PDA

View Full Version : How to

W2
January 12th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Do you sometimes figure out something, that is so simple, but just makes a big difference?

Like for instance where to insert the stick in a bun.

I've been doing the lazy bun for a while, and where to put the stick is quite obvious.

But trying to do a figure 8 bun or a infinity bun have provided me with some problems.
I wanted to insert it in the loops, but then the bun were not very secure.

Inserting it through the loops makes a huge difference.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1625&d=1358169156
So from being a bun, that I wanted to learn, it's been my favorite do for the last couple of weeks.

Amazing such difference a little thing can do!

Madora
January 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Yes, as you've discovered, if you just play around with placement, you discover how your hair does (or does not) like to be fastened. Sometimes it is just a matter of tinkering until you hit the comfiest fit..or perhaps loosening the bun just a smidgen so that everything jells.

melusine963
January 12th, 2013, 12:51 PM
It took me a bit of trial and error before I figured out exactly how to position my spin pins for a successful cinnabun. Now it's my most common style. :)

spidermom
January 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
And then there are days when nothing, but nothing, works.

spirals
January 12th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Buns don't work well for me. No matter how I put the stick, the bun is too heavy and pulls on my hair. Buns hurt. But I can do half-ups with sticks. I do a stick bun, but have to pull the stick out and re-insert it to get it right. It works.

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Just a month ago I learned how to braid I know its not the best example but you do have sense of pride when you achieve something.

AnqeIicDemise
January 12th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Just a month ago I learned how to braid I know its not the best example but you do have sense of pride when you achieve something.

Woooooo!! Congrats! This is like finding a key to a whole new world...lots of new stylss for you to play with abound!

lunalocks
January 12th, 2013, 06:38 PM
I never could get a stick to "stick" in my hair. it would just fall out. Then I discovered that if I make one of the buns tat starts with a loop that, in the end gets pulled over the bun, the stick will stay when inside that loop and through the bun and then out of the loop again. It was magic.

Spin pins were another magical revelation.

Dorothy
January 12th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I like to hold my hair up in a gibralter with a bone bodkin, a sewing tool from the last century. They're very smooth and hair safe. Many are short, but some are long enough for me to use, esp. if I insert them all the way, so they disappear. I put it straight in from the outer coil, through to the other outer coil. No pulling. You can get then on Ebay but I got my first ones in thrift stores and with family sewing stuff. You may already have one. Here's a pic of some, not mine, just a pic.http://s9.postimage.org/pgggo7qor/bone_bodkins.jpg (http://postimage.org/image/pgggo7qor/)

Seeshami
January 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM
The Peyote stitch was kinda like that for me. One day I had no idea how to and then the next it just clicked and I smacked my forehead and said DUH!