PDA

View Full Version : sun damage?

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
i am moving to australia in a few months, and i am worrying about the sun damage i will get while i am there. only going there for a few months but still i am very worried, i usually wear my hear in a bun so i also worry that mayb my hair will get blond on top and then dark at the ends (were the bun is) which i really dont want as the hair ends are already very darker then the top because a few years ago i really wanted it blond on top and brown underneath therefore i spent a hole holiday onnly letting my top part of my hair see the sun, now its dark at the bottom and light underneath. any suggestions? the obvious suggestion would be a hat but i heard they can cause damage to hair and prevent growth? any ideas?best wishes

Anje
August 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Easiest option is to wear a hat, bandana, scarf, or buff over your head to protect the rest of your hair. This has the added bonus of protecting your scalp and any parts that may occur there (intentionally or not) from getting sunburned. (Yes, I've sunburned my scalp, not just my part, when my hair was up/back. My hair isn't even particularly thin on top, but it happened anyway.)

You probably could also spray or comb through some sunscreen in that hair. Chances are it'll look greasy and will need to be shampooed out, though.

pdy2kn6
August 25th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Easiest option is to wear a hat, bandana, scarf, or buff over your head to protect the rest of your hair. This has the added bonus of protecting your scalp and any parts that may occur there (intentionally or not) from getting sunburned. (Yes, I've sunburned my scalp, not just my part, when my hair was up/back. My hair isn't even particularly thin on top, but it happened anyway.)

You probably could also spray or comb through some sunscreen in that hair. Chances are it'll look greasy and will need to be shampooed out, though.

o yee i have had many holidays where i have burnt my scalp. it is PAIIIIIIIIINFUUUUUUUUULLL, everytime u put ur fingers thru ur hair. trhanks so much for the advice, ill buy one b4 i leave.

GlennaGirl
August 25th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I had this concern when moving from the northeast to the southwest. Really, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I'd have thought it would be. Keep your hair up every time you go out when it's very hot outside; as some have said, wear a hat or a bandanna if it's hot enough that your scalp feels hot; tuck the ends under or into something whenever you can. Other than that, COing has helped me maintain a lot of moisture. HTH. :flower: