PDA

View Full Version : Should I disable JAVA?

PetuniaBlossom
January 12th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I'm seeing a lot of articles online warning that JAVA has serious security issues that are allowing malicious hackers to get in. I'm pathetically computer illiterate and don't know if I should go ahead and disable JAVA or if it's not that big a deal. Does anyone with computer savvy have a recommendation?
Mods, if this isn't the appropriate forum for this thread, please move it where it belongs. Thanks.

EdG
January 12th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Yes, you should disable Java. Very few websites use it, so you won't likely miss it.

Directions for Internet Explorer are here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961173.aspx
(Scroll down to Java)

Directions for Firefox are here: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20turn%20off%20Java%20applets

Note that Java and Javascript are different things. The security vulnerability is in Java.
Ed

PetuniaBlossom
January 12th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Thanks so much, Ed. I'll do it right away. You're a lifesaver!
:cheer:

Fairlight63
January 12th, 2013, 06:57 AM
Thank you also! I was not sure how to go about it also & if it would mess up my computer so that I would not be able to get on line.

pocketsmall
January 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I wish I could disable JAVA on my laptop, but I need it for my online class :mad:

dollyfish
January 12th, 2013, 09:02 AM
If you use firefox, I recommend downloading this: http://noscript.net/

It's called "No Script" and it by default halts all the potentially harmful scripts on websites you visit. It shows itself as a tiny hideable bar, so you have the option to do things like "allow scripts globally (dangerous)," "allow all this page," "temporarily allow all this page," etc. It's wonderful. I had no idea how many unnecessary scripts were running all over the place, slowing down my computer, and loading crap like ads and cookies into my browser without my knowledge. As someone also computer illiterate, this program is great because it does this stuff for me :D

This way, I can disable things like java, javascript, flash, and other harmful cookies and scripts, while still being able to use them selectively for my school work, email, facebook, etc, with the "allow all this page" option.

PetuniaBlossom
January 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Dollyfish. I just did it and feel a lot safer now, as well. If there are any other steps I can take to be safer online, I'd be happy to implement them. Feeling like a goldfish in a shark tank with all the nasty things out there these days. *sigh*

akilina
January 12th, 2013, 11:44 AM
PetuniaBlossom- I am very biased but if you are using Internet Explorer I would suggest getting Firefox instead.
Like I said..I am biased..I hate IE and find it incredibly obnoxious and un-necessary. When I finally got firefox I knew I would never go back.

Edit: I feel like Firefox is a lot safer..and I love how you can completely customize it to look how you want. Idk if IE does that now but I disliked most that with IE, I could not customize anything.

Maha
January 12th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Sadly, my online homework uses JAVA so I have to keep it.
This computer is bad anyways so it doesn't really matter, lol.

But nice to know about the security problems with it. I never would have thought.
I've been using JAVA for years and never had a problem yet.

PetuniaBlossom
January 12th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Yes, Akilina, I am using Firefox these days, thanks...a kind soul advised me to switch away from Internet Explorer about two years ago and I've never looked back. I'm not techno-savvy enough to know why I prefer it, just that I do prefer it.