PDA

View Full Version : Cinnamon bun with schrunchie = damaging?

Radiohead
January 14th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Hey y'all! :)

I just joined LHC after lurking around a bit. I have thick hair approaching waist length and I've been looking for ways to get it out of my face without causing loads and loads of damage.

I sleep with a single braid and secure it with a schrunchie, and i used to ponytail quite a lot during the day (only held with schrunchies), but I've stopped that after learning how damaging it can be. Now, I swear by a semi-high/high cinnamon bun only secured with a scrunchie, but is that, too, a damaging hairstyle? It isn't awfully tight, but for it to sit at that height it can't be totally loose, of course. I've been looking at some of the styles with hairsticks and even though I LOVE them, I think I'd get some pretty funny looks at school if I wore them (not that I don't with scrunchies, but oh well, I wear it mostly loose at school anyways :rolleyes:)

ravenreed
January 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I don't know that you need to worry quite so much. Scrunchies are fairly gentle. I ponytail my hair quite a bit and it survives just fine. Check to see if you are getting any split ends or broken hairs at the area where you would pony tail and if you don't see any, go ahead and ponytail your hair. Try to switch up your hairstyles a bit if you can, because that reduces the likelihood of damage in one area of your hair.

jojo
January 15th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Ive used a scrunchie to secure a bun forever and cant say ive ever noticed any damage, in fact ive been led to believe they are a hair friendly way of securing hair.

Out of interest in what way have you been told they are not good for the hair?

~honeyflower~
January 15th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Howdy!

I don't think it will damage your hair to be honest. The only thing that I think would be damaging would be those scrunchies with the metal things on them. Other than that, go for it!

woolyleprechaun
January 15th, 2013, 05:47 AM
I sleep in a scrunchy bun or braid secured with a scrunchy, and I have no problems. Providing there is no metal/ hard glue bits or a daft material, you should be fine. I have silky ones and velvety ones... Please do try hairsticks!

lunalocks
January 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM
I am one of those who had scrunchie damage. I used to pony with a scrunchie and then exercise, needing to retighten the scrunchie multiple times. I also used a scrunchie to bun, but it was bunning wet hair that caused the most damage.

I did not realize how damaging this was for several years!!!when I rolled my hair up in foam tubes and discovered that the hairs that would have been inside the pony had no damage and the hairs that were outside the pony were ragged and torn away.

At night I bun high up with spin pins. I change out the type of bun so the same hairs are not having to hold those pins all the time. I gave up ponys to grow out the damage, but do them occasionally now. It has made a world of difference.

T

Chromis
January 15th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I found them damaging too. Even nice soft scrunchies gave me damage. Ponytails were the worst, but even using them for buns once I figured out how much damage I got from ponytails still gave me a halo of broken hairs. Before I got my first hairsticks, I used hairpins to keep my buns in place.

kaydana
January 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Given how unfashionable scrunchies are, I doubt you'd get any more funny looks with a hair stick than you would with a scrunchy. If you get a nice sharp looking hair stick people will be too scared of it to say anything but nice things anyway. That said, there are plenty of other options if you'd rather have a hidden method of holding a bun. You can get little U shaped (usually crinkly) hair pins just about anywhere you can buy bobby pins. You might need quite a lot to hold a bun in place, but they usually work. Spin pins are awesome if you can get them. You can also try getting some (aluminium) double pointed knitting needles and folding them in half to make forks.

Chromis
January 15th, 2013, 01:59 PM
I think kids are less likely to try yanking forks out if the OP has some....immature seatmates. Forks are often a little easier to use at first too, although it is pretty hard to find them in person in many places!

jojo
January 17th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the info on scrunchies, i always thought them safe. Will stick to my forks and sticks.