PDA

View Full Version : Questions about beards.

BabyFirefly
January 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM
First of all, please excuse my English, it is not my first language.

Now for my questions! My DH has grown a beard (yey!) but it's getting very tangled and I thought that the lovely people of the forum might be able to offer some help. His current routine is SC, the conditioner has cones in it. He let's it dry and then brushes it with a regular hairbrush. On festive occasions he usually puts some soft hair wax in it to give it some stability. It is very curly and poofy.
We've tried putting a bit of oil in it but that didn't help. Is there anybody out there who has got some tips on beard-care?

Sincerely
BabyFirelfy

woolyleprechaun
January 14th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I do indeed :) I find coconut oil works very well on many beards. Also, as beards are often curly, I highly reccomend C/O washing and not touching until dry. I make a coconut oil blend for my dad's waist length beard (I put menthol and tea tree in; it helps with his breathing at night, apparently) and I lightly oil my husbands with almond as a pre wash. hope that helps!

BabyFirefly
January 14th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Thank you! He will be put on a cocnut oil regime and I hope this helps. He is threatening (sp?) to cut it of if we can't stop the tangles and knots. :( How much oil should we use? I'm only used to my hair, and it only needs very small amounts of oil but I guess that beards need more. It is very coarse and probably quite dry since he doesn't moisturize or oil it. But thanks a million for your help woolyleprechaun!

agoddess2die4
January 14th, 2013, 05:52 PM
My mister has a nice beard growing too. I had been fighting him to get some leave-in conditioner in his beard because "men don't wear that stuff." lol. But once I got it on there and he felt the softness, he won't stop using it. :D I think S&D is also very important for the beard. His hairs split like crazy. That's something I have to help with though, hard to see your own beard hairs clearly.

Dragon
January 15th, 2013, 01:08 AM
A guy I use to know, He would wash it with conditioner and leave some of the conditioner in it.
His beard always looked nice.

Mya
January 15th, 2013, 03:10 AM
Shea butter (in the evening) will make beard hair much softer (the morning after), which could help in keeping it tidy and untangled.

BabyFirefly
January 15th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Great advice everyone! I will get him a good leave in, he didn't seem to keen on the coconut oil thing but hopefully he will use a leave in. I think one of the problems with the oils is that he doesn't see the results right away so maybe something coney will be better for him. Off to the shops to search for leave ins!
S&D session booked for to night, I usually just cut of the knots I find when I'm cuddling with his beard but from now on we shall do more thorough S&D:ing.
You guys are great!