more vampire like (my little obsession), gothic/metal style that I like looks better with long hair, it's easier to head bang (heavier hair), I like the way long hair "spills" all over. :p

rach
January 16th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I like my buns and i like putting out of the way when i'm being practical or in lazy mode which is very often with my hair. I like hiding behind it occasionally (makes a great face cover) and i love letting it down in the evenings and keeping my back warm and cosy.
All my family have short hair and i have no idea how long my genes will allow, so why not find out and be the rebel in the family :p

And because i can :p

sunnydee92
January 16th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hmm...Because it feels like some sort of mane or tail! Long hair just feels and looks so natural and beautiful.

makeminea99
January 16th, 2013, 02:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGxsFaQuIM

:-D Love it!!

PraiseCheeses
January 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Just in case I ever make it to North Korea and get thrown in prison for asking the wrong questions, I can throttle the guards with a long braid after they've deprived me of all weaponry, and keep any pursuers at bay by whipping said braid around to keep them from grabbing me. Then I can hook the end over the edge of the fence or wall, use it as a climbing rope, and escape into the wilderness and eventual amnesty.

makeminea99
January 16th, 2013, 02:37 PM
In an update to my earlier post: I'm NOT going to get that hair cut!! You lovelies have saved my barnet - thank you! :) But I did go off topic, didn't I? So - why I want/like my hair long . . . well, I'm totally in agreement with the whole 'sensual pleasure' side of it. It feels good against your skin. If your partner also appreciates long hair (as my husband does, luckily!) it's lovely for them, too, and not just on THAT level - having longer hair makes you stand out from the crowd, in a discreet kind of way - if people love it or hate it, if your hair is longer than about BSL it will get noticed! Also I do like being able to do the Jane Seymour as 'Domino' thing of taking off my hat and letting all my hair down. Yeah, I know it's vain, but what the heck . . . what else? Oooh! The Age Issue!! My bugbear. I'm 40 this year. And I'm quite frankly buggered (pardon my Klatchian) if I'm cutting my hair off just because I'm getting older. I'd cut it off if my hair thinned drastically (I do have thin areas - scalp damage from my Nan's vigorous approach to removing my cradle cap when I was tiny, according to family legend) as in - if it was thin to the extent of being obviously bald looking. Comb- overs are bad news on gents, never mind ladies. Then it'd have to go. But otherwise, I think I'd like to keep it as long as it a.) looks good and b.) I'm able to look after it myself.
Phew!!!

spirals
January 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Waterhouse paintings. Renfaire. Classic-length I've seen in person. My bohemian sensibility. All these things and more contribute to my desire to have curls that tumble down my back and land at my tailbone.

makeminea99
January 16th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Just in case I ever make it to North Korea and get thrown in prison for asking the wrong questions, I can throttle the guards with a long braid after they've deprived me of all weaponry, and keep any pursuers at bay by whipping said braid around to keep them from grabbing me. Then I can hook the end over the edge of the fence or wall, use it as a climbing rope, and escape into the wilderness and eventual amnesty.

This is the sort of evidence I need to present people with who think that having long hair is impractical. It has many uses.

Seeshami
January 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM
So when I grab my braid and threaten to strangle some one they don't ask "It's long enough!?!?!"

CousinItt
January 16th, 2013, 03:15 PM
To defy my mother.

I actually laughed out loud at this, because it's part of my reason too ;)

MaryMarx
January 16th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Haha, you get an award for most odd reason to wanting longer hair! Here it is, hope you like kittens: :kitten:

MaryMarx
January 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Apart from the fact that I feel more confident and feminine with longer hair, and I have always wanted it there are some more.

It's more vampire like (my little obsession), gothic/metal style that I like looks better with long hair, it's easier to head bang (heavier hair), I like the way long hair "spills" all over. :p
Oh my I haven't even thought about head banging... how could I not think about that??

HintOfMint
January 16th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Not so odd since I read this thread but basically I want long hair to feel the way it drapes around my body when I'm... erm... in repose?

raingirl
January 16th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Haha! I hope you mean the whole scenery! :D

Hahah. Just the Venus part.

joflakes
January 16th, 2013, 04:33 PM
It feels better when my DBF tugs on it during certain things. :o

TheLuckyLurker
January 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM

Is it weird that I now have the mental image elven revolutionaries (or teenaged 'rebels') declaring their stance by shaving their heads? :grnbiggri

To answer the question, to me the idea of having long hair (between BSL and waist) makes me feel...commanding, regal. Queenlike. And that's a good feeling.

ghost
January 16th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Most people don't have hair as long as I want to grow mine (knee length or terminal, whichever comes first), and I get a perverse joy out of hearing stuff like "Your hair is so long, you should donate it," "You should cut some layers or something," "Hair that long is just gross!" and just responding like "Okay...guess what, I'm keeping my hair. Are you done now?"

Also, it proves to me that I have patience and won't cut it on a whim (like I did when I was 11) or have to cut it because I did something to damage it (like I did when I was 19). I'll prove to myself that I CAN grow crazy long, beautiful hair.

Sharysa
January 16th, 2013, 07:50 PM
To make Thor happy.

To keep the Tuatha De Danaan's requests from making my hair look weird. FOUR OF THEM want little braids of it. Aside from the cutting, it seems they like it as well.

I also consider "Small people shouldn't have long hair!" to be a challenge.

hairconvictions
January 16th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Because the more I grow it, the more it feels like it's actually part of my body ie an appendage. It's scary how emotionally attached I am to my hair.
Someone close to me once said they were going to cut my hair in my sleep and I told them if they didn't stop with the offensive language they weren't invited to my wedding. And it wasn't a bluff :S

YumiYume
January 17th, 2013, 01:20 AM
oh its so fun to read al your reasons ^^!

mine are:

*I am a larper and like to play forest creatures (this year it is to be a dryad), and they DO have long beautiful and sensual hair that make everyone "oooohhh how beautiful". As I dont have it, my half-skilled costume is al that is shown. I hope for a growth speed until summer!

*In the medieval/fantasy paintings/movies the princesses,queens and other beautiful creatures has long hair

*As my hair grow I start to feel prettier, my hair is the part I like, and it is a part of me

*when I see someone irl with longer hair (like waist) I get way to jelous, I want mine long asap :P!

*and I want the cover-me-up-while-naked part to ^^!

*I fear my terminal is waist with taper ends, my mother has always had it like that and I have only had it like that when I have had it long, never grew longer, and I really want to prove my fears wrong and grow beautiful long hair with better care

Astraea
January 17th, 2013, 05:10 AM
I have these dramatic Krystal v. Alexis Carrington fantasies of a thinly-veiled verbal catfight (during a cocktail party or the like, of course), where I appear unruffled but just as I coolly turn to walk away, arrogantly toss my head in a flourish so that my TBL dutch pony braid cracks like a whip and smacks my foe across the face!

I, of course, graciously go speak to other guests with a triumphant smile and pretend nothing happened. I've have no conception of how my 'hair whip' fantasy could be pulled off in real life, but in my mind it works. Perhaps I just watch too many soap operas, it's a very soapy effect - and also my odd reason for growing out my hair.:D

Bambi
January 17th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I have these dramatic Krystal v. Alexis Carrington fantasies of a thinly-veiled verbal catfight (during a cocktail party or the like, of course), where I appear unruffled but just as I coolly turn to walk away, arrogantly toss my head in a flourish so that my TBL dutch pony braid cracks like a whip and smacks my foe across the face!

I, of course, graciously go speak to other guests with a triumphant smile and pretend nothing happened. I've have no conception of how my 'hair whip' fantasy could be pulled off in real life, but in my mind it works. Perhaps I just watch too many soap operas, it's a very soapy effect - and also my odd reason for growing out my hair.:D

Hahahahahaahaa! I looooove it!!!! *Drama-Queen*

Naiadryade
January 17th, 2013, 08:12 AM
LMAO Astraea, that might be the most original one yet!

I wonder if there is a poll about this yet? It would be fun to see the bar graphs... how common, for example, is wanting long hair to look more like an Elf/mythical being/Renaissance painting? How overwhelmingly a majority grow their hair because they enjoy the feeling of it against more and more of their skin? How many of us like the idea of being naked but revealing nothing? Etc

If it doesn't exist yet, I would create it.

marioma
January 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
because i want to braid my hair like i used to do :( also because i have curly hair and it looks nicer long

WaitingSoLong
January 17th, 2013, 08:51 AM

I vote this as the oddest reason! :cheese:

I wonder how many people have extensions? There are a LOT of long hairs around here (waist-ish) and I wonder sometimes. I liek my hair being long enough to rule out that!

I know I can cover my entire frontage with my hair right now but it would be obvious I was either naked or had on a bikini/thong. However I would never post it here even if it met the guidelines! lol.

Hmm...Because it feels like some sort of mane or tail! Long hair just feels and looks so natural and beautiful.

Hmm, in another couple years I could put my hair down my shirt in back and make it look like a horse's tail sticking out the bottom. I am sure Trolly could pull this off already, and anyone else at knee+

Also, it proves to me that I have patience and won't cut it on a whim (like I did when I was 11) or have to cut it because I did something to damage it (like I did when I was 19). I'll prove to myself that I CAN grow crazy long, beautiful hair.

I think this is a big reason for me, that I can be committed to the years-long goal of extreme long hair. But it is proving to be way more than a time commitment as it needs special care once it passes a certain length.

I also consider "Small people shouldn't have long hair!" to be a challenge.

I have never heard this statement. Define "small people"?

I wonder if there is a poll about this yet? ...:snip:...If it doesn't exist yet, I would create it.

You would need more than 10 options.

Mischamiu
January 17th, 2013, 09:19 AM
So when someday I'm not happy with myself I can put it down and feel better :D

Sharysa
January 17th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I have never heard this statement. Define "small people"?

If you're not average height (five and a half feet) or taller, apparently long hair is going to smother you, make you look like you're perpetually twelve, or make you look like Cousin It. Granted, most people who say that are magazines or hairstylists who stay on top of trends.

I'm five feet tall. Challenge accepted to get famous as much for having insanely long and well-kept hair as for acting chops.

Speaking of well-kept hair, I want to grow it waist to classic length so that when I DO become a famous actress, I'm still going to do my hair myself.

SCREW YOU, OVERPRICED CELEBRITY HAIRSTYLISTS.

sharonluvscats
January 17th, 2013, 12:13 PM
I want long hair so I can beat people with my braid. :D

WaitingSoLong
January 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM
So short people. Hmm. Ok. Well I am below 5 and a half foot, I thought most women are.

see_turtle
January 17th, 2013, 01:22 PM
I want to be able to wrap my braid around my (kinda thick I'll blame my Russian descent) neck....I want to look like a mermaid/princess...I like big buns.... I want my hair to cover my (also quite big) breasts...I want to have the longest hair in most rooms even Im the only one who notices or cares.... and this one isn't especially weird but It makes me feel prettier/more feminine and I like that.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM
I would like to have hair longer than everyone I know... currently my neice has hair about an inch longer than mine, but I'm sure she doesn't want waist even.

ETA: Excluding you lovely LHC'ers of course, I couldn't outgrow you guys...

PraiseCheeses
January 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Also admitting a desire to win the secret hair-length competition. :lol:

longNred
January 17th, 2013, 01:57 PM

LMAO! I actually did that in 3rd grade. boy teased me one too many times. Thankfully my mum had done my hair in twin braids, tied off w/ elastics w/ METAL on them. boy was directly behind me in line, on the stairs, lining up to go back to class. boy said something horrible... I knew my braids would meet his face... so I whipped my head around & left a nice red line across his face from the metal on the elastics. boy didn't tease me anymore.

I don't think I have an odd reason, I just like my hair long. I feel I look better. and when I feel I look better, I KNOW I look better.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM
So short people. Hmm. Ok. Well I am below 5 and a half foot, I thought most women are.

Hmmm... I'm five foot 10!

Audhumla
January 17th, 2013, 03:29 PM

5'9" here. I definitely feel like bigfoot next to all the stunning petite Korean girls where I live and 90% of girls in general for that matter.
I think anyone can pull off healthy hair with length depending more on your figure than your height.
For example, I carry my weight in my hips and I think waist, hip or thigh or below (a girl can dream ok :p ) would look good on me but I think if I had classic length hair it wouldn't do my figure any favours at all.

Allychan
January 17th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Because the girls in highschool had such beautiful long hair, mine was always crunchy and dry (from overprocessing) and it made me feel ugly. I longed for their type of hair the way they'd flip their long fringes (bangs) and it would just hang from their heads so beautifully. Sigh :rolleyes:

sadia
January 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
For those of you who mentioned wanting long hair because you guys liked the idea of it covering your private parts and for those who wanted the mermaid like effect... I found something online. The pictures show a lot of skin except of course the parts that are actually covered by the hair. So look at them at your own risk. lol

http://missosology.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68014

Amber_Maiden
January 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM
So I can wrap it several times around my neck like a scarf.

TheLuckyLurker
January 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Thought of another one: a fairly common depiction in anime that features supernatural creatures or humans with supernatural powers is that the the more powerful the character, the longer their hair is (generally speaking, of course. There are exceptions, YMMV, blah, blah, blah). Can you tell I have a thing for power? lol.

EdG
January 17th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I counteract my normally quiet demeanor by having hair that positively screams. :lol:
Ed

trolleypup
January 17th, 2013, 07:50 PM

Been there, done that. Well, pony tail...a braid would be an hazard for actual injury! Accidentally, took off someones glasses once.

To get the whip effect, it pretty much requires your braid be in front of you, and some upper body motion in addition to your neck...be careful not to tweak your neck...kinda messes up the effect if you cringe in pain after. ps: this is for CL or longer...you should be able to whip braids shorter with your hair behind you...at longer lengths, your reach will be more to the sides.

I know I can cover my entire frontage with my hair right now but it would be obvious I was either naked or had on a bikini/thong. However I would never post it here even if it met the guidelines! lol.
Lets just say that the first image I posted here didn't meet the guidelines completely...and there was no doubt about what I was or was not wearing. I'd say that I try to respect the rules, but I know I have posted images on TLHC that only technically met the standards. I guess I should go for a redo on my mermaid picture! Yes, the image was removed, and contact was made with me. :oopsie:

Hmm, in another couple years I could put my hair down my shirt in back and make it look like a horse's tail sticking out the bottom. I am sure Trolley could pull this off already, and anyone else at knee+
Short horsetail, but yes. Should do some pictures on that subject. It leads to unpleasant tangles pretty quickly.

If you're not average height (five and a half feet) or taller, apparently long hair is going to smother you, make you look like you're perpetually twelve, or make you look like Cousin It. Granted, most people who say that are magazines or hairstylists who stay on top of trends.

I'm five feet tall. Challenge accepted to get famous as much for having insanely long and well-kept hair as for acting chops.

Speaking of well-kept hair, I want to grow it waist to classic length so that when I DO become a famous actress, I'm still going to do my hair myself.

"Smother" - Well that is MY lookout, huh?
"12" - not so good when you are young, but eventually, hey! Getting carded when you are entitled to the senior discount? WIN!
"Cousin Itt" - Aaannnd? Bad thing where? Plus...bonus cheap Halloween costume!

I would like to have hair longer than everyone I know... currently my niece has hair about an inch longer than mine, but I'm sure she doesn't want waist even.

ETA: Excluding you lovely LHC'ers of course, I couldn't outgrow you guys...
Ain't that the Truth! Grrrrr!

Ahh, so you hear the "You are too tall for long hair"? :rolleyes:

hypersensitive
January 18th, 2013, 12:07 AM
lmao astraea, that might be the most original one yet!

I wonder if there is a poll about this yet? It would be fun to see the bar graphs... How common, for example, is wanting long hair to look more like an elf/mythical being/renaissance painting? How overwhelmingly a majority grow their hair because they enjoy the feeling of it against more and more of their skin? How many of us like the idea of being naked but revealing nothing? Etc

if it doesn't exist yet, i would create it.

you should create it!!!

YumiYume
January 18th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Oh how could I forget! Anime, all the awesome long hairs there and how it flows so pretty and perfect. I was realy into anime and I even concidered different colours depending on what character I liked the most XD I used to want to live in an anime world :P

I am 5 foot 3 inch, in sweden that is small but in asia I think that would be average or even tall?

you who are tall do have a woman/models height in my opinion :blossom:! I have to come up with "good to be small" things all the time to not feel.. well.. to short/childlike. but, long hair I shall have anyway :P!

MaryMarx
January 18th, 2013, 01:46 AM
I love that reason. :D

So when someday I'm not happy with myself I can put it down and feel better :D
Me too!

Also admitting a desire to win the secret hair-length competition. :lol:
Oh well, me too... :rolleyes: I only have one long haired friend, she's kind of WL and 80% of it is extensions. :whistle:

Because the girls in highschool had such beautiful long hair, mine was always crunchy and dry (from overprocessing) and it made me feel ugly.
I longed for their type of hair the way they'd flip their long fringes (bangs) and it would just hang from their heads so beautifully. Sigh :rolleyes:
I have the exact same reason! I got tired of watching healthy, long, beautiful hair flip that wasn't mine.

I counteract my normally quiet demeanor by having hair that positively screams. :lol:
Ed
I really like this one. :)

clanless
January 18th, 2013, 04:06 AM
to pass as a girl lol

MaryMarx
January 18th, 2013, 04:21 AM
to pass as a girl lol
Awesome. :D

WaitingSoLong
January 18th, 2013, 05:23 AM
For those of you who mentioned wanting long hair because you guys liked the idea of it covering your private parts and for those who wanted the mermaid like effect... I found something online. The pictures show a lot of skin except of course the parts that are actually covered by the hair. So look at them at your own risk. lol

http://missosology.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68014

Those are GREAT pics! Very artistic and tastefully done! I have always wanted to do one like where she is laying on the beach and her hair is spread around in a fan-like pattern around her. She has STUNNING hair! I wonder if she is here?

Ed

I love this! DANG we need a LIKE button here.

Nae
January 18th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Lady Amalthea. Nuff said.

neko_kawaii
January 18th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Lady Amalthea. Nuff said.

Along with Clearbrook.

dollyfish
January 18th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Like so many here, my "odd" reasons for growing my hair long are Tolkien (/ Peter Jackson's films) and folklore and mythology (mermaids, faeries, goddesses, etc.). I am also feeling so much more comfortable with my appearance, and more feminine, now that I am growing my hair out... and it is only at shoulder so far! I had a pixie for years. The difference is unbelievable. I am feeling more like "me." Maybe a little "odd," too, is that for the first time ever, I do not have bangs (well... I am growing them out for the first time ever, they are not gone yet), and it's as if I have a face for the first time ever! I am learning to embrace my face, haha. I no longer resemble a sheepdog. It is great to feel so much less self-conscious and comfortable in my own skin month by month: also a natural consequence of outgrowing teenagerhood, I guess.

Just want to jump in to say that, SlipJig, I think we are the same person, and you said this all much better than I ever could have :)

ETA:

I am 5 foot 3 inch, in sweden that is small but in asia I think that would be average or even tall?

you who are tall do have a woman/models height in my opinion :blossom:! I have to come up with "good to be small" things all the time to not feel.. well.. to short/childlike. but, long hair I shall have anyway :P!

Coming from a tall girl, try your best to savor and be grateful for every fullbody hug you get, especially the kind where you tuck your head beneath the chin of the other person. I haven't been able to do that sort of thing since I was 12! And forget being picked up, spun around, carried, or any of that romcom stuff :lol:
I'd love to be short. We all want what we can't have :)

YumiYume
January 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Coming from a tall girl, try your best to savor and be grateful for every fullbody hug you get, especially the kind where you tuck your head beneath the chin of the other person. I haven't been able to do that sort of thing since I was 12! And forget being picked up, spun around, carried, or any of that romcom stuff :lol:
I'd love to be short. We all want what we can't have :)

I never thought about it that way... =/
But I wanted to sheer you guys up for having beautiful women bodies =/

dollyfish
January 18th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I never thought about it that way... =/
But I wanted to sheer you guys up for having beautiful women bodies =/

Oh, I know! I like my own body fine, and I like my height for many reasons. Being small has its perks, and being tall has its perks. Just, in response to the whole thing about having a "woman's" body, I want you to know that to me, small women are infinitely more feminine and graceful than I, the towering plow maiden, could ever hope to be ;) Keep on truckin, tiny dancer!

bubblyredhead
January 18th, 2013, 04:03 PM
To help cover my boobs so that when i wear a slightly different neck style than a tshirt i dont look like a total slut even with a tank top

Naiadryade
January 18th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Okay folks, I made a poll based on this thread. Go vote on it! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110058

I wasn't able to include everyone's awesome reasons, but I did my best to choose those that are both interesting/strange and shared by multiple folks. Sometimes I combined several similar reasons into one option. I hope everyone is satisfied with what they can choose!

There was no room for cheese, though. Sorry.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Been there, done that. Well, pony tail...a braid would be an hazard for actual injury! Accidentally, took off someones glasses once.

To get the whip effect, it pretty much requires your braid be in front of you, and some upper body motion in addition to your neck...be careful not to tweak your neck...kinda messes up the effect if you cringe in pain after. ps: this is for CL or longer...you should be able to whip braids shorter with your hair behind you...at longer lengths, your reach will be more to the sides.

Lets just say that the first image I posted here didn't meet the guidelines completely...and there was no doubt about what I was or was not wearing. I'd say that I try to respect the rules, but I know I have posted images on TLHC that only technically met the standards. I guess I should go for a redo on my mermaid picture! Yes, the image was removed, and contact was made with me. :oopsie:

Short horsetail, but yes. Should do some pictures on that subject. It leads to unpleasant tangles pretty quickly.

"Smother" - Well that is MY lookout, huh?
"12" - not so good when you are young, but eventually, hey! Getting carded when you are entitled to the senior discount? WIN!
"Cousin Itt" - Aaannnd? Bad thing where? Plus...bonus cheap Halloween costume!

Ain't that the Truth! Grrrrr!

Ahh, so you hear the "You are too tall for long hair"? :rolleyes:

Hah - nope! but I get - you are too old for long hair - all the time!

CaranDulin
January 19th, 2013, 12:06 AM

Haha, I second this!

biogirl87
January 19th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Part of it is that the last time my hair was long was in early grade school, and I've had between mid-neck and almost collar bone for all of my teens and got tired of having shorter hair. The other part is that I feel women were always meant to have long hair.

Luminaria
January 19th, 2013, 01:36 AM
Two reasons. To see if I can grow it long (I've always had a little past shoulder-length hair -_-). To weigh down my hair (it's curly, frizzy, and VERY poofy -____-).

schweedie
January 19th, 2013, 01:57 AM
I have two reasons, I guess. Firstly - and while this isn't odd to LHC folks, most people outside don't get it - because I want to be able to put it up. People outside seem to think this is extremely weird; "Why have long hair if you never wear it down?" Well, I wanted long hair to be able to do all these different updos!

Second... I've never stood out. There's nothing about me that's ever stuck out (well, except for my long nose), but having really long hair is unusual around here, and now I'm the girl with hair longer than pretty much everyone I know. It's a small thing, but it's fun to have something that's specific to you!

MaryMarx
January 19th, 2013, 02:30 AM
Okay folks, I made a poll based on this thread. Go vote on it! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=110058

I wasn't able to include everyone's awesome reasons, but I did my best to choose those that are both interesting/strange and shared by multiple folks. Sometimes I combined several similar reasons into one option. I hope everyone is satisfied with what they can choose!

There was no room for cheese, though. Sorry.

I'll check it out immediately! :)

Ishje
January 19th, 2013, 03:40 AM
because I like the feeling of my hair tickling my back :oops:

WaitingSoLong
January 19th, 2013, 05:52 AM
I have two reasons, I guess. Firstly - and while this isn't odd to LHC folks, most people outside don't get it - because I want to be able to put it up. People outside seem to think this is extremely weird; "Why have long hair if you never wear it down?" Well, I wanted long hair to be able to do all these different updos!

Second... I've never stood out. There's nothing about me that's ever stuck out (well, except for my long nose), but having really long hair is unusual around here, and now I'm the girl with hair longer than pretty much everyone I know. It's a small thing, but it's fun to have something that's specific to you!

I started growing my hair for both these reasons initially. I HAVE to be able to put my hair up and get it of my face. It is essential to me. I didn't realize it would be quite SO convenient, though, until it got to the longer lengths. I can "do my hair" in about 5 minutes and 4.5 minutes of that is detangling. :)

I am quiet IRL and "plain jane" and still am when my hair is up. No one realizes the secret length I have all wadded up in these stick buns. But when it is down, when I FEEL like being noticed, my hair draws the eyes in the room. Since I am reserved, I wait til I am in the mood for this and usually get a comment or two.

OakTreeGirl
January 19th, 2013, 06:45 AM
My "oddest" reason for wanting long hair is that I very rarely wear makeup, and I don't use hair styling products. What this means is that I don't have a lot I enjoy doing to primp and preen. I want to take pride in my appearance. It's not that I don't take pride in shorter hair. But it's nice to have something to fuss with and arrange and be creative about.

I have a friend who does some fantastic makeup. She's always experimenting and getting creative. She looks stunning, but never in a million years would I have any interst in doing the same. Just watching her apply all the layers looks too confusing to me. I'd never keep track of what was for what. Even before I was interested in long hair, I did not put styling products in my hair. Again, keeping track of what was for what would bug the hell out of me. My growing hair is my canvas. I can be creative, experiment, and show off! And, funnily enough, I'm not bothered by the complexity of experimenting with moisturizing treatments and figuring out which one works best. Maybe I just had to find my passion!

Oh, and also, when I'm grey haired, I wanna be a sexy grandma!

Avital88
January 19th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Because i dont like My shouldermuscles and My hair perfectly hides them :)) also because i use My hair As a blanket when cold and its great to hide yourself behind a ones hair

Tristania
January 19th, 2013, 08:13 AM
1) I like to stand out in the crowd.
2) I want to be able to hide my bacne while wearing a tank top, as gross as that may sound.

alexis917
January 19th, 2013, 09:32 AM
I find hair helps me cope with anxiety.
When I'm nervous or upset- like when we have those suicide prevention assemblies at school-
I twist it around my hands, I fishtail braid little sections, I braid the whole length, I run my hands through it.
It's a strange habit, but it calms me down!

Ligeia_13
January 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM

This is true of myself as well. I'm perfectly average in every single way and my hair is the one thing I can change :)

Angelica
January 19th, 2013, 05:22 PM
I want to have long hair because I am never able to grow my hair to the extreme lengths others can. It always seems to get to a certain length and then it is so tatty I need to tidy it up. :( When I was a child it never grew really really really long either and I never used hairspray and only washed it once a week. Others could grow their hair down to their bum no trouble.

I also like being individual. My hair is up 95% of the time, not because I believe it protects it, but it usually looks nicer up. I also think short hair looks so samey. I remember working in an office once and there were about four girls who not only had similar short hair styles, but had also bleached it to the same colour.

I also like long hair because my father always hated my long hair because it was so straight and thin.

I feel more feminine with long hair and love brushing it.

HairFaerie
January 19th, 2013, 06:10 PM
...because the HairFaeries told me to! :magic:

jennafrogg
January 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM
We want to have another kid in about five years, and I'd really like to have a picture of my belly covered with long hair.

WaitingSoLong
January 19th, 2013, 07:16 PM
I am amazed at how many people are defying parents. This I do not understand?

Sharysa
January 19th, 2013, 07:54 PM
A lot of American women seem to have problems with our parents forcing us into certain hairstyles (usually short) in childhood. The reasons range from cost/maintenance problems or full-blown control issues on the parent's part. I've read HORROR STORIES about the latter on my Livejournal community.

And part of it is just the satisfaction of growing out our hair and finally being able to shrug off the nagging, because we don't depend on our parents anymore.

No, I'm not one of the girls whose mothers used to take them for a haircut every few months because her mother constantly says long hair makes people look too old.

AnqeIicDemise
January 20th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Mine was a bet!

DH swore I wouldn't grow it past my shoulders. I said I could as I had it classic length before. He said he'd bet anything that I couldn't last. (I was getting my hair cut every month, 3-4 weeks.)

Well, I forgot WHAT we were betting, although I won. I mean, its down past my hips now, 1 inch or so to TBL. Now if go in for hair trims kicking and screaming because I discovered how *fun* it is to have long hair and change up the way it looks by styling it differently. I still get bored sometimes and dye it but it isn't the constant hair style change I was going under 4 years ago.

YumiYume
January 20th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Oh, I know! I like my own body fine, and I like my height for many reasons. Being small has its perks, and being tall has its perks. Just, in response to the whole thing about having a "woman's" body, I want you to know that to me, small women are infinitely more feminine and graceful than I, the towering plow maiden, could ever hope to be ;) Keep on truckin, tiny dancer!

Im glad to hear that :)
yeah I guess that everything is both good and bad in different ways :)

aww I see :P, maby it is easy to forget that we are all beautiful in our own way of being :)
haha sure, but I dance as graceful as a refrigerator ;)

YumiYume
January 20th, 2013, 01:47 AM
about defying parents:
I was not aloud to cut my hair so it was in such a bad shape and the ends was so ratty touching wais. I dreamed of cuttting it off but I did not dare to. I even let a horse eat on it once so I could cut a bit off. I got buillied a lot, and a lot of stupid things was about my crappy hair and the way I dressed, I did not look like I wanted to. and nothing had to do with religion, only that my mother said that females should have long hair and that males only liked it that way and that it looked the best. so, as 15 year old when I moved to my father I cut it all of into a pixie, I felt so free! (ofcaurse I had other problems then but at least fo my hair) then I let it grow, experimented and then cut again and so on for years. I guess that defying meens to feel how free you are to decide for your own, excpecially when you have had parents/adults that ruled you bit too much, and no mather how old you get there will always be tracks deep in your mind from your childhood

CitznMag
January 20th, 2013, 03:33 AM
My father's 4a hair and mother's 1a hair equalled 3b/c for me. Growing up my mom always kept my hair in a short curly fro believing it could never grow down unless I did chemical straightening. So growing it long and staying natural has been to disprove that. More importantly, it just makes me happy and the process of combing/brushing it out and braiding it at the end of the evening is very therapeutic.

AngryVikingGirl
January 20th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Thought of another one: a fairly common depiction in anime that features supernatural creatures or humans with supernatural powers is that the the more powerful the character, the longer their hair is (generally speaking, of course. There are exceptions, YMMV, blah, blah, blah). Can you tell I have a thing for power? lol.
Hey, I have this reason too! Not the only one, but one of them. ;)

Dark Rapunzel
January 20th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Mine too! But I'm more of the Woodland Realm type ;)

I completely agree! With naturally brown hair that's hennaed to have red highlights and after having seen pics of Tauriel from Hobbit part 2, I think I qualify for the Woodland realm type too. See you in Greenwood XD

Anapeli
January 20th, 2013, 07:20 PM
In my minds eye, i see myself, if my hubby and i would ever, ever call it quits (his fault, if course. But it really wouldn't happen) I see me wearing a short white dress, thin, muscular, buxom and long wavy black hair flowing and then i run into him. Why? No clue but I sure look good!

CousinItt
January 20th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I'm happy that was a multiple choice poll, because there's a few reasons why I want long hair. I want a long silver braid when I'm old. I want to have hair like a pre-raphaelite painting. I want to defy cultural norms and familial expectations. My entire youth I had short hair (ranging from bobs to OMG, where did it go!?) which suits me fine. While I had short hair, my parents said I should grow it, so I grow it now that I'm older, and they say I should cut it, and that I'm getting too old for long hair - although, my mother loves my updos. I've been trying to convince her that she should grow her gorgeous and thick salt-and-pepper hair so she can do updos as well, but she went and cut her hair shorter :(

maborosi
January 20th, 2013, 11:59 PM
I guess my odd reason is for my boyfriend. Ha!

I want my hair long because I like it personally, but I've come to find out that my dbf was more enamored with it than I realized. :P

~maborosi~

trolleypup
January 21st, 2013, 10:48 PM
Well, who knows..."Climb every mountain!"

trolleypup
January 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM
I am amazed at how many people are defying parents. This I do not understand?
Avoiding haircuts pissed my Mom off, so, of course, I had to keep growing (this was about the extent of my teenage rebellion!)

...then I realized that I like longer hair...

qijino1236
January 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Cause I am transgender and want to look and feel more womanly.

Coolcombination
January 22nd, 2013, 06:59 AM
Because I want to learn how to braid, I want to see how long I can grow between trims,I want to see whether my hair curls more as it grows longer, It's how I picture myself, I want to see how waist length hair feels, I want to be different :)

long-hair-lover
January 22nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
To feel it flowing down my back and to be able to do lotssss of different styles with it, I'm kinda limited atm:(

makeminea99
January 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM

Aha! I'm also of the five feet tall persuasion. I think being this sort of height gives one a certain advantage ;) as one's hair doesn't have quite so far to grow to reach those milestones! Hip length (where I'm currently at) on me is just 31 inches. Hoorah for being smaller and more highly concentrated!

Sharysa
January 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Aha! I'm also of the five feet tall persuasion. I think being this sort of height gives one a certain advantage ;) as one's hair doesn't have quite so far to grow to reach those milestones! Hip length (where I'm currently at) on me is just 31 inches. Hoorah for being smaller and more highly concentrated!

Whoo, more tiny people! Waist-length is thirty inches on me, but I've got about half a foot before then, and at least eight or ten inches if I want waist-length waves. :( I'm used to my landmarks being three or four inches away, so now I'm getting REALLY impatient.

Aeris
January 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
One of my favorite things about having it long is that it can give me a totally different image. I wear it up almost all the time in public, but it's always down for my husband. I love that he is the only one who gets to see it all wild and loose :) It makes it very special, even though it was long before I even met him. He wished I wore it down in public more, but at the same time, he thinks it's nice that I want to save it for his eyes only.

Interestingly enough, I wore my hair down when we went out on our first two or three dates, but once we were a definite couple, I started wearing it up when we were out. I didn't really think about it that much then though, it just seemed like the natural thing for me to do.

Remyy
January 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM
To embody Joanna Newsom (http://stereogum.com/img/joanna_newsom-bam27.jpg) :)

faellen
January 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I want to feel it flowing behind me when I'm riding a horse! Bit hard with a helmet on though :(

Tabihito
January 24th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Because I want to have a ginormous bun, and the only way to manage that is with very long hair (mine is quite on the thinner side). My first year of ROTC, I actually got some comments about how ridiculously puny my bun was, because it was seriously puny. Shoulder-length hair with layers meant that most of it wasn't even in the bun, it was bobby-pinned.

hotshot0121
January 24th, 2013, 01:53 PM
I don't know if this is odd but I would like to grow my hair out long to have a long braid. I think braids look cool.

Sharysa
January 24th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I love braids as well. I'm going to LOVE when my hair gets long enough for a waist-length fishtail braid.

omgitssarah
January 24th, 2013, 04:35 PM
So that I can do a rainbow caterpillar/banded/French pony allllllll the way down to my butt, then weave it through to make an updo like Torrin did.

RileyJane
January 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM
i find it strange that a lot of people's mothers liked to keep their childrens hair short, but i guess if you dont like to detangle or do updos for the kid... my mother was quite the opposite, i never had my hair cut until i was about 14, except for the few trims to maintain it. i actually chopped my hair off to a bob cuz i have never had short hair ever...and my mom cried. now im wishing i listened to her and never chopped it in the first place, my hair would be at a comfy classic by now :)

hotshot0121
January 24th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I love braids as well. I'm going to LOVE when my hair gets long enough for a waist-length fishtail braid.

A waist length long fishtail braid would look so pretty

Naiadryade
January 24th, 2013, 09:17 PM
Here's a new one...

I want hair like Katara from Avatar: the Last Airbender.

http://i50.tinypic.com/ixsbvm.png

I think I can achieve it, too. I have dark brown, slightly wavy, relatively thick hair like her. It just doesn't cover anywhere near my whole back!

Sharysa
January 24th, 2013, 10:40 PM
My hair is black, but I do have Katara's ridiculous thickness and slight wave. It's mid-back length and it literally covers the top half my back.

Alun
January 24th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Well, who knows..."Climb every mountain!"

LOL!

Avoiding haircuts pissed my Mom off, so, of course, I had to keep growing (this was about the extent of my teenage rebellion!)

...then I realized that I like longer hair...

I didn't grow mine to piss off my mum, BUT her opposition to long hair is undoubtedly why I still have long hair more than 40 years later!

MaryMarx
January 25th, 2013, 04:26 AM
I don't know if this is odd but I would like to grow my hair out long to have a long braid. I think braids look cool.

Not that odd, I think. ;)

hotshot0121
January 25th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Not that odd, I think. ;)

It might be considered odd since I'm a guy

Cristina84
January 25th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Hi girls!
i wanna my hair longer 'cause i feel it so short!
but i think that my real problem is another: hair is my drug!!!!! :o

(i'm waist lenght)

HappyHair87
January 27th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I read this whole thread! Love the replies!:D

I just recently discovered my 3c curls grow downward now....yay!!!

I would just like my curls to reach BSL, im almost APL curly now.

I am obsessed with long curls and would love to have to fingercomb a whole mess of long curls in the shower.

Naiadryade
January 27th, 2013, 03:56 PM
My hair is black, but I do have Katara's ridiculous thickness and slight wave. It's mid-back length and it literally covers the top half my back.

Ooh, lucky. I don't have quite the ridiculous thickness... yet. I'm hoping castor oil and the right routine will get me there though. Historically I've had a 4" ponytail. The egg wash I did yesterday seemed to give my hair volume without making it poofy, so I might incorporate those more.

Kayla Nyx
January 27th, 2013, 11:29 PM
for me, having longer hair will make me feel pretty. I dont like much about myself, but it I can have long and beautiful hair it will help me so much.

SnowWhite
January 29th, 2013, 11:16 AM
I'm half Dutch half Mexican... I have also French, Italian, Jewish and Aztec blood. I look European, especially when I had my bob. But when my hair is longer, I look more Mexican. I'm growing out my hair because I want to emphasize my Mexican, Aztec features. That may sound so weird, but I'd love to look more exotic.
I also like to feel 'close' to nature. Long hair, natural skin care routines, healthy food pattern makes me feel closer to our beautiful earth.

MaryMarx
February 4th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Oh, I see! A bit more odd then. :)

laceyfairy
February 11th, 2013, 06:08 AM

I relate to this. At the same time, I don't like it when people assume I'm straight because I have less-short (it's not long yet, in my opinion) hair.

Fyral
February 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM

Long braids on men look awesome, and especially here I don't think you will find it as strange as you think.

Earelia
February 11th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Long hair = epic head banging.

Alienor
February 11th, 2013, 07:51 AM
When I was a child my hair was short like a boy, it was my parent's choice and during many years I thought long hair was not for me.
Now I've decided to let my hair grow as long as possible to see how long it could be. I feel free and really myself like that, closer to the nature too:).

Naiadryade
February 11th, 2013, 10:45 AM
I relate to this. At the same time, I don't like it when people assume I'm straight because I have less-short (it's not long yet, in my opinion) hair.

And I can relate to this! I'm queer (attracted to multiple genders), but people definitely assume I'm straight a lot because I have long hair and am rather feminine. Often including women I'm attracted to! Long hair (longer than now, really) makes me feel like me, and I wouldn't cut it short just to make it clear to ladies that I'm an option... but it's definitely been frustrating at times.

So how's that for an odd-reason-having-long-hair-doesn't-help-me.

Seeshami
February 12th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Because I can think of at least three people I can chase with my hair and they will run away from it because it annoys them.

DMARTINEZ
February 13th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Because its really the easiest to take care of. NO hair apts needed! Put it up and forget about it! Yada yada....lol

Deb

rock007junkie
February 13th, 2013, 12:04 PM

I love this reason! :rockerdud

Helix
February 13th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Not sure if it's odd, but cosplaying is a fun activity I enjoy on occasion and most of the characters I like to cosplay just happen to have long locks. It would save me a buck or two in costume expenses if I would just grow my own.

Oh, and just once I would like to be escorted out of a movie theater because my hair was obstructing the audience's view. The funny thing is I don't enjoy drawing attention to myself, nor am I obnoxious...but I like my hair to be.

dancingrain91
February 13th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Because I feel like proving I can be a feminine woman engineer without all this hair suffocating my braincells or whatever it is people think. I've noticed the further into science I've gotten the more women tell me that caring about my appearance is a sign that I'm not serious enough. Yet many of the guys come to class dressed like first class businessmen. I find this odd. If I want to look like a pretty and feminine business woman going to class, shouldn't that be a good thing? The long hair isn't "businessy" but it can certainly look professional.

theemeraldskull
February 13th, 2013, 10:19 PM
My hair makes me feel powerful. I am more confident when I have it down, all flowing luscious and beautiful. :-)

I also always wanted it long enough to tickle the top of my naked rear. ;-)

Ivybelle
February 14th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Because I feel like proving I can be a feminine woman engineer without all this hair suffocating my braincells or whatever it is people think. I've noticed the further into science I've gotten the more women tell me that caring about my appearance is a sign that I'm not serious enough. Yet many of the guys come to class dressed like first class businessmen. I find this odd. If I want to look like a pretty and feminine business woman going to class, shouldn't that be a good thing? The long hair isn't "businessy" but it can certainly look professional.

I also feel like this a bit. Not one women I've met that is a professional in my science field has had long hair. Also the make-up and pretty clothes (not really my thing) seems to wear out on girls while still undergrads.

I'm going in the opposite direction. I'm growing my hair long because I love the way it looks and I've started to care more about my appearance. As things work out career wise I find I WANT to make the time to feel good in all areas of my life.

auburntressed
February 14th, 2013, 02:56 AM
I want long hair because I love long braids.

SnowWhite
February 14th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Not sure if it's odd, but cosplaying is a fun activity I enjoy on occasion and most of the characters I like to cosplay just happen to have long locks. It would save me a buck or two in costume expenses if I would just grow my own.

Oh, and just once I would like to be escorted out of a movie theater because my hair was obstructing the audience's view. The funny thing is I don't enjoy drawing attention to myself, nor am I obnoxious...but I like my hair to be.

I love this! :P

Fyral
February 14th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Edit: nvm damn 10 character limits.

Vanille_
February 14th, 2013, 03:00 PM
My goal was to be able to pull my hair forward cover my naked breasts (like in those artistic photos) and have it reach my belly button. The ends are just now there but it needs a little more to make me happy. If I ever get fit, I'd like an artistic photo like that. Well.. now that that goal is kind of reached, I want it to be
long enough to reach the floor when I sit cross legged on the floor. I know... really weird goals.

GrowingOut
February 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM
I want to look like paintings, and the Finnish Maiden, even though her hair is blonde. I guess it's look pretty with long skirts and dresses!

Friesian Rider
February 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I wanted long hair so it would pull my curls out. I hated my tight curls....and it worked!

Achlys
February 14th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I want my hair to lay on my lap when I'm sitting.

SGBSteve
February 15th, 2013, 06:05 PM

Yes!! So true!! I was at a three day rock/metal festival last month and my hair was just long enough (just past my ears) for me to actually feel my hair whipping around while I was headbanging. I forgot how great of a sensation that is.

For me, I like the fact that I can change my appearance on a whim now and look like a slightly different person each day. Even if my choices are only loose, ponytail or half up/half loose thats still more choices than a year ago when I had no choice at all and every day I looked exactly the same.

gnome82
February 15th, 2013, 06:34 PM
When I first decided to start growing my hair, I was missing my old length (waist) and wanting to feel closer to nature by just letting it grow.

MaryMarx
February 16th, 2013, 07:58 AM

That second reason was the best. :laugh:

rowie
February 18th, 2013, 12:19 AM
The oddest reason why I want long hair is for warmth. I want to be able to use my hair like a scarf, and maybe someday help warm my back on top of wearing a sweater on a cool autumn night. :o

windinherhair
February 18th, 2013, 07:28 AM
As a child I felt insecure with myself (even a little today).. One of my odd reasons for wanting long hair was to cover my back because I had a lot of scars and acne, and to cover my ears because I thought they were too big. It's funny because now I dont even think of my ears! I wear my hair up at work all the time now, especially with ficcares. I still dont like to show my back though. I think I have a very broad back. haha
Of course the other reasons were not really odd... wanting long hair being inspired by actresses with long hair, and all my dolls had long hair. I mainly wanted long hair because I thought it was pretty!

EndlessSunshine
February 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Because I will feel like a mythical sorceress. ...

EdG
February 18th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Superhero cape.

Okay, I just had to say that. :D
Ed

samanthaj08
February 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
The way my hair is, if it is to short it poofs out. So I just kept growing, and from laziness forgot to cut it, and here I am almost 30".

When I braid it to go running, my shadow looks like I have a tail swaying from my head.

When I'm joking, I gently slap my bf in the face with my braid.

When I'm feeling shy or having a bad acne day, I can be covered easily.

If I have the patience and time, I can look like a different person every day.

When I'm in a crowded room, I get a small thrill each time I determine I have the longest hair in the room.

I'm very shy and plain, so my hair usually brings people to talk to me so I can make friends and talk to them without having to feel uncomfortable.

Dziip
February 19th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Superhero cape.

Ed

Love this one !

Latte Lady
February 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Mostly because my inner child likes the fact that I have long hair and almost nobody else does. I also get a secret thrill when little girls walk by and think I'm a princess. Make my inner little girl do a happy dance!

silverthread
February 19th, 2013, 12:29 PM
I like the way it feels on my back.

truepeacenik
February 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Superhero cape.

Ed

Pics. Just had to say that.
I'm envisioning you in tights and a bodysuit and shiny vegan boots, and maybe a mask of some sort....now THAT is a calendar shot.

Cania
February 19th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I wanted hair just like this, ever since I first saw it... just a tad longer.

ETA: Oops! Picture was huuuuge :( Here's a link, instead!

Click me :) (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/016/e/7/tifa___ff7_by_lightsfall-d5roa60.jpg)

I finally have that, more or less, but the colour is ever changing :D

EdG
February 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Pics. Just had to say that. I'm envisioning you in tights and a bodysuit and shiny vegan boots, and maybe a mask of some sort....now THAT is a calendar shot.:bigeyes:

:eek:

:nono:

That might work better if I had the body build of Christopher Reeve rather than Woody Allen. I'll need to think of something for the calendar thread. :ponder:
Ed

lydiajo
February 19th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I don't really know that I have a reason. I just like it long.

samanthaj08
February 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Mostly because my inner child likes the fact that I have long hair and almost nobody else does. I also get a secret thrill when little girls walk by and think I'm a princess. Make my inner little girl do a happy dance!

I had a girl ask me if I was a mermaid once. Made my year

silverthread
February 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Superhero cape.

Ed

LOVE IT!! I have to use a towel.

Sharysa
February 20th, 2013, 02:44 PM
So my photographer friend has gotten into a MAGAZINE.

I want to be one of her models when my hair reaches waist-length braid-waves.

Mandie
February 20th, 2013, 04:04 PM
I would loooove to be a hair model. That would be so awesome! Although I'd definitely only be willing to model for styles and hair products, no cuts for me thankyouverymuch.

My weird reason? Not my only one, but my weird one, is I've always wanted to be able to wrap my hair around my neck when I was outside and cold. I want to be able to wrap it all the way around at least once and then tuck the ends and have a hairscarf so when I forget my other scarf I can improvise. I hope to be able to make it all the way around solidly by next winter. :pray:

animetor7
February 22nd, 2013, 10:20 PM
Because I want elf princess hair plain and simple and utterly shallow and selfish. Ah well I can get all philosophical about other things.

EndlessSunshine
February 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
I know that tgis isn't odd but I like how my long hair is easier to care for. I either like really short or really long hair on myself.

nena_shawty
February 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM
To be more feminine to my husband to be :) He loves long hair .. and I just love playing with it . I just think long hair is the glory of a woman.

OilPaint
February 26th, 2013, 05:15 AM
I've never paid anyone for a haircut and I still don't really want to...
Until a couple of years ago didn't even do any s&d unless I got something stuck in my hair. I've grown really emotionally attached to it and the idea of cutting it is rather stressful and upsetting to me most of the time. I currently work as a diesel mechanics helper and I like the fact that even though I'm in a predominantly male profession that I can be a "girly girl" on weekends or in the evenings after work if I want to be.

The only reason I ever considered cutting it, and it would just be to around classic or knee probably, would be pregnancy; just to make washing/drying easier between work and the growing baby-belly.

selenir
February 26th, 2013, 10:42 PM
A self-defeating reason! Whenever someone tells me to cut my hair, I want to grow it longer to swish and hit them with it. (:

sammiesamm
February 26th, 2013, 11:25 PM
I always pictured having long hair when I had kids : P My husband is bugging me about having children and I wont do it until I have waist length hair : D

Swissmiss2584
March 2nd, 2013, 12:12 AM
I want to feel like an Irish Renaissance Princess with long flowing wavy hair. It makes me feel feminine. I think it tells people that I know what I want because I have the patience to grow my hair past my waist. :D

MasCat
March 2nd, 2013, 04:37 AM
So I can wear a skirt that is shorter than my hair and still be decent (not there yet ;))

Kyaatje
March 3rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
because when my hair is longer I feel more connected with the ancients and the wise :P
I know, I know ...

GoldenSilk
March 4th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I started growing my hair out again because I bet my then-new boyfriend that I could pass his hair length in under a year!

I did, too! From about three inches behind!

Now, my goal is longer than it was in high school (tailbone), in better condition. I don't think I'll ever have it short again... It was more work and didn't look as good. But that's a much more practical reason, so maybe it doesn't belong in this thread. :P

MaryMarx
March 7th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I came up with one more.
I want my hair long so that I can see how the colour changes with the seasons, so I can look at my hair and say "ah, that was that super cold winter, and there I was on vacation in the Caribbean for six months" (I wish!!).
That would be cool. :)

I love all of your reasons. :)
We need more, bring 'em on. All the weird, strange reasons.

MORE
March 7th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I really feel that having a knee-long braid would make me superwoman.

Latte Lady
March 7th, 2013, 11:47 AM
After dealing with an annoying waiter yesterday my Sister told me to strangle him with my braid and I could wash the evidence out later. Made me smile. Wonder if it'd work?

herdaughter77
March 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Well, it's probably naughty of me, but I have had thoughts about wanting it to grow too long for me so I have to cut it. You know, past my feet. So then I would have to experience short hair without making the decision by myself. Does that make any sense?
L:D But I don't like this idea all the time.

ETA: I've never had short hair..

MaryMarx
March 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
I really feel that having a knee-long braid would make me superwoman.
It sure would!

MORE
March 7th, 2013, 11:24 PM
It sure would!

:D

I really can't wait! Hmmm, maybe I should do a super long parandi so I will know what it will feel like:cool:

MaryMarx
March 8th, 2013, 01:11 AM
:D

I really can't wait! Hmmm, maybe I should do a super long parandi so I will know what it will feel like:cool:
Great idea! Reminds me of when I was younger and wore a blanket on my head, pretending it was my princess hair.
Maybe I should try that too. :p

ladora
March 8th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Strangely enough, I'd never thought about long hair or keeping long hair until I was 15 or so. I was a huge fan of Avril (please don't judge me, eek) back then and I really loved her long hair and how it was so swishy and long and beautiful. Now of course, I realise that a lot of it was hair extensions, but ever since then I've always decided that long hair's the way to go for me, and I don't think I would ever go back to having short hair. Plus I like to dye my hair red, and IMO I think it looks better on me with long hair.

Zindell
March 8th, 2013, 09:22 AM
because when my hair is longer I feel more connected with the ancients and the wise :P

I like this. And I agree. :o

Zindell
March 8th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Because I want elf princess hair plain and simple and utterly shallow and selfish. Ah well I can get all philosophical about other things.

Oh, I like this too. :p

AnthonyB93
March 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Not sure if this is odd or not, but like the Nazarites they grew their hair out to prove their devotion to God. So, Im growing my hair out to remind me of my devotion to God and my faith.

MaryMarx
March 9th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Not sure if this is odd or not, but like the Nazarites they grew their hair out to prove their devotion to God. So, Im growing my hair out to remind me of my devotion to God and my faith.

I'm not religious, but that's a very beautiful reason. :)

bradlea
March 9th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I want to feel like an Irish Renaissance Princess with long flowing wavy hair. It makes me feel feminine. I think it tells people that I know what I want because I have the patience to grow my hair past my waist. :D

I so agree with both of these things! I think I want to prove to myself I have the patience more than anyone else. I've been trying to grow my hair out for about six years and keep doing things to it that keep me from reaching my goal. No more!

kittengirl
March 9th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Many reasons. I would love to have hair like the ladies in the Merchant Ivory films. I love old-fashioned things. Also, it makes me feel like I have something that is different from other people, just a part of me. It is nearly BSL now, but I have a silly fantasy that once it is a good bit longer I will wear it down one day and everyone will be shocked that I have long hair. You see, I wear it up every single day so the people I work with have never seen my hair, lol!