PDA

View Full Version : What is the perfect hair diet? From your experiences?

jessierose
January 13th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I eat very healthy for my hair, skin. I take hair, skin, and nails vitamin and an Iron supplement. I eat eggs, salads, tomatoes, fruits, mixed nuts... what else can I incorporate in my diet? Any super foods?
My goal is to grow to my waist. Thank you!

Fantak
January 15th, 2013, 05:24 AM
Protein for breakfast did wonders for my hair.

Vrindi
January 16th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I'm vegetarian and eat very healthy. So, lots of fruits and vegetables. Lots! I love berries. Frozen fruit and veggies are great when fresh isn't available. Also, for protein, I eat lots of tofu, beans, nuts, and grains like quinoa. Almond and soy milk too. I can't eat wheat or gluten, but I found gluten-free oatmeal, and I have that all the time. I take a good multi-vitamin (Deva brand vegan vitamins) and also whey protein isolate every morning with breakfast. I drink a metric ton of water. No sodas, unless I'm at a movie theater and then I have it to wash down my super-healthy, extra-buttery popcorn ;) I cook with olive oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. I rarely cook with butter. I rarely even bake with it, but for some things I do. Also, I use Braggs amino acids in a lot of my foods.

Basically, a good, healthy diet with plenty of fresh produce, and the least amount of processed foods you can manage, along with healthy amounts of water and exercise will help you grow beautiful hair (and skin, and nails.) Natural oils are wonderful. (Avacados, nuts, olive oils) Multi-vitamins and added protein supplements are great when needed. Since I climb, the added protein was necessary for muscle recovery. All-over health = better hair.

jessierose
January 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I'm vegetarian and eat very healthy. So, lots of fruits and vegetables. Lots! I love berries. Frozen fruit and veggies are great when fresh isn't available. Also, for protein, I eat lots of tofu, beans, nuts, and grains like quinoa. Almond and soy milk too. I can't eat wheat or gluten, but I found gluten-free oatmeal, and I have that all the time. I take a good multi-vitamin (Deva brand vegan vitamins) and also whey protein isolate every morning with breakfast. I drink a metric ton of water. No sodas, unless I'm at a movie theater and then I have it to wash down my super-healthy, extra-buttery popcorn ;) I cook with olive oil, sesame oil, almond oil, etc. I rarely cook with butter. I rarely even bake with it, but for some things I do. Also, I use Braggs amino acids in a lot of my foods.

Basically, a good, healthy diet with plenty of fresh produce, and the least amount of processed foods you can manage, along with healthy amounts of water and exercise will help you grow beautiful hair (and skin, and nails.) Natural oils are wonderful. (Avacados, nuts, olive oils) Multi-vitamins and added protein supplements are great when needed. Since I climb, the added protein was necessary for muscle recovery. All-over health = better hair.

Sounds wonderful! I am going to definitely going to try and eat as healthy as possible. :D

jessierose
January 17th, 2013, 07:24 PM

Sounds wonderful! :D

jessierose
January 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Protein for breakfast did wonders for my hair.

I agree. I usually eat eggs and nuts for breakfast.

Amber_Maiden
January 18th, 2013, 07:19 AM
I always eat a ton of protein- tofu, meat, nuts...

Othala
January 18th, 2013, 07:44 AM
From my personal experience...the Atkins diet made my hair grow strong and fast. The roots felt like they were embedded in iron cores (if that makes sense) and my shedding was very low. From a whole health perspective, Atkins was not good for me, but purely from a hair perspective, it was the best.

jacqueline101
January 18th, 2013, 08:49 AM
I love oatmeal, slim fast powder and milk. I did that along with a piece of fried chicken every night.

Astraea
January 18th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I try to at least meet my daily vitamin and mineral recs for my age/weight/height but your diet sounds great already!

In my case, I rotate powerhouse greens from different families into my smoothies like collards and kale and chard and dandelion, I find time to munch on my favorite French cheeses for protein and calcium (époisses especially!) and am returning to protein shakes, I add an assortment of fruits to my smoothies and snack on any number of them, I'm lousy with beans and grains but I'm trying to throw in a soup or casserole weekly and though seafood and meats weren't on your list I'm partial to prosciutto for protein (and flavor!) and sardines for b12 and D though they have high sodium counts - I'm also trying to learn how to make sardine stuffed grape leaves!

I've honestly found that making an effort to get the most variety of vit/mins in my diet including sunlight, yoga, pilates and massage and releasing toxins (*ahem*) through diet and exercise keeps my hair super strong and growing like a weed!

Also, biotin kept my hair and nails like diamond strong so I'm thinking of going back to it.