PDA

View Full Version : Best buns for pins?

Aliped
January 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I usually use a 7 inch hair stick to hold a nautilus or a Celtic knot bunsolidly all day. However I have recentlyacquired two beautiful ‘pins’. These arebasically very short forks (3.5 inches long) but because they aren’t longenough to go in one side of my bun and out the other (TBL hair) I am havingdifficulty keeping my bun held securely.

Any suggestions? I wear my hair in a bunevery day, so damage from elastics is a problem, and I do not want to use them…

neko_kawaii
January 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Could you do two smaller buns? I'd also be interested in suggested solutions as I hope to have this problem some day!

Natalia
January 11th, 2013, 05:18 PM
You say pins do you mean metal? If so they sound like u pins which hold cinnabuns very well that was my go to for years before i got sticks. Double buns or braided buns are great for those too.

kaydana
January 11th, 2013, 05:22 PM
How about using spin pins, amish pins, those forks you can make by folding double pointed knitting needles in half or some other hidden toy to secure the bun, then use the pretty pins as decoration?

Aliped
January 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys, they are gorgeous antler wishbone hair forks. I love them, but they are so much smaller than what I am used to (functional length = 3 inches). I have tried cinnabun (as suggested above) and that seems to be holding quite well.
Cheers

neko_kawaii
January 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I wonder if a flipped cinnamon bun would work as well. The flip part would hold the bottom coils in place while the antlers held the top. (Antler forks are on my wishlist, I'm quite jealous!)

Aliped
January 11th, 2013, 06:51 PM
A Cinnamon bun is working out great! (I think this might be my new go-to bun). It's a different technique weaving through all the layers, than a stick, which kind of goes in and behind the bun....

(Antler forks are on my wishlist, I'm quite jealous!) :) NK, they were on my wishlist for about six months and they are so pretty!

Yozhik
January 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Ooh, those pins sound gorgeous! I'd love to see action pics if you have any. :flower:

I usually wear pins in braided buns (if I want more of the bun to be visible), cinnabuns, ellingswoman buns, double vertical bunds, and vortex buns. :)

door72067
January 11th, 2013, 07:37 PM
what if you used spin pins as the *working* hardware and the antler forks stuck in just as decoration?