PDA

View Full Version : calling the wise people for help ;-)

Kyaatje
January 13th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I'm experiencing something strange with my hair and I want your expert advise :D
I'm washing my hair with a diluted sls shampoo, using conditioner full strength and ending with an ACV rinse. Sometimes I put a heavy layer of coconut oil in before I wash, but I always put a little bit in after washing. This I have been doing for I think 5 or 6 months without any problem.
I've been washing once a week for a month or two now. Sometimes I can only go 5 days sometimes I can go 9 without a problem.
Around New Years I wanted to show of my dip dye so I wanted to wear my hear loose, so I used a coney leave in for the first time in 10 years.
As I said I have a dip dye, this part of my hair is not really in the best condition but instead of cutting it I decided to dip dye it. Bleaching took some toll but I have the dip dye for at least 4 months now I think without experiencing any problem.
All this to get to the problem I'm experiencing now. After using the coney leave in I didn't need to wash for 9 days so I thought everything went all right, but then my hair didn't feel clean after washing (my shampoo didn't want to foam either). The bottom part felt really dry and strange. I thought it had to be the coney leave in, al though I only used it on the dip dyed part. So after 5 days of hating my hair, I washed it with full strength shampoo, I put it in my plopping t-shirt and slept with it like that. In the morning my hair looked and felt fantastic. Unfortunately after one day I have the same problem.
So today I dusted so I hoped to have a little less velcro ends. But it doesn't really feels only velcro-ey but it feels thicker, dryer and strange.
Does anyone have any idea why my hair changed suddenly and what I can do to remedy it ? (I do put coconut oil in the bottom bit and I sleep either with a braid or put in a bun)

Audhumla
January 13th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I think it's pretty clear that the coney serum is the cause of the problem.
Maybe try a CO wash where you wet your hair (whenever you feel like washing but it's probably best not to put any more serum in) then use a coney conditioner with a cone like Amodimethicone (preferably not containing Dimethicone) and massage that into the section of your hair that you put the serum on when you're done massaging wash it out then apply a cone-free conditioner and massage it in then let it sit for as long as you can then massage it out under running water.
For this it's probably better not to put oil on your hair before you wash.
If I was in your situation that's what I'd do.

ravenreed
January 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM
It could also be the coconut oil. I can use it occasionally, but more than a few times in a row and my hair rebels.

jacqueline101
January 13th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Your problem sounds like the products you're using are causing some sort of build up. I'd clarify and try using a different product sounds like the cony product is the cause.

lapushka
January 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Try using the shampoo full strength again and lay off the oil and lay off the serum, just put regular conditioner in your hair and wait a few washes at least before thinking of chopping the ends off.

Allychan
January 13th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Coney stuff and silicon based products can sometimes 'fill in' cracks on the hair shaft. Maybe that's what's happened? Maybe it is still in the cracks of your hair shaft and acting like a sticky glue as the hairs pass eachother?:confused:

Ps not wise just having a guess

Kyaatje
January 13th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Thanks ! I'm not using the coney stuff anymore, just used it the one time. It seemed to me that was the culprit but I found it strange that I would have such a reaction after one time. Build up is in my mind something that takes time (you know to build up ?!)
I'm going to try clarifying (full strength shampoo+some bs ?) and see if that helps. I'm going to put a lot of conditioning in there as well !

Kyaatje
January 14th, 2013, 12:34 AM
ha ! since I don't have time to wash etc today, but my ends looked scraggly again I put a bit of conditioner straight into my dry hair ... and lo and behold : it looks and feels like hair again !
So I tried to think back to when I used to use products with cones and how it felt. And yes I do remember it being dry and hard to handle ! So I guess my hair just doesn't like cones and goes all dry ! So I will look into deep treatments with moisture :-) Anyone has recipes to share ? (other then the renowned SMT ?)

SleepyTangles
January 14th, 2013, 03:39 AM
Not really a recipe, but if you want to oil your hair with less chance of build-up, I would suggest you to apply just a bit on wet hair :).

Kyaatje
January 14th, 2013, 03:42 AM
thanks for the input SleepyTangles :-) That is actually how I started out but I liked the feeling of the oil in my hair so much that I couldn't resist putting more and more in :-)