PDA

View Full Version : About velcro ends :)

Chanie
January 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
So ive been doing a lot of thinking about this and here it goes.

back when i was using cheap cone shampoo and conditioner my hair was never like this! (I get velcro ends from time to time) i didnt even know what it was back then.

I have very hard water, i use protein treatments as my hair has been very stretchy, and i can feel a positive diffrence with the protein! Also my hair has had velcro ends in periods with no protein! So i dont think this is the problem!

When i clarify my hair feels amazing (my clarifyer has lots of sls in it)

so i was wondering, could it be better for hair who lives with hard water to go back to an sls routine with "normal" sls shampoo or what?? What is your clever thoughts on this? Or should i just stick to my routine with no sls and a clarifyer once in a while?

Actually when i think about it my hair was way better 2 years ago even with sls and bleaches every month.

on all my photos in here i have used sls free poos... So i cant even show you the difference

jhator
January 11th, 2013, 03:21 PM
Go with what your hair likes. I've tried loads of sls/silicone free products and ended up developing an allergy something (I'm not sure but I think it's cocos nucifera - coconut). I now use Head and Shoulders and my hair looks better than it did when I was messing about with more natural alternatives!

By all means, keep experimenting if you want to but don't feel guilt-tripped into certain routines - everyones hair and scalp are different and only you can know what's best for you :)

embee
January 11th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Every body is different. Do what works for *you*. :)

One of the Big Things is to enjoy your hair... not fret over it.

amantha
January 11th, 2013, 05:05 PM
I have hard water too and I had a similar problem when I went sls/cone free. My hair got super dry, ends felt like velcro, and had tons of splits. I went back to cheap sls shampoo with coney conditioners and my hair finally feels normal again. It still has splits, but I don't think new ones are developing nearly as much. At least it's soft and shiny now. :)

Chanie
January 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Thank you! Then i might give my old routine a try again with sls and see how it works, cause this is freaky :)

ravenreed
January 11th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I have extremely hard water and CO successfully. I rarely use shampoos, SLS or otherwise, and never cones. However, if they work for you, use them.

Lilli
January 12th, 2013, 06:52 AM
I have hard water and I always clarify with a chelating shampoo once a week and definitely before any protein treatment because protein + hard water = sticky, tangly hair. If I do this routine, I can use non-SLS stuff the rest of the time.

melusine963
January 12th, 2013, 08:19 AM
No advice on the shampoo front, but have you thought about getting a shower head filter to prevent so many minerals getting deposited on your hair every time you wash it? This might reduce the need for clarifying in the first place.

jacqueline101
January 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Mine does this when it needs clarified. My ends get buildup and velcro like.

Dovetail
January 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I think I've read on here, that vinegar rinses can help with hard water. I think it was 1 TBL : 1 CUP vinegar:water

Here are a few links:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109531
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19071
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=109618

I personally have hard water (it leaves calcium and what not all over the shower head and in my dishwasher!) I did do a white vinegar rinse and it helped SO MUCH . My husband gags at the smell though (it doesn't smell when dry just wet) and whined enough about it that I gave up.

jeanniet
January 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I have hard water (well) and can't use SLS or cones. My hair just hates them. I do citric acid rinses, and rarely need to clarify. However, if SLS and cones have worked for you in the past, I'd go back to using them. You need to do whatever works best for your hair.

lapushka
January 12th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I agree with everyone who says do what your hair likes. You may want to use sulfate free but your hair may resist, which it is doing. So, yes, I'd go back to your previous routine. And velcro ends do not have to be cut, they just need moisture. Lots and I mean *lots* of conditioning.

spirals
January 12th, 2013, 02:12 PM
I have velcro ends no matter what I do, so I do what most of my hair/scalp likes and deal with the ends. That means when I do comb/brush (not often, as I'm a curly) I oil the ends first. I still get splits from it, but they are just the last 1/16" or 1/8". They don't tend to travel too far up the hair shaft, and a good S&D takes care of most. My hair has always been this way, detergent or not, braid at night or loose, whatever I do. I guess it's just dry.

Chanie
January 12th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you for all your answers! Ive found out that my hair loves smt's so i think i will do one again soon and order some good sls shampoo to try out and see what works. Funny how hair acts (: